Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I like puppet combo and that sounds like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I kinda like the idea of the noclip thing mainly because to me it reads like "whoops, there has been a glitch in reality, now you are stuck in the endless abyss of whatever that exists outside of the 3D boundaries of our reality" but the way day 7 handled it was...not great

Hinting that the player character once went into the backrooms before and had successfully escaped was interesting and him meeting up with and trying to survive with another person was interesting as well and ending up in the red rooms or the metal areas or seeing the place get more and more hosed up as you travel with the geometry making less and less sense worked pretty well in showing the degradation of the whole thing. However, it just kills off the person you meet after a short time, the little girl is never explained, you just come across a guy who murders the person you were trying to survive with and then you put on a mask and become a killer the end doot doot doot

What a waste

There’s a “good” ending no one (?) has discovered so who knows how that changes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Black August posted:

You want to know the real gently caress of it? The absolute pisser?

I wrote the original backrooms paragraph. I’ve been goddamn weirded out to discover it’s suddenly a small phenomena.

Congratulations on on, uh...this!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Black August posted:

You want to know the real gently caress of it? The absolute pisser?

I wrote the original backrooms paragraph. I’ve been goddamn weirded out to discover it’s suddenly a small phenomena.

It's a clever prompt, the idea of there being an infinite network of banal empty rooms behind what we consider reality is eerie as hell, like a backstage without an obvious route back to the scene. Sorry it got coopted by the D E E P L O R E crowd so it follows only the blandest and most obvious of tropes and twists now :cripes:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
*takes literally any idea for a game ever*

Hey... what if... heh... what if... this idea... but... player...? BAD guy... yeah that's right... this is a DEEP game... not just... some regular game... heh...

*refreshes the Game Theory YouTube channel until the F5 key breaks*

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's funny because Michigan blue hell (something I posted about in p/c) is another take on the backrooms, where there's a place of power in Michigan where reality is weak because of a native god being sealed away and if you gently caress around there for too long you 'fall out' of our dimension into nothingness. It's close, anyway.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

As an aside I wish PC was closer to /x/ or the old gamefaqs conspiracy board but instead its like two or three people taking it semi-seriously and other people making gbs tier jokes but about ghosts.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Let us all sit back and appreciate that we live in a world where loving Necrovision got an ex-pack.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

As an aside I wish PC was closer to /x/ or the old gamefaqs conspiracy board but instead its like two or three people taking it semi-seriously and other people making gbs tier jokes but about ghosts.

Man I remember reading the old P/C forum on gamefaqs and all those old threads about ghosts and poo poo

I also remember the weird thing going on that was about some time traveler/demigod that had managed to connect to our specific time and dimension through the medium of AOL Instant Messenger and was attempting to find a person to transfer their power and being to so that they could fully cross over.

I also also remember this one thread that had a "spooky" pic of like someone's creepy doll in a bathroom but it was a very dark pic so you could only barely see the doll and then someone else came along and was like "hey I looked at your pic with thermal imaging and found out that that doll thing is giving off heat like it is alive" lmao

I wanna see some games about weird horror poo poo like that, games that aren't afraid to be weird without going down the tired road of "well ok time to get gory because that's what is expected."

Anatomy was a very good game along those lines.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Grapplejack posted:

You know that anyone can make a thread right

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I explained it in some other thread but backrooms was a 2am too-high trawl for horror content in a boredom fit which ended with me writing What If Gross Empty Office Space Unused Map as a one second blurb in the style of old Unknown Armies short prompts

I had no loving clue I managed to slam a psychic nerve for small horror until like 3 months later :psyduck:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Danaru posted:

It's a clever prompt, the idea of there being an infinite network of banal empty rooms behind what we consider reality is eerie as hell, like a backstage without an obvious route back to the scene. Sorry it got coopted by the D E E P L O R E crowd so it follows only the blandest and most obvious of tropes and twists now :cripes:

Thanks. I got a dozen other surrealist ideas in the same vein, all Backrooms was really was the image as a prompt to a quick idea. I didn’t think the image and idea would resonate as bizarrely strong. I posted at like 3am! How the HELL did it propagate?!

