Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Bongo Bill posted:

Linkle is an unrelated character who has a strong resemblance to Link.

She is also trans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Linkle identifies as someone who owns and kicks rear end

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh! So trans then!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's always some fool around who hasn't played Hyrule Warriors and therefore doesn't know any better, so I wanted to make sure somebody wasn't just skipping right to the memes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

Woolies will have 10% off all Nintendo eShop from September 25th.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Bongo Bill posted:

There's always some fool around who hasn't played Hyrule Warriors and therefore doesn't know any better, so I wanted to make sure somebody wasn't just skipping right to the memes.

Full disclosure: I am a trans girl myself, and I could not resist making fun of somebody complaining about some hypothetical person having a trans headcanon for a Fire Emblem character

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Roth posted:

Oh! So trans then!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Literally the first decision Byleth makes is if they're male or female, therefore

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Female Byleth's outfit is kinda fanservicey, but at least they're not boring looking like the male one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got my Switch Lite this afternoon and spent several hours playing Link's Awakening. Liking both the system and LA so far. My only real gripe is that it's taking me a while to get adjusted to the controls, but that's not the game's fault, that's just me getting a new system with a different control scheme than my PS4 which I'm super used to.

The framerate thing hasn't bothered me at all, honestly :shobon:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Roth posted:

Female Byleth's outfit is kinda fanservicey, but at least they're not boring looking like the male one.

you get an alternate outfit with the season pass, it's similar to the school uniform but with silver instead of gold

it's very cute on female byleth and way better than the garish mess of her default outfit

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

link's awakening for switch is maybe the uh best zelda game.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

no its cute though

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zas posted:

link's awakening for switch is maybe the uh best zelda game.

I think it may be at least the best 2D one. The QOL changes elevate it just above LTTP for me now.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I can see it. When I was a kid Link's Awakening was the first Zelda game I got into. And after beating it I borrowed Link to the Past from a friend and thought "Why is the world so big and empty?" and stopped playing it.

Link's Awakening's structure is super enjoyable. The overworld feel like a large and dense jigsaw puzzle that you had to navigate and figure out, with each powerup affecting your relationship with the world, until you progress enough that the pieces come together more and more rapidly until everything falls into place and you solve the game.

And the other Zelda games just aren't structured in that sort of way.

edit: When I approach the end of AW, there's a really nice feeling of "finality" to it that I rarely get from video games. It's not a world who's ending I've reached, it's a world that I now fully grasp and move beyond. And uh, I really like when that happens. Just felt like mentioning that aspect.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 23, 2019

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I'm interesting in checking out ai somnium files, but i haven't played any of Akira Okadas other games (but they have been on my steam wishlist for a while). What other games are similar that i might have played? The only other "visual novel" style game that i've played is Phoenix Wright, which i loving love.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Most of the moment to moment gameplay actually resembles Phoenix Wright, to be honest. The investigation parts could have come right out of the series and no one would have batted an eye. There are a small handful of sections that basically work like the courtroom segments (someone gives a statement, you have to tell which piece(s) of evidence you have to prove they're lying) but they're short and have no real fail state. And then the dream sequences are puzzle rooms where you have to work out how to clear a sequence of "locks" based on interactions in the room. If you liked PW you'd probably enjoy AI a lot, to be honest.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think it may be at least the best 2D one. The QOL changes elevate it just above LTTP for me now.

I might have a personal bias because I played LA so much as a kid and never owned LTTP until later, but yeah, it's definitely the best 2D Zelda in my eyes.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it’s a false dichotomy. link’s awakening is a reflection of link to the past and is therefore an extension of it

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

BrainDance posted:

Dammit :(

I'll end up getting a digital copy. But, it's Zelda and I've owned a physical copy of every not-CDI Zelda game since the original. I really just wanted to have the cart and box.

What I'm gonna end up doing is buying the HK release and setting it on my shelf and then getting the English version digitally then because I'm a nerd who wastes money.

This isn't gonna matter to anyone but me, but the Hong Kong edition has English and Japanese too. No language select screen but it just defaulted to English, so I guess it goes by system language or something.

Pretty pumped about not having to buy it again. The HK edition is like $50 and my internet is terrible so it'd be another day of waiting before I'd get to play it otherwise.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Link’s Awakening and Majora’s Mask are the best Zeldas (they’re also the least Zelda of the Zeldas)

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

it just seems so obvious to me at this point in my life that Link's Awakening is better than ALTTP. it was designed by crazy geniuses

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mandrel posted:

Link’s Awakening and Majora’s Mask are the best Zeldas (they’re also the least Zelda of the Zeldas)

botw is less zelda than both of those tho

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

all zeldas are zelda.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Super No Vacancy posted:

it’s a false dichotomy. link’s awakening is a reflection of link to the past and is therefore an extension of it

nice dril riff but actually they’re two separate games

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I even like the dumb tilt shift blur. the game was made just for me folks

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zelda direct sequels (except for Phantom Hourglass) tend to be the best Zeldas so I'm really looking forward to BOTW 2.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zas posted:

I even like the dumb tilt shift blur. the game was made just for me folks
:same:

they went all in on giving the game a diorama feel and I love it so much

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Mandrel posted:

hmm..... this is.... extremely accurate

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I finally realized what it is about the new Link's Awakening's soundtrack that bugs me so much, the live instruments sound so out of place and a lot of the new soundtrack just sounds so subdued relative to the original soundtrack, and I wish the whole game leaned more into the electronic sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C_GTxMsKlk like this is great and evokes a ton of the original game's feel, but it would be a lot better without the oboe coming in

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thats why its good imo. but also they leaned on the digital sounds the most for that track which i think was also an effective choice

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

thats why its good imo. but also they leaned on the digital sounds the most for that track which i think was also an effective choice

It's 100% a personal preference thing and I know it's super heavily rooted in nostalgia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYjpQ0Z-vfs They replicated the dreamy "pop" to this track really well with the live instruments too, whoever's doing the music definitely gets it, it's just something that bugs me (I think the Mabe Village remix is bad though, the music box was not a great take IMO)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I really like the Mabe Village theme once the other instruments take over but with the very compact overworld design I'm hearing that song for maybe twenty seconds each time.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the big fuckin strings sweeping in on the beach track are spectacular

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
why aren't we talking about the best track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04kJYqdWyy8

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iMdyDLaAYs&list=PLwDEuPBgBi4MMgtkG59Tm4wZ5ZMX097Sb&index=55

This is incredibly loving charming also

E: I forgot how incredible Tal Tal Heights is as a derivative on the series main theme, both it and Termina's are fantastic

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 23, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RrYJ5z-be8
This one is my favorite so far. I love the new music so far. I think the faint sampling of the original GB tracks is great.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

here i did this

https://twitter.com/epitasis/status/1176017714801983488

the second one dumb thing

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I really don't like this one. Why is the old theme there?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djsxk3RQ2aM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RrYJ5z-be8
This one is my favorite so far. I love the new music so far. I think the faint sampling of the original GB tracks is great.
I mean I'm not sure anything can top that

despite having played this game dozens of times since I was a kid, I still got goosebumps at that whole sequence of going to the shrine and learning the truth about the island, then going to the Face Shrine and the music is.... that. It's insanely good.