Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Global warming status: CANCELED

thank you president teukp!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

My parents lost their house. They are finally getting it into their head to move away.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

papersack posted:

My parents lost their house. They are finally getting it into their head to move away.

did they have flood insurance?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

another cane taking a shot at bermuda

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
this season's been listening to the beach boys i take it

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

actionjackson posted:

If so better hope it was not Liberty Mutual, they've been issuing mass denials for flood claims across the board this year because it turned out to be profitable

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Yes. This is the third time since '94 the house has flooded, so they've always had it. The house is paid off so they're going to sell the house as is, take the insurance money and buy a place where this poo poo doesn't happen all the time. I'm glad because it's one less reason for me to go to Houston.

As to Dumb Lowtax's point, I believe they have Progressive and never had an issue getting the payout. Apparently they pay $2200 a year in flood insurance, subsidized of course.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

El Burbo posted:

very wet

from the standpoint of water that is

just remembered this from.......... last year? gently caress

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

ScrubLeague posted:

just remembered this from.......... last year? gently caress

big water, ocean water

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

please explain the reference I would like to learn

also there's a tropical storm, Lorena, that's gonna crawl up the Baja California peninsula. maybe its remains will hit socal idk

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

oystertoadfish posted:

also there's a tropical storm, Lorena, that's gonna crawl up the Baja California peninsula. maybe its remains will hit socal idk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45X4WvkTK_I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qCaLgRadwA

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

oystertoadfish posted:

last year Former Reality TV Star and President of the United States Donald Trump referred to hurricane Florence as being extremely wet from the standpoint of water or something close to that

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

oh that figures. thanks

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

What the gently caress is with all this veering? Come at us cowards

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Over Easy posted:

What the gently caress is with all this veering? Come at us cowards

shut the gently caress up

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

oystertoadfish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45X4WvkTK_I

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
extremely wet and incredibly veered

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qCaLgRadwA

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

shut the gently caress up

I can't hear you over the sound of my crystals charging!

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
poo poo! i didn't read the posts before i posted which posted those exact same two video's! gently caress!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Addamere what have you done you've given the USA a force field!!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Addamere was secretly a double agent supporting the capitalist Floridian regime all along..

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

papersack posted:

Yes. This is the third time since '94 the house has flooded, so they've always had it. The house is paid off so they're going to sell the house as is, take the insurance money and buy a place where this poo poo doesn't happen all the time. I'm glad because it's one less reason for me to go to Houston.

People in Houston are fed up, seems like every year some part (if not most) of the city gets hosed by floods and people are getting PSTD flair ups any time it rains. Even the local news is talking about how the city can get people to stay or come here if all they ever see or hear of Houston is about how the whole city got flooded AGIAN.

Since Harvey I’ve been considering looking for work elsewhere and yesterday was the last straw for me.

Obviously the worst effected people are often the ones least capable of just packing up and leavening so this is going to be tragic.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Numlock posted:

People in Houston are fed up, seems like every year some part (if not most) of the city gets hosed by floods and people are getting PSTD flair ups any time it rains. Even the local news is talking about how the city can get people to stay or come here if all they ever see or hear of Houston is about how the whole city got flooded AGIAN.

Since Harvey I’ve been considering looking for work elsewhere and yesterday was the last straw for me.

Obviously the worst effected people are often the ones least capable of just packing up and leavening so this is going to be tragic.

Did you make it out ok without any damage? I completely understand the frustration and worry. You're spot on about the PTSD over even small storms. I see my friends posting on Facebook a lot that anytime it rains they're anxious it will flood.

Also, I hope you don't live on the east side, because I10 is hosed:

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article...69-fe44d75f6c81

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Minrad posted:

this season's been listening to the beach boys i take it

someone should warn microwave's mom

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

papersack posted:

Did you make it out ok without any damage? I completely understand the frustration and worry. You're spot on about the PTSD over even small storms. I see my friends posting on Facebook a lot that anytime it rains they're anxious it will flood.

Also, I hope you don't live on the east side, because I10 is hosed:

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article...69-fe44d75f6c81

I live on the northwest side where we escaped anything serious. Others I know where not so lucky and are dealing with flooded out houses, some for the 3rd time in as many years.

