Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yeah, that's what repiv was saying when they posted that they backpedalled. The others are complaining it doesn't apply to just those who bought the app who felt that although they never paid for the web features before felt they should now be entitled to some kind of remuneration somehow.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Nova Launcher isn't compatible with the new gestures in Android 10, FYI. They can't address this until an Android update that gives launchers access to this functionality is released by Google. Even two button navigation is a little bugged.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Montalvo posted:

Nova Launcher isn't compatible with the new gestures in Android 10, FYI. They can't address this until an Android update that gives launchers access to this functionality is released by Google. Even two button navigation is a little bugged.

Yeah, using two button nav and Action Launcher is a bit wonky at times. Has Google said whether or not they plan to make gesture nav available to third party launchers?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

XIII posted:

Yeah, using two button nav and Action Launcher is a bit wonky at times. Has Google said whether or not they plan to make gesture nav available to third party launchers?

I think so -- see here: https://help.teslacoilapps.com/faq/gesture-navigation

google posted:

Custom launchers are another area where we’ve heard feedback and we’re continuing to work on issues, particularly with stability and Recents. Starting in Beta 6, we’ll switch users to 3-button navigation when they are using a custom launcher by default. We’ll address the remaining issues in a post-launch update allowing all users to switch to gestural navigation. Meanwhile, please continue to give us your feedback.

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 20, 2019

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

There are multiple submenus in the system settings that don't honor the dark theme. How are they so bad at this?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure Android 10 has broken my install of Gentle Alarm, which I think was old as dirt anyway. Does anyone have a similar alarm app they like enough to recommend?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
AMdroid

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Time to put this in the thread title.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
What's the use case for a different alarm app?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Moey posted:

The stock Android one is just pretty limited in functionality. You have some interesting things like requiring to solve a puzzle before the alarm goes off and syncing it with calendars

The stock one works for me but I'll admit I consider switching sometimes

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

vyst posted:

requiring to solve a puzzle before the alarm goes off

Dear lord. I don't know if this is brilliant, or if I would put my phone through the window.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Some mornings it's frustrating as gently caress to try and solve even the most simple puzzle, so you are forced to wake up.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Moey posted:

You can tell AMDroid not to go off on certain days, like holidays or vacation days. The downside is it likes to import holidays that almost nobody gets off, like MLK day, so you have to disable those lest you miss an alarm.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

So if I wanted to sync my google drive files locally to my phone instead of just having access to them in the cloud via the Google Drive app, what options are available for that, app wise?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Moey posted:

The thing about alarm apps is that almost everyone has a pet feature. Mine for the longest time was a "pre-alarm", a very soft alarm that goes off a half hour before the actual alarm that you're supposed to wake to if you're in a light sleep but if you're in a deep sleep you'd sleep through it to the actual alarm. It seemed to help me wake up feeling better.

Either way almost everyone has one of these, like the puzzle mentioned above or the calendar sync. Another popular one is the being able to defer the next alarm or change it just for the next instance (so that you don't have to either juggle alarms or remember to reset the recurring one). Some are convenience features, some are tough wake features, some are configuration features, and some are scheduling features but most everyone has that one thing the stock alarm doesn't do.

The great thing is, AMDroid does whatever your pet feature is.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
As a luddite with an alarm clock (who usually wakes up before the alarm, even on weekends): I heard about a Withings smartwatch feature that detects if you are in a light sleep and softly vibrates your wrist to wake you up, letting you sleep a little longer if you are in a deep sleep and that sounds awesome.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Uthor posted:

As a luddite with an alarm clock (who usually wakes up before the alarm, even on weekends): I heard about a Withings smartwatch feature that detects if you are in a light sleep and softly vibrates your wrist to wake you up, letting you sleep a little longer if you are in a deep sleep and that sounds awesome.

I'm not seeing that in my wellness app but i only have a midrange Steel HR (which i love love love). I use a gentle rise alarm (currently TImely but Android 10 broke the gently caress out of it) then have my watch set to vibrate 15 minutes after my regular alarm as a "just in case".

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm not seeing that in my wellness app but i only have a midrange Steel HR (which i love love love). I use a gentle rise alarm (currently TImely but Android 10 broke the gently caress out of it) then have my watch set to vibrate 15 minutes after my regular alarm as a "just in case".

It's something I heard someone else say on a podcast, so you should trust me 100%.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
oh dont you worry, its canon now. :v:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

So if I wanted to sync my google drive files locally to my phone instead of just having access to them in the cloud via the Google Drive app, what options are available for that, app wise?

I can vouch for Autosync for Google Drive, it does exactly what it says on the tin. I used this as photo backup software before Google Photos was a thing.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Google is doing the Apple Arcade thing

https://play.google.com/about/play-pass/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNl21sqNCFs

U.S. only at launch, lol google

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

repiv posted:

Google is doing the Apple Arcade thing

https://play.google.com/about/play-pass/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNl21sqNCFs

U.S. only at launch, lol google

gently caress the USA

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I've been using NetGuard for quite a while, never having any issues, but since I upgraded my Pixel 2XL to Android 10, the adblocking only works when using Wifi.
As soon as I disable Wifi and use 4G, all the ads are shown, both in the few apps where I can't buy no-ads, and in browsers as well.

I'm using the latest version of NetGuard (2.266) and I have tried completely uninstalling/reinstalling it, to make sure it wasn't some fat-finger settings change that did it.

Anyone else seeing this issue?
Did Google change something wrt local VPNs in Android 10?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Google shuts down its hyperlocal news app Bulletin

Google's killing another one of it's app. Although I've never heard of it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Used Android Auto for about seven hours today. Haven't really used it much, lately.

