Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Whalley posted:

My wife's family has several friends who really like his stuff and think he's a genius and also told me not to go down the "ethnics" aisle in the grocery store because "you don't know what they eat" and that's the kind of person I think of when I think Christopher Kimball

Oh yeah I recall the bucket of live scorpions in aisle 11A was a rude awakening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The ethnic aisle is where they hide the good stuff. Keep chuds out

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I thought they were perfectly crunchy if you got the stinger off first. :shrug:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Suspect Bucket posted:

But Goya deserves to be the first and last canned good any shopper sees. Prime shelf real estate going to Bush's is horse poo poo

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Christopher Kimball's War on Flavor continues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywXAlwcsYJk

Milk Street more like milquetoast.

Whalley posted:

My wife's family has several friends who really like his stuff and think he's a genius and also told me not to go down the "ethnics" aisle in the grocery store because "you don't know what they eat" and that's the kind of person I think of when I think Christopher Kimball

They would've been terrified to follow me around today. I took a mental health day off work and went to Cardena's and Ranch 99. I got chilaca, poblano, anaheim, manzana, serrano, and puya - and that's just the chile varieties. Also masa para tortillas (I volunteered to make fresh tortillas for my cooking club's taco night and need to practice), bulk jamaica and chamomile, mint, cilantro, five kinds of mushroom, two pork tongues, and about eight kinds of stone fruit, only three of which I'd seen before. I even picked up some queso fresco made at Cardena's, so not only am I eating what they eat, I actually let them prepare it for me. My tacos tonight are going to be Extremely Ethnic.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
For some reason I think it's the funniest goddamn thing that the local Safeway shelves the Maruchan instant ramen with the Campbell's soup but Shin Ramyun in the Mysteries of the Orient aisle next to the doubanjian, oyster sauce, and so on.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

somehow Kimball and Milk Street keep winning awards in the age of woke food content, I don't get it

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

big black turnout posted:

"Comments are disabled for this video"

First thing I noticed lol

Did that goofy fucker really just say browning meat smells bad? What?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Amen.

I need my spicy and fermented things, and they don't deserve them.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

bartolimu posted:

Milk Street more like milquetoast.

They would've been terrified to follow me around today. I took a mental health day off work and went to Cardena's and Ranch 99. I got chilaca, poblano, anaheim, manzana, serrano, and puya - and that's just the chile varieties. Also masa para tortillas (I volunteered to make fresh tortillas for my cooking club's taco night and need to practice), bulk jamaica and chamomile, mint, cilantro, five kinds of mushroom, two pork tongues, and about eight kinds of stone fruit, only three of which I'd seen before. I even picked up some queso fresco made at Cardena's, so not only am I eating what they eat, I actually let them prepare it for me. My tacos tonight are going to be Extremely Ethnic.

Man I love manzano peppers. I’ve only used them to make syrups for cocktails though.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Watching that guy complain about garlic being too strong, New Mexico chiles being too much heat, browning meat smelling bad...why does he hate food and pleasure and life?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Why do you think it's called Milk Street?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
By the way that is apparently not the episode where he says water is his favorite ingredient.

Chris Kimball stans for big water

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Whalley posted:

The little plastic bags of whole spices that they stick in the "international" aisle are usually the best and cheapest spices available at the local supermarket. gently caress yeah I'll pay 90 cents for the same amount of cumin that McCormick wants $7.99, I even get to toast and grind it myself.

WeaponX posted:

First thing I noticed lol

Did that goofy fucker really just say browning meat smells bad? What?

I think beef smells bad when it's greying, and then smells good when it actually starts browning. My parents didn't actually brown ground beef, they'd just grey it and then remove the "grease". Blew their minds when I learned how browning meat actually works and showed them that the "grease" would magically disappear if they kept cooking it longer.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So is there anything that makes a good substitute for Cilantro, cause I've got that thing that makes Cilantro taste like soap to me

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

drrockso20 posted:

So is there anything that makes a good substitute for Cilantro, cause I've got that thing that makes Cilantro taste like soap to me

Basil is delicious and works well enough.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Eat cilantro every time you curse. You'll either clean up your language or learn to love cilantro.

