Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This one is a stretch, but I thought I'd put it down here anyway.

In the first, (and best. fight me!) Muppet Movie, Gonzo has an awesome song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryEjm3k6uY0.

Much much later in Muppets From Space, it is revealed that Gonzo is actually an alien.

Now before you know he is an alien, it is just a sweet, delicate, beautiful song. But once you know he is an alien, it could be read, (at a stretch as I said before), as him pining for his half remembered interstellar home.

BrigadierSensible has a new favorite as of 11:21 on Sep 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Jestery posted:

In S T A L K E R by tarkovsky

Around 50:05
https://youtu.be/Kgocncu6MBw

I implore you to look at the clip before despoilering,

in there is this scene that tracks up to a busted car, and peers through the window, frames the characters. But there is a bit of rubble that looks a bit like a gun, The whole thing has a mood of distrustworthyness and it sorta comes out of nowhere and makes you think there is an armed character stalking them.

It just caught me off guard and I was suckered into the movie

Fun fact, this film is what inspired Burning Man as we know it today

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BrigadierSensible posted:

This one is a stretch, but I thought I'd put it down here anyway.

In the first, (and best. fight me!) Muppet Movie, Gonzo has an awesome [url="https:////https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryEjm3k6uY0"]song[/url].

Much much later in Muppets From Space, it is revealed that Gonzo is actually an alien.

Now before you know he is an alien, it is just a sweet, delicate, beautiful song. But once you know he is an alien, it could be read, (at a stretch as I said before), as him pining for his half remembered interstellar home.

I'll fight you. Christmas Carol is the equal of the Muppet Movie for having the best Scrooge ever.
Treasure Island has the best music. Hans Zimmer gives a poo poo with the score and the songs are all bangers.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'll fight you. Christmas Carol is the equal of the Muppet Movie for having the best Scrooge ever.
Treasure Island has the best music. Hans Zimmer gives a poo poo with the score and the songs are all bangers.

Christmas Carol is great. Michael Caine was great, and has said it was one of his favorite roles. I also loved Tim Curry as Long John Silver. Honestly, I like just about anything the muppets do, I even enjoyed the TV show from a few years ago, which gave us this great scene https://youtu.be/3AZz9TSjZCM

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I love all this Muppet love and will not fight about it.

Just popping in to say Waldorf and Statler were great, and having them be Marley and Marley may not have been subtle but

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VsiKOJOXMJU

e: the subtle point is there's only one Marley in Dickens

His name is not Bob

BaldDwarfOnPCP has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Sep 22, 2019

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

My kids still shout 'hoity toity, Mr. Godlike Smarty-pants' randomly because of the Muppets CC and it warms my cold heart

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Christmas Carol is great. Michael Caine was great, and has said it was one of his favorite roles. I also loved Tim Curry as Long John Silver. Honestly, I like just about anything the muppets do, I even enjoyed the TV show from a few years ago, which gave us this great scene https://youtu.be/3AZz9TSjZCM

Even better is that in the Jason Segel Muppets movie from a few years ago, the off brand Moopets' drummer was "Animool" and was played by Dave Grohl in a bad Animal costume.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

couldcareless posted:

Even better is that in the Jason Segel Muppets movie from a few years ago, the off brand Moopets' drummer was "Animool" and was played by Dave Grohl in a bad Animal costume.

The greatest cinematic achievement of the 2010s is that movie somehow not being completely garbage. All the odds were against it, and it somehow prevailed and was a really good movie.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Cleretic posted:

The greatest cinematic achievement of the 2010s is that movie somehow not being completely garbage. All the odds were against it, and it somehow prevailed and was a really good movie.

It's sequel was also surprisingly good. The interrogation song was great.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My absolute favourite little thing about Muppet Christmas Carol, which is one of my favourite movies, is the decision to have Gonzo play the narrator and directly quote the book. The book is terrific and, unlike most Dickens, concise.

My second favourite thing is Rizzo saying "Thank you for making me a part of this" when Gonzo uses him as a window rag. I'm not hard to please.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I really like Gonzo as Charles Dickens interjecting with "Who did NOT die!" at the end

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

A friend once said that he had never seen Muppet Christmas Carol, and didn't plan to, because "it's just A Christmas Carol, but with Muppets. What's the point?"

From that day on I knew not to trust him

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Flint_Paper posted:

A friend once said that he had never seen Muppet Christmas Carol, and didn't plan to, because "it's just A Christmas Carol, but with Muppets. What's the point?"

A real friend would have put it on right then and there.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Flint_Paper posted:

:sever:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

A Muppet Family Christmas is the superior Muppet Xmas movie. Fight me.

Every December, me, my wife and our friends still watch a standard def vhs recording that I burned on a dvd with the best commercials 1987 had to offer.

Fake edit: we also drink heavily throughout :v:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cacafuego posted:

Every December, me, my wife and our friends still watch a standard def vhs recording that I burned on a dvd with the best commercials 1987 had to offer.

I do find 1987 commercials interesting.

Used to do a traditional drinking rewatch of betamaxmas.com (an old goon project) just for the ads and seeing Ole Ronnie give his super gone Xmas speech.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Cacafuego posted:

That sounds really fun and I think we'll have to adopt this tradition.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

Same, but my friend, myself, and significant others watch The Christmas Toy instead. It's horrible.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

IUG posted:

Same, but my friend, myself, and significant others watch The Christmas Toy instead. It's horrible.

