Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Exhibit A of why the federal conservative don’t want Ford campaigning with them.

https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/on/doug-fords-a-republican-according-to-his-announcement-in-the-us

quote:

While on a business trip in Ohio this week, Ford met with Alberta Premier Jason Kenney, and Governor Mike DeWine, to discuss protectionist policies in the United States and Canada. During the conversation, Ford is reported to have said, “God bless the President and don’t get me wrong. Full disclosure: I’m a big Republican.”

He went on to add, “I’m a supporter, conservative-minded and Jason [Kenney] is probably more Conservative than I am!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

There isn't a boot heel up to the task of crushing a creature so low and flat as the Canadian who lauds the America First policies of our fascist southern neighbours. What a pathetic piece of poo poo our blob premier is.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Jordan7hm posted:

Man there are a ton of Taman NDP signs in the glebe. And zero McKenna signs.

Which tells you a lot about the modern NDP given almost every house there is worth >1m.

What section of the Glebe cause uh, between Bronson/Bank from Chamberlain to Fifth I see a fuckton of McKenna and more Green then NDP

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I can’t believe it took almost four years for Trudeau to come out as a gamer.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

acumen posted:

My riding doesn't even have an ndp or green candidate. Options are:

CPC
PPC
Libertarian
Christian Heritage
Liberal

I sent the ndp an email offering to be their candidate so all three of us in the area don't have to spoil our votes but they haven't responded :shrug:

Second of three here. Hello neighbour.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

littleorv posted:

I can’t believe it took almost four years for Trudeau to come out as a gamer.

Justin Trudeau: “I’m going to say the N(DP) word”

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
A part of me wants to see Trudeau go full cynic and campaign on electoral reform again. "Now THIS will be the last election contested under first past the post".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

You say that like Sisko didn't commit a fuckton of war crimes on DS9 either :colbert:

The correct answer is Picard anyway

He at least admitted it. By nature of Voyager's standalone episode format Janeway forgets everything she's ever done at the end of each episode.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
How much does it cost to run a candidate in any particular riding? The half full slate couldn't be because of fundraising shortfalls right? It cant be that bad

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

How much does it cost to run a candidate in any particular riding? The half full slate couldn't be because of fundraising shortfalls right? It cant be that bad

According to someone earlier in the thread, it's because NDP HQ are taking months and months to vet candidates. There were stories about people putting their names forward as far back as like February and sending them off to NDP HQ and HQ saying "okay we'll vet them and get back to you" and then never hearing back. Which could, in the end, be money-related if it has to do with how many staffers (and how high-quality those staffers are) they have doing the work at NDP HQ.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

It could be due to fundraising shortfall and the fact that NDP staffers are paid more with benefits, that there is full shortage of party employees to process paperwork and set up nomination meetings

Also what was posted above me tied into that too

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

vyelkin posted:

According to someone earlier in the thread, it's because NDP HQ are taking months and months to vet candidates. There were stories about people putting their names forward as far back as like February and sending them off to NDP HQ and HQ saying "okay we'll vet them and get back to you" and then never hearing back. Which could, in the end, be money-related if it has to do with how many staffers (and how high-quality those staffers are) they have doing the work at NDP HQ.

Kind of a death spiral then :( but that tracks. If all their fundraising centers only on email donation drives and no on the ground movement building there's just no enthusiasm.

gently caress me what a mess of an election

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bunnyofdoom posted:

What section of the Glebe cause uh, between Bronson/Bank from Chamberlain to Fifth I see a fuckton of McKenna and more Green then NDP

South of Landsdowne / colonel by. Like near hopewell.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

It could be due to fundraising shortfall and the fact that NDP staffers are paid more with benefits, that there is full shortage of party employees to process paperwork and set up nomination meetings

Also what was posted above me tied into that too

Yes, though obviously now that we're in an election there are no longer "nomination meetings".

The "there are no NDP candidates" narrative also just isn't... true anymore? The NDP lists 317/338 candidates on their web page right now, and they'll almost certainly get to or near 338. The paperwork for all of them might not be processed with EC yet, which is why not all of them show up on the elections Canada website, but they've got until next Monday to sort that out.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

South of Landsdowne / colonel by. Like near hopewell.

That's not the Glebe, that's old Ottawa South. (I grew up in the Glebe. That's why I'm such a smug bastard)

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yes, though obviously now that we're in an election there are no longer "nomination meetings".

