Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hobo Erotica posted:

I think I went to bat for the Secular Party of Australia once in here a few years ago, and I’d just like to formally retract that. They are indeed pseudo-conservative asshats.

Also the attitudes towards the climate strike in some dad's fb groups I've seen is pretty loving disturbing.

*updates spreadsheet*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hambeet posted:

*updates spreadsheet*

calm down michael hing

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

cohsae posted:

The coalition still loves big business, you need to read these articles. What's pissing the coalition off is that more and more corporations are making public statements on social issues e.g. Rugby Australia telling Israel Folau to get hosed, or companies pulling their ads from Alan Jones. It's all culture war poo poo. They're not going to start taxing corporations more they just want them to shut up about climate change being real or gays being human.
And to be a bit less cynical, divestment from fossil fuels is a movement that's getting a decent amount of traction around the world, they're probably terrified that all their big donor mining buddies might have less cash to splash around.

This was a good post and it seemed to stop that conversation. Albanese was probably right to back the businesses taking social positions and especially those backing renewables as it seems one of the few ways the Coalition can be wedged due to their own stupidity. It might be the only way for the ALP to deal with their own climate change wedge between inner city progressives and their coal miner union constituency. I thought Albanese taking this position was one of the only useful things he'd done since the election.

But he'll probably cave the moment this happens again.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think the radio this morning called Scummo the "Banjo Patterson of job creation" and I just have no idea any more

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Banjo Patterson poo poo himself at the Binalong canteen in 1897

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Singo has finally hosed off. He, obviously, left his empire of poo poo lords well populated but at least that massive pile of scum can now never be heard again.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

ScoMo :swoon:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
$150 million would pay for one (1) space toilet

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
the rich trying to flee a collapsing earth for mars is the funniest thing about our time

hopefully we'll get to see the first techbros actually attempt to live there (and fail) before the fire takes the south and we all die

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

fauna posted:

the rich trying to flee a collapsing earth for mars is the funniest thing about our time

hopefully we'll get to see the first techbros actually attempt to live there (and fail) before the fire takes the south and we all die

verhoevens total recall was prophetic

Purk
Aug 9, 2017
Watching a vid of Morrison sucking up to Trump and billionaire Anthony Pratt at the same time sure is something.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

GoldStandardConure posted:

verhoevens total recall was prophetic

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

budget emergency

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I cannot loving deal with Scott 'n Donald's best mates campaign tour. What the gently caress is going on. This is humiliating

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Our prime minister just appeared at a Trump campaign rally at a factory in ohio. What the gently caress

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Amethyst posted:

Our prime minister just appeared at a Trump campaign rally at a factory in ohio. What the gently caress

he's "making jobs great again" :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

how great are jobs

Purk
Aug 9, 2017

kirbysuperstar posted:

he's "making jobs great again" :)

My favourite bit was "G'day ohio! Any veterans in the house? Go on, put your hands up! I just want to thank you for your service."

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Purk posted:

My favourite bit was "G'day ohio! Any veterans in the house? Go on, put your hands up! I just want to thank you for your service."

Fuuuuuck I missed that bit

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Purk posted:

https://twitter.com/ScottMorrisonMP/status/1175725770527760384

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Morrison will never be defeated his ad man powers are too strong

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
how good are ad man powers

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Purk posted:

this isnt real i googled it and the only hit is the obviously satirical site https://www.pm.gov.au

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
:suicide:

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

There's definitely a subset of boomers that loving love the coalition but also think they're way smarter than Trump supporters, so I look forward to hearing my parents suddenly start saying that Trump is actually good now that he's got a new best friend.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

JBP posted:

Morrison will never be defeated his ad man powers are too strong

Jesus Christ

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I do wonder about Pratt. Surely he's seen an opportunity to exploit Trump's vanity, and he can't genuinely admire him, right?

Would be good if he could spend a few billion building some more MRFs in Australia so we can fix the recycling crisis, but hey.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Hobo Erotica posted:

I do wonder about Pratt. Surely he's seen an opportunity to exploit Trump's vanity, and he can't genuinely admire him, right?

Would be good if he could spend a few billion building some more MRFs in Australia so we can fix the recycling crisis, but hey.

MRFs aren’t the big problem (although MRFs in regional areas are needed, there’s gently caress all secondary processing and not enough pull through of recycled content. Recyclable packaging doesn’t mean poo poo if it isn’t also made of recycled material.

Also it would be nice if anyone cared about waste minimisation but :effort:

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

MRFs aren’t the big problem (although MRFs in regional areas are needed, there’s gently caress all secondary processing and not enough pull through of recycled content. Recyclable packaging doesn’t mean poo poo if it isn’t also made of recycled material.

Also it would be nice if anyone cared about waste minimisation but :effort:

Yeah I was using it as shorthand for the whole back end process really. Still, VISY's business model - collect the material, seperate it, melt it down and make new poo poo out of it - is what we need, and if anyone can make it happen it's them. Instead he's just opening box factories over in the states, while we chuck most of the recyclable material china doesn't want anymore into landfill. You're right of course that we absolutely need to develop the economy around recycled material to provide the economic drivers for it.

Do you think we need MRFs in regional areas? Or would it better just to chuck the material on a train to a big one near the cities?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
reduce
re-use
recycle!

