Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Also apparently CarPlay can also put apps on different screens in your car, though no cars are supported yet. So you could have the now playing on the radio screen area and maps in the dash for example. Would be curious if anything on the market could be updated to support this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Hi all, selling the XS Max is harder than any other phone. Thank you for tuning in.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

LODGE NORTH posted:

Hi all, selling the XS Max is harder than any other phone. Thank you for tuning in.

I will give you a crisp new $5 bill, young man!

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

mediaphage posted:

I will give you a crisp new $5 bill, young man!

How new are we talking

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Did they take away the magnifying glass when you’re scrubbing through text fields? It’s way harder to type now

The behaviour has changed so you drag the cursor itself to where you want it to go rather than holding down in the middle of a word and using the mag glass. It's gonna take some time to break that muscle memory.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm trying out "Do Not Disturb While Driving" for the first time but it seems pretty wonky. I'm navigating with Waze and still getting Twitter poo poo on top of my screen, obscuring the directions. Are there some other settings I should be messing with or what?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Minidust posted:

I'm trying out "Do Not Disturb While Driving" for the first time but it seems pretty wonky. I'm navigating with Waze and still getting Twitter poo poo on top of my screen, obscuring the directions. Are there some other settings I should be messing with or what?

I think the feature just makes it so nothing alerts you when your phone is locked (or presumably using Apple Maps). You're essentially "using your phone" through Waze, so it'll still push notifications.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I forgot was there an Apple credit card thread? I know it’s pretty straight forward but just curious on trip reports and how y’all like it

breaks
May 12, 2001

I wanted another card for total credit limit reasons and was buying a new phone so I just got one. Signup is super easy through the app and all, the physical card is as nice as you'd expect but kind of useless since it's only 1%. I like that there's somewhat better privacy on it as far as them supposedly not auctioning your purchase deets off to the highest bidder. For me the only other thing I was considering was a travel card but it just didn't make too much sense with the yearly fees on most of those. I just use it wherever I can Apple pay and use whichever of my other two cards gets the best percentage elsewhere. All the stuff in the app with showing where you bought things and categories you spent money on and such is neat but doesn't really add much real value, at least not for me.

Kind of a shrug if you're trying to maximize your kickbacks but if the privacy and expenditure tracking stuff appeals to you then go for it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I need a case recommendation.

I’m going to give my S/O my Xs Max and right now I have the apple leather case on it. The problem is she is incredibly clumsy with her phones and I definitely need something with more protection.

Not something like the otterbox but more protection over the leather case.

Does anyone use a good case they can recommend? Preferably something that comes in nice colors.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Rusty posted:

CarPlay update is nice, I wish I could put Waze on the multi screen though instead of Apple maps.

Apple maps took me on a completely unnecessary $20 toll route the other night after I specifically picked the other route before leaving. It probably saved me 3 minutes. I was just starting to think it's not that bad. By the time I realized what it was doing it was too late.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
The iOS 13 iTunes Store won’t let me buy a movie because my phone doesn’t have enough free space to download it immediately.

Didn’t they fix that like five versions ago? :psyduck:

e: the storage management screen doesn’t show storage usage per app in the list view anymore, you have to tap on the individual apps to see.

Every iOS 13 change I’ve noticed so far has been an annoyance.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 24, 2019

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I need a case recommendation.

I’m going to give my S/O my Xs Max and right now I have the apple leather case on it. The problem is she is incredibly clumsy with her phones and I definitely need something with more protection.

Not something like the otterbox but more protection over the leather case.

Does anyone use a good case they can recommend? Preferably something that comes in nice colors.

Otterboxes have come a long way. My girlfriend is equally as clumsy and drops her phone on a regular basis, but the Symmetry is both relatively slim and super sturdy.

Here's what it looks like on an XS Max.

Get her this and a glass screen protector and she's golden. It does come in different colors aside from black, but they're all kinda weird.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Otterboxes have come a long way. My girlfriend is equally as clumsy and drops her phone on a regular basis, but the Symmetry is both relatively slim and super sturdy.

Here's what it looks like on an XS Max.

