Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009

Chaotic Flame posted:

For what it's worth, I tried multiple avenues and never saw the 100K offer either. Finally just caved and got the 60K

What really annoys me is I had the 75k last month and I hemmed and hawed and now I'm gonna be stuck taking the 60k. Sad times.

Edit:
Hmm the incog 100k went through but I'm doubtful it's real. Contacted the customer support and they say they can't check the bonus for 72 hours. So I guess on Monday I'll bug them and see if I have to cancel the card.

Amara fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
I've got a bunch of purchases I need to make in the next month or two and figure maybe I should try and grab a signup bonus. However I have no idea what to go for.

What's a decent one off signup to go for if I expect to be able to hit 4-5k spend in the near future?

I got a CSP in 2016 so I don't think the sapphires are an option for me?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

You can still apply for CSR separately. Just have to not forget to change your CSP into something else if you do get approved.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

No bonus though.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

waloo posted:

What's a decent one off signup to go for if I expect to be able to hit 4-5k spend in the near future?

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/spreadsheet-current-recent-credit-card-signup-bonuses-major-issuers/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

astral posted:

No bonus though.

Is that new? Because I was specifically told by Chase (2 years ago) that if I PC'd my CSP into a CSR there would be no bonus. So I applied for the CSR and had them PC the CSP into a Freedom Unlimited (which is actually a pretty good setup if you remember to use the Freedom for the quarterly categories).

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
Hmm seems like maybe if I hadn't been a dummy and pc-d to a Sapphire card then I could get the Csr bonus now.

But also maybe I can just change it again to a Freedom and get some more UR points that way. I guess I'll get on the phone to see what I can do on that. Probably not best min maxing but will be easier to make use of those since we have a bunch of chase stuff already.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Motronic posted:

Is that new? Because I was specifically told by Chase (2 years ago) that if I PC'd my CSP into a CSR there would be no bonus. So I applied for the CSR and had them PC the CSP into a Freedom Unlimited (which is actually a pretty good setup if you remember to use the Freedom for the quarterly categories).

You can only get one Sapphire bonus (so either CSP or CSR) every 48 months.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Motronic posted:

Just a bit before the CSR was two years old, they changed it from one Sapphire signup bonus every 24 months to every 48 months.

I sort of half-expect them to change that again when the CSR is almost four years old. :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

saintonan posted:

You can only get one Sapphire bonus (so either CSP or CSR) every 48 months.

Ohhhh...yeah, I'd had the CSP for quite a while by then.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:rip: Citi card benefits, you will be missed

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
Do Southwest credit card signup bonuses change often? I'm seeing 40k now for the personal cards. Swore it used to be higher? Just hit 45k points unexpectedly and trying to hit companion pass. Can't do a business card because I got a bonus last year for that.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Amex is redoing their benefits; the worst change is they are losing extended warranty on no-AF cards (AF cards' warranty is reduced back to doubling up to an extra year) but premium cards are finally getting some trip delay/cancellation/interruption benefits at least.

Source: DoC:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-major-overhaul-on-card-benefits-begins-january-2020/

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

The Extended Warranty benefits was one of the reasons I got this card. :(

Yet again

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Any thoughts on using the Chase Sapphire Reserve as travel insurance on our trip to South Africa? It looks like the CSR's coverage is actually fairly generous in comparison to some of the commercial insurance providers.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Any thoughts on using the Chase Sapphire Reserve as travel insurance on our trip to South Africa? It looks like the CSR's coverage is actually fairly generous in comparison to some of the commercial insurance providers.

I didn’t end up having to use it, but we used our CSP as travel insurance for a Patagonian cruise company that required it

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Fyi, the Chase points transfer at a 1 to 1 rate to IHG and are qualifying for status.

i just qualified spire elite ahead of schedule cause i was like 10k points off booking a hotel for vacation and found the option while i was pursuing my rewards portal.

Not sure if it's effective but if your near a tear or a bit short its nice.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Waroduce posted:

Fyi, the Chase points transfer at a 1 to 1 rate to IHG and are qualifying for status.

i just qualified spire elite ahead of schedule cause i was like 10k points off booking a hotel for vacation and found the option while i was pursuing my rewards portal.

Not sure if it's effective but if your near a tear or a bit short its nice.

Thats cool if you are very near Spire and need the bump, but Chase points are otherwise worth much more than IHG points.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Coming back up on our annual fee for the CSR. Is the consensus that it's still the best/most flexible travel card?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

El Mero Mero posted:

Coming back up on our annual fee for the CSR. Is the consensus that it's still the best/most flexible travel card?

