Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Or maybe editors of print books and producers of TV shows have very, very, very, very different agendas

He's written at least one really lovely book since then too (the Cardinals one, and I even like the Cardinals)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Very fair point, but an author often gets a LOT more leeway to overrule their editor after they're an established bestseller.

Maybe success turned him into a horrible blowhard, or maybe he's always been a horrible blowhard but FNL's publisher was able to strip most of the hard blowing out of it (:haw:)

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/liz_franczak/status/1174478241593085952

oh no

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
this isn't the cursed images thread

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1175093288359157761?s=19

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1175112644258390016?s=19

https://twitter.com/TheMooseNation/status/1175159302400675842?s=19

https://twitter.com/SoDuTw/status/1175162009064738818?s=19

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
That guy looks loving weird but also wrestling is dumb.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wrestling owns, actually.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Bix is a goon so that picture checks out

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

What became of Michael Vick's dogs :unsmith:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AB84/status/1175772376979709954

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

please keep rovert out of here, he is a pretend journalist.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You can just taste the barstool:

https://twitter.com/RobertKlemko/status/1175516958390751232

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I assume this now deleted tweet was part of this article: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/09/antonio-brown-nfl-broken-system-twitter-rant

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

he was encouraging Patriots fans to threaten the SI reporter that wrote the article with allegations against him

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

trem_two posted:

he was encouraging Patriots fans to threaten the SI reporter that wrote the article with allegations against him

Oh. Well, then.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus :stare:

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1175797618015920128

Context:

awful announcing posted:

The Gamecocks were barely competitive in a 34-14 loss to the Tigers this weekend and quarterback Ryan Hilinski had a particularly bad day, going 13-for-30 for 166 yards and no scores. On the field, it’s been a tough slog for Hilinski all season long.

Of course, the freshman quarterback is likely keeping it in perspective. He’s not even two years removed from January 16, 2018, when his older brother, WSU quarterback Tyler Hilinski, committed suicide. When it was later revealed that Tyler suffered from stage one chronic traumatic encephalopathy, the Hilinski family created a charity called Hilinski’s Hope, dedicated to destigmatizing mental illness. A powerful bonus of Ryan’s position is that his college football games are also opportunities to promote the organization and their purpose.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
horrible

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
.....jesus christ

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The State is barely a newspaper anymore, every time I’m back home I see all kinds of mistakes pop up in their rare non-AP articles

Still, a weirdly large segment of Gamecocks fans is going full conspiracy theory and suggesting this was somehow intentional

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/GamecocksOnline/status/1175907091497832450

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

morestuff posted:

Still, a weirdly large segment of Gamecocks fans is going full conspiracy theory and suggesting this was somehow intentional

I mean, I guess it's possible someone decided this would be a cool way to get fired and probably never work in journalism again, but I kinda doubt it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DJExile posted:

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus :stare:

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1175797618015920128

Context:

Literally laughed out loud

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hehe Gamecocks

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ray Ratto is good

quote:

But it does invoke the Third Law of The Garage: You have only so much space. For everything you get in life, you have to take something to the dump, or the consignment store, or the front lawn with a sign that reads, “Free.” In exchange for a parade in 2016 that everyone not a White Sox fan loved and will cherish for eternity, Cubs fans lost the ability to fully appreciate and process the tracheotomy of 2019.

I don’t really know any of this to be indisputably true, since I know very few Cubs fans, and those I do know have the kindness and decency to maintain a respectful 1,600-mile distance. But I do know that fans who wear their historical failures like a miner’s hat are pretty much the same everywhere—they use those failures as a weight-bearing wall in the temple of their sports fantasies. The Cubs blew that up, so their misery odometer has been reset.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/MorganFogarty/status/1176239687264100354?s=20

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jesus christ i know they're not swimming in money but I find it exceptionally hard to believe gawker can't hire an editor to be assigned solely to billy loving haisley

what the gently caress is this rambling rear end opening sentence

quote:

It’s more than a little ironic that the definitive proof that the Premier League truly is as comprehensively and inarguably supreme as its fanboys have long contended it to be has come in the exact form many of those same fanboys shitted on Spain for back when La Liga was top dog.

what the gently caress is this rambling rear end sentence

quote:

One of the core concepts used to support this belief—and maybe the most important one, as it sought to preempt the strongest point of evidence for the contrary position: the inarguable supremacy of Barcelona and Real Madrid—was the idea that, unlike in Spain where the Big Two effortlessly piled mountains of goals and points onto their wildly overmatched opponents, England was too competitive, too proud, too fierce, too good to allow any one or two teams to so thoroughly dominate the league.

why the gently caress is he still employed

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I'm glad that the comments are making GBS threads all over the first sentence because my brain couldn't physically parse it either

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

at this point we have to assume he's kept on as some sort of inside joke by the editors to gently caress with the other writers.

holy poo poo that's a bad sentence though.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

BWV posted:

at this point we have to assume he's kept on as some sort of inside joke by the editors to gently caress with the other writers.

holy poo poo that's a bad sentence though.

Haisley is now the news editor of Deadspin, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's acting managing editor now that Greenwell left for Wired. and of course, as he's the kind of person who insists on using the ç when talking about Barcelona, he'd be champing at the bit to write that sort of article.

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 23, 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DJExile posted:

jesus christ i know they're not swimming in money but I find it exceptionally hard to believe gawker can't hire an editor to be assigned solely to billy loving haisley

what the gently caress is this rambling rear end opening sentence

what the gently caress is this rambling rear end sentence

why the gently caress is he still employed

The second quote makes sense (I'm sure it could be cut down, but I understand totally what he means) but the first one is straight up unintelligible.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Troy Queef posted:

Haisley is now the news editor of Deadspin, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's acting managing editor now that Greenwell left for Wired. and of course, as he's the kind of person who insists on using the ç when talking about Barcelona, he'd be champing at the bit to write that sort of article.

I'm guessing that in Greenwell's absence either Ley or Petchesky is running the show.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

He’s on like a 60 CC scooter. The optics are fine. Riding a loving bike and playing in a football game are different.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Cam hooning on a bike like he's Kenny Roberts would immediately make him my fav athlete

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

What makes his writing so frustrating is that he's often exploring very basic concepts. If he was writing about something complex you'd expect some painstaking writing. But a simple point like "the stuff EPL fans once complained about is now happening to them " is not an idea that requires such convoluted writing.

He might be the worst writer I consistently come across in terms of people who actually get paid to do this. He consistently sacrifices basic clarity for a "style" that is unappealing and unnecessarily dense.

BWV fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 23, 2019

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Troy Queef posted:

he's the kind of person who insists on using the ç when talking about Barcelona

what? that isn't even correct

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

No Safe Word posted:

what? that isn't even correct

when you're talking about Barca, there are certain people who insist on spelling it Barça as that's PROPER

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

soggybagel posted:

He’s on like a 60 CC scooter. The optics are fine. Riding a loving bike and playing in a football game are different.

Don't many sports contracts say they're not supposed to be riding stuff like that? I would assume star QBs usually have that kind of rider.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Troy Queef posted:

when you're talking about Barca, there are certain people who insist on spelling it Barça as that's PROPER

Bartha

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
They deleted a ton of the comments pointing out how terribly written that article was, good job deadspin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

They deleted a ton of the comments pointing out how terribly written that article was, good job deadspin

lmao that sounds about right