Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Spanish Matlock posted:

My main issue with the more exploration and dungeon diving mods is that you can't really do fine control on monsters and where they spawn/what they do.

So every dungeon, no matter how cool or well designed, is just "This is a room full of assholes. They spawn endlessly from a block. Run in and kill the block, try not to die, and then clean up the remaining assholes milling around."

It's quite possible to make spawners that have a limited amount of spawns. Often this is done by setting a single spawn per spawner block, to set up the room. Monsters spawned this way are usually set to not despawn.
A more advanced dungeon would also have block/build protection tied to a block in the final room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the primordial desert map generator I mentioned previously had some really good traps(some of which are ruined by texture packs due to changing otherwise camouflaged triggers and pitfalls etc) such as creeper spawners in the ceilings of long brick tunnels, where when you're just dashing down the corridor it's really easy to miss the dark slot in the ceiling and then you've got 2-3 creepers dropping down right behind you.

Also, a chicken TNT trap that would blow massive holes into the corridors and surrounding environments, where a chicken spawner would pop out a chicken as soon as you got within range, and then it would wander onto a pressure plate, setting off like 40 blocks of TNT surrounding a section of dungeon corridor.

Or stone corridors with stone pressure plates covering up sand, and stepping on the pressure plate makes the sand "realize" it's not supported by anything, and Looney Toons right down a vertical 30-block shaft to bedrock, taking you with it if you were on it at the time.

The dungeons were basically endless(as far as you generated, at least) and would crisscross the entire map most of the time. It was fantastic and incredibly dangerous.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
MCDungeon, the best dungeon generator I ever found, would create really, really fun dungeon layouts but the big, unavoidable downside was that it needed to be run on your world as a generator; it wasn't a mod that worked in-game.

E: Unfortunately, after several years, it looks like this is no longer going to be supported in 1.13, so 1.12 is the last version that'll see this work. A shame to see this old comfort go.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 22, 2019

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

McFrugal posted:

It's quite possible to make spawners that have a limited amount of spawns. Often this is done by setting a single spawn per spawner block, to set up the room. Monsters spawned this way are usually set to not despawn.
A more advanced dungeon would also have block/build protection tied to a block in the final room.

That's fair I suppose. I think you can do interesting things but it tends to be more like a trap sort of thing. Like I really enjoy the few times that Dimension Doors rooms have really taken me by surprise.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Project Ozone 3 Titan dropped today.

It's...more Project Ozone. I've recently got back into PO3 so I'm enjoying it.

It seems like very few folks in here have/are playing it. I never really got the threads overall opinion of it.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

ProfessorCirno posted:

So thinking on it, as cliche as it sounds, I think my problems boil down to a kinda basic turn around on the game's themes, which are...right there in the name <snip>

One of the things I really enjoy doing in modded minecraft is designing bases wherein all the messy automation is hidden away inside structures that are pleasing to the eye. It gives me something to do even when I'm hitting the endgame, and it's fun to build a contraption where things appear to just work. The problem for me is staying interested through the early grind to the point where I can actually build an enormous sprawling complex of rooms.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So, I'm kinda getting back into minecraft after not playing it for like 8 years or something. In wandering around trying to find a good base location, I found an ice area with huge pillars of packed ice, and decided to make an ice fortress. Are there decent mods for doing that sort of thing, like making ice stairs a thing, or sort of like a stonecutter station but for like packed/regular ice,, and carving designs into it and whatnot? I found some old stuff for ice stairs but it doesn't seem to work for 1.14.

Suggested mods that might work for the theme are welcome too though.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay, trying to make a basic filter with Integrated Dynamics. It LOOKS like in order to do this, I need to make an inventory reader, point it at a chest containing the item or items I need to filter for, connect it to a cable(preferably connected to the cable network where I'm filtering items), right-click it to open the GUI, put a Variable Card in the list slot to retrieve the list of items, then take the card out and put it in an importer or exporter. Also, I can't loving remove the Inventory Reader from the cable where I want to do my filtering, because it complains about a missing Part ID if I do that. WHY? It doesn't even have to be pointed at anything!
edit: oh god I need to leave the chest there, because the card doesn't store the information, it's just a pointer.

