Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Joey Freshwater posted:

That's what I thought/assumed but the few articles that talked about it laid it out like that without giving much more detail. I thought it seemed weird too.

A little research says that if they have probable cause to believe someone committed assault against a member of their household or a dating partner, they are supposed to make an arrest regardless of whether or not anyone says they want to press charges. Notably, the definition of “assault” includes “causing a person to reasonably fear imminent bodily injury” so if he was breaking stuff and making threats that could be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Still thinking about how Nebraska almost lost this...

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Thermos H Christ posted:

A little research says that if they have probable cause to believe someone committed assault against a member of their household or a dating partner, they are supposed to make an arrest regardless of whether or not anyone says they want to press charges. Notably, the definition of “assault” includes “causing a person to reasonably fear imminent bodily injury” so if he was breaking stuff and making threats that could be enough.

That makes more sense. I would think verbal assault/threats would count because I forgot he also said he wanted to slap her, whether he actually did or not.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Well if a D1 football player is angry and breaking poo poo and says they want to hit you I think that would cause a reasonable person to fear imminent bodily injury, so yeah.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

wa27 posted:

Illinois needs to put that tiny freshman (Isaiah Williams, yes another one ) in at qb and go for broke instead of this lovely old transfer guy

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

wa27 posted:

How?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Illinois would instantly score after every turnover they forced then go back to 3 and outs until nebraska fumbled again

It's crazy illinois didn't blow the lead until the 4th, honestly

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermos H Christ posted:

Well if a D1 football player is angry and breaking poo poo and says they want to hit you I think that would cause a reasonable person to fear imminent bodily injury, so yeah.

She testified that she wasn't scared at any point which is....c'mon how were you not?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Illinois would instantly score after every turnover they forced then go back to 3 and outs until nebraska fumbled again

It's crazy illinois didn't blow the lead until the 4th, honestly

Add in Illinois' amazing punts and the average starting field position must have been crazy for each team.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
News: hell yeah LSU Joe Burrow for Super Bowl MVP
Views: giving up that many points to Vanderbilt isn't great!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
N: Auburn might be really good. aTm might not be very good.

V: If aTm played all 4 quarters the same way they play individual 4th quarters... They'd be fuckin dangerous.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Guys it's fine all he did was threaten to shoot up the school.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not at all what anyone said but sure

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm going to go against this cabal of G5 homies and say gently caress UCF and their candy rear end schedule. They lost to Pitt. This isn't giant-slayer UCF anymore.

The problem with this mentality is a P5 team could lose to Pitt and in theory still make the playoffs. The playoffs are a sham until they add more spots because of this.

Scarf posted:

N: Auburn might be really good. aTm might not be very good.

V: If aTm played all 4 quarters the same way they play individual 4th quarters... They'd be fuckin dangerous.

This also means Tulane might be good. They dropped two easy catches in the end zone vs Auburn. Wouldn't have given them the lead but could have changed the game dramatically. Tulane's D is underrated. (See the Auburn game or 2nd half of the Houston game)

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 23, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Lol all you want, Iowa played like rear end against ISU for what they think is a top 15 team. :V

Bird in a Blender posted:

ISU doesn't play a ranked opponent until 11/9 when they go to Oklahoma. There's a decent chance they win all of those since their hardest game will be against Okie State, but they get them at home.

I'd be happy to see it. ISU's never going to be a favorite in the rankings, but I do love watching them beat teams with exponentially bigger budgets. They need to get their turnovers under control though, it's embarrassing and the defense can't spend two thirds of the game on the field and not die in the second half.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

This is funny:

https://twitter.com/Heartland_CS/status/1176157322873311232

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Liquid Communism posted:

Lol all you want, Iowa played like rear end against ISU for what they think is a top 15 team.

lol

https://twitter.com/HawkeyeFootball/status/1173060358304493570?s=19

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

god dang

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Funny, and Gundy ain't wrong. The mullet-take is tired as hell at this point, and Gundy isn't Mike Leach.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1176207804593582081?s=19

2020 Oklahoma starter/Heisman winner

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

it's true ;_;

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Tulane broke Houston.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fun fact that’s the guy that started over UF’s Trask in HS.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

i want to die

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Well that sucks. I'm all for the freedom of transfer, but quitting midseason to preserve eligibility after a 1-3 start really loving sucks for UH and the rest of that team.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

Well that sucks. I'm all for the freedom of transfer, but quitting midseason to preserve eligibility after a 1-3 start really loving sucks for UH and the rest of that team.

drat I didn't even think of that. Brutal.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Sab0921 posted:

This seems like it's the first time it's come up. Crazy.

He might be blocked from transferring to OU since OU opens the season vs Houston next year.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

kayakyakr posted:

This seems like it's the first time it's come up. Crazy.

He might be blocked from transferring to OU since OU opens the season vs Houston next year.

I don't think so - that home and home with UH is done now, the other UH game was in 2016.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

oh cool, UNT might have a chance next week

Too bad this wasnt a midweek decision

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So on the drive where everyone claimed that Notre Dame had a player fake an injury... a totally different player started to go down until he realized someone else was going down. I'm not really bent out of shape about it because I would rather a hurt player feel like they can go down, but :lol: if this doesn't seem blatant.

https://twitter.com/ugabarstool/status/1176199428648181762

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Sab0921 posted:

I don't think so - that home and home with UH is done now, the other UH game was in 2016.

Oop, you're right. Google lied to me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

So on the drive where everyone claimed that Notre Dame had a player fake an injury... a totally different player started to go down until he realized someone else was going down. I'm not really bent out of shape about it because I would rather a hurt player feel like they can go down, but :lol: if this doesn't seem blatant.

I don't think there's a good way to stop this without risking safety.

I don't think it helps the defense all that much anyway.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

Fun fact that’s the guy that started over UF’s Trask in HS.
Oh thanks I heard the line "hadn't started since freshman year of HS" Saturday and meant to ask who he was behind cause I figured I'd be a known name.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Sure it does. It kills offensive momentum and gives the defense rest.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PostNouveau posted:

It'd have to be a retrospective process, where it gets reviewed after the game, then offending teams get fines imposed or some poo poo like that.

Jimbo was doing it borderline egregiously during the Clemson/A&M game.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

Sure it does. It kills offensive momentum and gives the defense rest.

I dunno man I haven't tracked it or anything but it feels like the team that's getting its rear end whipped by the offense often just goes right back to getting their rear end whipped by the offense once play resumes.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

PostNouveau posted:

I think you only stop it by changing culture at the team level, and only if you want to.

Would more of a commitment to S&C reduce the need to fake injuries? Maybe, but at some point you're going to run into a situation where the other guys have more in the gas tank than you do.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1176244602745040896?s=19

Punting on the whole dang season 4 games in, I respect it

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Tilman Fertitta furiously Googling “Dana Holgorsen Houston buyout”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KKKLIP ART posted:

I'll be honest, it looks like this is not a fake. #6 was limping around, #11 saw it and was yelling "get down, get down" or something like that and went to tackle him. #20 was walking off the field and heard whatever was being yelled and ducked because he had no idea what was going on.