Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

drat I'm jealous. Let us know how it compares to MNSSHP.

Just got back. Gonna try to sum it up jet lagged as hell. Left for Boston at 3am, landed LAX at 11am local and went right to it.

Keep in mind, today was also the first time I have ever stepped foot in either West Coast park, so not only was Oogie Boogie new to me, but the entire park was. I've attended MNSSHP 4 times over the years at MK.

OBB is AMAZING if you want to crush rides, or meet insanely rare characters. Shan Yu was out, Frollo was out, Rescue Rangers, Talespin, even Kingdom Hearts characters. It was wild.

The treat stations blow away MK and it's not even close. As most of you know, a bunch of them have dedicated actors that interact with the crowd like Dr. Facilier and Oogie Boogie. They were incredible, and what was neat was you had to keep moving so it was just sort of this weird bonus thing that felt influenced by HHN. There's tons of other treat stations and every one has fantastic mood lighting off the beaten path. Each station has probably ten treat kiosks even though a bunch gave out apples or carrots. California.txt.

Keep in mind I'm not a huge parade guy, but the route is long, and you'll be able to see it almost everywhere even if you're walking along. Like all parties, it comes down to your top priorities. The World of Color show for the party was pretty meh on YouTube so I didn't bother and that seems to be the general consensus. It sucked up enormous amounts of people, hence the rides.

I walked on Mission Breakout After Dark. Straight up 13 minute wait. I'm sorry, but that ride blows away ToT. Then we made it over to Springs Racers which was a freaking 10 minute wait. Also a phenomenal ride. Combine this with the amazing theming of Cars Land for Halloween and it really brings up the value.

Then there's the Villains Grove, which is an overlay of Redwook Creek Challenge Trail. This was loving amazing, and a photographer's dream. It's just so weird and unique. My protip would be to do this during the parade because when I first went it had about a 45 minute wait, but when I went back during the parade I walked right in.

This party also felt like way, way more people got into it. Full blown costumes from groups of ten and stuff. Not saying MK doesn't have it, but it was next level. It seemed more lax on the rules of what you can do for costuming.

Something else that us adults shouldn't overlook is that DCA serves booze, so there was party exclusive drinks. Most were expensive, but it was cool to see a lot of people walking around with booze at a Disney Halloween party. I got a caramel vodka and hard apple cider drink which seemed to be popular. Not too bad, but enough to feel a buzz.

Overall, I think I have to give it to OBB. The treat stuff is smart and interactive in a way Disney needs to push more for parties, there's booze, there's IMO better rides overall for that kind of ticketed party, and it was just a lot more chill. It never felt packed despite being sold out and MK often does even when it's not sold out. However, MNSSHP absolutely destroys in terms of the stage show and finale fireworks etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
...why can’t I use my Visa for buying DisneySea tickets? I called my bank to authorize it and it’s still giving me an error.

Anyone know if buying these tickets counts as a foreign transaction? There’s a 3% charge for those which is why I’m hesitating using my Mastercard.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nanigans posted:

...why can’t I use my Visa for buying DisneySea tickets? I called my bank to authorize it and it’s still giving me an error.

Anyone know if buying these tickets counts as a foreign transaction? There’s a 3% charge for those which is why I’m hesitating using my Mastercard.

maybe they banned assholes

would explain why I can't buy either

I bet that lady can buy all the disneysea tickets she wants

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Nanigans posted:

As a guess, it does count as a foreign transaction. When I bought tickets for Universal Studios Osaka in July, I literally had to do it on the phone with my card’s representative. The first call to pre-authorize the transaction didn’t work. Neither did the second.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Hey, is anyone visiting Epcot soon and willing to help me acquire merch?

Specifically, I'm trying to get one of the Sleeping Figment plushes for my one-year old daughter.

I'm literally about to disembark on the Disney Dream as I'm typing this, so if you're willing/able to help, send me an email to: doronin@gmail.com

I'll pay shipping obviously and throw in a decent markup. :)

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Nanigans posted:

I actually had an issue paying off the rest of my WDW reservation with a Visa last night. It was a very unspecific "We had trouble processing this card. Please use another" error. We thought it might be our bank thinking it was a suspicious purchase since we bought our plane tickets a few mins before. Not sure if thats the same error you're getting or not and I haven't seen complaints anywhere else.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I did the thing, and it ruled

Currently at the cantina

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Currently en route to Disney Springs to spend our honeymoon until next Sunday and to really flex our APs. :toot:

We really want to take our time and enjoy stuff we haven’t done before. Trader Sams is on our list. We’ve done pretty much everything the parks have to offer and we have Keys to the Kingdom scheduled for next Saturday. Any other lesser-known experiences we should check out?