Yes if you eat out a lot, use the benefits, and combine it with the other Freedom cards. You’ll feel like you are abusing poor innocent Chase bank.

If you travel a lot and your airport has a Centurion lounge then the AMEX Platinum puts up a fight.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

astral posted:

Amex is redoing their benefits; the worst change is they are losing extended warranty on no-AF cards (AF cards' warranty is reduced back to doubling up to an extra year) but premium cards are finally getting some trip delay/cancellation/interruption benefits at least.

Source: DoC:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-major-overhaul-on-card-benefits-begins-january-2020/

I sometimes feel like non-US American Express gets shafted with benefits from time to time, but I'm loving glad my no AF Amex still has all the extended warranty poo poo (and my travel card gets travel insurance).

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
One of my card issuers sent me 3 convenience checks good for one month that charge 0.99% over one year. Although I can cover my monthly expenses, it would seem to my advantage to use these checks, leave my money in the bank earning a higher rate, and pay the balance off over the year. In exchange, the card issuer gets intel about my expenses.

Does anyone have experience using convenience check offers this way? Did it work out or no?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

One of my card issuers sent me 3 convenience checks good for one month that charge 0.99% over one year. Although I can cover my monthly expenses, it would seem to my advantage to use these checks, leave my money in the bank earning a higher rate, and pay the balance off over the year. In exchange, the card issuer gets intel about my expenses.

Does anyone have experience using convenience check offers this way? Did it work out or no?

Those things tend to have a one-time fee (assessed when used; often, it's a percentage of the amount) as well as an APR. Make sure you've identified both.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Yeah, BofA sends me out 0% APR checks all the time but the fee makes them deal breakers.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Gazpacho posted:

These can be a good deal if the fee is low (Barclays used to send out 0% APR + 1% fee offers.)

Be aware that if you use that same card for purchases, the purchases will accrue interest at the higher rate until you pay the whole balance off.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

More of a generic credit maintenance question than about rewards, but I figure ya'll would know.

Annual fees on my wife's credit card is about to come up, and we're going to consolidate onto one for daily spend. The card that's best for us is the BoA Premium Rewards (SWA is the major carrier out of our city, so the Sapphire cards are mediocre; and we bank with BoA, so we get sizable reward boosts) I have that pre-dates our combined finances, so I'm the only person on it. What's the way to get her a card that helps maintain her credit? Is authorized spender sufficient? Or is there some other term of art that I should use?

We own a house together and have otherwise mingled resources to hell and back, so nothing really bothers me in terms of shared liability. And honestly, with the home purchase out of the way, there's less incentive to maintain absolutely sterling credit, but I figured I'd ask what's best.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Boxman posted:

More of a generic credit maintenance question than about rewards, but I figure ya'll would know.

Annual fees on my wife's credit card is about to come up, and we're going to consolidate onto one for daily spend. The card that's best for us is the BoA Premium Rewards (SWA is the major carrier out of our city, so the Sapphire cards are mediocre; and we bank with BoA, so we get sizable reward boosts) I have that pre-dates our combined finances, so I'm the only person on it. What's the way to get her a card that helps maintain her credit? Is authorized spender sufficient? Or is there some other term of art that I should use?

We own a house together and have otherwise mingled resources to hell and back, so nothing really bothers me in terms of shared liability. And honestly, with the home purchase out of the way, there's less incentive to maintain absolutely sterling credit, but I figured I'd ask what's best.

As you suspect, authorized users are not counted the same on her credit report, so it's best if she keeps at least one Real Card in her name.

What card(s) does she have already? Depending on that, she might be able to downgrade it/them into no-annual-fee card(s) that will maintain her credit history just fine.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Boxman posted:

I won't second guess your choices, though I suspect there's some math that's off there. Being an authorized user is not the same as having a card in her own name. Getting her something like a Discover IT, Chase Freedom, or Citi Double Cash would be a good way to maintain or improve her credit.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Boxman posted:

Looking at the BoA preferred rewards, even if you're in the highest reward category with $100k in eligible investments, you could get cards with a better return on some purchases, and no AF.

Barclays Uber Visa does 4% on dining and gives a $50/annual credit for online subscriptions with $5k spend
First Bank Ducks Unlimited Visa returns 5% on gas and sporting goods stores.

So I would suggest getting a no AF card for her that offers a higher return on some spend, and use that to your advantage. The BoA card does have some nice rewards if you're eligible, tho. Minimum 2.625 points on any purchases... :nice: .

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Another solid option that would be mostly* set it and forget it would be US Bank Cash+ and have her put your utilities and cell phones on the card with autopay set up.

