Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I love how often people get off on the stuff they're vocally horrible about.

This is why clothing designers are the most vanilla of all people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Endorph posted:

FYI, it's a fairly obscure indie game but Heartbeat RPG, uh.

https://twitter.com/Baddelline/status/1175854918294474753

She's done a bit of art for the game IIRC and if you go through their earlier stuff you can see the lead dev playing along with their dumb pronoun jokes, so, yeah gently caress Heartbeat. I remember it getting some buzz because of being cute and having gay characters, so fair warning there.

ugh i'm really utterly crushed by this. thank you for telling me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Yooo. What do you think of 2? I've been eyeing it because I loved the first game to itty bits, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
not colonel IMO the themes are a lot more interesting, lot more about motherhood and finding yourself and stuff rather than like, 'drat bitch this is sad,' feels a bit more thoughtful in that way? And the game's pretty fun, though the collectathon elements in the open world have their ups and downs. exploring is enjoyable but the structure of when stuff unlocks is a bit weird. it's a bit less focused but more interesting, i'd say.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Yooo. What do you think of 2? I've been eyeing it because I loved the first game to itty bits, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

it's p. different. if you want storytelling and structure more like anodyne 1 it'll probably disappoint you, it's a lot more structured and plot-heavy but what it does itself is really unique and i enjoyed playing through it a lot

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Colonel posted:

lol i'm glad i grabbed anodyne 1 and 2 on itch.io instead
they are good, and unlike heartbeat i don't have to append "but the dev is a huge shitlord"

to my knowledge anyway i hope i didn't just jinx it

AngryRobotsInc posted:

it's got a bit of a different tone to things but it's also good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zereth posted:

they are good, and unlike heartbeat i don't have to append "but the dev is a huge shitlord"

to my knowledge anyway i hope i didn't just jinx it

marina and sean seem pretty on the level, i wouldn't worry about it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I unzip my pants

“hon hon hon”

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also yeah it's funny comparing the writing in anodyne 2 cause anodyne 2 explores similar stuff wrt depression at times but it never goes into full-on "a snowman saying gently caress and then dying" like anodyne 1 does, which tbf there were bits like that in anodyne 1 i enjoyed, but yeah anodyne 2 feels a lot more thorough and thoughtful in how it explores its themes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

She's done a bit of art for the game IIRC and if you go through their earlier stuff you can see the lead dev playing along with their dumb pronoun jokes, so, yeah gently caress Heartbeat. I remember it getting some buzz because of being cute and having gay characters, so fair warning there.

God drat it, I liked that game. :smith:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

drat, Heartbeat looked really cute.

I don't even have strong opinions either way on trans issues, but something about a lesbian being virulently anti-trans just really vexes me.

The Colonel posted:

also yeah it's funny comparing the writing in anodyne 2 cause anodyne 2 explores similar stuff wrt depression at times but it never goes into full-on "a snowman saying gently caress and then dying" like anodyne 1 does, which tbf there were bits like that in anodyne 1 i enjoyed, but yeah anodyne 2 feels a lot more thorough and thoughtful in how it explores its themes

On the other hand Anodyne 2's 100% completion reward is literally a giant monster chasing you back to your computer when you try to go outside, sooo :v:

Anodyne 1 and 2 are both great, i m o.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I like both, but I think I like 1 more. Just due to how it's a bit looser and more interpretative with it's themes and such.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 23, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cuntellectual posted:

On the other hand Anodyne 2's 100% completion reward is literally a giant monster chasing you back to your computer when you try to go outside, sooo :v:

that's not a completion reward? that's just a hidden scene, i got that like way before i even finished all the other areas, and the game even gives you the option to skip over the last chunk of it if it makes you uncomfortable (which is nice because even as someone who's not super easily scared that whole chunk made me shaky lol)

unless there's a second section i missed that you get for getting all the coins or something

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 23, 2019

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CYBEReris posted:

i get this but im the opposite way, playing through something relatably depressing punches through the numbness and helps me feel through stuff, just like a book, poem, film, painting, etc that hit as hard would

im so loving tired of everyone i love dying that i dont need it in video games too tyvm

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think it's cool if a story explores it in a satisfying and thoughtful way and provides cathartic resolution to it, shadow hearts 2 is a bit more optimistic in that it leaves open the potential for yuri to go back and make up for things but i think all the exploration of his depression and difficulty with move on before that is really great on its own

jimmy sounds like 2 much for me tho and hits even closer to home than that so uhhhh. idk maybe i'll be in the mood for it some day but probably not for many many days lol

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Sometimes you want to have an ugly cry or get hosed up on feelings

But in moderation, yea, line up something lighter after it so you can wind down a bit.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Not gonna lie, so far the only game to ever make me outright cry was Final Fantasy XV. Full on ugly cry, little bitch baby tears at that last camping scene.

Partner walked in the room and was all "....uh...you okay?" only to get "Abluh...he...they....blubber" in response.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 23, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mentioned seabed and uh, that vn is really good but pretty much every time i decide to read some of it i get anxious enough i have to line up something a bit softer to do right after lol

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Samuringa posted:

Sometimes you want to have an ugly cry or get hosed up on feelings

But in moderation, yea, line up something lighter after it so you can wind down a bit.

that's what lost odyssey is for. sad stories with a silver lining and morals about outliving the people you love. or sometimes just well-placed dramatic irony. not just gratuitously despondent stories with a cutesy veneer

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The Colonel posted:

that's not a completion reward? that's just a hidden scene, i got that like way before i even finished all the other areas, and the game even gives you the option to skip over the last chunk of it if it makes you uncomfortable (which is nice because even as someone who's not super easily scared that whole chunk made me shaky lol)

unless there's a second section i missed that you get for getting all the coins or something

I'll be honest it's been a little while since I did it so I might have been misremembering.

Either way that was my favorite part of the entire game.

Other than the Nitrorad cameo. They imitated his way of speaking so well. :allears:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cuntellectual posted:

I'll be honest it's been a little while since I did it so I might have been misremembering.

Either way that was my favorite part of the entire game.

Other than the Nitrorad cameo. They imitated his way of speaking so well. :allears:

yeah that whole section was really cool and put me in the mood to play rpg maker horror stuff for scary month

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Not gonna lie, so far the only game to ever make me outright cry was Final Fantasy XV. Full on ugly cry, little bitch baby tears at that last camping scene.

Partner walked in the room and was all "....uh...you okay?" only to get "Abluh...he...they....blubber" in response.

The one in the post-credits? That was a hell of an emotional scene and I really loved it for what it was.

I wish FF15 was a better game overall since it did a lot of cool things but then never really extended that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

it's probably fortuitous that the thread started talking about Jimmy again a couple days after i finally decided to buy and play it, doing a lot of good at getting me to play further despite the notion that i still freak out at stuff like giygas to this day and this game is very good at creeping me out in that same way, constantly

fuckin' bear.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phantasium posted:

it's probably fortuitous that the thread started talking about Jimmy again a couple days after i finally decided to buy and play it, doing a lot of good at getting me to play further despite the notion that i still freak out at stuff like giygas to this day and this game is very good at creeping me out in that same way, constantly

fuckin' bear.

you'll never love anyone

as much as he loves you!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can't play Torna after all these years because I don't want to know more about everyone that dies

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The Colonel posted:

yeah that whole section was really cool and put me in the mood to play rpg maker horror stuff for scary month

I considered that but I am also absolutely awful with that sort of thing. :blush:

There's a few I liked (Mogekko Castle, Ib/Eve, Corpse Party) but I haven't been able to go back and play them.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Cuntellectual posted:

Anodyne 1 and 2 are both great, i m o.

That whole segment was really upsetting in terms of, "Holy poo poo what the hell."

What anodyne 2 manages with it's clunky graphics is pretty amazing in terms of aesthetics.

Nova misinterpreting the playground as some GREAT TRIAL was fun, as was the dust kid freaking her out by actually playing on it

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

The one in the post-credits? That was a hell of an emotional scene and I really loved it for what it was.

I wish FF15 was a better game overall since it did a lot of cool things but then never really extended that.

Yeah, that's the one. I was already on the edge with Stand By Me playing, and then that scene pushed me right over.

I enjoyed the hell out of XV, warts and all.

ETA: "You guys...are the best." :cry:

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 23, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Valleyant posted:

That whole segment was really upsetting in terms of, "Holy poo poo what the hell."

What anodyne 2 manages with it's clunky graphics is pretty amazing in terms of aesthetics.

Nova misinterpreting the playground as some GREAT TRIAL was fun, as was the dust kid freaking her out by actually playing on it

I was genuinely really happy to find out the Anodyne 1 style graphics came back for the shrunk down parts. I like the PS graphics too, but they are different and change is bad. :saddowns:

I'm probably just weird but being the massive cynic that I am, I kinda like how both Anodyne 1 and 2 can be interpreted as the protagonists never actually getting over their issues.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i pretty much have to be on-guard for depressing as hell stories nowadays because i can't be sure when one will finally the one to finish the job mother 3 nearly did but didn't

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Yeah, that's the one. I was already on the edge with Stand By Me playing, and then that scene pushed me right over.

I enjoyed the hell out of XV, warts and all.

ETA: "You guys...are the best." :cry:

as the photo of cup noodles falls gently to the ground

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm replaying LISA because there's really not many things that quite capture the whole 'dealing with trauma' thing like it does.

Somehow, I totally missed Nern when I played it years back. :allears:

so anyways, my potato bitch wife

e: Actually wait I got a steam achievement popup for getting him but it also says I got it when I first played it, right before I got the achievement for getting olan. :iiam:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 23, 2019

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Phantasium posted:

fuckin' bear.

