Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

How do I add profanity to the dictionary in my 11?

Use it a lot? It’s still gonna change loving do ducking every so often but it doesn’t try to replace poo poo or gently caress anymore for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I meant for the swiping method of typing; i figured you’d need to enter them manually.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Haven’t tried it but you could add them as shortcuts and make both entries the same? That’s what I did for those words iOS insisted on putting in all caps for some reason, like ace.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

George H.W. oval office posted:

I'm looking for a replacement coffee brewing timer. I was using Intelligentsia's app which was perfect but I guess its no longer available in the app store. A simple timer that allows me to change the style of brew along with yield is all I really crave

I use an app called Slow Bar for coffee timing. It’s simple and has instructions for several methods.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

How do I add profanity to the dictionary in my 11?

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1175421379656728577?s=21

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

That's pretty good. and if you add profanity as the relatives, those work too.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Woof posted:

How did I get the free PocketCast deal? I paid for the app, but I can’t see an option to restore purchases.
I tried to buy the 99p subscriptions thinking it would tell me the content has already been paid for, but I have been charged.

What am I missing?

My understanding is that we don’t because we only paid for the mobile app and not the web one.

Violator
May 15, 2003

hadji murad posted:

My understanding is that we don’t because we only paid for the mobile app and not the web one.

Yeah you only got grandfathered in if you had previously paid the one time $9 charge for access to the web app.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Can't you just add a keyboard shortcut that has hosed as a shortcut for hosed?
e: It apparently only words for manual typing and not swipe.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 23, 2019

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I've been using gboard for ages bc of wanting Swype but actual Swype was broken when it first came out, so I don't have this issue and I feel bad that I didn't know about it to warm others.

Instead gboard crashes way more than it used it :v:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What if I want to swear but don't want to fill my contacts list with garbage entries?

widunder
May 2, 2002
I often use the document scanning feature of the iOS Notes app. I've found that the PDF files the app puts out unfortunately have a white border around the actual scanned document. Am I doing something wrong or can this be corrected within the app (without using Acrobat Pro or something like that afterwards)?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don’t know but I’ve been using Dropbox’s document scanner it’s been great.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I use Readdle's Scanner Pro a lot. I haven't tried Dropbox's scan option. Since all my Scanner Pro stuff gets uploaded to Dropbox that might be a good option.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
I know Podcast.app catches a lot of poo poo but is anyone using it with iOS 13 and reads/posts in these dead gay forums?

I noticed a weird bug where if I’m listening to a podcast and I start deleting episodes from my library, it pauses audio playback. Nothing catastrophic, just weird.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Dick Nipples posted:

I know Podcast.app catches a lot of poo poo but is anyone using it with iOS 13 and reads/posts in these dead gay forums?

I noticed a weird bug where if I’m listening to a podcast and I start deleting episodes from my library, it pauses audio playback. Nothing catastrophic, just weird.

I use it once or twice a week for the grand total of two podcasts that get my subscription. It's a hot mess but I use it so rarely that buying anything else seems like a waste.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

What if I want to swear but don't want to fill my contacts list with garbage entries?

I just cuss prolifically enough that it stopped trying to correct me after a week or two :shrug:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Good News : I can now swear on my phone without it complaining

Bad News : due to an administration error, my emergency contact is now Uncle oval office Bastard

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Apparently this works.

Gotta use lowercases unless you want gently caress to be always capitalized.

Edit: Just like the video you’d need to add a “relative” for loving, hosed, and fucker to get it to learn those words as well. But better than having a million contacts.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 23, 2019

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Cloudflare updated their 1.1.1.1 DNS app with their 'Warp' VPN they announced on April 1st.

Trying it out it seems to legitimately make everything internet related on my phone faster (which I suppose could just be placebo but it seems significant) but my 'too good to be true' senses are tingling

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Can ios do animated gifs as wallpapers, or am I stuck with Dynamic's limited selection?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Anyone have any good iPad video player recommendations? Now that there's native samba share support in Files, I wanna watch some stuff like anime that doesn't fit neatly into my Plex server.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

pnumoman posted:

Anyone have any good iPad video player recommendations? Now that there's native samba share support in Files, I wanna watch some stuff like anime that doesn't fit neatly into my Plex server.