Get her this and a glass screen protector and she's golden. It does come in different colors aside from black, but they're all kinda weird.

Oh that looks nice. I’ll give that one a look.

My dad has the old clunky otterbox and yeah...

Thanks!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

prom candy posted:

Apple maps took me on a completely unnecessary $20 toll route the other night after I specifically picked the other route before leaving. It probably saved me 3 minutes. I was just starting to think it's not that bad. By the time I realized what it was doing it was too late.

Do you normally take any toll roads? If not, you can tell it to avoid tolls in Settings -> Maps -> Driving -> toggle on Avoid Tolls

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

As terrible as Facebook is, nothing is worse than the fact the shortcut icons in the bottom row keep moving around. Stay still, dammit!

tap and hold and you can remove them.

its then exponentially infuriating because you remove shortcuts from the bottom bar, but you cant decide what ones you want on the bottom bar.

astral posted:

Do you normally take any toll roads? If not, you can tell it to avoid tolls in Settings -> Maps -> Driving -> toggle on Avoid Tolls

Seriously, Google Maps/Waze/Apple Maps really need to handle tolls on a cost/time benefit metric. They have how much computing power at their mercy and they just stick with some 2005 Garmin GPS 'avoid tolls' toggle?

I should be able to tell it that unless a toll road is gonna save me X minutes per dollar, dont bother. Its really annoying when starting a route to somewhere you may not have been before only to find its got you getting on a totally unnecessary toll road to save 2 minutes when that 2 minutes just cost you a third of your hourly wage.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Falco posted:

Seriously, and I have icons disappear or reappear in the middle of the day when I haven't recently done an update to the app.

Look at you, thinking that Facebook doesn’t know which app(s) you want to use more than you yourself knows :tinfoil:

dantheman650 posted:

How the hell do you create a reminder list? It tells me I don’t have a default list set, so I click Add List, but nothing happens and then I can’t create a reminder.

When you tap on Add List a pop up should appear that lets you type in a list title and then tap on a bunch of icons. You don’t see that? Weird. Honestly have you tried rebooting? I had a similar-ish problem on my Watch when I updated watchOS in that it told me I had no lists. Rebooting it fixed it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

spanky the dolphin posted:

The behaviour has changed so you drag the cursor itself to where you want it to go rather than holding down in the middle of a word and using the mag glass. It's gonna take some time to break that muscle memory.

It sucks because I am trying to bring the cursor between two hyper tags so I can post images on SA and my finger is covering the tiny space between the brackets!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hold down the space bar and move the cursor where you want it to go.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

astral posted:

Hold down the space bar and move the cursor where you want it to go.

This is really unintuitive and nearly impossible to discover on your own

What was wrong with the old way?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Laserface posted:

Seriously, Google Maps/Waze/Apple Maps really need to handle tolls on a cost/time benefit metric. They have how much computing power at their mercy and they just stick with some 2005 Garmin GPS 'avoid tolls' toggle?

I should be able to tell it that unless a toll road is gonna save me X minutes per dollar, dont bother. Its really annoying when starting a route to somewhere you may not have been before only to find its got you getting on a totally unnecessary toll road to save 2 minutes when that 2 minutes just cost you a third of your hourly wage.

They already kinda do. I know Apple Maps and Google Maps will only suggest a toll road for me if it's going to save me >5min or whatever.

I don't think they factor in cost though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

FCKGW posted:

This is really unintuitive and nearly impossible to discover on your own.

Cool you just figured out why Apple wanted to get rid of 3D Touch.

Edit: I’m slowly starting to retrain my muscle memory to use double tap = select the word and triple tap = select the whole sentence. The copy/paste one though I have no idea how I’d use it comfortably.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 24, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I was indecisive and didn't order the Pro Max I wanted to when it was still showing in stock. Order for delivery currently shows 10/15-21, is there any chance stores will have stock before them (Los Angeles area, if that helps) or should I just order it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Krakkles posted:

I was indecisive and didn't order the Pro Max I wanted to when it was still showing in stock. Order for delivery currently shows 10/15-21, is there any chance stores will have stock before them (Los Angeles area, if that helps) or should I just order it?

