Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

My understanding was that bi is basically about fancying both cis men and women and pan is that you dont care about gender identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Basically any time there's a weird pedantic argument about a term in LGBTQ circles it's TERFs trying to start poo poo. The most obvious and annoyingly persistent example of this being "queer is a slur" bullshit that got started when trans people started really getting behind the word as an inclusive umbrella term.

Namtab posted:

My understanding was that bi is basically about fancying both cis men and women and pan is that you dont care about gender identity.
Really it's just a question of which term you prefer in that case, since I see the 2 terms used pretty much interchangeably. The idea that bisexual is a trans exclusionary term is some almighty bullshit.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 23, 2019

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Ehhh, given that the other day saw the streets overrun with angry gen z cannibals I really don't get the dislike for student politics. If more people were politically active as students that would be a good thing, and politics is relative to one's environment, so it's going to heavily feature stuff that isn't relevant to the outside world. But it's good practice, I think.

Cannibals!?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am firmly of the belief that gen z will eat us all and I welcome it.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

There was a line in that post about it costing billions to transform private to state schools. Would it not be more useful to think in terms of percentages?

The 1825 independent schools listed on the dfe site pales in comparison for the 21402 academies and local authority maintained schools. Taking on those schools - even without consolidation / integration of schools - would only affect the education budget by a few percent.

(Of course the money being spent isn't ethered so it's kind of moot anyway).

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I am firmly of the belief that gen z will eat us all and I welcome it.

As long as i can claim all the people who attended private school its fine

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

Ehhh, given that the other day saw the streets overrun with angry gen z cannibals I really don't get the dislike for student politics. If more people were politically active as students that would be a good thing, and politics is relative to one's environment, so it's going to heavily feature stuff that isn't relevant to the outside world. But it's good practice, I think.

Yeah but there's student politics and then there's Student Politics and they are not the same thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd suggest there's probably a fair bit of crossover.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah, but she was into Student Politics. Y'know, the sort of careerist bollocks that appealed to the likes of Wes Streeting. It's not a "grumble grumble young people" thing, I promise.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
a great many people have a prickly emotional attachment to their schools and declaring war on them, any of them, is difficult

this lesson was why the UK came to have the outcome it has today of the mixed system in the wake of the collapse of the tripartite education consensus - once the big victories were won, the cleanup just was not worth the political effort

whilst the costs are large, the benefits measured in egalitarianisms thus achieved are questionable - one has the problem, the very obvious problem, of the quality of good comprehensive schools translating directly into local house prices. What one does not pay in fees is thus paid in one's mortgage

if there is a hope for Labour in this gambit, it is in hoping that the argument over grammars and selection is passé, and can instead now be fought in terms of privilege and the private schools, at least as far as that electoral prize of the squeezed middle go (those on the left may be taken for granted to oppose both). There is some longstanding focus grouping that underpins this; there are simply too few grammars now and for a great many in the middle, their choice may be between a state and a private, and the fees may now be just too damned high to tolerate

of course this is the same focus grouping that told the Tories that victory lay in opening more grammars. It is treacherous territory.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

student politics gets you me, who was vaguely interested in movements on campus

Student Politics gets you the English guy standing as a Lib Dem candidate on the southside of Glasgow because he was studying politics at Glasgow.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ronya posted:

a great many people have a prickly emotional attachment to their schools and declaring war on them, any of them, is difficult

this lesson was why the UK came to have the outcome it has today of the mixed system in the wake of the collapse of the tripartite education consensus

whilst the costs are large, the benefits measured in egalitarianisms thus achieved are questionable - one has the problem, the very obvious problem, of the quality of good comprehensive schools translating directly into local house prices. What one does not pay in fees is thus paid in one's mortgage

if there is a hope for Labour in this gambit, it is in hoping that the argument over grammars and selection is passé, and can instead now be fought in terms of privilege and the private schools, at least as far as that electoral prize of the squeezed middle go (those on the left may be taken for granted to oppose both). There is some longstanding focus grouping that underpins this; there are simply too few grammars now and for a great many in the middle, their choice may be between a state and a private, and the fees may now be just too damned high to tolerate

of course this is the same focus grouping that told the Tories that victory lay in opening more grammars. It is treacherous territory.