Doronin posted:

Hey, is anyone visiting Epcot soon and willing to help me acquire merch?

Specifically, I'm trying to get one of the Sleeping Figment plushes for my one-year old daughter.

I'm literally about to disembark on the Disney Dream as I'm typing this, so if you're willing/able to help, send me an email to: doronin@gmail.com

I'll pay shipping obviously and throw in a decent markup. :)

I’ll hit you up. Check your spam folder.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Hazo posted:

Currently en route to Disney Springs to spend our honeymoon until next Sunday and to really flex our APs. :toot:

We really want to take our time and enjoy stuff we haven’t done before. Trader Sams is on our list. We’ve done pretty much everything the parks have to offer and we have Keys to the Kingdom scheduled for next Saturday. Any other lesser-known experiences we should check out?

I’ll hit you up. Check your spam folder.

Jellyrolls is a good time if you've never hit that up. Definitely aim for a weekend but don't expect a seat, do expect a cover.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
If you like Epcot's best ride aka Living With the Land, the Behind the Seeds tour is very fun, cheap and runs multiple times daily.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Had to call Visa Concierge. It’s an issue with Japan only accepting Mastercard for whatever reason. I have the Amazon Prime card so it even saved me the 3% foreign transaction fee.

DisneySea, here I come!

And apparently they have some really cool Halloween stuff going on too! :spooky:

Tim Whatley posted:

I did the thing, and it ruled

Currently at the cantina

That looks so loving cool. Do they sell nice stands for displaying the sabers?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

effervescible posted:

If you like Epcot's best ride aka Living With the Land, the Behind the Seeds tour is very fun, cheap and runs multiple times daily.

I 2nd this. Behind the Seeds is cheap and fun, and you get to feed the fish! Just hope you don’t get an annoying know-it-all in your tour group like we did...

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Nanigans posted:

That looks so loving cool. Do they sell nice stands for displaying the sabers?

Yup! Nice and metal and sleek looking too. It's $25. I went blue in the build, but I also bought a purple, white, and yellow kyber crystal because I'm a giant moron!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Tim Whatley posted:

Yup! Nice and metal and sleek looking too. It's $25. I went blue in the build, but I also bought a purple, white, and yellow kyber crystal because I'm a giant moron!

Awesome. I’m gonna go green in the build but buy a red one too. :D

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I’ve never seen it posted about in this thread, but the Hog in a Box at Cooke’s of Dublin in Disney Springs is unbelievable. If you like pulled pork, or really any pork or savory foods, you have to get it.

Tim Whatley posted:

Who, I didn’t see the display stands last time. I’ll be checking that out. Dok Ondar’s right?

Also remember future builders: unless they change something, the only crystals you can build with are red, green, blue, and purple, because the host names famous Jedi/Sith who used each color. So white and yellow can only be bought in the shop. Plan accordingly.

effervescible posted:

You piqued my interest with the correct opinion that the banana boats are the best thing in Epcot, then I was sold upon hearing you get to feed the fish :neckbeard: We’re totally doing Behind the Seeds on Thursday.

Any other neat secret or off-park stuff to explore?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Dok Ondars, yeah.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I am currently on the skyliner going from DHS to Caribbean Beach. They’re nice and cool inside and move pretty quick!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Cais posted:

I am currently on the skyliner going from DHS to Caribbean Beach. They’re nice and cool inside and move pretty quick!

I saw some videos yesterday on YouTube and it looks like the airflow through the cabin is pretty good. Peoples hair was blowing in the wind. So many people were bitching about them not being air conditioned, and I didn't think it was really going to be an issue. It's better than standing in the sun for 20 minutes waiting on a bus (and then the bus being standing room only, or have some persons sweaty rear end in your face for the next 15 minutes), or walking from Beach Club to HS in the heat. Some of the trips are really fast as well. I timed some of the shorter segments at less than 3 minutes.

Granted yesterday morning it was like 70 degrees in Orlando. I'm not claiming they'll be comfortable in July 95 degree weather, but compared to the alternatives they're not too bad.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/09/...-person-search/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I can’t believe that wasn’t a Florida man story

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Lol if you think Florida Man can afford acid instead of meth

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

rip muppets probably

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/09/mickey-shorts-theater-coming-to-disneys-hollywood-studios/?CMP=SOC-DPFY19Q4wo0919190029A

Some people are saying path of the jedi but I think that's hopeful thoughts

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It would take a lot more effort to retheme Muppet theater for this vs just redoing path of the Jedi.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

It would take a lot more effort to retheme Muppet theater for this vs just redoing path of the Jedi.

