Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

For a few points more you can have Claws, and the only thing better than unarmed fighter swarming a target, it's unmanned fighters that swarm a target and make sure it can't fire back...or move...or anything really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
If I remember, Thunders also have ion cannons and also have swarmers. Those and Claws pack such a strong punch that it's hard to justify using fighter bays on anything else other than Daggers if we're talking just vanilla.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I feel like the issue at that point is just getting the fuckers

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Probably my favorite fighter to spam all things being equal is LP Talons

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I remember when the Underworld boss Wasps had phase beams, back in Ye Olden Dayes when fighters weren't tied to carriers except to respawn. Those were hilarious fun. I guess tuning them down into merely having heavy burst PD lasers is understandable, but you only get a couple of those squadrons anyway.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

NightfallGemini posted:

If I remember, Thunders also have ion cannons and also have swarmers. Those and Claws pack such a strong punch that it's hard to justify using fighter bays on anything else other than Daggers if we're talking just vanilla.

Notably, Thunders have regular Ion Cannons (as well as LMGs and Swarmers), whereas Claws only have High Delay Ion Cannons - which means a wing of 2 Thunders actually effectively packs only 0.5 fewer ion cannons than a wing of 5 Claws, and combines it with light kinetic and HE damage as well as absolutely ridiculous speed and range at the same OP cost.

No shields and fewer fighters, mind, so Claws are likely better in a brawl, but a few Drovers loaded with Thunders is an incredibly effective disabler/harasser force to support your armada.

Vayra fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 23, 2019

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Sufficient piranhas with sufficient pilums is always fun too, though it runs the risk of your aggressive or reckless officers getting a broadside of your own munitions :gibs:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Piranhas are criminally underrated, but Khopesh are also really good.

Either combos well with Longbows.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

The Good Professor posted:

Notably, Thunders have regular Ion Cannons (as well as LMGs and Swarmers), whereas Claws only have High Delay Ion Cannons - which means a wing of 2 Thunders actually effectively packs only 0.5 fewer ion cannons than a wing of 5 Claws, and combines it with light kinetic and HE damage as well as absolutely ridiculous speed and range at the same OP cost.

No shields and fewer fighters, mind, so Claws are likely better in a brawl, but a few Drovers loaded with Thunders is an incredibly effective disabler/harasser force to support your armada.

Thunders are nice, but they also require crew and they come in a smaller squad, which makes it easier for AA to shoot them down. Risk vs reward I suppose.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The bladebreakers bomber was really shockingly boring to use with its 30 op cost. Dunno why, but kind of expected more out of it as it just shoots a really boring looking warhead that does okay damage.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Piranhas are criminally underrated, but Khopesh are also really good.

Either combos well with Longbows.

Khopesh are good too yeah, I like a good mix of them and piranhas together honestly. Longbows aren’t BAD but only having two sabots per run sucks. I usually replace them with the blackrock bombers that fire their kinetic rockets

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

Khopesh are good too yeah, I like a good mix of them and piranhas together honestly.

You can say that again, that what I usually use and why I like Claws over Thunders for the most part, they make good chaff for screening the way for all those incoming rockets and bomblets.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wish that Perdition bombers weren’t improvised rubbish because Hammer torpedos combo better with Khopesh rockets than Daggers’ Reapers.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
Perditions are hardly garbage, they were ridiculously OP in 0.9 and even with the nerfs they're still strong.

I usually recommend Khopeshes, Perditions and Daggers as general purpose bombers - they each have strengths and weaknesses but they're all still reasonably effective against most targets.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
Also Daggers haven't had Reapers for like, years :v

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

One of the mods I run adds a single bomber that mounts a reaper :gibs:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I think the Cobra is a default fighter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Good Professor posted:

Also Daggers haven't had Reapers for like, years :v

Oh right.

Either way, the timing doesn’t line up as well.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

What is the fantasy RPG equivalent of all this frigate/bomber/cruiser terminology? I don't have a good grasp of what I should be doing for these ships, combat wise, nor what I can actually fight.

Smuggling drugs and organs across the sector is pretty fun though.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Fighters are goblins, bombers are goblins with hand grenades. Frigates are hobgoblins, destroyers are orcs, cruisers are ogres, battleships are giants. Carriers are wizards who summon goblins

This is a terrible analogy but it’s what you asked for

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TalonDemonKing posted:

What is the fantasy RPG equivalent of all this frigate/bomber/cruiser terminology? I don't have a good grasp of what I should be doing for these ships, combat wise, nor what I can actually fight.

Uh... it's purely a general size distinction. Roles are independent of that

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007

TalonDemonKing posted:

There isn't a direct one, but I guess:
"Line" ships are "fighters", usually these will be ships with decent armor and/or shields that you've built with range-boosters, solid mid-to-long range weaponry, and lots of vents to sustain fire. Frigates aren't very good at this, but every other size class can be.
"Strike" ships are "assassins", these will be fast ships that you've given weapons that hit hard but might not have great longevity (especially missiles), and are good candidates for Safety Overrides. Fast ships are best in this role, which generally excludes capitals.
"Assault" ships are "berserkers", these will probably be the same hulls as line or strike ships but outfitted with close-range weapons and again, possibly given Safety Overrides. They operate in the space between line and strike ships - charge in, do a bunch of damage, and hope they kill their opponents before they run out of flux and armor - but have more longevity than dedicated strike ships. Any size of ship can be good at this.
Carriers and ships fitted with long-range missiles are "support", generally you want to keep these behind your battle line so shields, direct-fire guns, and armor aren't as important. These are good candidates for hullmods that don't directly improve combat performance (Expanded Deck Crew on carriers, for ex., also Extreme Modifications if you're running SWP). In vanilla, covering these in as many Pilums (for very slow or fragile ships) or Harpoons (for ones that can sit comfortably just behind your battle line) as possible is rarely a bad choice.