Or just...do what's right and don't loving hire focus groups because it's not 1998 any more.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

I was wondering a bit about that too, I understood bisexual to be what is apparently now pansexuality?

I mean pansexual makes sense cos if I don't believe in binary gender then it seems like a better word, but I had hitherto thought pansexuality was like, being attracted to rocks or something.

The terms seem to have moved while I wasn't looking.

As I understand it, the historical origins of the term in the 70s and 80s were explicitly inclusive of non-binary people, and specifically icnlusive of trans people as the gender they are rather than as a separate category. More recent discourse has removed the former element (i.e. making bisexuality about specifically men and women) and/or done the very TERF-y thing of making a specific point about attraction to trans people, neither of which is reflected in the original definition.

I've also seen distinctions between pansexuality and bisexuality which are about body versus soul (attracted to the gender/attracted to the person, or similar).

I think the best expression I've seen of my opinion is that pansexual, bisexual, polysexual, and various other forms of 'attracted to anyone' sexualities all have broadly the same meaning, but the distinctions are important to people, so they're valid and acceptable.

I go with bisexual on this basis simply because it's a more generally understood term.

I've only been out for a very short time but I've been doing a lot of learning over the past few years.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Libearian posted:

The guy who claimed opposing slum lords was exactly like being a rapist also tried the "apart from this one issue I agree with most of you on most issues" gambit, you do have to wonder when it's the thing where people genuinely believe it because they haven't really thought through what left wing beliefs actually are beyond being in opposition to open right wingers who they view as uncouth and when it's the smooth brained right winger trick that all the tedious fash youtubers try where they claim to be "on the left"
It's because end of history liberalism has said that 'the left' is opposing racism (which means saying the bad words) and supporting (liberal) feminism and supporting LGBTQ+ rights even if you don't know what most of the letters stand for (but it's like I don't mind what they do their own bedrooms right) and being really big on equality of opportunity (which means that a fee-paying school can charge £40k a year but they can't say "no Blacks or Irish") and I smoked pot in uni but I wouldn't now (but harder drugs scare me so they have to be kept fully illegal to stop people using them). That sort of thing.

You can agree with all that and still have fundamentally anti-left thoughts about property and access to services.

OwlFancier posted:

I was wondering a bit about that too, I understood bisexual to be what is apparently now pansexuality?

I mean pansexual makes sense cos if I don't believe in binary gender then it seems like a better word, but I had hitherto thought pansexuality was like, being attracted to rocks or something.

The terms seem to have moved while I wasn't looking.
My understanding is that originally bi meant attracted to both men and women when society, including gay culture, only recognized the binary. You see it even in Radical Gay Lib texts that don't approve of the sexuality binary, like a common Radical take on "why are some people gay?" rejects appeals to nature or genetics or what have you and goes for "because everyone used to be all over the scale, then the straights came along and ruined it by saying everyone had to be straight or suffer, so of course in Marxist theory that creates a reaction and some people will say 'gently caress that' and identify as gay and group together for protection from the straights."

So there, by straight society forcing a binary and thus creating the 'gay scene' as reaction, there's a third category of people who are both sides of that binary, experiencing relationships in both the 'straight' group and the 'gay' group, even though the binary is just a social construct.

Then trans theory started getting taken a lot more seriously and people rejected gender binary as well as sexuality binary and some said that bi wasn't descriptive enough to cover that according to some, so pansexual exists to be trans/cis and NB inclusive.

Then some other people said that bi works fine on a false binary like gay/straight so why can't it work on a false binary like male/female masc/femme too?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

mehall posted:

student politics gets you me, who was vaguely interested in movements on campus

Student Politics gets you the English guy standing as a Lib Dem candidate on the southside of Glasgow because he was studying politics at Glasgow.

I went to uni with one of the guys who stood for UKIP in Edinburgh lol

he was a dumb rear end in a top hat

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Can't wait to see how the press tries to spin this https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1176116318820610048

I think it'll play out well for Corbyn though if they have the guts to show it on TV.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

forkboy84 posted:

Or just...do what's right and don't loving hire focus groups because it's not 1998 any more.

the Corbyn machine is intensely focus grouping to hell and back, you may be sure of it

it's not that focus groups tell you the truth about what people will support, necessarily, but rather that any contact at all with reality in politics is a rare and precious thing. It is just too easy to be trapped in a bubble of groupthink

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If only we could have the sensible triangulation of
t h e p o l i t i c a l c e n t r e

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

i've been waiting here since ten o'clock.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

FWIW I have actually only ever personally met one person who went to Eton

Same (well after uni anyway) but he is Extremely Lib Dem (and knows TinTower oddly enough)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

As I understand it, the historical origins of the term in the 70s and 80s were explicitly inclusive of non-binary people, and specifically icnlusive of trans people as the gender they are rather than as a separate category. More recent discourse has removed the former element (i.e. making bisexuality about specifically men and women) and/or done the very TERF-y thing of making a specific point about attraction to trans people, neither of which is reflected in the original definition.

I've also seen distinctions between pansexuality and bisexuality which are about body versus soul (attracted to the gender/attracted to the person, or similar).

I think the best expression I've seen of my opinion is that pansexual, bisexual, polysexual, and various other forms of 'attracted to anyone' sexualities all have broadly the same meaning, but the distinctions are important to people, so they're valid and acceptable.

I go with bisexual on this basis simply because it's a more generally understood term.

I've only been out for a very short time but I've been doing a lot of learning over the past few years.

Guavanaut posted:

My understanding is that originally bi meant attracted to both men and women when society, including gay culture, only recognized the binary. You see it even in Radical Gay Lib texts that don't approve of the sexuality binary, like a common Radical take on "why are some people gay?" rejects appeals to nature or genetics or what have you and goes for "because everyone used to be all over the scale, then the straights came along and ruined it by saying everyone had to be straight or suffer, so of course in Marxist theory that creates a reaction and some people will say 'gently caress that' and identify as gay and group together for protection from the straights."

So there, by straight society forcing a binary and thus creating the 'gay scene' as reaction, there's a third category of people who are both sides of that binary, experiencing relationships in both the 'straight' group and the 'gay' group, even though the binary is just a social construct.

Then trans theory started getting taken a lot more seriously and people rejected gender binary as well as sexuality binary and some said that bi wasn't descriptive enough to cover that according to some, so pansexual exists to be trans/cis and NB inclusive.

Then some other people said that bi works fine on a false binary like gay/straight so why can't it work on a false binary like male/female masc/femme too?

I think I might use pan more often then cos it's probably more accurate, given I do generally feel more comfortable around more femme presenting people but I don't particularly care about the technicalities.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Verizian posted:

Can't wait to see how the press tries to spin this https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1176116318820610048

I think it'll play out well for Corbyn though if they have the guts to show it on TV.

CRAZY CORBYN LOSES IT, DECLARES FATWA ON MEDIA

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
e: ^ or that

Verizian posted:

lol it's gonna be "Corbyn makes scathing attack on honest journos no we won't show you the video or tell you what he actually said"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

thespaceinvader posted:

Welcome to the club, friend! We have glitter :D

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rarity posted:

I hope it's biodegradable glitter

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
it has to be said that the private school motion completely pushed the Ofsted pledge out of view, which is... weird, as policy pushes go. It is possible that the shad cab did not anticipate the motion suddenly looming out of the fog, or the left hand (heh) was simply not talking to the right

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Went to a state run primary, did the living hand to mouth thing when my mum and dad split up and mum was living in a tiny bedsit in Acton, and eventually attended a private secondary in Hammersmith that my mum and stepdad spent most of their non-rent income on.

I loathed secondary school with every fibre of my being, and spent every lunchtime in the library, reading; this helped come university entrance time but was a loving awful way to live for seven years. University was SOAS, which at the time was so left wing it was almost round the other end of the horseshoe (IIRC we had an actively pro-Al-Qaeda student union during 9/11), and I ended up making a career in China among people who neither knew nor cared what some little country in NW Europe thought was a prestigious school.

Weirdly I may come back to the UK working for a Chinese company, which if he’s still alive might amuse my history teacher (who used to mock me in class for studying Chinese and suggested I might come back in a gunboat to shell the Houses of Parliament so we would all have to buy opioids).

Honestly wouldn’t ever put anyone through what I went through - my kids attend a state school in Hong Kong, largely because their mother was state educated in Malaysia and did fine. They’re doing great.