I like nPlayer personally

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

priznat posted:

I like nPlayer personally

Thanks, I'll check it out

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pnumoman posted:

I like Outplayer. Helps that it's completely free. Tried it based on the dev's post on /r/Apple and it's played everything I've thrown at it flawlessly

step_s posted:

I watch a lot of video on my Mac where there are some great projects like mpv and IINA, but haven’t been satisfied with the design of video player apps on iOS. I was also inspired in particular by IINA so I wanted to try to create something to fulfill that niche on iOS.

So I created Outplayer! It uses mpv as a backend, so it will have no issues playing anything you throw at it. I designed the playback UI to be fluid and follow the iOS design language, and it has some QoL features like adjusting subtitles to fit when cropping or showing controls. I’m also looking to build out more “videophile” features in the future.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Nice, yeah check out the free one first, although I think the nPlayer cost is for certain codec licensing.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

101 posted:

I like Outplayer. Helps that it's completely free. Tried it based on the dev's post on /r/Apple and it's played everything I've thrown at it flawlessly

Cool, I'll check this out first then. Thanks everyone.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
It’s not so slick looking, but good old VLC has handled most things I’ve thrown at it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
+1 for nPlayer being awesome and working with everything I’ve thrown at it. Some videos haven’t worked great over Chromecast from my iPhone but I think that’s a Chromecast problem more than an nPlayer one.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Are there any fonts available yet? The font section of the settings sends you to the App Store, but I don’t see a font section there. Searching for “font” returns a bunch of old apps that just look like Unicode keyboards.

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 25, 2019

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

tankadillo posted:

Are there any fonts available yet? The font section of the settings sends you to the App Store, but I don’t see a font section there. Searching for “font” returns a bunch of old apps that just look like Unicode keyboards.

Fonts aren’t a thing yet, maybe in 13.2?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Are you sure? There’s a font section of the settings, and it has a button that takes you to the App Store to install fonts.

As far as I can tell, though, there are no actual fonts to install.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

tankadillo posted:

Are you sure? There’s a font section of the settings, and it has a button that takes you to the App Store to install fonts.

As far as I can tell, though, there are no actual fonts to install.

Honestly? I’m not sure what Apple has in mind there, I just figure it’ll be pushed with the next release.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Some apps support loading in custom fonts right now. Ulysses for example. Just “Open in Ulysses/App” and it gets added, but only for that specific app.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

101 posted:

Cloudflare updated their 1.1.1.1 DNS app with their 'Warp' VPN they announced on April 1st.

Trying it out it seems to legitimately make everything internet related on my phone faster (which I suppose could just be placebo but it seems significant) but my 'too good to be true' senses are tingling

I tested this with Cloudflare off, on, and with Warp active, and using Warp straight up murdered my upload speed and a good chunk of the download, using the Speedtest app on the same server each time.

I'm talking going from a high of 278/38 to 170/0.6.
I tried a few times and the upload never went higher than 1 and a few hundredths.
Turning off Warp immediately restored my rated speeds.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
For the love of (Satan, etc), how can I receive a fax on my iPhone? I’ll pay $1 a page if I need to, now I drive a quarter of the way across town to Kinkis (fedex) to find that, no , no fax has yet arrived with my name on the cover page.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Remulak posted:

For the love of (Satan, etc), how can I receive a fax on my iPhone? I’ll pay $1 a page if I need to, now I drive a quarter of the way across town to Kinkis (fedex) to find that, no , no fax has yet arrived with my name on the cover page.

You tell them to email it

or use hellofax

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Mister Facetious posted:

I tested this with Cloudflare off, on, and with Warp active, and using Warp straight up murdered my upload speed and a good chunk of the download, using the Speedtest app on the same server each time.

I'm talking going from a high of 278/38 to 170/0.6.
I tried a few times and the upload never went higher than 1 and a few hundredths.
Turning off Warp immediately restored my rated speeds.

I think this is caused by an issue in iOS13. When I started the beta I had to disable 1.1.1.1. on 12.? It worked perfectly for me :( sucks

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Is there any way with Messages or some other app I can get text messages sent from one phone to another? The ones I’d care about most would be iMessages if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

nitsuga posted:

Is there any way with Messages or some other app I can get text messages sent from one phone to another? The ones I’d care about most would be iMessages if that helps.

This sounds like you are abandoning ship for Android. In that instance, you can back up your iPhone through iTunes. There is an Android app that can import your backed up messages into Android.