There's lots of in-betweens, but generally if you try to figure out which of these a given ship would be good for (most, except dedicated carriers, can fill multiple roles depending on loadout) and then build towards it, you won't be steered wrong.

Or, yeah, this:

Wafflecopper posted:

Fighters are goblins, bombers are goblins with hand grenades. Frigates are hobgoblins, destroyers are orcs, cruisers are ogres, battleships are giants. Carriers are wizards who summon goblins

This is a terrible analogy but it’s what you asked for

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I got an elite class conquest off a pirate lord. The mission description said it’s a special flagship and I think it’s got more OP than a regular type but that could just be the skill boost. It’s very cool though and I’m fitting it out with a load out I saw in the tournament which is a pair of mjolnirs and a ton of tac lasers and flak cannons.

It’s got a few D-mods but it’s not a big deal. It absolutely styles on a conquest in sims with a steady officer (aggressive got too close and overloaded) so I’ll train up an officer for it. I’ve never made cap fleets before but this thing will form the backbone of my first proper fleet.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Jumping back into this after not playing in awhile (or very far). Should I start on easy or normal? I don't wanna get halfway thru a long run and wish I had started on normal and have to restart.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Demiurge4 posted:

So I got an elite class conquest off a pirate lord. The mission description said it’s a special flagship and I think it’s got more OP than a regular type but that could just be the skill boost. It’s very cool though and I’m fitting it out with a load out I saw in the tournament which is a pair of mjolnirs and a ton of tac lasers and flak cannons.

It’s got a few D-mods but it’s not a big deal. It absolutely styles on a conquest in sims with a steady officer (aggressive got too close and overloaded) so I’ll train up an officer for it. I’ve never made cap fleets before but this thing will form the backbone of my first proper fleet.

The AI is too stupid to utilize Conquests effectively imo. Make it your flagship.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Popete posted:

Jumping back into this after not playing in awhile (or very far). Should I start on easy or normal? I don't wanna get halfway thru a long run and wish I had started on normal and have to restart.
I run a campaign one every patch which can be a year between and I always play normal. I think like you said you'd just be frustrated once you get into a campaign and find it gets weird with half damage. If you've played before you'll be right.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rynoto posted:

The bladebreakers bomber was really shockingly boring to use with its 30 op cost. Dunno why, but kind of expected more out of it as it just shoots a really boring looking warhead that does okay damage.

You want firespray bombers, energy rockets that do EMP damage too.

The Lens torpedoes are mostly just good for being energy type too, I think, which means they're universally effective, hence the high OP cost.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

ErKeL posted:

I run a campaign one every patch which can be a year between and I always play normal. I think like you said you'd just be frustrated once you get into a campaign and find it gets weird with half damage. If you've played before you'll be right.

Ok thanks, I'll restart since I'm still very early on. I'm pretty bad at this but I'll hopefully figure it out at some point.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

The AI is too stupid to utilize Conquests effectively imo. Make it your flagship.

I thought about that but I don't want to pilot a big ship like that myself, I prefer destroyers and frigates personally. Here's a timestamp of the Conquest from the tournament, it does remarkably well through most of the round but gets too close to the Paragon because the AI is bad. I feel like I can avoid most of that by supporting it properly in a fleet engagement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We5vLBIkp7g&t=2611s

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

this game is extremely disorienting with hrtf enabled

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Conquests do fine when picking on smaller ships and running away from other capital ships, which is fitting for a battlecruiser. Just don't expect it to go face to face with an actual battleship, because it will get unceremoniously shredded.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

OwlFancier posted:

You want firespray bombers, energy rockets that do EMP damage too.

The Lens torpedoes are mostly just good for being energy type too, I think, which means they're universally effective, hence the high OP cost.

Yeah the firesprays are really satisfying to use. Like souped-up khopeshes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think they've been nerfed a bit since they used to just delete whatever you shot with them, but they're still a useful thing to have especially in numbers. But then BB stuff in general has been nerfed.

The best BB stuff I still think is their autocannon family which are kinetics that have a chance to do extra damage to hull, they can really peel apart stuff en masse.

They used to have a fragmentation machinegun as well that had a similar effect but I think it got removed and replaced with a much weaker DME standard variant.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

BB's autocannons are pretty much a beefed up version of Blackrock's shard line, but a bit more OP-hungry.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BB ones are also faster and more accurate which makes them much better at punching through to hull with their limited AP ability, but yes they're a lot like shard cannons.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

is the attacking ai being able to deploy its ships ahead of the ones fleeing in pursuit missions just something that the ai is able to do, or have i missed a game mechanic somewhere

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

turn off the TV posted:

is the attacking ai being able to deploy its ships ahead of the ones fleeing in pursuit missions just something that the ai is able to do, or have i missed a game mechanic somewhere

Double/triple click on the ships you want to deploy and it'll cycle to Deploy left/Deploy right.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Rynoto posted:

Double/triple click on the ships you want to deploy and it'll cycle to Deploy left/Deploy right.

Note that this only applies to frigates.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Are there any mods that significantly increase the cost of deploying additional ships into a fight, as well as punishing the AI by reducing the size of their fleets? I would love a way to play that keeps fleet sizes small, as that is where I find the game the most fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

It sucks poo poo that the AI just gets to have half a dozen maxed out fleets while you can really only ever have one, yeah. It's part of why I hate actually using frigates, once you hit the point where every invasion attempt is just 6 fleets with 3 onslaughts each plus cruisers out the rear end frigates just can't pull their weight in terms of peak efficiency time and taking up a slot on your team so to speak. :mad: