Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/AM2DM/status/1174431399660511232

not sure if right place but here you go what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

Lithium carbonate is one of the cheapest prescriptions available so I'm not sure it belongs here?

Like, full price its $9/month.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Pretty sure he posted that because she looks exactly like AOC

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Taintrunner posted:

Blessed video, cursed post.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

actionjackson posted:

Pretty sure he posted that because she looks exactly like AOC

goon facial blindness strikes again

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

T-man posted:

goon facial blindness strikes again

Yeah what the gently caress. She wears big round glasses? They aren't even the same style though so not sure if that's even what OP thinks is similar

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

All white girls look the same. All girls are white. Therefore she is AOC

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

In her defense, it has actually been found that areas with naturally occurring lithium salts in the water have lower rates of suicide

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0946672X16302887

e: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49791249

lol rip

quote:

Thomas Cook has collapsed after last-minute negotiations aimed at saving the 178-year-old holiday firm failed.

The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said the tour operator had "ceased trading with immediate effect".

It has also triggered the biggest ever peacetime repatriation, aimed at bringing more than 150,000 British holidaymakers home.

Powershift has issued a correction as of 07:47 on Sep 23, 2019

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

heard this on the news this morning and I’m like, did they have to scrap their airplanes before everyone came home? did the customers not pay for return tickets? what the hell

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Strangelet Wave posted:

heard this on the news this morning and I’m like, did they have to scrap their airplanes before everyone came home? did the customers not pay for return tickets? what the hell

As recently as yesterday, they were claiming the collapse didn't affect their airlines. They have 34 of their own planes, which are now grounded.

Also, some people in shittier places aren't being allowed to leave their hotel until they pay the bill they already paid through Thomas Cook because Thomas Cook didn't pay the hotel.

Anybody currently being hosed by this likely booked during one of their "totally not going out of business" fire sales and should have known this was a possibility.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I think I mentioned a while ago that story corps was looking for people from diametrically opposed political viewpoints to come do a sit down chat with each other and be recorded (and some broadcast on the radio) to show that ~we've got more alike than different~ or whatever, meaningless feel-good bullshit.

Well the results are in, and all its shown me so far is that "left" in America is even further right than I thought. Also the right is even more unapologetic than I thought: "There's this misconception that conservatives have no heart or don't care about the poor and needy that I want to clear up. I absolutely care a lot! I just don't think I should have to give up any of my livelihood or wellbeing to help them. But I donate stuff I don't need to charity, I'm a good person!!"

Look I don't want people to suffer either but if it means giving up even a fraction of a percent of my own comfort (which was definitely not extracted off the backs of the same suffering people no sir) it's not worth it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Inceltown posted:

All white girls look the same. All girls are white. Therefore she is AOC

bike tory posted:

Yeah what the gently caress. She wears big round glasses? They aren't even the same style though so not sure if that's even what OP thinks is similar

both carbon based females

I'm old please understand

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 14:36 on Sep 23, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a reason that when they're pressed on their views they can only respond in bad faith.

quote:

Should we let people without health insurance die?

no

Should we provide them healthcare

also no

what is the alternative?

bootstraps

You can't even explain to them that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

You can pay $100 for their doctor's appointment or $3500 for their emergency room visit. You can pay $1000 for their medication or $100,000 for their hospitalization. You can pay $10,000 for their drug treatment or $1,000,000 for their damage and incarceration. They don't want crime, but they don't want poverty. They don't want welfare but they want mass incarceration. They don't want education but they lose their mind if they're shortchanged. They don't want to pay taxes, but they bitch about government services that have been decimated by budget cuts.

And there is no way to turn any of this around because when cornered they default to "well government is bad and taxes are evil"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I have real no-poo poo diagnosed faceblindness and even I can tell that's not AOC so :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Powershift posted:

There's a reason that when they're pressed on their views they can only respond in bad faith.

You can't even explain to them that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

You can pay $100 for their doctor's appointment or $3500 for their emergency room visit. You can pay $1000 for their medication or $100,000 for their hospitalization. You can pay $10,000 for their drug treatment or $1,000,000 for their damage and incarceration. They don't want crime, but they don't want poverty. They don't want welfare but they want mass incarceration. They don't want education but they lose their mind if they're shortchanged. They don't want to pay taxes, but they bitch about government services that have been decimated by budget cuts.

And there is no way to turn any of this around because when cornered they default to "well government is bad and taxes are evil"

The one thing that made me :3: was that apparently conservative lady's husband or kid or someone, I missed who exactly it was, does not agree with her views and flips out whenever she tries to watch fox news with them around.

Good.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

actionjackson posted:

I'm old please understand

It's okay, we still love you grandpa.

Tell us more about payphones and VHS discs

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Aw yea time to fight back against that school shooter!! *awkwardly tries to reach behind me, yanks* Wait gently caress hold on it's caught on my shirt... ugh... ok... gently caress... ah poo poo I dropped it gimme a sec...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shame Boy posted:

I think I mentioned a while ago that story corps was looking for people from diametrically opposed political viewpoints to come do a sit down chat with each other and be recorded (and some broadcast on the radio) to show that ~we've got more alike than different~ or whatever, meaningless feel-good bullshit.

Well the results are in, and all its shown me so far is that "left" in America is even further right than I thought. Also the right is even more unapologetic than I thought: "There's this misconception that conservatives have no heart or don't care about the poor and needy that I want to clear up. I absolutely care a lot! I just don't think I should have to give up any of my livelihood or wellbeing to help them. But I donate stuff I don't need to charity, I'm a good person!!"

Look I don't want people to suffer either but if it means giving up even a fraction of a percent of my own comfort (which was definitely not extracted off the backs of the same suffering people no sir) it's not worth it.

the left they drag up for stuff like this are usually just liberals, so of course they're very right leaning. dont take it to heart. they're not gonna put communists on programs like that because as it turns out 'you deserve to have all your private property taken away and maybe sent to a labor camp till you can identify with your fellow humans' isnt compatible with what the elite considers to be mainstream

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1176180715022618625

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

working as intended

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

the left they drag up for stuff like this are usually just liberals, so of course they're very right leaning. dont take it to heart. they're not gonna put communists on programs like that because as it turns out 'you deserve to have all your private property taken away and maybe sent to a labor camp till you can identify with your fellow humans' isnt compatible with what the elite considers to be mainstream

I mean the goal of the actual program was to try to find people who were as polarized as possible to establish what our common values as a country are, so I think they probably had plenty of "genuine" leftists too. As far as I understand it story corps is a separate oral history archival thing that NPR just picks a few choice ones from to air, so I bet plenty of people actually took part, however I'm sure the only ones actually picked for radio are those with happy storybook feel-good endings.

There's also probably some self-selection at work too, I know when I heard it I basically thought "oh god that sounds like an awful loving idea" and I'm sure everyone else with my mindset did too :v:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/ughitsaaron/status/1176113784982835205

oh whoops, it turns out unions can save lives. who-da-thunk

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You know there was a write-up about how the NASA software team operated that I particularly enjoyed.
They treat the job as it is: A Job. They have regular 8 hour shifts, Theyre not allowed to do overtime, they get weekends and regular holidays, they are properly taken care of physically and mentally, they regularly code in teams and document and approve everything by committee, the cowboy coding superstar culture is completely absent from every facet of development.
And they are every bit as productive as the hellish 100-hour permanent crunch time tech seems to love because they hire enough people and make sure they are trained and ready for work.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You know there was a write-up about how the NASA software team operated that I particularly enjoyed.
They treat the job as it is: A Job. They have regular 8 hour shifts, Theyre not allowed to do overtime, they get weekends and regular holidays, they are properly taken care of physically and mentally, they regularly code in teams and document and approve everything by committee, the cowboy coding superstar culture is completely absent from every facet of development.
And they are every bit as productive as the hellish 100-hour permanent crunch time tech seems to love because they hire enough people and make sure they are trained and ready for work.

Yes, but did shareholders make money? Then the NASA model is bad.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I want NASA to make a smartphone OS now. gently caress it, maybe they'll get their launch capacity back if they do that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Also, unlike about 100% of software operations, they have to sometimes deliver new poo poo that actually works.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

https://www.fastcompany.com/28121/they-write-right-stuff

Agreed, this article is 100% pro-click. And the article is over twenty years old so coding companies have no excuse.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
It sounds like they also understand root cause analysis and don't fall into the "HUMAN ERROR EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME WOOOOO" trap that like 99% of everyone everywhere gets stuck in. I appreciate that "blame the process" part quite a bit and wish more people would start from there.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
All I get from this is that government workers are lazy, overpaid and underworked compared to the beautiful efficiency of the private sector.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Also, unlike about 100% of software operations, they have to sometimes deliver new poo poo that actually works.

Software that works 100% of the time is too expensive compared to software that works 95% of the time.

You want something that will work you'll need to limit scope and :lol:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
the web industry doesn't care if it pumps out buggy bloated garbage that crashes all the time because all they care about is making it to market before anyone else so they can try to become a monopoly

maybe software engineering should be treated the same as any other type of licensed engineering

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

autism ZX spectrum posted:

All I get from this is that government workers are lazy, overpaid and underworked compared to the beautiful efficiency of the private sector.

Don't worry NASA's still forced to contract out for a ton of things by congress.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Shipon posted:

the web industry doesn't care if it pumps out buggy bloated garbage that crashes all the time because all they care about is making it to market before anyone else so they can try to become a monopoly

maybe software engineering should be treated the same as any other type of licensed engineering

It's this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shipon posted:

Following normal industrial exceptions pretty much no software would need licensing. Licensing is so you don't break laws or kill people. Software is kind of the wild west compared to roads, bridges and buildings where there are codes and laws and people can die.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

If you think no one has died because of software bugs you're in for a shock.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Inceltown posted:

Aviation and medical fields do not require engineering licensing if thats what you're going for.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

hobbesmaster posted:

Aviation and medical fields do not require engineering licensing if thats what you're going for.

Any idiot can design and build a plane. Look at the 737 Max!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Inceltown posted:

So were these patients!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therac-25