The optional nightmare dungeons were great (My favorites being Ebeezil's, because it's an awesome area/concept with a completely innocuous entrance, and Turnbuckle's Mansion for obvious reasons). Even the ones that fell a bit flat in terms of symbolism or horror still had some cool moments.

That said, I'm skeptical that an eight year old would have many anxieties regarding the dehumanizing effects of capitalisim, but it made for a neat segment so I'll let it slide.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Merilan posted:

i pretty much have to be on-guard for depressing as hell stories nowadays because i can't be sure when one will finally the one to finish the job mother 3 nearly did but didn't

Time to get got by Mother 3.......2!

Personally I'm rarely in the mood for anything sad so I don't touch them much but Mother 3 is always gonna get me...

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

In all seriousness, though, I wish I could be surprised about LGB throwing T under the bus again. I really wish I could.

Most people are fine. But there's a very vocal part of the community that's been out and out malicious towards the T part for ages.

yeah, as shocking as it is that people who created a game that went "the birth of a child to mogwai depends on the love two individuals feel for each other, regardless of what gender they are!" were apparently going "UNLESS THEY'RE LYING ABOUT WHAT THEIR GENDER IS!" the whole time, it's not like i haven't seen far worse hypocrisy from game devs before.

sucks to have to go back and put an asterisk next to my recommendations for it, but that's something people should be aware of and a choice they make for themselves.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nick Buntline posted:

yeah, as shocking as it is that people who created a game that went "the birth of a child to mogwai depends on the love two individuals feel for each other, regardless of what gender they are!" were apparently going "UNLESS THEY'RE LYING ABOUT WHAT THEIR GENDER IS!" the whole time, it's not like i haven't seen far worse hypocrisy from game devs before.

sucks to have to go back and put an asterisk next to my recommendations for it, but that's something people should be aware of and a choice they make for themselves.

Personally I think the weirder part is that Miko was one of her favorite characters back when she did Touhou stuff.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
It's pretty easy to forget or paper over Miko's historical origin and this seems to be a person who likes doing that generally.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Colonel posted:

I did kinda prefer 1 explaining what's going on by just refusing to, though. You can maybe piece together what's probably happening but it never spells anything out and relies more on mood compared to Anodyne 2.

The Colonel posted:

I wished I'd taken that option not because it made me scared but because i was fighting the controls and it took me ages to succeed and once I started it I didn't get a second chance to take the easy way out.

Clarste posted:

Personally I think the weirder part is that Miko was one of her favorite characters back when she did Touhou stuff.
I'm not very familiar with touhou, what's the deal with whoever this is?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the dev's name shepple is one letter away from being sheeple.....

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Toyosatomimi no Miko is based on the real life Prince Shotoku. Naturally there would be interesting space to explore there, esp because (unless I'm misremembering) Miko alludes that she chose her current form (as a cute girl). Of course a lot of people don't actually explore that to any real degree so I'm not personally surprised a weirdo transphobe would also like that character.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Zereth posted:

Miko is somewhat unique among Touhou's predominantly female cast, because while most characters are "implied to be" or "based on" historical/mythological figures, Miko is explicitly meant to be Prince Shoutoku. You might recognize him from bill wurtz's video on the history of Japan as the "yo try this buddhsim thing out" guy". At no point do they try to hide this historical basis, and on one of the endings of her game, Sanae even calls out "wait, that moustached dude on the old 100 yen bill?"

Part of her backstory is that, after converting the country to Buddhism, she secretly used Taoist hermetic arts to fake her own death and transfer her soul into a new body to extend her lifespan. The story makes no explicit attempt to the square the circle on "wait, but Prince Shoutoko was a guy, right?", so you could theoretically come up with whatever answer you wanted, I guess. However, if you just follow the story of "started one way, transitioned into a new body, is definitely a woman", it's not hard to see what's going on.

It helps that ZUN's a pretty progressive dude in general, so it's not improbable that that was what he intended when he wrote her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zereth posted:

The Touhou character Miko is the Japanese historical figure Prince Shotoku (who's known as a Buddhist saint for first bringing Buddhism to Japan), except re-imagined as an immortal Taoist wizard. Who introduced Buddhism to the masses in order to make them more accepting of their lot in life, all while planning to become an immortal god-emperor using Taoist magic.

Anyway, the important part is that Prince Shotoku was obviously seen as a man, and his old portraits have a beard and whatnot (even in the Touhou version), while Miko is a woman. And the only thing approaching an explanation for this is a brief comment in a databook along the lines of "when being reborn as a (Taoist wizard) the caster can choose any form they want. Miko chose to have a new form while (another character) did not." So basically the implication is that Prince Shotoku chose to become a woman because she wanted to, and no one ever questions that or comments on it.

Anyway, Miko is an amazing character for unrelated reasons, but also something of a trans icon for a subset of Touhou fans.