The "there are no NDP candidates" narrative also just isn't... true anymore? The NDP lists 317/338 candidates on their web page right now, and they'll almost certainly get to or near 338. The paperwork for all of them might not be processed with EC yet, which is why not all of them show up on the elections Canada website, but they've got until next Monday to sort that out.

Fair point. I mean, I know that after the writ was dropped, LPC still used the term nomination meeting. Heck, even the Orleans one, where there was a vote on the candidate was a nomination meeting.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Lassitude posted:

There isn't a boot heel up to the task of crushing a creature so low and flat as the Canadian who lauds the America First policies of our fascist southern neighbours. What a pathetic piece of poo poo our blob premier is.

If Trump is the Padiashah Emperor, and Ford is the Baron Harkonnen... Who would Jason Kenny be?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Guigui posted:

If Trump is the Padiashah Emperor, and Ford is the Baron Harkonnen... Who would Jason Kenny be?

A slig

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Guigui posted:

A Guild Navigator? Mutated into a grotesque human-like monstrosity by over consumption of the spice/oil?

”Wikipedia” posted:

Guild Navigators not only consume large quantities of the tar sands, but are also continuously immersed in highly concentrated amounts of orange oil gas. This level of extreme and extended exposure causes their bodies to atrophy and mutate over time

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Doug Ford is sooooo not the Baron, he's more like Beast Rabban.

Who are the Atreides in this scenario?

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

bunnyofdoom posted:

That's not the Glebe, that's old Ottawa South. (I grew up in the Glebe. That's why I'm such a smug bastard)

That explains it ;)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Aces High posted:

Doug Ford is sooooo not the Baron, he's more like Beast Rabban.

Who are the Atreides in this scenario?

Doug Ford is a sand worm

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

The Dune analogies are good because every character in that series is weird and lovely so you can just take your pick really.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

vyelkin posted:

Doug Ford is a sand worm

A mindless, rapacious, gargantuan creature that can be steered to useful ends with cunning and the right equipment?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/Cam_Oflage/status/1175567098191310848

they suck

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao the GPC is actually the worst

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I know it's not Dune but I always got this vibe

Also to be clear, this isn't a fat joke; it's just that I think Doug Ford is an alien slug who'd happily enslave us all if he thought he could get away with it.

Hilariously, this popped up:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

BGrifter posted:

A part of me wants to see Trudeau go full cynic and campaign on electoral reform again. "Now THIS will be the last election contested under first past the post".

I'm really the third-strongest mole in this cave!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

flakeloaf posted:

:anime:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Third most racist party leader

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

lol it's the "the beatings will stop once morale improves" joke except it's a political platform

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

flakeloaf posted:

Oh my god we're going to be the new Boomers.

Back in my day, HP rolled down on a meter!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Reality Sinner posted:

Third most racist party leader

You could say this about anyone except the PPC at this point and I would probably just nod?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

The Glebe Green candidate is a former NDPer who got wise.

Also, the election makes it easy to see where the rental houses owned by people living elsewhere are. They have conservative signs up.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I'm in Ottawa-Centre andy neighbour flipped from volunteering for the NDP last election to volunteers for the PPC this time. He's a weird guy.

I saw that the Carleton PPC association tried to set up an event at pour boy on Somerset
The bar shut it down immediately (they are good people)

https://www.facebook.com/244030535740869/posts/1895782440565662/?substory_index=0

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Literally half this thread is Ottawa centre. Might as well start a trivia team or something.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
My local NDP candidate is non competitive, and my local Green candidate seems solid and is anecdotally winning the lawn sign game (Mike Morrice, Kitchener Centre).

https://www.therecord.com/opinion-s...h-in-kitchener/

Am I an idiot if after five minutes of thinking I'm leaning his way? Can't loving bear to vote Liberal again.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Strategic voting is dumb don't do it. The greens are poo poo.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Alizee posted:

Literally half this thread is Ottawa centre. Might as well start a trivia team or something.

pretty sure the other half is Vancouver

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CRISPYBABY posted:

My local NDP candidate is non competitive, and my local Green candidate seems solid and is anecdotally winning the lawn sign game (Mike Morrice, Kitchener Centre).

Am I an idiot if after five minutes of thinking I'm leaning his way? Can't loving bear to vote Liberal again.

That's my riding too and I'll be voting NDP. The Greens are awful and the riding elected an NDP candidate in the provincial election last year so don't write them off in the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CRISPYBABY posted:

Vote lib or be ok with CPC winning a close riding.

http://338canada.com/districts/35045e.htm