In general I support abolishing private schools. However, what sucked about the state schools was not handling bright or difficult kids well. I was initially diagnosed with learning difficulties because I didn’t concentrate in class and the wider reading I did off-curriculum wasn’t something my teachers were interested in; it wasn’t until I went to secondary that it turned out I was in the top 1-2% academically when I wasn’t deadly bored all the time. The state schools, in my area at least, were not only not set up to recognise that, I remember teachers actively discouraging reading ahead or around the topic.

So from a practical perspective, I’d like to see some more streaming or another way for nonstandard kids to be nurtured to their potential in some future state-only future. Maybe competitive exams like China, if you can (a) keep them clean; and (b) make sure that kids who aren’t academic still have good life outcomes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Rarity posted:

I already got the haircut and leather (well, pleather, the actual leather on I found in the charity shop has very big shoulders) jacket, I'm nothing if not a walking stereotype.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I went to an English private school in Kenya because I'm white... Does that make me a bad person?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I think I might use pan more often then cos it's probably more accurate, given I do generally feel more comfortable around more femme presenting people but I don't particularly care about the technicalities.
I like the "neither gay nor straight" one that apparently over half of gen-z is.

It's a bit longer and phrased negatively, but by excluding yourself from two defined groups you're not excluding anyone else.

I also think that bi (as in attracted to genders like mine and genders different from mine) and pan and all the rest are fine as long as you're understood by the person you're communicating with and aren't being a big TERF.

I'm not even sure how you could be bi (in any definition) and a TERF anyway, but I'm sure they've found some convoluted way to manage.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Weirdly I may come back to the UK working for a Chinese company, which if he’s still alive might amuse my history teacher (who used to mock me in class for studying Chinese and suggested I might come back in a gunboat to shell the Houses of Parliament so we would all have to buy opioids).
I support most of this.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Went to a state run primary, did the living hand to mouth thing when my mum and dad split up and mum was living in a tiny bedsit in Acton, and eventually attended a private secondary in Hammersmith that my mum and stepdad spent most of their non-rent income on.

I loathed secondary school with every fibre of my being, and spent every lunchtime in the library, reading; this helped come university entrance time but was a loving awful way to live for seven years. University was SOAS, which at the time was so left wing it was almost round the other end of the horseshoe (IIRC we had an actively pro-Al-Qaeda student union during 9/11), and I ended up making a career in China among people who neither knew nor cared what some little country in NW Europe thought was a prestigious school.

Honestly wouldn’t ever put anyone through what I went through - my kids attend a state school in Hong Kong, largely because their mother was state educated in Malaysia and did fine. They’re doing great.

In general I support abolishing private schools. However, what sucked about the state schools was not handling bright or difficult kids well. I was initially diagnosed with learning difficulties because I didn’t concentrate in class and the wider reading I did off-curriculum wasn’t something my teachers were interested in; it wasn’t until I went to secondary that it turned out I was in the top 1-2% academically when I wasn’t deadly bored all the time. The state schools, in my area at least, were not only not set up to recognise that, I remember teachers actively discouraging reading ahead or around the topic.

So from a practical perspective, I’d like to see some more streaming or another way for nonstandard kids to be nurtured to their potential in some future state-only future. Maybe competitive exams like China, if you can (a) keep them clean; and (b) make sure that kids who aren’t academic still have good life outcomes.

a key difference between state education in Hong Kong and Malaysia, and the UK, indeed being aggressive streaming (or lack thereof)...

I don't know that you will find any support ITT for bringing the 11+ back

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

I went to an English private school in Kenya because I'm white... Does that make me a bad person?

You just admitted to being white so yes.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

forkboy84 posted:

You just admitted to being white so yes.

Bugger

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

That too.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

quote:

Delegates back NEC statement calling for party to postpone decision on who to campaign in referendum.

two more to go

e: motion 13 (the Remain one) has lost by show of hands, graun says. Ouch!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1176000040931909632?s=20

Boris will get his election and Brexit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not sure that being the lapdog of the US oil industry is really an election winning formula against "how about we don't go and get killed for the americans again?"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

ronya posted:

a key difference between state education in Hong Kong and Malaysia, and the UK, indeed being aggressive streaming (or lack thereof)...

I don't know that you will find any support ITT for bringing the 11+ back

I'm not sure that recognising different levels of ability and handling them appropriately == 11+ by default though.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
looking forward to a nice short victorious war to boost the nation's spirits in these trying times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Apropos of nothing, I like this GIF, pronounced GIF btw: