Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

edit: oh son of a bitch he's a mocking bird

god drat it toby

:blastu: :dogcited:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Oxxidation posted:

my personal take on it is that they were a lot more outgoing when they were younger but their insecurity over the whole "human" thing caused them to start acting out, and their parents' divorce drove them fully into their shell. if the townspeople's anecdotes are accurate then asriel was the only person left that they stayed close to, so they're probably not doing so well without him around

I wonder when the player first started taking control of Kris. When things about the past are brought up no one seems to remember Kris as being the silent, standoffish weirdo that they are while under the player's control. My guess would be either around the time of the divorce or when Asriel left.

Also I hope we'll be able to return Kris's copy of "How to Draw Dragons" at some point in the full game. At least I assume it's Kris's copy, I don't see Asriel as being the type of Good Boy to let a library book become 2,583 days overdue. If it is Kris's though that would make sense as to why, like the knife, the player isn't able to interact with it or even know it's there at any point during the time that they're in control of Kris.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 18, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

overmind2000 posted:

I wonder when the player first started taking control of Kris, when things about the past are brought up no one seems to remember Kris as being the silent, standoffish weirdo that they are when under the player's control.

it's the other way around - kris is unusually social and curious when under our control (because we're schlepping around hometown talking to everyone). i bet that normally they just let toriel drive them home and then go straight to bed

kris has apparently been abusing their soul for a while, but it's likely that the events of deltarune are the first time we start time-sharing their body

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Little back a ways, but Gaster's thematic tie to Undertale seems largely bound in the negative aspects of determination; reckless experimentation for the sake of seeing what happens next, like Flowey or Genocide route (though I don't feel like Gaster is focused much on explicitly harming others).

For Noelle, I get the impression that she doesn't really have anything against Kris despite the past pranks, and is used to helping out with schoolwork - but Kris doesn't usually approach her of late without some specific ask in mind, so when you try talking about just anything in general, she gets concerned that something's wrong and it's only then that she thinks to ask why Kris visited her dad. (Relatedly, an amusing consequence of going to the Hospital first is that Kris will ask Berdly to go to Rudy's window when you greet him afterwards.)

Also, I get feeling the Dark World's going to involve a video game and the mayor at some point.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Lol my guess was way off

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Scarodactyl posted:

Lol my guess was way off

toby's gonna be so mad when he finds out about all your leaks

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Pumpkin pie is the best.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Scarodactyl posted:

Lol my guess was way off

NDA! NDA! Someone get some spoiler tags, stat!

Also, bards can be fairly effective RPG support people, even healers. So I think it is still on base for predictions.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this got recommended to me and this dude is pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-MaslEgG9o&hd=1

but this duet is even better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M37tu3-LPwY&hd=1

especially the outtake where his dog really wants to join in :3:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/1175796941411819520

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Now I have the car

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Stoic streamer Authorblues just did a stream of Undertale after spending 4 years avoiding it, and he loved it.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Samovar posted:

Stoic streamer Authorblues just did a stream of Undertale after spending 4 years avoiding it, and he loved it.
8-bitryan and dansalvato also started recently.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Nyaa posted:

8-bitryan and dansalvato also started recently.

Dan did it as a celebration do DDLC 2 year anniversary. I’m happy he did but confused as to how that was the catalyst

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I'd assume people wouldn't shut up about Undertale in the chat, the fanbases overlap

I'd also assume he was lying about not having played it before, I get it, blind playthroughs get more views

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Spiffster posted:

Dan did it as a celebration do DDLC 2 year anniversary. I’m happy he did but confused as to how that was the catalyst

Some people have compared the two games because they both have some level of "meta" narrative, but I don't think that'd be it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
They're connected because Monika is Gaster and DDLC takes place in the same universe

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
doesn't monika even mention something about how her view of the world lost its color or w/e

and all the goners are grayscale

:aaaaa:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Spiffster posted:

Jesus gently caress, DDLC is already 2 years old?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Samovar posted:

I just finished the archive, it was nice to see his usually-unbroken facade crumble towards the end. "It's not that I don't want to cry on stream, whatever, but...I'm a sobber, so, I'd rather not" :v: Also really amazing the things that made him absolutely lose it being relatively mundane stuff, but he just completely disintegrated at temmie village iirc

Not really sure who he is, I think a speedrunner? But the playthrough was great. If you follow him post whenever he does DDLC, that ought to be a hoot if he manages to survive unspoiled before playing it, especially now that he announced he will be.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
okay these are getting silly now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC6EZrW9AlU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That has no business sounding as good as it does. For the intro part, at least. After that it's a little wonky.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Captain Invictus posted:

I just finished the archive, it was nice to see his usually-unbroken facade crumble towards the end. "It's not that I don't want to cry on stream, whatever, but...I'm a sobber, so, I'd rather not" :v: Also really amazing the things that made him absolutely lose it being relatively mundane stuff, but he just completely disintegrated at temmie village iirc

Not really sure who he is, I think a speedrunner? But the playthrough was great. If you follow him post whenever he does DDLC, that ought to be a hoot if he manages to survive unspoiled before playing it, especially now that he announced he will be.

