Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Holy poo poo this is so goddamn triggering this is how you get rubbery poo poo eggs. Never salt eggs before cooking them

We're talking scrambled eggs here!

I highly recommend purchasing (and reading) The Food Lab. The author does a really good job in breaking down the science :science: behind cooking a lot of different foods.

Excerpt:
"When eggs cool and coagulate, the proteins in the yolks pull tighter and tighter as they get hotter. When they get too tight, they begin to squeeze liquid out from the curds, resulting in eggs that weep in a most embarrassing manner. Adding salt to the eggs well before cooking can prevent the proteins from bonding too tightly by reducing their attraction to one another, resulting in a more tender curd and less likelihood of unattractive weeping."

Plus, it's cheaper than a copy of Anthem at release!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
*gets taken to egg school, like an egg fool*

*weeps embarrassingly*

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ah gently caress first Anthem is a bad game and now I've been cooking eggs wrong all my life.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

wtf is unattractive egg weeping

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
when the mascara smears

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

El_Elegante posted:

*gets taken to egg school, like an egg fool*

*weeps embarrassingly*

No, no, the salt is supposed to prevent weeping

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Fitzy Fitz posted:

wtf is unattractive egg weeping

My new username.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Anthem: Low-Sodium Weeping

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Lmao I'll listen to Jacques Pepin on eggs and I watched that motherfucker add salt you fool, you rear end, you anthem

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Sometimes I wonder why I have an antenna but then I remember Jacques and gang on the PBS channel

He's not really good but I do enjoy the BBQ guy because he generally will cook beef in a field with cows walking around lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlI_bLN0KfE&t=19s

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
pro-vo-loney

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Barbecuing with Franklin also kicks rear end and is accessible via the PBS app

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I had a mushroom teriyaki burger today at Yo Sushi and it was gorgeous

The bun was perfectly fluffy and the sauce was the tasty bbq sauce I've ever had. It had a tang but didn't have that burnt taste you get sometimes. So good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Other salt tips:

- Salt (most) meat well in advance of cooking it. I'm talking hours here, even longer if it's a whole chicken, several days if it's a whole turkey. The salt won't dry it out--it'll dissolve into the meat and season it more effectively than if you just seasoned it right before cooking. When I roast a whole turkey for Thanksgiving I salt it all over three full days in advance and it owns every single year.

- The exception to this is burgers. A lot of chefs (including Gordon Ramsey) insist that you should season the inside of a burger (by seasoning the meat before forming the burger patties), but this gives you a tougher, firmer burger that you might not always want. Kenji Lopez-Alt describes it as a more "meatloaf" texture than a burger texture. If you form a burger out of unseasoned beef then season the outside just before cooking, you'll get a more tender and juicy burg.

- Everyone knows by now you should salt your pasta water (quite a lot). This is also true for water for blanching vegetables. Boiled vegetables suck mostly because the water leeches out all the flavor, but if you heavily salt the water beforehand (and you should taste the water to test that it's unbearably salty), the whole equilibrium shifts and the vegetables will absorb salt from the water and not the other way around. If you want blanched vegetables that taste insanely good, whether you're going to eat them just plain blanched or use them for something else, add a shitload of salt to the water before blanching.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
https://nichegamer.com/2019/09/22/bioware-drops-post-launch-content-for-anthem-to-focus-on-issues-with-main-game/

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Yeah we already laughed heartily about the blog post that guy weakly recapped, we talkin pork chops now son

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

- Everyone knows by now you should salt your pasta water (quite a lot). This is also true for water for blanching vegetables. Boiled vegetables suck mostly because the water leeches out all the flavor, but if you heavily salt the water beforehand (and you should taste the water to test that it's unbearably salty), the whole equilibrium shifts and the vegetables will absorb salt from the water and not the other way around. If you want blanched vegetables that taste insanely good, whether you're going to eat them just plain blanched or use them for something else, add a shitload of salt to the water before blanching.

An Italian once told me "When your pasta water tastes like the Mediterranean sea, you did it right."
Pretty nifty rule of thumb.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm absolutely going to remember that saltwater tip for blanching veggies

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm still waiting on a good chili recipe

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Well the start to any good chili is lots of beans.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
You gotta suck that chili right out of the hole

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

please start a separate thread about anthem if you want to talk about that game anymore

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hopper posted:

An Italian once told me "When your pasta water tastes like the Mediterranean sea, you did it right."
Pretty nifty rule of thumb.

Yeah, you should taste the water and, as Samin Nosrat says, it should taste like you remember the sea. It shouldn't actually be as salty as the sea because that's way too much, but your memory of the sea is the right benchmark.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm still waiting on a good chili recipe

I've got a couple I'll post when I'm back at my computer. I've got a quick weeknight one that isn't real Texas chili, and I have another that takes all day (or faster with a pressure cooker) and uses chunks of beef, dried chiles, and no tomatoes or beans for that serious chili flavor.

In case I forget, my all-day chili recipe is based on this one from Serious Eats: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/real-texas-chili-con-carne.html

I use beer in place of some of the broth and add a couple ounces of dark chocolate.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 23, 2019

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Gobblecoque posted:

Well the start to any good chili is lots of beans.

how dare you

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Chili without beans is just a meat paste

You need fiber with your fire soup

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

moist turtleneck posted:

Chili without beans is just a meat paste

You need fiber with your fire soup

laughs in terlingua

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Harrow posted:

Do I add the oil to the water before or after adding the salt?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Adding oil to your pasta water does nothing, use it to finish a dish at the very end.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pour the oil directly into your mouth after the pasta is finished to avoid living a coward's life.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

The best way to cook pasta is to treat it like a risotto.

Have boiling water with some salt (less than the mediterranean sea, more than a pinch) at the ready. Put your pasta in a dry skillet on light heat. Add a ladle or two of the water to the skillet, just enough to cover the pasta in the skillet. Start moving it and as soon as it becomes pliable, flipping it. As the water evaporates, continue adding a ladle or two at the time until your pasta is almost al dente - which will take 2-3 minutes longer than usual, but is easier to get right by biting the pasta during the cooking. What you want is a minimal amount of water in the skillet at all times. Once it's basically cooked, add the stuff that you need to form the sauce and mix.

What happens is that with this method, you super-concentrate the extracted starch from the pasta in the water. Flipping that mixture will then aerate it. Essentially, you will get something the consistency of a light cream/roux that will stick to the pasta and perfectly emulsify with the fat in your sauce, making it coat the individual strands completely. This is why restaurant pasta always seems to be more glossy and more delicious and forms a more cohesive sauce - they reuse the same water to cook multiple batches, which intensifies the amount of starch in the mixture, and they then use a ladleful or two to finish the sauce. This method emulates that effect without needing to boil multiple bunches of pasta.

Also, at the same time, because you're so close to evaporating the water, the pasta will absorb the flavor in the water very efficiently. This is why you shouldn't salt it as much, and also a great way to infuse further flavor - if you're making, say, pasta with lobster, use lobster bisque instead of water. Experiment, the world is your oyster. I make my own twist on aglio e olio in this method (first prepare the oil with garlic and hot pepper normally, reserve; add a sprig of parsley to the boiling salted water to infuse it with the parsley flavor; cook pasta as described with that water; add back the oil; finish with a pinch or two of parsley for color) and it's perfect every time. Same with my carbonara, perfectly creamy with zero cream or butter.

This method is called 'risottare la pasta,' and it is a gamechanger.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I believe the fat, acid, salt, heat lady adds way too much salt to her pasta

Her recipe for foccacia is good though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tuo posted:

Do I add the oil to the water before or after adding the salt?

Neither. Adding oil to the water doesn't do anything useful. I used to think it prevented boil-overs but after some testing I don't think it does.

moist turtleneck posted:

I believe the fat, acid, salt, heat lady adds way too much salt to her pasta

Her recipe for foccacia is good though

Yeah, personally I think "as salty as the sea" is more than you want for pasta because it's going to absorb a lot of the water. You want your water salty, but if you taste it and it reminds you of the sea that's too far. It's perfect for blanching vegetables though.

That ratio might be different for dry vs fresh pasta though. Fresh pasta cooks much faster and absorbs less water, so you might want your water saltier for that.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 23, 2019

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Harrow posted:

Neither. Adding oil to the water doesn't do anything useful. I used to think it prevented boil-overs but after some testing I don't think it does.

In fact it's even worse, cause the water will have some starch so you will get the emulsification effect I described, except instead of it being with your sauce, it's gonna be with the oil you added to the water. Meaning you'll get pasta from which all your sauce just slides off.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vermain posted:

Pour the oil directly into your mouth after the pasta is finished to avoid living a coward's life.

:hmmorks:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

dex_sda posted:

Have boiling water with some salt (less than the mediterranean sea, more than a pinch) at the ready. Put your pasta in a dry skillet on light heat. Add a ladle or two of the water to the skillet, just enough to cover the pasta in the skillet. Start moving it and as soon as it becomes pliable, flipping it. As the water evaporates, continue adding a ladle or two at the time until your pasta is almost al dente - which will take 2-3 minutes longer than usual, but is easier to get right by biting the pasta during the cooking. What you want is a minimal amount of water in the skillet at all times. Once it's basically cooked, add the stuff that you need to form the sauce and mix.