E: also while I think the milk street man is afraid of strong flavors and heat he isn't wrong in every way. Not searing meat before using it in a dish isn't that unusual in a lot of cultures, and I'll stand behind using water instead of stock in a lot of soups/stews. If its main flavors are coming from spices/herbs/the ingredients themselves it makes sense to not bury them under the flavor of a stock.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 24, 2019

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Basil is delicious and works well enough.

As someone who has a lot of Italian family members, I definitely know the strengths of Basil, will have to try that next time I make something that has Cilantro listed as an ingredient

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

drrockso20 posted:

As someone who has a lot of Italian family members, I definitely know the strengths of Basil, will have to try that next time I make something that has Cilantro listed as an ingredient

Just use ghost peppers instead of jalepenos, you won't miss the cilantro.

Mint and rosemary also make good substitutes.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Not sure if it is also effected by it but could try to find culantro and try it.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

So, uh, the food lab videos they're putting out on serious eats are super uncomfortable, right? Heavily scripted 'quirkiness' and puns, and the woman touching Kenji all the time for no apparent reason is really odd and off putting.
I like serious eats stuff but goddamn. Or am I just being a goon?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
They're the worst. It's like they saw how successful Bon Appetit's video content has been, but somehow completely missed what makes them good (charismatic hosts talking off the cuff about food, snappy editing, cameras that aren't on tripods).

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
My in laws bought me the two milk street cookbooks for Christmas last year. They aren’t a bad place to start for working a recipe and getting a base to experiment from.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Yeah, I got a subscription to the magazine as a Christmas gift. Decent enough, but not something I'm going to renew when it runs out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I like turtles posted:

So, uh, the food lab videos they're putting out on serious eats are super uncomfortable, right? Heavily scripted 'quirkiness' and puns, and the woman touching Kenji all the time for no apparent reason is really odd and off putting.
I like serious eats stuff but goddamn. Or am I just being a goon?

Nah I got weirded out by them too. I have to imagine someone sat Kenji down and told him he’s just not exciting enough to carry a YouTube channel by himself so they have to pair him with a bubbly young blonde.

ATK is guilty of this now too. Lisa McManus was doing their equipment reviews for years and years but now they’re suddenly pairing her with a bubbly young blonde and rebranding their equipment reviews as Gear Heads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFyMMUUt6ns

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Sounds like the big transition Emeril had, where all of a sudden he's working the camera.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 25, 2019

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

prayer group posted:

They're the worst. It's like they saw how successful Bon Appetit's video content has been, but somehow completely missed what makes them good (charismatic hosts talking off the cuff about food, snappy editing, cameras that aren't on tripods).

BA's got Gaby and Molly. Any time a video's being slow, just bring Gaby in to dish out some perspective, or have Molly curse.

Edit: roasted two small pumpkins, now roasting the seeds. Made a bunch of puree for soup and pie, also made a delicious small dinner of mashed pumpkin with ghee, tamari, a splash of sesame oil, and Sriracha. Delicious and filling.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 24, 2019

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Ok, I’m not one to defend Kimball by any stretch but on this one, I get the point. It’s not so common in the north, but in the south (and lots of hot climates), you don’t use stock, because it’s a time sink, and you don’t have the fire power to let something park on the stove for hours on end. I don’t keep stock in the house, because where I come from, nobody really uses it.

Secondly, I don’t think anyone would accuse Indian food of being bland, but a lot of the European food did to make up for lack of spices, we’ve not had to contend with. What’s the purpose of dirtying extra dishes, and taking extra time on browning meat when your spices will overwhelm whatever difference it made in the first place.

Also, don’t @ me with “well this butter chicken recipe says—“. First off, nobody eats like that on a day to day basis. You see Indian home cooking, and it’s fry whole spices in oil, add onions, ginger, garlic, add whatever masala paste you’re using, give onions a cursory frying until they soften, and then dump in the meat, the souring agent, a pinch of sugar, and add water to just cover, and let it cook.

By the time the thing is done stewing for an hour or more, you’ve got plenty of collagen from the meat itself, lots of flavour from the spices, and any cook worth her salt is going to season the dish with finishing touches: ghee or sesame oil, cilantro, and any tarka or spice mix she uses to finish the dish.

There are dishes we make in the south where you literally throw all the veggies (including onion!), some spices (my mum uses fenugreek seed, and turmeric; I also add salt), and let it boil. You finish it with coconut. The whole thing uses 1 pot, takes like a half hour, and is so comforting and delicious. I’ve tried versions where I do the browning of the onions, adding in a tarka, and all kinds of other faff. And it’s nice, but it’s not that dish, because that dish is meant to work in that context.