The stores get deliveries every day. You could definitely get one local before that date.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Vegetable posted:

What's the next milestone for camera achievement? Portrait mode was big. Now it's night mode and maybe wide angle. They could add another lens I guess.But feels like the next leap will take at least two more generations.
Other than macro there’s some low hanging fruit that others have done: more zoom, more video stability (although the 11 already seems pretty drat good here), and video portrait mode. They could probably already to the last one to an extent considering the live preview of portrait mode, but maybe waiting on the depth sensor magic. And that thing itself could be used to assist focusing or AR or whatever wacky stuff.

mediaphage posted:

I don't expect it any time soon but I'm still kind of dreaming of a full faced SE.
I’ve given up on a new small phone and have moved my hopes to slightly smaller X phone with the 5.4" rumors.

mediaphage posted:

I find the web version much worse on iOS these days; either they're intentionally making it worse (which is right out of their playbook) to drive app adoption, or they've just filled it up with so much unnecessary cruft that it's bug-ridden. Using it on an iPad is an exercise in frustration, and I just stopped using Facebook rather than stooping to re-installing their app. Facebook is a nightmare.
I remember seeing something about their ads. The code was obfuscated to poo poo to make it hard to block them, like for text the individual letters or words would be broken out in separate divs and everything was just broken up in weird rear end ways to try to be unblockable.

For my new iPad I’ve been trying to go pretty lean and use web pages when possible instead of apps, but Facebook wasn’t one of them. It was fine for the most part except when I had to write something, in which case every space turned into two spaces, and I think caused some weird things with autocorrect. For a while I was doing space-delete after every word or composing in notes before pasting over (forget if that method had issues of its own) but eventually got sick of it and just downloaded the app.

breaks posted:

Kind of a shrug if you're trying to maximize your kickbacks but if the privacy and expenditure tracking stuff appeals to you then go for it.
Yeah that’s a good summary. None of my cards (that I’ve had forever) are particularly great on cash back so not a huge loss if I use it, but the tracking is nice. I plan to use it if I ever need to use a card at a questionable site, so if there's an unauthorized use I’ll know immediately.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

breaks posted:

I wanted another card for total credit limit reasons and was buying a new phone so I just got one. Signup is super easy through the app and all, the physical card is as nice as you'd expect but kind of useless since it's only 1%. I like that there's somewhat better privacy on it as far as them supposedly not auctioning your purchase deets off to the highest bidder. For me the only other thing I was considering was a travel card but it just didn't make too much sense with the yearly fees on most of those. I just use it wherever I can Apple pay and use whichever of my other two cards gets the best percentage elsewhere. All the stuff in the app with showing where you bought things and categories you spent money on and such is neat but doesn't really add much real value, at least not for me.

Yeah pretty much what I expected. Thanks for the feedback. The privacy/security aspect is a big selling point to me, so I may look into it. The integration with iOS & seamless aspect is nifty too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Krakkles posted:

Just place an order for the one you want.

Then every day however often you want just check Apple’s stock by going through the motions of ordering another phone. You can chose store pickup to see if any stores have that specific color/size in stock. If it does either make another order (and cancel the first one) or drive over and hope nobody grabbed it on your way there.

Worse case scenario nobody has stock and you get your phone in October. Best case scenario you get it sooner.

There’s also a website that checks stock automatically (istocknow?) but that site doesn’t load for me right now.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

FCKGW posted:

This is really unintuitive and nearly impossible to discover on your own

What was wrong with the old way?

The hardware for 3D Touch isn't in any of the new phones.

Honestly, much preferring a long press! The space bar thing is really the only gesture that changed AFAIK.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Minidust posted:

It’s pretty broken but it is possible to get it to work correctly enough. I’m on a 13 beta but this is what works for me:

In regular DND settings screen set silence to Always. While Driving inherits it’s behavior from regular DND for unknown reasons. I’ve submitted this as a bug because it’s stupid behavior.