Oh man, watching it right now, it's great.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The 8bitryan one though is...well I am glad he is enjoying himself but boy howdy this is some sensory overload unnecessary zaniness youtuber stuff. Just constant zoom womp womp laugh track cut cut loud noise cricket chirps cut facepalm stuff, rarely letting the content speak for itself.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
voidburger's run while chip cheezum is watching along and giving her vague hints is my favorite playthrough

https://youtu.be/B8w4qqY_8fY

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/otherRPG/status/1178688808876941312

Saw this back when UT was really taking off and have been lightly following it. Figured it wouldn't be too bad if I left a small plug for it here as it's combat aims for a similar kind of style.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Saw this back when UT was really taking off and have been lightly following it. Figured it wouldn't be too bad if I left a small plug for it here as it's combat aims for a similar kind of style.

This looks neat, it might just be how the trailer is constructed but the combat has more of a "Warioware minigames" vibe to me, which actually sounds like a really fun idea now that I think of it?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

that's a pretty fascinating combat system, and the aesthetic style is great. definitely backing that!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

TheNamedSavior posted:

No, she didn't? Mettaton doesn't own a human soul, and her goals were just to cure depression, nothing that she did had any effect on the fate of the underground, it was Mettaton's fault for actually trying to kill the child where Alphys was blinded by Mental Illness (It is VERY HEAVILY implied in the game that she was going to kill herself if it wasn't for her chance meeting with Undyne).

If Alphys was a guy you wouldn't be criticizing her at all.

Toriel NEVER said to kill any humans and just left it at "collect" which could've meant that Asgore could've taken an dying old man

This.

But Alphys doesn't get a pass for her mental illness and suicidal remorse despite doing less than what Asgore did? (MURDER CHILDREN)

What a bunch of bullshit. Papyrus antics ALSO harm Frisks so the "but duh the bitch fake nerd girl also harms frisk" argument is bullshit that has no logic to it for the same reason. Alphys doesn't kill Frisk because SHE has empathy like every other character in the game not because she's a one-dimensional bitch who's doing it for the fame. She already WAS famous and she had the STRESS of THE ENTIRE UNDERGROUND putting the job of being the ROYAL SCIENTIST on her for however long after Gaster died(?) to the point that she messed up the Soul experiments (That were done to HELP the Underground and SAVE PEOPLE WHO DIED) and was ON THE VERGE OF SUICIDE. It wasn't "for popularity". It was "so I can convince everyone (and myself) to see that I'm not a worthless piece of poo poo who horribly mutated a bunch of innocent monsters on accident."

"Wanted to be popular" no she wasn't, see above. "Fake adventure was super gross and mainpulative" but not murdering children. " Alphys could play anime adventure time." if anything it was Mettaton who benefited from the anime adventure more than Alphys, if anything she probably did it so that she could get him off of her back about how the sexy robot trans boy is the coolest guy ever and he should be the star while Alphys gets no credit from what she did.

And for gently caress's sake, don't COMPARE SILLY VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS TO AN WAR CRIMINAL. THAT'S super gross. But I guess a fictional female character being naughty is more important to you than tasteful comparisons to literal nazis who's goals were completely incomparable to a gay dinosaurs.

And I love that everyone ignores the fact that the creations of her "mengele" ARE people with their own emotions and feelings...who show no hatred to Alphys because she was just trying to help them in the end and when they finally reunite with their families ALL of them show little fright at the fact that their family had turned into even weirder monsters.

But that would require you to humanize the monsters in a game about doing just that. Guess you'd prefer making "tasteful" godwin comparsions.

Toriel was queen before the "kill all humans" plan and the act of killing Asgore probably would've lead to people starting an civil war against "that evil queen who murdered the king" or Asgore killing her leading to "the king kill his wife because straight people are the devil" and then asgore gets stabbed to death.

^

Fixed.

They put Sans from Undertale in Smash.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
That was two weeks ago.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

* There are post stains on the carpet.
* You feel as though the THREAD has been locked in the birdcage before...

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
You guys don't know good content when you see it to have just glanced over this golden post.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

alphys reminds me of lisa simpson

e: in design that is. lisa is a good character and alphys is bad

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I liked Alphys a lot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alphys is a well written character who has done reprehensible things and also just generally lovely things as a friend so it's understandable to dislike her

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I have an opinion about Alphys, but it's okay if your opinion is different from my opinion.

You have to agree with me that anime is real, though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I love that Alphys's theme, like Alphys herself, puts its worst foot forward musically so that you kind of hate it when it starts but it goes on it becomes more nuanced and an actual good song by the time you get like a minute into it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm genuinely curious what it is about disliking Alphys that sets people off. People always try to psychoanalyze you like you must hate Alphys because you hate women, or because you project onto her and are self loathing, or because you're homophobic.

The one that always gets me is "you know it implies she was going to kill herself right???" As if they're accusing you of being responsible for a fictional character's implied hypothetical death. I cant think of any other character that gets people so defensive

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Danaru posted:

I'm genuinely curious what it is about disliking Alphys that sets people off. People always try to psychoanalyze you like you must hate Alphys because you hate women, or because you project onto her and are self loathing, or because you're homophobic.

The one that always gets me is "you know it implies she was going to kill herself right???" As if they're accusing you of being responsible for a fictional character's implied hypothetical death. I cant think of any other character that gets people so defensive

its cause she owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Danaru posted:

Which is a weird tact to take because her principle flaws, outside of crippling insecurity, is just plain incompetence and blame-shifting. She's responsible for Asriel becoming a soulless monster flower, what happened to the Amalgams, and helping Asgore with his insanely lovely plan to break the Barrier, and largely just kind of coasted to disaster off the back of all of Gaster's already misbegotten work.