What happens is that with this method, you super-concentrate the extracted starch from the pasta in the water. Flipping that mixture will then aerate it. Essentially, you will get something the consistency of a light cream/roux that will stick to the pasta and perfectly emulsify with the fat in your sauce, making it coat the individual strands completely. This is why restaurant pasta always seems to be more glossy and more delicious and forms a more cohesive sauce - they reuse the same water to cook multiple batches, which intensifies the amount of starch in the mixture, and they then use a ladleful or two to finish the sauce. This method emulates that effect without needing to boil multiple bunches of pasta.

Also, at the same time, because you're so close to evaporating the water, the pasta will absorb the flavor in the water very efficiently. This is why you shouldn't salt it as much, and also a great way to infuse further flavor - if you're making, say, pasta with lobster, use lobster bisque instead of water. Experiment, the world is your oyster. I make my own twist on aglio e olio in this method (first prepare the oil with garlic and hot pepper normally, reserve; add a sprig of parsley to the boiling salted water to infuse it with the parsley flavor; cook pasta as described with that water; add back the oil; finish with a pinch or two of parsley for color) and it's perfect every time. Same with my carbonara, perfectly creamy with zero cream or butter.

Hm this is a good idea since I always like the results of risotto but never have the patience to make actual risotto.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

where the gently caress did that emote come from

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

dex_sda posted:

This is pretty wild and I want to try it, thanks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That's a really fascinating method and it makes a lot of sense--the way risotto works is very similar, because it also relies heavily on the starch on the outside of the grain.

exquisite tea posted:

Hm this is a good idea since I always like the results of risotto but never have the patience to make actual risotto.

Good news: it's a lot easier than conventional wisdom says: https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/the-food-lab-the-science-of-risotto.html

For a quick summary: you don't actually need to slowly ladle in liquid and stir the whole time. All of the starch that thickens a risotto is on the outside of the rice, so it's ending up in the liquid whether you constantly stir the pot or not. Adding liquid slowly can help make sure you add exactly enough, but you don't need to go ladle by ladle. I've tested this and it works just as well as the traditional method for me, while also being a lot less labor-intensive.

In the article, he also rinses the rice in the broth first (so that all the rice's starch is in the broth and isn't removed by toasting the rice), and "cheats" a bit by adding cream at the end (which, in my experience, is nice but not at all necessary).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 23, 2019

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Harrow posted:

That's a really fascinating method and it makes a lot of sense--the way risotto works is very similar, because it also relies heavily on the starch on the outside of the grain.

Good news: it's a lot easier than conventional wisdom says: https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/the-food-lab-the-science-of-risotto.html

For a quick summary: you don't actually need to slowly ladle in liquid and stir the whole time. All of the starch that thickens a risotto is on the outside of the rice, so it's ending up in the liquid whether you constantly stir the pot or not. Adding liquid slowly can help make sure you add exactly enough, but you don't need to go ladle by ladle. I've tested this and it works just as well as the traditional method for me, while also being a lot less labor-intensive.

In the article, he also rinses the rice in the broth first (so that all the rice's starch is in the broth and isn't removed by toasting the rice), and "cheats" a bit by adding cream at the end (which, in my experience, is nice but not at all necessary).

Yeah it's not an exact science for both the risotto and the 'risottare la pasta' method. The biggest advantage of adding slowly is that you can add as necessary - if you add too much broth to a risotto it's a disaster - and that stirring and flipping will aerate the mixture a little bit better when there's less of it. But the results of it done perfectly and it done haphazardly is barely noticeable. I just say to sit there and keep flipping it so you get it right the first time, and then you can see where you can cut a corner or two.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

dex_sda posted:

Yeah it's not an exact science for both the risotto and the 'risottare la pasta' method. The biggest advantage of adding slowly is that you can add as necessary - if you add too much broth to a risotto it's a disaster - and that stirring and flipping will aerate the mixture a little bit better when there's less of it. But the results of it done perfectly and it done haphazardly is barely noticeable. I just say to sit there and keep flipping it so you get it right the first time, and then you can see where you can cut a corner or two.

That makes sense. Personally, I tend to split the difference. I don't do the "no stir, add all the liquid at once" method, but I also don't stir constantly and add the liquid one ladle at a time. If nothing else, occasional stirring helps prevent the bottom from scorching if your heat is a little too high.

Maybe the reason Kenji adds whipped cream to his at the end is to recapture some of the aeration you miss by not stirring often. I think he does the same for his pressure cooker risotto recipes.

I'm going to have to try the risottare al pasta method soon--that sounds like a cool way to cook pasta.