I like the new interface. It's easy to toggle between GPS and audio, plus controlling audio without having to switch from the app.

Using Google Play Music still sucks.

Waze ran into 2-3 bugs and half the time wouldn't resume navigation after a pit stop.

Dunno if it was Waze or Auto, but I had it lock up twice. Not cool.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Uthor posted:

Used Android Auto for about seven hours today. Haven't really used it much, lately.

I like the new interface. It's easy to toggle between GPS and audio, plus controlling audio without having to switch from the app.

Using Google Play Music still sucks.

Waze ran into 2-3 bugs and half the time wouldn't resume navigation after a pit stop.

Dunno if it was Waze or Auto, but I had it lock up twice. Not cool.

What sucks about Google Play Music on Android Auto? I've never used it but I'm researching a future car purchase and have been prioritizing ones with Android Auto.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The biggest thing is always related to how much Google limits your scrolling.

You can pull up your albums, but if the one you want isn't in the first twelve listed, your out of luck.

For some reason, it keeps showing me my now playing playlist from the first item, not the current one, so if I wanna scroll to where I'm actually at, I'm out of luck (especially a problem when shuffling tracks).

I find the voice stuff awkward and unreliable (and having to say "from my library" every time is annoying), but also kind of useless if you can't remember the title of the album you wanna play.

Ionce spent five minutes yelling at it to play an album I had just bought THROUGH GOOGLE PLAY MUSIC before giving up and pulling out my phone to do it manually.

I have much less problems and distraction looking for music manually from mp3s loaded onto my car's proprietary player software.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Uthor posted:

The biggest thing is always related to how much Google limits your scrolling.

This is a limitation baked into Android Auto itself. If your car is not in park, it limits you to 6 taps/levels in any app. This mostly affects music/media apps. So if it takes 3 taps to show your list of songs, then you only get 3 more taps to scroll down a list.

If you have a rooted device, there are ways on some phones to remove the limitation.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't recall running into that with Pocket Casts, but that could just be the limited number of podcasts I have left unplayed at any time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

stevewm posted:

This is a limitation baked into Android Auto itself. If your car is not in park, it limits you to 6 taps/levels in any app. This mostly affects music/media apps. So if it takes 3 taps to show your list of songs, then you only get 3 more taps to scroll down a list.

If you have a rooted device, there are ways on some phones to remove the limitation.

Good, focus on the road.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All I really want out of YouTube music in Android auto is a big button that randomizes (like real random) your library. Mixtape just seems to play the same artists that you recently listened to over and over again. Random seems broken on offline playsets as it only randomizes the list that's loaded so far so you only get random on a handful of songs.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Good, focus on the road.

This isn't what happens, though. Nobody finds out that the album they wanted is not visible on screen and responds by saying, "Oh well, now I will stop trying to play what I want to hear, and turn my attention elsewhere." They keep trying to find a way to get what they want, so they're distracted for a lot longer, and getting angrier.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

This isn't what happens, though. Nobody finds out that the album they wanted is not visible on screen and responds by saying, "Oh well, now I will stop trying to play what I want to hear, and turn my attention elsewhere." They keep trying to find a way to get what they want, so they're distracted for a lot longer, and getting angrier.

It's this. Making it harder to find something you know is there is not less distracting, it's more distracting.

The biggest problem with Play Music versus Spotify is that GPM shows so many fewer upcoming tracks when in motion when you look at the queue.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have a pretty extreme stance on this issue that I'm not gonna be softening up on, having lost a friend to a distracted driver. I'm also deeply opposed to how most new cars seem to have touchscreens, etc. I'll back out of this given my lack of flexibility on this.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Okay Timely hasn't been updated in over a year and it seems it might have issues with Android 10 so I'm probably going to finally change up after being a loyal Timely user for years.

What are some solid alarm clock apps? I want one as similar to Timely as possible.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 1, 2019

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Okay Timely hasn't been updated in over a year and it seems it might have issues with Android 10 so I'm probably going to finally change up after being a loyal Timely user for years.

What are some solid alarm clock apps? I want one as similar to Timely as possible.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

God dammit I actually read over the past few pages and somehow missed this :negative:

Thanks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have a pretty extreme stance on this issue that I'm not gonna be softening up on, having lost a friend to a distracted driver. I'm also deeply opposed to how most new cars seem to have touchscreens, etc. I'll back out of this given my lack of flexibility on this.

It's not like your positions aren't correct. Touchscreens as automotive control interfaces should be illegal and distracted driving is a real problem. Of course Android Auto is supposed to be a way to address that problem and what Uthor and I are pointing out is that it is actually worsening that.

If a user goes into the media interface for something, anything really, what AA should be doing is getting the user out of there as rapidly as possible. Google's habit of changing the interface based on external factors really hampers this because the user (or at least I) goes into the interface expecting something and it's not there so now we're spending more time looking for it until we realize that it's not that it isn't there, it's that it isn't available in our current context. It's not only bad UI design it's deadly.

If the point of AA is to give the user a sensible, safer alternative to using their phone in the car then I'd have a tough time giving it a passing grade. Is it better than juggling cassettes and CDs like we did in the 80s or 90s? I can't really say but it doesn't seem better from an anecdotal perspective. I'd love to see a real proposals for actually improving the situation but I haven't seen anything other than platitudes or harsher penalties for being caught, neither of which feel like anything near adequate to the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Most cars come mic-ed for Bluetooth calls, how come you can't use Google Assistant to do whatever you need to in the car? Mic quality not good enough for assistant to be able to distinguish between background noise and voice commands?