:iiam:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

You know that anyone can make a thread right

Anyone can make a thread but the actual posting environment and society is different so the outcome and response is gonna be different from what they would like to see

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Weird question. What about Creative Convention?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Disposable Scud posted:

Let us all sit back and appreciate that we live in a world where loving Necrovision got an ex-pack.

I'll appreciate it more when it gets a sequel.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The "Procedural horror dungeons with realistic guns and reloading mechanics" a la Receiver thing is currently available as a mode in VR game Hotdogs Horseshoes and Hand Grenades:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gw4NtHesy8&t=1035s

Due to the nature of the game as a gun simulator first and foremost there's a shitload of guns with fully detailed reloading mechanics including being able to unload and load magazines by the bullet. Since you have to do all of this physically you can carry mags in pockets on your body and have to release, pocket, pull a new mag, load it and rack the slide, pump or charge it the gun (Or whatever it requires). You can even perform brass checks as the mags contents are simulated. To be fair it's not as abstracted as Receiver but if you're looking for fumbling reloads, you really can't do better than actually physically fumbling due to nerves when put into a tight situation.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 22, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Black August posted:

I explained it in some other thread but backrooms was a 2am too-high trawl for horror content in a boredom fit which ended with me writing What If Gross Empty Office Space Unused Map as a one second blurb in the style of old Unknown Armies short prompts

I had no loving clue I managed to slam a psychic nerve for small horror until like 3 months later :psyduck:
Now imagine how DerekJ feels.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
to whoever was talking about Lost in Vivo earlier, thanks and also go gently caress yourself

the music's what's getting to me worst, i can't tell how much of this yamaoka-esque cacophony might be caused by a Bad Thing getting ready to do me harm

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I did not play Lost In Vivo but watching it, especially that goddamn whistling part, invoked the exact same feeling of dread that Silent Hill 2 and 3 put into me - the dread that makes you not want to move at all, out of the incredible unease that comes with wondering "What's in the next room? I don't want to know."

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Lost in Vivo trains are very good

al-azad
May 28, 2009

psst launch the game at midnight.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
While not strictly Horror, per say, anyone have any opinions on how HellSign turned out?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
vivo also got me thinking about how after a dismal age of amnesia-likes the mere presence of a weapon in a horror game is enough to make me nervous compared to one where i'm deliberately kept unarmed

since most of the unarmed-types make enemy encounters scarce and/or basic puzzlers that are often heavily signposted, whereas if you're expected to actually fight then you spend every quiet moment wondering when the next nasty is going to come and try to have a gnaw on you

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Kokoro Wish posted:

While not strictly Horror, per say, anyone have any opinions on how HellSign turned out?

Been waiting for a sale. Would also like impressions.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I must have missed something but what are back rooms?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Short story shorter, imagine you accidentally glitch out of bounds of reality itself and end up trapped in an endlessly sprawling abyss of musty carpeting, loud humming fluorescent lights, and office cubicle walls. You can't get back and there's something somewhere in there with you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Creepy pasta about an endless gross office. Basically the nightmare of anyone whose worked in a cube farm of an old building.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

al-azad posted:

Day 7 was a flop. It started as a joke at the same time as a Hellknight inspired game and sometimes you got to count your losses. It was delayed like a month and the last like 4 days are just cutscenes.
I swear I recognized that font and the NPC's not being visible and just popping up seemingly out of nowhere. Man, Hellnight seems like such an easy formula to emulate properly (especially with the sheer amount of first person horror games that still get churned out constantly) but yeah, Day 7 was terrible to watch.

I can appreciate what Puppet Combo wants to do, but all their games lack fun game play. It's all just being chased by something in a slightly different environment with a specific filter overlaid on top. And it somehow turns out even worse when they try something different, like with 'The Glass Staircase'.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The Glass Staircase was pretty interesting and the first game of theirs that I've seen which didn't just look like an stylish but still generally uninspired knockoff of some particular old horror movie. I wouldn't say that the gameplay itself was all that great, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would actually say that Day 7 emulates Hellnight quite well and that's the problem: the restricted analog first person controls of a PS1 game are terrible. Hellnight was interesting for its ideas and ambition which Day 7 totally lacks but its gameplay isn't enviable and I say this as a staunch defender of tank controls.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 23, 2019

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
I've never played it but for watching I quite enjoyed that short teaser they did where you were an employee at a late night gas station. Serving weirdos late at night when you're stuck at work is interesting. I think the full version was going to be something different though?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Disposable Scud posted:

Been waiting for a sale. Would also like impressions.

When I played it half a year ago it's basically Australia simulator. Your start off investigating haunted house, collect clues of paranormal activities then fight a poo poo ton of giant spiders and giant centipedes.

There's a lot of grinding. I suppose you can jump into the harder mission where you fight paranormal stuff quite quickly but it's really hard with your lovely gear. Oh and you can't collect clue (main way to make money) with your low level investigation tool in high level area either so you have to grind up those gear as well.

It starts off pretty novel, tense, and fun though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, most of what I've heard about it boils down a similar sentiment that the idea is great and that people like it, but the actual gameplay just isn't up to the task of retaining their interest for longer than an hour or two.

It's definitely something that has a ready-made niche waiting for it, in terms of people's interest, but nothing so far has really managed to do it well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ferrous posted:

I've never played it but for watching I quite enjoyed that short teaser they did where you were an employee at a late night gas station. Serving weirdos late at night when you're stuck at work is interesting. I think the full version was going to be something different though?

It’s the prequel for Stay out of the House but I would play a longer game with maybe randomized customers or events. It nails the atmosphere of working a night shift at a shithole retail right down to the creepy customers late at night.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished Lost in Vivo, i'd give it a solid 7/10. it doesn't really do anything new and it has nothing interesting to say plotwise, but its fundamentals were strong despite making me crawl through pipes a little too often

soundtrack was a nearly pitch-perfect recreation of Yamaoka's work too, right down to the moody keyboards and percussion for the rare place that isn't made of screaming skin and rusty metal

while most of the combat was unremarkable, the encounter with Sotiris was appropriately nerve-wracking, and the design of that final big critter in the last zone was fantastic considering the graphical limitations. that constantly shifting facial expression gave me the willies every time i looked back

special mention goes to the dysmorphia puzzle with the apple, which was a decently realized visual metaphor, and the ladder in the mines where the mimic starts climbing after you. i thought i was being a clever-clogs when i decided to just run and climb instead of shooting the mimic dead, and i realized my mistake about ten rungs up with fifty left to go. fucker was gaining on me the whole time. and then you get that sneak-peek of Sotiris to give your pulse that extra jolt

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 24, 2019

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ferrous posted:

al-azad posted:

It’s the prequel for Stay out of the House but I would play a longer game with maybe randomized customers or events. It nails the atmosphere of working a night shift at a shithole retail right down to the creepy customers late at night.

That game owns and I kind of wish they or someone good enough to ape the style and feeling will do something similar with a little more in there some time, I absolutely love that 'horror in the mundane' stuff.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
This popped up on Twitter...

https://twitter.com/Hoolopee/status/1176880933187837953

and my heart can't take it. They should have sent a poet.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Black August posted:

Thanks. I got a dozen other surrealist ideas in the same vein, all Backrooms was really was the image as a prompt to a quick idea. I didn’t think the image and idea would resonate as bizarrely strong. I posted at like 3am! How the HELL did it propagate?!

:iiam:

I'm late to the party, but I think it propagated because it's kind of plausible, not from a science perspective, but from an experience perspective. Like, I feel like it's reasonable for someone to have experienced a long awkward length of unused building, and/or dreamed about the concept, so when they read the creepypasta, it resonates. Like why the "staircases in the woods" creepypasta (and, incidentally also Thomas Ligotti's "Gas Station Carnivals") is so popular is because the description produces in the mind something that seems reasonable and familiar, if not ever actually real.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Empty spaces prompt the mind to fill them. It's why we can see a face in the shadows on a pure white wall, just as much as we can imagine a presence being in a place where we can see everything and know that there is nothing there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Stygian is like jazz Lovecraft.