* You'd just need to remember to select the 5% categories each quarter. Unfortunately it doesn't keep the same categories selected by default, but it's an otherwise painless process if you just set yourself a reminder.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Note that the Cash+ does not have cell phone insurance on it if that's something you desire.

However, the Cash+ does have other categories available (you pick 2 5% categories each quarter):
https://cashplus.usbank.com/merchants/index

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Yeah, best method would be to add up 3 months of utility bills, subtract the total from $2000, and pick the category that gets closest to what remains.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

On another note, this is a pretty great quarter for rotating 5% back.

Freedom has Paypal, Chase Pay, and Department Stores, so that's a ton of places.

Discover has Amazon.com, Walmart.com (not in-store, though naturally you could e.g. just buy a walmart GC online and shop with it instore), and Target. Target's also just launched a new loyalty program where you earn 1% back towards future Target purchases when you aren't using a RedCard, which makes the category even better.

Dividend is Best Buy and Department Stores, but with Citi's reduced benefits and these being a subset of the Freedom categories this quarter, I can't recommend it unless you're maxing out the Freedom's categories anyway.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Thanks everyone for the advice. We'll swap over to something without an annual fee and get her a BoA card for daily spend. Thanks for the specific suggestions; I wasn't aware of the Cash+ card, and I like the idea of doing that as a set-it-and-forget-it secondary.

saintonan posted:

I won't second guess your choices, though I suspect there's some math that's off there.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong; I haven't really heavily re-evaluated what's out there for a couple years. We usually get a fair chunk of value out of the incidental airline credit, which helps take some of the sting out of the AF. Also, I like the simplicity of the universally good if not top tier rewards on the card. Having to keep in mind how to distribute spend on gas/dining/travel/groceries/whatever isn't worth the 1% or so improvement we'd get from just throwing everything on the BoA card. I realize that's impossible to quantify, which may explain why the math doesn't quite work.

I don't have a problem with high fees, if i think I can make it worth it, but my understanding is that a lot of extra value is locked behind booking through the cards' travel portals, which (I'm pretty sure?) never include SWA. EDIT: lol I posted years ago making sure you can't book SWA through the Chase Rewards portal.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 7, 2019

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Boxman posted:

I don't have a problem with high fees, if i think I can make it worth it, but my understanding is that a lot of extra value is locked behind booking through the cards' travel portals, which (I'm pretty sure?) never include SWA. EDIT: lol I posted years ago making sure you can't book SWA through the Chase Rewards portal.

You can't, but you can transfer UR into RR. I'll back up and say that the Companion Pass is by leagues the best tool for SWA travel, so I'd recommend getting that (many couples alternate getting them so that you'd get it for 2020/2021, then your spouse would get it for 2022/2023, then you'd get it for 2024/2025, etc.). After that it's just a matter of mathing out which card gives you the best benefit, and as you pointed out, balance that against the convenience of having to assign specific spend to specific cards. Your reasoning is perfectly fine and there's lots of people that don't want to go to the effort of min-maxing rewards.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Chase UR on any sapphire lets you transfer to southwest at 1:1 right? It’s not amazing but IIRC southwest points redeem for about 1.5c/pt which comes out the same as the UR portal on a CSR.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

MrBond posted:

Chase UR on any sapphire lets you transfer to southwest at 1:1 right? It’s not amazing but IIRC southwest points redeem for about 1.5c/pt which comes out the same as the UR portal on a CSR.

Yes, 1:1 in 1000 point increments.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Boxman posted:

Thanks everyone for the advice. We'll swap over to something without an annual fee and get her a BoA card for daily spend. Thanks for the specific suggestions; I wasn't aware of the Cash+ card, and I like the idea of doing that as a set-it-and-forget-it secondary.

Here's some goon ref links, some good deals to be had on here:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

MrBond posted:

Yeah, but my point of comparison is the BoA premium rewards with middle-status with that bank. CSR is 3x on travel and dining and 1x on everything else, BoA is 3x on travel and dining and 2.25x on everything else (still working on that higher tier). CSR obviously comes with a lot of other benefits, but the majority of our spend is on "everything else," so I don't think it would quite make up the gap, and that's before hitting the highest tier at BoA.

saintonan posted:

Your reasoning is perfectly fine and there's lots of people that don't want to go to the effort of min-maxing rewards.

...And thank you for making me feel better about not going absolutely nuts on this, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

No problem. My only reason for commenting is that lots of people read this thread and, being goons, are more focused on the min max part. The combination of CSR, CF, and CFU will in most redemption cases be better than BoA but there is added effort needed to manage travel on one card, quarterly bonuses on another card, etc.

The vast majority of credit card users never use rewards or use them improperly, so just having a plan puts you way ahead of the game.