:yeah:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

this isnt real i googled it and the only hit is the obviously satirical site https://www.pm.gov.au

JFC that's not a joke:

https://www.pm.gov.au/media/remarks-factory-opening-wapakoneta-ohio

Scummo posted:

PRIME MINISTER: Thank you. Well thank you Mr. President, Donald. It's wonderful to be here with you in Ohio. G’day Ohio How are you? You good?

Can I also acknowledge veterans who are here today. Put your hand up if you're a veteran here today. Thank you for your service.

Not just to the United States but to the great alliance between Australia and the United States.

Senator Rob Portman, Jim Jordan, it's great to see you guys here today. Ambassadors’ Hockey and Culvahouse you guys are doing a tremendous job.

But to Anthony Pratt and the whole Pratt Enterprise here and Ed, well done on a fabulous investment and project here.

It's great to be here and now, it's great to be here in Wapakoneta. Is that right? Is that close? Wapakoneta.

Now you think I'd do a little bit better than that. Now I understand from meeting the Aussies who are already here, are down the front here- Andrew, Brian, Alan, Edward, Martin. They're all here.

And they told me this is called Wapak, is that right? Here you go. Wapak.

But you'd think I'd get it a bit better because we've got Wagga Wagga, Wollongong, Wallerang, Wangaratta, Warrnambool, Woolloomooloo.

So you know, Wapak- that fits right in. This is a bit of Australia right here in Ohio. I reckon. There's a bit of Australia here.

Now as the President was saying the economy is so important. If you don't have a strong economy, well there's so many other things you can't do. You can't invest in the things that matter to people. People don't get jobs, and to have a strong economy and what we're seeing built here is just so exciting.

The President and I are here today because we believe in jobs. We believe in the way that jobs transform lives. How jobs give people choices. People are raising families, doing the right thing, building their communities, putting their kids through school, helping their neighbours, putting aside money for their retirement.

Jobs is what creates those choices and opportunities. So what we're celebrating here is jobs.

Now there's a very famous American that's come out of this wonderful town. You all know who it is, Neil Armstrong. A great American.

And unemployment in the United States has not been as low as it is since Neil Armstrong walked on the moon.

That is an amazing achievement Mr. President.

The lowest unemployment rate we've seen in United States for a very, very long time. And the reason it's happening is because people are investing. They're investing in policies that are reducing taxes like they are in my own country. They're investing in policies which is seeing their economies grow and people can see things happening and they want to be part of what is happening.

And that's what Anthony has seen right here in Ohio. Anthony is a wonderful Australian who's taken a good company to a great company. You might say a company as strong as steel to a company as strong as titanium, Mr. President.

This is a great Australian who is building an even greater company. And a company that is investing both in United States and of course in Australia. Twenty seven states he now is in. 70 factories.

But the thing about Anthony, which is true of all Australians, is we keep our promises. When we make a promise we keep it, when we make a promise to be in an alliance we keep that promise, and Anthony promised that he would invest in the United States with the election of the President and the jobs that are here are because this man keeps his promise.

So Mr. President thanks for the opportunity to be here today.

Thank you for the opportunity for Australia and the United States to work together in the way we do, not just an alliance based on security and our defence forces but an economic partnership where together we're making jobs great again.

Cheers.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I wonder if he feels superior to Trump.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
He's a juggernaut.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

the rate of employment itt is pretty high isn't it? i just realised you might not be all getting the same targeted ads as me because you're not trawling job sites all day. my twitter, facebook, indeed, seek and adzuna are all crammed with defense force jobs and recruitment ads (like that hilarious "i work part-time and i just bought a house in sydney!" thing). like, dozens of them, they are spending a fortune on advertising and marketing right now. that's why i keep saying that trashing the dole is a soft conscription tactic, like they do in america - squeezing the most desperate sectors of society harder and harder while making the army look like an actual attractive career path in the knowledge that people will eventually jump at the bait if they're poor enough for long enough. consider the timing with iran, china, climate change etc., it's absolutely deliberate

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

install an ad blocker. i use ublock origin

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

bell jar posted:

install an ad blocker. i use ublock origin
i actually don't use ad blockers because i like seeing what's going on in the world of advertising. like soft conscription!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I think Facebook thinks I work from home and huff vapourized ketamine or something bc I keep getting ads on how to become a life coach and nothing else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Hobo Erotica posted:

Yeah I was using it as shorthand for the whole back end process really. Still, VISY's business model - collect the material, seperate it, melt it down and make new poo poo out of it - is what we need, and if anyone can make it happen it's them. Instead he's just opening box factories over in the states, while we chuck most of the recyclable material china doesn't want anymore into landfill. You're right of course that we absolutely need to develop the economy around recycled material to provide the economic drivers for it.

Do you think we need MRFs in regional areas? Or would it better just to chuck the material on a train to a big one near the cities?

Nah, we really need regional MRFs to make the process cost effective. Victoria is a pretty small state, but we’ve still got some councils who are $70k ahead by landfilling due to SKM being shut down because they no longer have to cart it 400km to the outskirts of Melbourne. If we do better source separation, regional MRFs aren’t unreasonable either.

Take glass out of the co-mingled bin and have a network of glass sorting plants around the place that you deposit directly to (collected through public place/drop offs, and potentially a kerbside glass bin in the bigger/denser regional communities)instead of going through a MRF for the initial sort(they need to be regional so the stuff too small to be put back into glass can be used as road base cost effectively), then the MRFs you need are a lot simpler operations.

Taking glass out also reduces transport costs because you can do basically whatever you want to the remaining material in terms of compacting it.