I also got to do something about my in laws. They came within an inch or two of losing their house. They have no insurance, savings anything. They have been saved so far because their house is on a post and beam foundation not a slab.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is the bahamas completely hosed did they ever update the official casualties number to be a bit closer to reality

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

is the bahamas completely hosed did they ever update the official casualties number to be a bit closer to reality

several hundred dead, thousands missing, were the Official Numbers i last saw

also the Bahamas are very large, it's mostly Grand Bahama and Abaco that were completely wiped out, two of the most northern islands.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Minrad posted:

several hundred dead, thousands missing, were the Official Numbers i last saw

also the Bahamas are very large, it's mostly Grand Bahama and Abaco that were completely wiped out, two of the most northern islands.

yeah and Grand Bahama is not actually the grandest Bahama, New Providence has the capital and 70% of the population and was more or less fine

it's still goddamn horrible for the 8-10% that lived up there

the standard casualty figure dance is "well these folks have been missing for x months, switch them to the other column"

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the standard casualty figure dance is "well these folks have been missing for x months, switch them to the other column"

then trump tweets that he read only 15 people dead when the hurricane first hit, fake news

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

- Houston has essentially no central planning and absolutely no environmental planning, so they essentially covered an enormous swathe of swampland/wetland/plains with impermeable surfaces such that the prodigious rains that they regularly experience has no where to go and end up accumulating on their billion acres of concrete hell

Plus they got warned by scientists for years that the out of control expansion,
car friendly sprawl and lack of infrastructure would lead to disaster in the near future.

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/09/563016223/exploring-why-hurricane-harvey-caused-houstons-worst-fooding

quote:

The San Jacinto is a perfect example of what went wrong. Normally it's pretty tame; the flow is about 30 cubic feet per second (a cubic foot is about enough to fill four basketballs). But during Harvey, the river was running at 80,000 cubic feet of water per second — headed south toward the city.

The San Jacinto is just one of many streams and rivers that flow into Houston. The city is kind of like a drain in a huge bathtub. People have known that for years. In the 1940s, after huge floods, the city tried to stop the water before it reached Houston. Engineers built two reservoirs, called Addicks and Barker.

Richard Hyde used to live near Addicks reservoir. Hyde's a retired petroleum geologist. He says that during Harvey, his house filled up fast. "I took a look out back and the reservoir was coming up on the back deck and heading for the sliding door window," he recalls. He got out when it reached the electrical outlets in his house. "I got 6 feet of water in the house," he says.

In the apartment he's living in now, he shows me a map of the area from the 1970s. To the west it's prairie and rice fields, the kind of land that soaks up rain. In a current map, it's now paved — houses, shopping malls, roads. That pushes more water into Houston.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

etalian posted:

Plus they got warned by scientists for years that the out of control expansion,
car friendly sprawl and lack of infrastructure would lead to disaster in the near future.

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/09/563016223/exploring-why-hurricane-harvey-caused-houstons-worst-fooding

Everything is bigger in texas

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

My favorite is climate deniers blaming them for not listening to the scientists.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

Houston's draining infrastructure struggles with regular storms so it's not surprising that a slow Hurricane like Harvey was able to cause such awe inspiring flooding.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

One of those tropical waves jumped up and now there's tropical storm Karen which would like to speak to the manager of Trinidad and Tobago. The track has it kind of tailing Jerry for now.
The tropical wave off Africa is likely to also become a named storm either by tonight or tomorrow so we're going through these names fast now.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Yo there's a loving tornado warning in north phoenix

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

hifi posted:

Yo there's a loving tornado warning in north phoenix

FIRENADO AGAIN?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

SKULL.GIF posted:

FIRENADO AGAIN?

nah, the storm that blew in last night actually looks like it's about to break up and go away. unless there's a massive resurge some time this afternoon, it's already mostly blue skies

it's actually bad news either way because we've had a record low amount of rain this year and could really use some more

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

FIRENADO AGAIN?

Good thing Phoenix shouldn't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

FIRENADO AGAIN?

https://i.imgur.com/eZVkgQK.mp4