Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
IIRC in any given year there are roughly 36 manga chapters published, which is converted into 48 anime episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ok they goofed, you can't adapt slower than DBZ, that should be official policy. The DBZ law, can't go lower than 1 chapter per ep.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's very important to cut every corner and minimize every expense with a minimally popular property like One Piece.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

My girlfriend is going through the anime right now for the first time. She's not very well versed in anime (she's seen DBZ , Pokemon, Sailor Moon, and Cowboy Bebop and nothing else), and doesn't have a big desire to watch a lot of anime, but loves OP.

She just made it up to the Davy Back arc, so far Chopper is her favorite Straw Hat by far, and her favorite things about the show is the goofy faces ('shark faces' as she calls them), and that it never takes itself TOO seriously.

She also thought Bellamy was a huge edgelord and was very happy when he got chumped.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

My girlfriend is going through the anime right now for the first time. She's not very well versed in anime (she's seen DBZ , Pokemon, Sailor Moon, and Cowboy Bebop and nothing else), and doesn't have a big desire to watch a lot of anime, but loves OP.

She just made it up to the Davy Back arc, so far Chopper is her favorite Straw Hat by far, and her favorite things about the show is the goofy faces ('shark faces' as she calls them), and that it never takes itself TOO seriously.

She also thought Bellamy was a huge edgelord and was very happy when he got chumped.

She's going to love Dressrosa where the ridiculous face is a plot point.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The new Anime OP is out, and while it's interesting and cool in its it's own right, there are so many spoilers in there, including at least one major spoiler, that I feel bad for the anime watchers since they're gonna lose the surprise of so many big moments in this upcoming arc.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Julias posted:

The new Anime OP is out, and while it's interesting and cool in its it's own right, there are so many spoilers in there, including at least one major spoiler, that I feel bad for the anime watchers since they're gonna lose the surprise of so many big moments in this upcoming arc.

Came here to say this. I am an anime only watcher and it was pretty obvious that some of those moments were supposed to be big reveals.

Also it's good to see my boy Zoro again

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Julias posted:

This is one of the big reasons I never watch the openings. I just skip them completely. THanks for the heads up anyway :)

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Yep, got me too. Really sucked. I need to stop watching the openings like the poster above me. The songs haven't been great in a long time either anyway.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

That's some overwhelmingly good animation and direction. I immediately had to tell myself there's no way it'll last. A vision of what could be.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So is the Wano arc really good or is it just really popular because the crew goes to not-Japan?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SpartanIvy posted:

So is the Wano arc really good or is it just really popular because the crew goes to not-Japan?

It’s still going on in the manga currently but yes, it’s very good.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I have a Hulu and Crunchyroll subscription. Hulu has season 1-11 (ending at ep 750) and Crunchyroll is all caught up I believe. I prefer the Hulu app for streaming to my TV so would I be missing out on anything if I watched it Hulu until I run of episodes there (which probably won't be for quite a while)? I don't know if there are any small differences in their catalogues to due licensing issues or something

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 11, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I have a Hulu and Crunchyroll subscription. Hulu has season 1-11 (ending at ep 750) and Crunchyroll is all caught up I believe. I prefer the Hulu app for streaming to my TV so would I be missing out on anything if I watched it Hulu until I run of episodes there (which probably won't be for quite a while)? I don't know if there are any small differences in their catalogues to due licensing issues or something

There is literally no difference as far as I know, watch however you like.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Larryb posted:

There is literally no difference as far as I know, watch however you like.

cool though looking at it closer, Crunchyroll had HD versions (remasters? upconverts?) of the first few seasons so i'll probably check the both out

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I marathoned One Piece up to the present episode back in 2016 or so, and the Crunchyroll widescreen remasters are worth their weight in gold. I originally started watching the true originals and while the nostalgia was cool, it quickly wore off.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Man it is amazing what a new animation style and soundtrack does to make the show fresh again. I'm back to watching out of love instead of a vague sense of obligation and wanting to see certain key scenes in motion.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It sucks to hear the dub isn't doing much. I watched up through Alabasta many years ago when the Big Three were still a thing. I was not impressed. Also all the cool stuff people were talking about were years and years in the future. But back at the end of 2017 I finally picked up where I left off and I discovered that OP really was That Damned Good. The hype really killed it for me years ago but Skypiea and especially Water 7 and beyond live up to that hype. Even Thriller Bark - which I was not a huge fan of - had Brook's backstory which made it all worth it.

And of course Funi did a great job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWRSUZkNh3g

"Okay...everybody just leave Whitebeard alone I guess...."

My main criticisms of OP are:
1. Death fake-outs. Maybe it's because I only recently joined the OP fandom but back when I was active in anime discussions I only ever heard the meme of "nobody dies in Bleach." With OP, I was amazed at the kill count in Skypiea. They were some brutal ends, too. Except not.

2. "Pretty Women Can't Get Hurt." Shounen don't exactly do women well but this is a truly unique problem in my experience. Explains why so many detest Boa Hancock.How can there be drama when the writer is determined not to let a powerful character get beat up?

But given OP's overwhelming pros like worldbuilding and magic systems, these flaws don't bother me too much. The second one is a bigger hang-up for me because I really don't like Nami. Water 7 made CP9 so intimidating and then Nami has a Fanservice Battle with Kalifa. I don't like Nami's character and she can't even get in good fights anymore. I remember how brutal her fight with Ms. Doublefinger was but apparently that is no more.

But yeah, I am awed by Oda's consistent storytelling. Everything that happens matters. It's a rare trait in a lot of battle shounen.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
nobody despises boa hancock......shes great

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The thing about Nami is that her greatest strength is her intelligence, wit, and ability to manipulate others. Now that doesn't make for exciting fights, but it does make her a strong part of the crew and essential to a lot of their wins. For example: how she tamed Zeus.

Also yeah, Boa Hancock is amazing.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

WTH, how is watching a character beat a physically superior opponent through their wits not exciting? :confused:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i love hancock

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

sharrrk posted:

i love hancock

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Boa's great. But yeah, I agree about pretty women not getting into intense fight stuff. Robin was beaten up pretty nasty in Dressrosa. On the other hand, that same fight I think Oda did Rebecca real dirty.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh poo poo new Chapter! https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/one-piece-2/en/0/951/page/1

:allears:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

this be the anime thread friend

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shimata~

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure all the girls get beat up. Which is not something I ever thought I would say as a compliment for something.
It's awful though the amount of sexual harassment the female characters have to endure though. That last bath scene was particularly bad.

Also this was darker than I expected from One Piece:

I love how the non-name filler guy thought the power of carbonated beverages was enough to defeat both a Shijibukai and a Yonko at the same time.

I was thinking recently how Zoro got that cursed sword from way in the beginning but nothing ever came of it. I'm ecstatic they're finally showing another one; excited how it'll play out.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 12, 2019

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The filler was kinda interesting expanding on the carbonation power stuff that Franky uses in the Sunny, and I appreciate that Luffy and Hancock smack down the bad guys with basically no effort, but it came in at a jarring time. I assume it's a non-canon interlude as a tie in to the next movie and at least it was short.

I'm guessing Zoro will get hold of the sword at some point and maybe the curses will cancel out? It seems weird that he has a 'cursed sword' but the nature of the curse is never really expanded on. Unless it's just a bad rep thing and all the previous owners have met a bad end?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

The filler was kinda interesting expanding on the carbonation power stuff that Franky uses in the Sunny, and I appreciate that Luffy and Hancock smack down the bad guys with basically no effort, but it came in at a jarring time. I assume it's a non-canon interlude as a tie in to the next movie and at least it was short.

That’s exactly what it was, yes (they’ve literally done this three times before to promote Strong World, Z and Film Gold).

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I forgot all about zoro's sword being cursed, it literally never mattered.

There's a chance cursed swords are a long running joke, like a thing sword makers invented to increase their value.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

There's a chance cursed swords are a long running joke, like a thing sword makers invented to increase their value.

why do you think he's always lost my friend

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

are you kidding me... it fuckin radiates demonic energy in every boss battle

sorry for my brusque manner but I'm jonesing for my chapter fix

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Centzon Totochtin posted:

cool though looking at it closer, Crunchyroll had HD versions (remasters? upconverts?) of the first few seasons so i'll probably check the both out

they're upscaled crops, op: https://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-900459/one-piece-special-edition-hd-announcement

HD versions of the first 5(?) seasons do not exist, they're from an era where TV anime production just went all digital, but they didn't really think ahead about resolution, so there's no source of higher resolution episodes. Watch the 4:3 ones if you can, the crops are mostly fine but there's some scenes where it's quite clumsy.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
All the owners of the three cursed swords were met terrible fates. Though I imagine most wielders of most swords in that universe meet terrible fates, so I wonder how they knew those in particular were cursed.

Zoro challenged the curse of the sword against his luck by tossing it in the air and offering it his arm.

Cat Machine posted:

are you kidding me... it fuckin radiates demonic energy in every boss battle

sorry for my brusque manner but I'm jonesing for my chapter fix

I don't think it's the cursed sword in particular that gives off the sinister aura.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Holy crap Luffy actually remembered he has Conquerer's Haki (or whatever the gently caress they translate it as nowadays).

Also I just found out about this and realised a frigging Noodle company cares more about animation quality than the producers of the actual show, I want a short spin off OVA of this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w8LrMhTQrg

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
To be fair they probably had the same budget for a 1 minute commercial as the producers have for an entire episode, and considerably less of a time crunch.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Even the recaps have begun to be insufferably slow.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/mbluettart/status/1175914354253926400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

It's only 2 minutes, but it feels like 4 lifetimes.