Used to watch that too. Pixar blatantly ripped that off for $billions

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Posers in this thread not arguing over which version of The Muppet Christmas Carol is best. The one with or without "The Love is Gone" song sequence.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gejimayu posted:

Posers in this thread not arguing over which version of The Muppet Christmas Carol is best. The one with or without "The Love is Gone" song sequence.

it's uhhhhh not really much of a debate

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Straight White Shark posted:

it's uhhhhh not really much of a debate

It's more of a test to see if you're a replicant.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The best version is the one with the octopus in it.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

couldcareless posted:

The best version is the one with the octopus in it.

I was at an art show once, and there was a guy who had painted a skyline for Toledo, Ohio. In the river of that painting was a big octopus. When asked about it, the artist said that it was a reference to the Goonies, and went on to explain all about the deleted scene, and how there isn't an octopus in Toledo either, but this is his Goonies joke.

It wasn't a good joke/reference, but the painting was kinda cool.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I was watching the Goonies over the weekend (streaming on Hulu) and I still can't recall in my mind when we started stopped calling 4x4's SUV's instead of ORV's. It's so weird hearing Chunk crying about OVR's with bullet holes.

It was also an opportunity to point out to my kid which actor is which. "See that guy, he's Thanos. That other guy, the pudgy man dating the mom in Stranger Things. That girl, the mom in Raising Hope."

Which then devolved into bingeing on Raising Hope (also on Hulu).

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hate it when those Hulu advertisers get in here.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How the gently caress did Muppets in Space get made? It really seemed Disney was trying to do the Muppets justice with Christmas Carol and Treasure Island, but the space one killed them for more than a decade until Jason Segel pushed for Muppets movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How the gently caress did Muppets in Space get made? It really seemed Disney was trying to do the Muppets justice with Christmas Carol and Treasure Island, but the space one killed them for more than a decade until Jason Segel pushed for Muppets movie.

Disney didn't own the Muppets until 2004.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Aphrodite posted:

Disney didn't own the Muppets until 2004.

Are you sure? Of course I could be mistaken, but I thought they had licensing at least, if not ownership, as early as 1991 shortly after Henson's death, and it was Sesame Street that was the sore spot because Jim made it clear that he would never allow anyone to get access to it that would exploit it.

I'm going largely by the six-part Defunctland series that was posted over the last few months. I obviously could also be misremembering and/or misunderstanding a few things. I am slowly losing my mind.

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVoGf1JTVeI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_eOs_CSVas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5jJQ2IeDvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl4mlq6zAxw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Agx492B4FY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SfsynRHZK0

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Disney was in negotiations to buy them, but Jim's death ended those for a while. They did get a licensing deal for Muppets attractions (like Muppet Vision 3D) and distribution on Muppet productions though.

And then From Space was Sony.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, I see that now going back through the videos. As I said, I'm slowly losing my mind, I forgot, I apologize.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Push El Burrito posted:

Hate it when those Hulu advertisers get in here.

You know who really hates it? Gypsy in 'The Act', also streaming on Hulu.

I never actually watch Hulu so I only notice all the stuff when I accidentally click on the app. It's almost a Catch-22 situation currently streaming on Hulu. I should probably get around to canceling it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

And then From Space was Sony.

Suddenly all is clear

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Krispy Wafer posted:

You know who really hates it? Gypsy in 'The Act', also streaming on Hulu.

I never actually watch Hulu so I only notice all the stuff when I accidentally click on the app. It's almost a Catch-22 situation currently streaming on Hulu. I should probably get around to canceling it.

Don't be afraid of the dark. Come watch what we do in the shadows.

Edit: streaming on Hulu
Edit 2: gently caress

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So if Disney owned Muppets from 2004 onwards then they're responsible for those horrendous straight to DVD Muppet "movies" like their Wizard of Oz adaptation and the It's a Wonderful Life knockoff?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Disney is responsible for a whole poo poo load of direct to video sequels of dubious quality

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

beanieson posted:

Disney is responsible for a whole poo poo load of direct to video sequels of dubious quality

I mean that was their business plan for decades. Make a great animated movie to emotionally hook kids to the franchise then make cheap as hell DtV sequels that generated insane profit margins because “look mom, it’s Beauty and the Beast 2! Can I have it pleasepleasepleaseplease...”.

I’m not above it. I own multiple Tinkerbell movies because of this.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Promoted Pawn posted:

I mean that was their business plan for decades. Make a great animated movie to emotionally hook kids to the franchise then make cheap as hell DtV sequels that generated insane profit margins because “look mom, it’s Beauty and the Beast 2! Can I have it pleasepleasepleaseplease...”.

I’m not above it. I own multiple Tinkerbell movies because of this.

At least the Tinkerbell movies are interesting.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Frozen 2 comes out the day after Christmas here and I gotta tell you I am not looking forward to that shitshow. With two daughters aged 6 and 4 though, there's no way I'm avoiding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

At least the Tinkerbell movies are interesting.

They're not bad at all! They were the first CGI 'test runs' that John Lasseter did with Disney to get a feel for their capabilities. He got his feet wet on Princess and the Frog to see how Disney did things on the traditional animation/art direction side, and then Disney got their feet wet with him on the soft-launching of a digital Tinkerbell franchise to show everyone how he did things. Kinda cool.

Memento posted:

Frozen 2 comes out the day after Christmas here and I gotta tell you I am not looking forward to that shitshow. With two daughters aged 6 and 4 though, there's no way I'm avoiding it.

Do you want to drink a six-paaaack
Drive your car off of a briiiiidge

Pissed Ape Sexist has a new favorite as of 07:36 on Sep 24, 2019