Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

dpack_1 posted:

I guess, I mean Chigurh never really gets caught, though also doesn't get the money and is injured for his efforts, and Bell retires rather than continuing pursuit, but still the money involved is always in the hands of criminals.

It's more of a story about how crime isn't such an easy way through life, and an old cop that's just had enough of the violence in modern society giving up on it all hence the title.

At no point does someone commit a crime and get away with it entirely.

- EDIT

Oceans 11 ends with Danny Ocean doing time for breaking paraole, they make it very clear that the money is insured, and that Garcia's character (who's name escapes me inspite of watching the trilogy just this week) values money over the wellbeing of Tess which 'could' make him badder guy along with the talk of how he pursues anyone that wrongs him and goes after their families etc..

I'll admit there are obviously gonna be some exceptions to this, Swordfish is the only one i know of that definitely is just 'Criminal rides off into the sunset with zero consequences'.

A lot of heist movies make out that the person being robbed is in some way morally inept.

I didn't know dogfucking was such an integral part of the modern heist movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorbeef
Jul 24, 2007
Natural Born Killers?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
The Usual Suspects ?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

dpack_1 posted:

A lot of the Law Defeated stuff is still in effect.

Other than Swordfish I can't think of a single film where the bad guys get away with committing a crime unless they were coerced into the crime, or the cops were corrupt, or some other clause / trope that makes you root for the antagonist.

You see a lot of Bad Guy defeats Badder Guy or similar anti-hero stuff, but rarely does anyone break the law and get away with it completely.

If I remember rightly this is the exact reason that the Australian film "Malcolm" was banned in Malaysia.

Although it doesn't really follow your criteria, as it is the good guy protagonist that gets away with crimes. And there are a bunch of heist films where that poo poo happens, Oceans 11 to name a big famous one.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Although it doesn't really follow your criteria, as it is the good guy protagonist that gets away with crimes. And there are a bunch of heist films where that poo poo happens, Oceans 11 to name a big famous one.

Often in those films they go out of their way to show how evil the guy they're stealing from is, that they deserve it in some way.

I think Thomas Crown Affair (Original) is a pure heist that he gets away with with no exposition that who he's stealing from is bad.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Stealing from the rich is always good

It's never bad

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Robert Altman's The Player has Tim Robbins get away with murder. It's a good movie too.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

supermegaultra posted:

Natural Born Killers?

This one enters the Tarantino-verse.

You don't think Mickey and Mallory should get away, not because of all the murder but just because. But they do.

Because Tarantino-verse.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

dpack_1 posted:

I'll admit there are obviously gonna be some exceptions to this, Swordfish is the only one i know of that definitely is just 'Criminal rides off into the sunset with zero consequences'.

That's because the bad guy in Swordfish is someone you're supposed to think was the hero all along.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you count horror movies, there’s probably more with the killer getting away with it or reviving than not.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ElGroucho posted:

Stealing from the rich is always good

It's never bad

this, unironically

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Snatch

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

yoink

Max Damage
Jan 8, 2005
Syriana

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.
Funny Games, I don't think I've ever wanted a bad guy to die so much and been left disappointed.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

This would fall under the "deserving target" umbrella.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Memento posted:

Arlington Road? Tim Robbins gets away with flattening the FBI headquarters and frames a completely innocent university professor for the whole thing.

Parallax View with Warren Beatty ran with a very similar idea a few decades earlier.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
From Dusk til Dawn

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Cheshire Puss posted:

Funny Games, I don't think I've ever wanted a bad guy to die so much and been left disappointed.

funny games owns tho

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.
I feel like its designed to not be enjoyable. Which is cool I guess, in an arty way.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

If you count horror movies, there’s probably more with the killer getting away with it or reviving than not.

Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer is my go to. A viewer even told the director outside the premier, "You can't do that."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lady Disdain posted:

The Usual Suspects ?

On a more pleasant branch of the Kevin Spacey line: so far as we know, Lester Burnham's murderer gets away with it in American Beauty.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/rexchapman/status/1177322942465806342?s=21

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
That dog is way more chill than I would be.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Cat Hatter posted:

That's cause you're a bitch.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

JoelJoel posted:

That's cause you're a bitch.

True

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The police barely get involved in anything in that movie. Pretty much every character is a criminal of some sort. The law would have to be around in the first place to get defeated.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cat Hatter posted:

I kinda wondered if it already resigned itself to its fate.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Ape of Naples posted:

Or it figured out struggling makes the snake squeeze harder.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
For at least part of the video it had the look of "I have gotten myself into a predicament and am very sorry. Could you please assist me?"

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, just watching the video again I get the sense that it's thinking "Ok the humans are here. I'll keep it together and let them figure it out."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

As I was watching it, I started to wonder why they weren't hitting the snake, but I immediately realized that you probably can't gutpunch a snake, it's a tube of abs, right? Do they even have kidneys or a liver to punch? You can try and tear their head off, but you don't know if that'll start some contraction reflex that kills the victim.

Can't even scratch it unless it's real old and then you just get a nailful of shedded snakeskin.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Krankenstyle posted:

As I was watching it, I started to wonder why they weren't hitting the snake, but I immediately realized that you probably can't gutpunch a snake, it's a tube of abs, right? Do they even have kidneys or a liver to punch? You can try and tear their head off, but you don't know if that'll start some contraction reflex that kills the victim.

Can't even scratch it unless it's real old and then you just get a nailful of shedded snakeskin.

Yep, all abs. The kids did the right thing: control the head, use all your brute strength to uncoil the body.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://i.imgur.com/kRFdvyn.mp4

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1177271541806972928

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

I didn't realise the guy on the left was beatboxing; I thought his was just making the :thunk: face.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

The Ape of Naples posted:

One of the comments, "what are you doing? I want this!"

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Or it figured out struggling makes the snake squeeze harder.

I learned the same lesson after having sex. Now I lie motionless until they give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/Z350ATc.mp4