Is there any way to actually store the information? If your filter needs to have expensive items on it this isn't a good solution.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 23, 2019

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So, I'm kinda getting back into minecraft after not playing it for like 8 years or something. In wandering around trying to find a good base location, I found an ice area with huge pillars of packed ice, and decided to make an ice fortress. Are there decent mods for doing that sort of thing, like making ice stairs a thing, or sort of like a stonecutter station but for like packed/regular ice,, and carving designs into it and whatnot? I found some old stuff for ice stairs but it doesn't seem to work for 1.14.

Suggested mods that might work for the theme are welcome too though.

There’s a mod called Blockcraftery that lets you make frame blocks shaped like steps, doors, fences, etc. and combine it with another block to take that block’s textures. It’s great for buildings like that.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Arkitektbmw posted:

Project Ozone 3 Titan dropped today.

It's...more Project Ozone. I've recently got back into PO3 so I'm enjoying it.

It seems like very few folks in here have/are playing it. I never really got the threads overall opinion of it.

I remember being hyped for PO3 and disappointed when it came out, though I don’t recall why.

Did it just not have much differentiating it from other kitchen sink packs? PO2 quest book was forward thinking at the time, but now every pack has that.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

McFrugal posted:

Okay, trying to make a basic filter with Integrated Dynamics. It LOOKS like in order to do this, I need to make an inventory reader, point it at a chest containing the item or items I need to filter for, connect it to a cable(preferably connected to the cable network where I'm filtering items), right-click it to open the GUI, put a Variable Card in the list slot to retrieve the list of items, then take the card out and put it in an importer or exporter. Also, I can't loving remove the Inventory Reader from the cable where I want to do my filtering, because it complains about a missing Part ID if I do that. WHY? It doesn't even have to be pointed at anything!
edit: oh god I need to leave the chest there, because the card doesn't store the information, it's just a pointer.

Is there any way to actually store the information? If your filter needs to have expensive items on it this isn't a good solution.

Either put the card into a Materializer hooked up to the network ("de-referencing" the pointer) or use a Logic Programmer to just hardcode a list of items directly (choose "List" from the left, add a bunch of Item elements with your items in them, then pop in a blank card in the bottom slot).

ID is kind of unintuitive to start out with but the more I've used it the more it's grown on me, it's really powerful if you need something really specific.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Devor posted:

I remember being hyped for PO3 and disappointed when it came out, though I don’t recall why.

Did it just not have much differentiating it from other kitchen sink packs? PO2 quest book was forward thinking at the time, but now every pack has that.

It was literally more of the same and petered out in that similar fashion with the questline. Fairly okay in guidance at the start but there's a point you can tell the creator stopped caring about putting all the details in place because the rest are roughly slapped in, particularly once you reach the point of most post-scarcity. You have to be really loving motivated to make it into Avaritia and the insane extended crafting poo poo.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 23, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Sage Grimm posted:

It was literally more of the same and petered out in that similar fashion with the questline. Fairly okay in guidance at the start but there's a point you can tell the creator stopped caring about putting all the details in place because the rest are roughly slapped in, particularly once you reach the point of most post-scarcity.
Also Embers was bugged in a few of the first releases, so a bunch of us who played would get to the Embers part of the questline, do everything right, and just wind up sitting there like "...okay whycome my parts don't work in this even though they work in everything else."

Also there was no guidance on Lordcraft either, so you'd be forced to watch a youtube from someone else who'd already done it, but in the first couple weeks surrounding its release there wasn't any youtubers who'd played with Lordcraft; most of them seemed to be also waiting for someone else to post videos to describe what to do.

Also it dropped right after Stoneblock/Stoneblock 2, which was a more interesting style of skyblock that had less bullshit in its endgame.

I got so excited by PO3 when it came out, I built a pretty big early game base and was doing everything with aesthetics in mind, I had a big farm system for a bunch of magical crops, I had a way more involved early game than I usually do in that kinda pack, but between Embers not working and requiring Lordcraft poo poo to make some of the stuff I needed for I think AE2 I just gave up. It's probably better now, but man did its release feel like garbage.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Oh and Lordcraft, even at this current version, sometimes the NPCs refuse to talk with you. Just why hook progression into a buggy mod that hasn't resolved itself since the modpack's inception?

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I fell into the nether, lost my stuff, and just ended up giving up. I don't turn on keepinventory in packs with gravestone mods so it felt like a real gently caress you to lose most of what I had like that.