I dunno why I keep thinking it's in the launch bay but yeah, I agree with that. I think people are so nervous about it being muppets because they usually say where and this doesn't.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It also might be because great moments in history just getting cut is fresh in minds. Trust me, I'll be one of the first people to look into ways to chain myself to Muppet theater before this happens, but this sort of thing definitely screams Path of the Jedi or even the Walt Disney Presents theater, both of which are a lot closer to the chinese theater and more flexible than Muppet courtyard which is a bit off the beaten path.

Then again, disney is known to make dumb and disappointing decisions, so who knows.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It has been confirmed as Path of the Jedi (formerly Sounds Dangerous) https://www.wdwmagic.com/attraction...spring-2020.htm

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Smugglers Run is well themed but it definitely sucks unless you're pilot. The lines at DL are pretty long and first time I got engineer, second time I tried to plan it to get pilot but they dump you in a giant room where it doesn't matter the line sequence, so the people behind me ended up getting pilot and that really sucks. They need to just make a pilot line or something. It's still awesome but it's definitely the River Journey to the Flight of Passage.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Tim Whatley posted:

Smugglers Run is well themed but it definitely sucks unless you're pilot. The lines at DL are pretty long and first time I got engineer, second time I tried to plan it to get pilot but they dump you in a giant room where it doesn't matter the line sequence, so the people behind me ended up getting pilot and that really sucks. They need to just make a pilot line or something. It's still awesome but it's definitely the River Journey to the Flight of Passage.

Do they not hand out the role cards before the hold room in DL or am I not understanding you?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zero One posted:

Do they not hand out the role cards before the hold room in DL or am I not understanding you?

They do. They’re handed out in a specific order per group of 6 (pilot, gunner, engineer) and then it’s up to the group to negotiate role switches. If you go with 5 friends you can plan ahead of time who gets what.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I got to do pilot through single rider last week because they weren't calling colors out loud enough in the Falcon area. Was cool to see poo poo up close, but I like the frantic button slamming* that engineer has.

*There's a sex joke there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The non-pilot roles are still a better ride than Star Tours (which I always loved too), but the pilot roles being so much better hurts them in comparison I think.

I still think a lot of people are going to dislike Rise because it seems like more an experience than thrill ride, and all the spectacle in the world won't fill that type of experience gap some people want. They should really just retheme Rock n' Roller Coaster to Star Wars already a la Hyper Space Mountain :hellyeah:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

The non-pilot roles are still a better ride than Star Tours

IF I'M TALKING ABOUT ART STAR TOURS, I'M PROBABLY WRONG :aaa:

quote:

They should really just retheme Rock n' Roller Coaster to Star Wars already a la Hyper Space Mountain :hellyeah:

You leave my door coaster alone :colbert:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Zero One posted:

It has been confirmed as Path of the Jedi (formerly Sounds Dangerous) https://www.wdwmagic.com/attraction...spring-2020.htm

Sounds Dangerous was fun, I miss it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here's a neat video on the aspect of failure in Galaxy's Edge interactive designs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmOqa-t2ZHk&t=29s

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The right pilot was some of the most fun I’ve had on a ride, but the others don’t seem quite as enjoyable. I’ll admit though, pulling back the level to activate the hyperdrive was sick.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

VaultAggie posted:

The right pilot was some of the most fun I’ve had on a ride, but the others don’t seem quite as enjoyable. I’ll admit though, pulling back the level to activate the hyperdrive was sick.

It was! I got right pilot when I was riding alone (I asked the first person I saw at load if I could be a pilot, and they said yes) and it ruled. (Yes, even though the movies clearly show that the lever for lightspeed is the square black one, not the long silver ones, it still ruled.)

Tim - that's a great picture from Savi's! Wish I'd thought of that shot. I still owe the thread trip reports from this summer. I have the WDW one written up, but I still need to make Imgur albums for them.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/Market/status/1176525318913515520?s=17

They're also plugging SWGE on their prime time sitcoms. Even the 1980s set Goldbergs where the family goes to Disneyland to ride Star Tours and the kid says "A single ride is OK but a full blown Star Wars land would be a crazy dream".

Zero One fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 26, 2019

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Really is just like the Eisner years again ain't it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Behind the Seeds was delightful. I got to try Mickey-shaped cucumbers and feed the tilapia :neckbeard:

Thank you guys for the suggestion!

Cais posted:

Are they letting people ride? I thought they didn’t open until Sept 29. If it’s open I’m definitely hopping on tomorrow from HS to Epcot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cast previews were this week. They were doing that and NBA Experience previews for people that wanted them lol.

no, no I'm not bitter about Disney Quest being taken away...