Set DNDWD to activate automatically

Get in car, open up maps (I don’t use Waze but presumably this will work the same) and set your route and start driving

After the car has been moving a little bit, swipe down from the top and notifications will change into a single notification saying they’re not gonna come through while driving. Often this action is what kicks it in for some reason. Siri will also change so it doesn’t display anything on the screen.

Yes it’s stupid it has to work this way. It’s only been a feature for multiple years.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

astral posted:

Yeah the toll road here is expensive but it's worth it sometimes. I decide on a case by case basis, which is why I was pretty annoyed that my decision was swapped mid-route. Anyway I'm lucky enough that $20 isn't a big deal but I'm going to stick to Waze from here on out.

Definitely would love a setting in all these apps that could do a proper cost/time analysis because they all suggest taking the toll route here just to save a few minutes. Hamilton to Toronto on that road is like $30 (thanks Mike Harris you loving prick) so unless the free road is backed up it's a ripoff.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Was due an upgrade and pipped into the VZW store. Went from the SE to the base 11. I have no idea how to use a phone any more.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

prom candy posted:

Yeah the toll road here is expensive but it's worth it sometimes. I decide on a case by case basis, which is why I was pretty annoyed that my decision was swapped mid-route. Anyway I'm lucky enough that $20 isn't a big deal but I'm going to stick to Waze from here on out.

Definitely would love a setting in all these apps that could do a proper cost/time analysis because they all suggest taking the toll route here just to save a few minutes. Hamilton to Toronto on that road is like $30 (thanks Mike Harris you loving prick) so unless the free road is backed up it's a ripoff.

Are you talking about the 407 or something else, out of curiosity

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The only problem with maps offering some kind of cost/time analysis is that, in the US, if that cost/time is off by a single cent or whatever, they're still going to get sued because we're all great reasonable people. :911:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Was playing free form off of Apple Music when I noticed one of the new features- lyrics that auto scroll in step to the music!

I learned some lyrics I didn't know before, it's hilarious to watch it keep up with Now That We Found Love by Heavy D or see all the explicit lyrics in When the poo poo Goes Down by Castle Hill..

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I accidentally signed up for Verizon’s Asurion insurance when I bought my pro last week.

I can still cancel it and activate Apple care, I’m assuming this is totally the sane thing to do if I want some peace of mind?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Binary Badger posted:

Was playing free form off of Apple Music when I noticed one of the new features- lyrics that auto scroll in step to the music!

Yeah that's a new iOS 13 (not sure if it's only on 13) thing they flipped on today-ish.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

I accidentally signed up for Verizon’s Asurion insurance when I bought my pro last week.

I can still cancel it and activate Apple care, I’m assuming this is totally the sane thing to do if I want some peace of mind?

Don't keep Asurion insurance. Go AppleCare or if you REALLY want 3rd party insurance go to SquareTrade.

The only advantage carrier-provided insurance offered was theft/loss protection, but AppleCare has an option for that now too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Don't keep Asurion insurance. Go AppleCare or if you REALLY want 3rd party insurance go to SquareTrade.

The only advantage carrier-provided insurance offered was theft/loss protection, but AppleCare has an option for that now too.

I went ahead and cancelled for Apple care standard, knock on wood I’ve never lost a phone and don’t plan to. Apple care is 10 a month and Asurion was 15. Also the deductible for Asurion was like 2-3 hundred.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

enojy posted:

The hardware for 3D Touch isn't in any of the new phones.

Honestly, much preferring a long press! The space bar thing is really the only gesture that changed AFAIK.

This wasn’t a 3D Touch feature though, the little magnifying glass had been in phones for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

I went ahead and cancelled for Apple care standard, knock on wood I’ve never lost a phone and don’t plan to. Apple care is 10 a month and Asurion was 15. Also the deductible for Asurion was like 2-3 hundred.

Yeah, losing your phone would suck, but the advantage to being addicted to it is you almost never put it down.

Thefts happen, but are drastically lower since you can't do anything without a PIN. My kid has a habit of just leaving her phone nearby while she's playing basketball or doing something similar. All she's ever known are biometric locks so she has no fear of someone jacking her iPhone.