Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Didn't Lula end up being more of liberal reformer in office, despite having a more left-wing history?

In the sense of taking a conciliatory approach, rather than a revolutionary one, to domestic issues, yes.

In the sense of abandoning long held objectives no.

His government include the greatest recent redistribution of wealth this side of a revolution.

It also included perhaps the most aggressive attempt at south- south coordination in recent history, which is why he pissed off the Obama administration so much.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

joepinetree posted:

In the sense of taking a conciliatory approach, rather than a revolutionary one, to domestic issues, yes.

His government include the greatest redistribution of wealth this side of a revolution.

It also included perhaps the most aggressive attempt at south- south coordination in recent history, which is why he pissed off the Obama administration so much.

This is rich when the Obama administration was one of the least latin american curious presidency's in a century.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Nonsense posted:

This is rich when the Obama administration was one of the least latin american curious presidency's in a century.

The Obama administration helped bring about the coup in Honduras, which Brazil opposed. Obama's own ambassador to Brazil said they saw Lula as a threat. Obama's own doj , through Kenneth Blanco, bragged about how they helped put Lula in jail. Part of the Snowden leaks was about the extensive wire tapping of Brazilian politicians. In any case, this is a derail. Feel free to go read through the Brazil thread on cspam.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

joepinetree posted:

The Obama administration helped bring about the coup in Honduras, which Brazil opposed. Obama's own ambassador to Brazil said they saw Lula as a threat. Obama's own doj , through Kenneth Blanco, bragged about how they helped put Lula in jail. Part of the Snowden leaks was about the extensive wire tapping of Brazilian politicians. In any case, this is a derail. Feel free to go read through the Brazil thread on cspam.

I will, I thought he was just completely uninterested in the region outside of Hillary's pursuits, it makes complete sense he would set up the pieces the right needed to get Lula jailed for life.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

joepinetree posted:

His government include the greatest recent redistribution of wealth this side of a revolution.

Ahh. Yeah, I had read that his actions seem to have been taken out of a genuine concern for what was possible rather than pragmatism just being an excuse. And I guess what ended up happening to him kinda proves that he was a genuine concern to the right-wing.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KingNastidon posted:

I believe basic statistical concepts and data science techniques are sorcery and am also bewildered why single payer and nationalization of medical innovation has not gained as much traction as predicted over past 6+ months

It’s amazing how consistently bitter you are about the decline of centrism without fully acknowledging it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/QueenInYeIIow/status/1176249048589918208?s=20

rko
Jul 12, 2017
It’s getting very hard to remain optimistic about Bernie. Even if I tell myself, “It’s okay rko, your peer group and many of your friends are exactly the kind of professional white people that make up Warren’s base and it’s not representative of how the actual vote will go,” or, “Polls this early don’t mean anything, don’t worry so much and focus on organizing,” it just kinda feels like 2015 all over again. Like we got some kind of 80s movie curse, except it affects the entire country and just makes us reenact the previous election over and over again until the seas rise to cook us once and for all. Maybe the data doesn’t support that pessimism, but drat it’s hard to shake.

Speaking of the data,

tylersayten posted:

It’s amazing how consistently bitter you are about the decline of centrism without fully acknowledging it.

Folks ITT should help KingNastidon with the healing process by tactfully ignoring the outbursts and allowing the stages of grief to progress unhindered. All their posts are just appeals to their own authority, and like, if I want my intelligence to be insulted in that fashion by a stats nerd, I can read Nate Silver tweets.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Agreed, if there's one thing the trans community needs right now it's performative and superficial gestures

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Weedle posted:

Agreed, if there's one thing the trans community needs right now it's performative and superficial gestures

I can't imagine these people reacting with anything but scorn if Bernie actually did this.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Is that guy trans? I mostly ask because he mentions a wife somewhere, and while I still think it’s a dumb point, I’d at least be more respectful of listening if they’re trans. Otherwise if it’s a straight dude complaining about someone not being an ally, I’m not interested. I mean Bernie was telling off ppl in Congress for using the term ‘homos’ before that person was likely even born

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1176252919139786759

I mean, I like CCR and all, but... really? The greatest of all time?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

That's probably the best answer he's ever actually given to a question, if for no other reason than I can honestly believe he likes CCR.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Pete realized that branding himself as the first millennial candidate hasn't attracted any millennial support so he's working hard to convince old people he's not *that* young.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DaveWoo posted:

Try to answer the question yourself. “Greatest American Rock Band” is fascinating because all of the cliche “greatest ever” bands are British. Picking an American band can get you down to niche bands, short-lived bands and mediocre-but-prolific bands pretty quick. The most iconic American acts are all solo, unless you count Springsteen + E Street as a band (which is defensible!)

It’s a fun question and I refuse to decide what my answer is. CCR is a fine choice, all things considered.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 23, 2019

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

mediaphage posted:

Is that guy trans? I mostly ask because he mentions a wife somewhere, and while I still think it’s a dumb point, I’d at least be more respectful of listening if they’re trans. Otherwise if it’s a straight dude complaining about someone not being an ally, I’m not interested. I mean Bernie was telling off ppl in Congress for using the term ‘homos’ before that person was likely even born

he sure as poo poo doesn't have any pronouns in his profile

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also Tool is the only rockband currently, sorry rockailures

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nonsense posted:

30-year old boomer-post

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mellow Seas posted:

Try to answer the question yourself. “Greatest American Rock Band” is fascinating because all of the cliche “greatest ever” bands are British. Picking an American band can get you down to niche bands, short-lived bands and mediocre-but-prolific bands pretty quick. The most iconic American acts are all solo, unless you count Springsteen + E Street as a band (which is defensible!)

It’s a fun question and I refuse to decide what my answer is. CCR is a fine choice, all things considered.

the correct answer is the talking heads op

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the correct answer is clutch

Fixed that

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

rko posted:

Folks ITT should help KingNastidon with the healing process by tactfully ignoring the outbursts and allowing the stages of grief to progress unhindered. All their posts are just appeals to their own authority, and like, if I want my intelligence to be insulted in that fashion by a stats nerd, I can read Nate Silver tweets.

The loudest voices here were quite adement that the 70% approval rating of Medicare for All among not only democrats, but republicans and independents was real and meant Bernie style single payer. And that the other candidates co-signing the bill meant there was broad democratic support for the implementation and therefore Sanders. Pointed out that was probably wasn't the case then and isn't the case now.

That's not an opinion on the validity of Bernie single payer, just where the country is at. Your own post highlights it's difficult to be optimistic about Sanders chances at this point in time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

he sure as poo poo doesn't have any pronouns in his profile

I checked; he uses le/lui which are the French male pronouns. Pretentious regardless, troll or sincere I couldn’t say.

Also I dunno who I’d pick but I do love CCR. REM another good option.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1176262794586533894

Pete has finally broken free of the brain worms.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

Lol this is gonna break some brains

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Nonsense posted:

Modern rock is dead. There's bands trying to light the fire again, but Tool is a walking corpse.

CCR as the best american classic rock band is not a terrible answer, but the correct answer should have been something like the Beach Boys, or The Doors.

Pete likely focused tested that answer.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/CANCEL_SAM/status/1176265744868417538?s=20

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I'm going to guess five or six marketing firms gave the Medicare for All Who Want It guy the green light on that tweet.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

I'm always so amazed at how cheap every single group or politicians will sell themselves out for.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

I'd actually say it's pretty obvious what the desk troop who covered up murders and promoted white supremacy within the police force wants to replace neoliberalism with.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Nonsense posted:

Uglycat log off Pete's account.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

velvet underground and it’s not even close

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/meaganmday/status/1176272549413625856

A good example of media treatment of Warren and Bernie and why it makes people very doubtful of the intentions of the former.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Mayor Pete has come out in favor of Revolution For Those Who Want It™, an amazing new policy where billionaires can choose to place their heads in guillotines for the greater good. Wow!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

bowser posted:

Mayor Pete has come out in favor of Revolution For Those Who Want It™, an amazing new policy where billionaires can choose to place their heads in guillotines for the greater good. Wow!

Revolution (for earners)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Epicurius posted:

It is, actually. Reality Leigh Winner.

Her parents actually thought they were setting her on the path of good house sales.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/CANCEL_SAM/status/1176265750849437697
I didn't really expect there to be anything quite that direct, but hey, whatever buys your election!

Not that it matters, you could track down bribery in broad daylights and then always just conjure up racism or misogyny off the most harebrained readings of some random fuckoff tweet or absolutely nothing whatsoever, right?

ded redd fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 24, 2019

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Revolution (for earners)

Come stay in our fully automated luxury cabins overlooking a pristine wilderness and imagine what the revolution might be like!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

velvet underground and it’s not even close

It's the Foo Fighters, sorry.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ThomasIsOnline/status/1176275438517260288

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DaveWoo posted:

Makes sense, since the guy is basically a modern Vietnam flashback.