Hell, I’ve seen old aunties dump everything in the pressure cooker, throw it on the stove, and get on with rolling out the chapati, because “it’ll all meld together it’s fine”. When it’s done, she’ll throw in some garam masala, a bit of ghee, and a huge handful of cilantro.

Notice that this is what this guy was doing. He got the spices in. He got in other stuff to cook with it. He let it cook. Then he finished it with harissa. Yes it didn’t have a ton of heat, but they just got done showing how many different spices they’re using. Then he throws in a good hefty bunch of cilantro.

If you want to say that he could have used more spice? Sure. If you’re saying he should have fresh ground the spice? Cool. But making GBS threads on a valid technique that people all over the world use doesn’t feel great to see, especially since you guys like food, and learning about different cultures and how they cook.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Steve Yun posted:

Christopher Kimball's War on Flavor continues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywXAlwcsYJk

Not only does he say you don't need to bother with maillard, he is extolling the virtues of water in place of stock in a stew recipe

i like the weird fuzzy depth of field poo poo that makes it look like a dream sequence or some kind of tilt shift macro shot. The inexplicable shots of the audience reacting to literally nothing is particularly unintentionally entertaining.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
also kudos to chris for pronouncing umami "you mommy"

my non-cook friend laughed at chris for whining excessively about there being a habanero in the peruvian chicken marinade on ATK. he must be a real bullshit artist to keep convincing TV people his cooking opinions are worth airing. What is it with him and his fifteen different lovely expensive magazines that are/were all weirdly tied to PBS. I think I hate this dude.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
He channels middle america baby boomer id. I'm just surprised he hasn't done a product tie in with the Bubba Gump Shrimp Company yet.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Let's switch to a more pleasant topic and post cooking channels that we like

https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson

Love watching and reading about old historical recipes

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
To wit:

https://youtu.be/EteEqlQgr9A

Srsly. Most of the world uses water and a bunch of spices. This is a thing.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I don't usually bother using stock when I make Indian food because the spices give it both body and flavor. it tastes just about the same when I have used stock so why bother spending the money or doing the effort for no benefit

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

dino. posted:

To wit:

https://youtu.be/EteEqlQgr9A

Srsly. Most of the world uses water and a bunch of spices. This is a thing.

I don't think any of us are denying the tradition of using water and heavy spices in stew versus using stock, because that's not the angle that Kimball is coming at this from (and I actually loved hearing your perspective on casual Indian cooking, it's a style I'm pretty unfamiliar with and you make it very natural-seeming). He just seems to have developed a pathological hate for deep, rich flavor. And that's not to say that that isn't achievable with the methods you're talking about, dino -- in fact, I'm sure the opposite is true -- it's just that it's endemic to what seems to be an overall disgust he has with richness in general.

Overall it seems to be that with this recipe in particular he's using decently good techniques for the wrong reasons. I'd love to see him try to make, say, barbeque ribs with his browning-averse, water-heavy techniques he's so fond of.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If Milk Street had just presented the recipes as they are, said put in the meat and spices and water, that would have been fine. Plenty of Korean recipes are “boil it to death” and they turn out fine. But Kimball has a weird insecurity about his recipes on his new show where he has to poopoo maillard when he doesn’t need to. It’s like if a guy selling pies couldn’t just sell pies he also has to trash talk cake in the process.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 25, 2019

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

drrockso20 posted:

Let's switch to a more pleasant topic and post cooking channels that we like

https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson

Love watching and reading about old historical recipes

I am elbow deep in the Cooking Issues podcast backlog and loving it :)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
bland is unfairly denigrated by a very vocal set of people online. I have had poached chicken breast and veal blanquette that I enjoyed quite a lot and think there is something about these preparations that is currently misunderstood. I appreciate one brave man carrying the torch.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I recently ditched cable, so I'm watching more PBS then ever. I like the Test Kitchen TV show much, much better without that old white rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I think that's the big deal. Criticisms aside of his preference to water, the dude is a dick. He was belittling in every drat segment he was on and I eventually disliked ATK, now I love it again. It doesn't help his case that he absolutely hates anything with any heat but generally I think most people in here just don't like him as a person and it's well deserved.