Between being annoyed at essentially having to restart and being burnt out on skyblocks I never went back to it, or really another skyblocks pack since. I think I messed with sf4 since resource trees seemed neat but I didn't stick with it. I think at this point the genre of "skyblook with quest book" is just really oversaturated and they all blend together.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Tyty posted:

I fell into the nether, lost my stuff, and just ended up giving up. I don't turn on keepinventory in packs with gravestone mods so it felt like a real gently caress you to lose most of what I had like that.
Oh yeah, that too. I'd much rather just die than appear randomly in the nether and have to die. If you don't want me to keep my items when I die, just make me die like regular; don't drop me into the nether for no goddamn reason while including gravestones.

PO2 was so fun, but PO3 just seemed to want to make itself different without giving a reason for the difference. I'd play a skyblock again for sure (I tried out SF4 for a while) but I want a reason and I want it to be specific different mods, not just the same old ones but with a minor layer of abstraction to certain key components.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sage Grimm posted:

It was literally more of the same and petered out in that similar fashion with the questline. Fairly okay in guidance at the start but there's a point you can tell the creator stopped caring about putting all the details in place because the rest are roughly slapped in, particularly once you reach the point of most post-scarcity. You have to be really loving motivated to make it into Avaritia and the insane extended crafting poo poo.
Absolutely agreed. But to the point of skyblocks blending together, didn't PO3 still use Ex Nihilo?
If I never have to sieve gravel for hours, or silkworm a tree exactly once in my entire playthrough, it'll be too soon.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
After exactly two days into Titan, I can say...not too much has changed, but a lot of the odd dev choices I vaguely remember from when the pack released seem to have been changed/removed.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Arkitektbmw posted:

After exactly two days into Titan, I can say...not too much has changed, but a lot of the odd dev choices I vaguely remember from when the pack released seem to have been changed/removed.

Looking at PO3 Titan mode and the big changes I’ve seen are resource based. Tier 3 and higher Mystical Agriculture seeds are now modified to not be something you can instantly do. As well as having the Imaginary Time Block be an extended crafting recipe now.

I’m sure there are other changes, but mostly it looks like you have to actually progress along various mods to actually have infinite resources now. Though the double output furnace option is still an easy way to duplicate ingots that you can turn into dust and smelt back into ingots in a regular furnace.

Vib Rib posted:

Absolutely agreed. But to the point of skyblocks blending together, didn't PO3 still use Ex Nihilo?
If I never have to sieve gravel for hours, or silkworm a tree exactly once in my entire playthrough, it'll be too soon.

Yes PO3 uses Ex Nihilo, so if you’re tired of the sieve loop then you’re not going to be too thrilled here. Skyblock modpacks in general are going to have rather boring or tedious (or both) resource gathering at the start.

I’ve seen an idea presented before where you still have a surface to gather resources from, but where it is dangerous environmentally (e.g. toxic, not dumb mob spawn rates turned to 11). Though I feel like a major issue just that we’ve just been playing modded Minecraft for too long now for it to really be able to keep our attention.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 24, 2019

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Ah, I see Forbidden & Arcanus is one of those mods that has absolutely no documentation anywhere.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Man, I can't get into Immersive Engineering whatsoever. I don't find 1800s era electrical technology interesting at all, but the rest of Automaton is locked behind it. :(

I'm gonna try Life in the Woods, but I heard Millenaire is janky as gently caress. Is that still the case?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

Man, I can't get into Immersive Engineering whatsoever. I don't find 1800s era electrical technology interesting at all, but the rest of Automaton is locked behind it. :(

I'm gonna try Life in the Woods, but I heard Millenaire is janky as gently caress. Is that still the case?

Life in the Woods is a 1.7.10 pack that has never been updated, so...yes.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Am I missing something or does Volcano Block have only two autocrafting methods- the crafty crate and the structured crafter? Neither of them are particularly easy to use.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

McFrugal posted:

Am I missing something or does Volcano Block have only two autocrafting methods- the crafty crate and the structured crafter? Neither of them are particularly easy to use.

Neither are terrible but a little annoying in their own way. Crafty crate didn't work on a few of the things I tried to use it for so I ended up having to use both. Crafty crate drops stuff into the world and the structured crafter has to have it's 9x9 craft area clear of other things or it stops.
On the plus side neither require power and the crafty crate is fast. I used it to craft the lava buckets and water bits for the automation challenges and wheat and melon seeds for automating primordium.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Depends posted:

Neither are terrible but a little annoying in their own way. Crafty crate didn't work on a few of the things I tried to use it for so I ended up having to use both. Crafty crate drops stuff into the world and the structured crafter has to have it's 9x9 craft area clear of other things or it stops.
On the plus side neither require power and the crafty crate is fast. I used it to craft the lava buckets and water bits for the automation challenges and wheat and melon seeds for automating primordium.

How did you run a melon farm? The golems won't harvest melons or pumpkins or sugarcane.
(also it's weird that you had more wheat than wheat seeds)

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

McFrugal posted:

How did you run a melon farm? The golems won't harvest melons or pumpkins or sugarcane.
(also it's weird that you had more wheat than wheat seeds)

You get melons from normies. One small advanced greenhouse from calculator grew crops fast enough to keep up with a constantly running primordialis reactor even with half the melon and wheat being turned into seeds to fill out the 9 needed crops. The other seed used was the prunae seeds from another small greenhouse making coal dust to feed to the endoflames or be used for random furnace fuel.

You can make an easy melon/pumpkin or tree farm with a hearth well grit vase. Stick it next to your farm and hit it with mysterious fertilizer a couple times to grow the tree. If you put a filter tray on to side of it with a whitelist it'll break anything in the filter and drop it out the bottom of the vase. I think I saw in the patch notes he added some earlier quests to guide people to use them because not enough people had noticed they existed.
You could possibly do it with sugar cane too although we just used a vanilla automatic sugar cane farm for what little we needed. Then later to get sugar for the automation challenge I just broke down beets with alchemistry.

That hearth well multi-block smelter is pretty good too, for the cost of a bucket of water it'll quickly smelt a whole stack of cobble into stone which was nice when making walls. I didn't ever figure out how to auto place new water in though, had to do it manually.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Depends posted:

That hearth well multi-block smelter is pretty good too, for the cost of a bucket of water it'll quickly smelt a whole stack of cobble into stone which was nice when making walls. I didn't ever figure out how to auto place new water in though, had to do it manually.
If you have a Flopper (Volcano Block does) you can solve this easily by just making an infinite pool of water up 2 blocks above the thing, with floppers in the layer in between, pointing down. If any water below gets used up, they'll replenish it from above, and the upper reservoir can be larger and thus built in a way that's infinite no matter which of those blocks get used up (e.g. a three block wide pool instead of just one).

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Vib Rib posted:

If you have a Flopper (Volcano Block does) you can solve this easily by just making an infinite pool of water up 2 blocks above the thing, with floppers in the layer in between, pointing down. If any water below gets used up, they'll replenish it from above, and the upper reservoir can be larger and thus built in a way that's infinite no matter which of those blocks get used up (e.g. a three block wide pool instead of just one).

I tried to set it up with world fluid exporters from ID but the the way it pulls the water it doesn't update or something and didn't place water there. Never tried floppers because I didn't realize until really late in the pack that they'd dump fluid into the world.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I'm having a lot of trouble with Integrated Dynamics. People have said it has a programming language but I'm seeing no such thing. Instead I have to deal with these clunky variable cards that work like variables in a programming language. Like, for instance I'm trying to get a network to only pull out items when it has enough to fill a recipe. In order to do that, you'd think you could just plug in a variable card that contains the list of items and have the importer grab items only when that list is completely satisfied, but the importer field for item list that just pulls any matching items from that list instead of requiring the whole list. I thought maybe I could use the item list predicate slot, but I don't even know how to create an Operator type variable-- nothing in the Logic Programmer seems capable of it.

What I'm trying to do is set up something to autocraft TNT(the hard part), and then drop it(easy, use hourglass) to power an Entropinnyum. That seems like the best generating flower if you only have one of them.
Maybe I should give up and just get some diamond trees to make infinite diamonds so I can make infinite endoflames.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 26, 2019

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Patware posted:

I'm getting the feeling Ice and Fire is a really bad mod

It caused a lot of crashes and fuckups and lag in the multiplayer modpacks a friend of mine is always curating and hosting for us, so we eventually gave it the axe. Hating that mod as much as we did made it feel very satisfying to briefly take revenge on the dragons with TechGuns though.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
...it occurs to me that I could probably set up an incredibly dumb but functional Open Crate autocrafter for TNT since all I really need to do is alternate sand and gunpowder. Half the time it'll be an invalid craft, but I'm scooping up whatever drops out of it anyway.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm playing Sevtech: Ages and the natures compass tells me that the closest darklands is something like 1200 blocks away. Is there anything I can do other than to try and pack up my camp and just haul rear end?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Carcer posted:

I'm playing Sevtech: Ages and the natures compass tells me that the closest darklands is something like 1200 blocks away. Is there anything I can do other than to try and pack up my camp and just haul rear end?

as far as i can tell the closest darklands is always about that distance from spawn

so good luck

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Sevtech has a "heat map" for biome distribution, which means at the start all the cold biomes are north of you and all the hot biomes are south of you. Darklands biome is cold, so you have to go north. The humidity map is east/west.

https://borg286.github.io/sevtech/
Here's a ton of useful info for Sevtech, which includes a link to a very handy chart of the heat/humidity map. I don't know why the first row is bolded.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 26, 2019

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I found some darklands, which fortunately was across a large body of water so the travel was pretty quick.

The new and exciting problem is that I'm having trouble finding a safe place to set up camp, the coasts near the darklands seems to be infested with shoggoth lairs or weird bony structures or black stone henges, one of which I'm camping near now in the hopes it doesn't vomit ghasts at me or something.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

McFrugal posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble with Integrated Dynamics. People have said it has a programming language but I'm seeing no such thing. Instead I have to deal with these clunky variable cards that work like variables in a programming language. Like, for instance I'm trying to get a network to only pull out items when it has enough to fill a recipe. In order to do that, you'd think you could just plug in a variable card that contains the list of items and have the importer grab items only when that list is completely satisfied, but the importer field for item list that just pulls any matching items from that list instead of requiring the whole list. I thought maybe I could use the item list predicate slot, but I don't even know how to create an Operator type variable-- nothing in the Logic Programmer seems capable of it.

What I'm trying to do is set up something to autocraft TNT(the hard part), and then drop it(easy, use hourglass) to power an Entropinnyum. That seems like the best generating flower if you only have one of them.
Maybe I should give up and just get some diamond trees to make infinite diamonds so I can make infinite endoflames.

16 endoflames got us through everything until automation challenge for mana. Even then I think we got halfway to the goal with our massive mana battery of pools that had slowly been filling while we played.
Switched over to 10 gourmaryllis for the rest and my friend just automated that with vanilla. Fed them waffles and fiddledew fruit which both make a good amount of mana.

I never really figured out how to use ID for inserting a complete recipe (primordioum) and not overflowing with a single item now and then.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Any issues with Sevtech: Ages 3.1.2 Hotfix 1?

I was going to setup a fresh server with it.

EDIT: For whatever reason I couldn't even get it setup fresh, but was able to upgrade from 3.0.8 --> 3.1.2 just fine? Weird.

DontMindMe fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 27, 2019

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Is there a dimension/biome mod where I can restrict the maximum generation size of a dimension? I'm looking to do something like make a dimension that is a 64 by 64 chunks biome that is generated normally but just goes to an abrupt void beyond that point (much like when you get server chunk loading lag when moving to fast for it to keep up).

E: I know there is /worldborder but I'm basically looking for that where chunks/blocks outside of that aren't loaded at all. Maybe something like pregenerating a map and putting it in a void world would work fairly easy, but something that could work with a dimension creation mod like Mystcraft would be nicer.

Spectral Werewolf fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 27, 2019

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Depends posted:

16 endoflames got us through everything until automation challenge for mana. Even then I think we got halfway to the goal with our massive mana battery of pools that had slowly been filling while we played.
Switched over to 10 gourmaryllis for the rest and my friend just automated that with vanilla. Fed them waffles and fiddledew fruit which both make a good amount of mana.

I never really figured out how to use ID for inserting a complete recipe (primordioum) and not overflowing with a single item now and then.

How did you feed the endoflames?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Carcer posted:

Make a road there, you might be back a few times.
Or get a horse.