Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tell them to watch planet with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Colonel posted:

tell them to watch planet with

I heard that was more juvenile than Spirit Circle, is that accurate?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Also, how about instead of “just like Spirit Circle” change the request to “short, complete series”. Maybe 10 volumes or less

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

icantfindaname posted:

Also, how about instead of “just like Spirit Circle” change the request to “short, complete series”. Maybe 10 volumes or less

I'd tell them to try other works by the same author (Satoshi Mizukami) first to see if it's his particular writing style, which would include the anime Spirit Circle, and the manga Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer and Sengoku Yōko.

If you're looking for completed shonen (action) series, most of them aren't shorter than 10 volumes unless they got a rushed/cancelled ending, which is never satisfying. There are plenty of concise manga in other genres though, or even standalone works. Is it being action oriented mandatory?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't read the whole thing yet but Black Torch is 5 volumes and what I had read up to was pretty close to the end and it felt like it was moving toward an actual end not an abrupt cutoff (but I can't completely vouch for that as I haven't had a chance to sit down and do a full read of it since buying the volumes).

I know this is kind of a lovely recommendation but the art is seriously really cool and it always seemed like an overlooked gem to me. It's got ninjas and supernatural creatures and the main character has a cat for a partner what's not to love!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

So I gave my copy of Spirit Circle to someone to read and they loved it and now want more recommendations.

Do you have any specifics as to why they loved Spirit Circle and why they didn't like the other things they watched?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

icantfindaname posted:

I heard that was more juvenile than Spirit Circle, is that accurate?

it has a few dumb jokes but basically no more than any other mizukami thing and the main plot and cast are really cool

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Takemitsuzamurai

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ookami Shounen if your friend wants a romdramedy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

icantfindaname posted:

Battle angel alita

If they really like it they can move on to Last Order and Martian Chronicles, but the original is fantastic at 9 volumes, although the ending is a little weird

The entire first series can be read on comixology via their monthly subscription thing

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Julias posted:

Is it being action oriented mandatory?

No

Nipponophile posted:

Do you have any specifics as to why they loved Spirit Circle and why they didn't like the other things they watched?

It sounded like they had read cyberpunk stuff like GITS and also historical fiction stuff like Otoyomegatari, recommended by other people. I think they just turn out to like shonen melodrama actually, so I’m looking for shonen series that are of a finite length basically. I also told them to read MHA, but they also mentioned at one point finding the unending type of series intimidating, hence trying to find short ones

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 24, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Zatch Bell is a finished shonen, it doesn't do anything groundbreaking but it does polish the shonen tropes to a mirror sheen and has some really just fantastic characters and special attacks. The anime doesn't actually finish, it ends one arc before the actual final arc, and the series ends extremely well. Can't remember the exact length but it is complete and a great shonen, it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
IF they like compact shonen melodrama Assassination Classroom isn't a bad read.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nipponophile posted:

How about Nodame Cantabile for its look at the professional music world?

Or, from the same author, that series about overclocking PCs.

Captain Invictus posted:

Zatch Bell is a finished shonen, it doesn't do anything groundbreaking but it does polish the shonen tropes to a mirror sheen and has some really just fantastic characters and special attacks. The anime doesn't actually finish, it ends one arc before the actual final arc, and the series ends extremely well. Can't remember the exact length but it is complete and a great shonen, it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Zatch Bell's biggest stength, in my opinion, is that it has some genuinely great humor with its own very unique sort of tone.

edit: It also has a pretty unique protagonist as far as shounen protagonists go (though in this case it's more that there's a protagonist pair, but I'm referring to the human guy)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3b8FBtvJAc

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
FINALLY started watching Legends of the Galactic Heroes or w/e after dodging constant recommendations for it since i was just too turned off by old anime aesthetic
Pretty dope poo poo, it's hard not to see its influence in a shitload of (far shittier) anime. Like Code Geass for example.
My only concern is keeping track of faces, the OP has like what seems like 14 pretty similar generic white dudes shimmer by (thank god some of them have mustaches or weird hair)

Also the dude's loving red and blue party eyes in ep 4 had me laughing and guffawing. Ditto the national anthem of the Free Planets Alliance. 😂

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The important characters all have either different hair colors, different outfits, or both. Also just generally the faces are more consistent and different from one another than a lot of later anime.

Show is dope and it's too bad other shows don't go whole hog on having a pseudo historical fiction narrative.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
code geass is ftw

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
code geass is good in a very different way

Also don't worry about distinguishing characters in logh, if you spend more than one episode away from a certain person they'll be reintroduced with a little subtitle

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The Colonel posted:

code geass is ftw

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah i didnt mean to poo poo on it too hard, pretty fun overall.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Any recommendations for stories similar to Bones of an Invisible Person? I like that it's a dark story about trauma but is essentially about healing. I can think of Flowers of Evil, I'm Inside Mari, and pretty much all of Inio Asano's stories (though they're often not really about healing as much as descent into madness).

Speaking of which, did anyone watch that Flowers of Evil anime that came out years ago? It had the weird rotoscoping and the spooky Drakengard 1 style horrible abomination of an ending theme.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The Voynich Hotel and other manga by Dowman Sayman, like Nickelodeon and Melancholia.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Cephas posted:

Any recommendations for stories similar to Bones of an Invisible Person? I like that it's a dark story about trauma but is essentially about healing. I can think of Flowers of Evil, I'm Inside Mari, and pretty much all of Inio Asano's stories (though they're often not really about healing as much as descent into madness).

Speaking of which, did anyone watch that Flowers of Evil anime that came out years ago? It had the weird rotoscoping and the spooky Drakengard 1 style horrible abomination of an ending theme.

Some of Yamashita Tomoko's works might be what you are after Hibari no Asa Hanaizawa-chou Kouminkan-dayori and White Note Pad if you like Inio Asano, Dowman's already been mentioned but I'd like to give a shout out to Abe Youichi Daidai wa, Hantoumei ni Nidone Suru and Sore wa Tada no Senpai no Chinko

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
If you like fairies and other weird happenings I would recommend “Humanity has Declined”

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone recommended I watch princess tutu, does anyone know anything about it? I'd rather not get into something if it's like that goblin one.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Princess Tutu is good fun Magical Girl anime DRAMA involving dancing and Duck's. It's real good so give it a watch

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the only streaming version is the bad dub though....

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Turtlicious posted:

Someone recommended I watch princess tutu, does anyone know anything about it? I'd rather not get into something if it's like that goblin one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHZqxecCukg

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Princess Tutu AMVs strike me as kind of weird when the soundtrack is kind of perfect for making them by itself

Also it's v. good.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Princess Tutu can never not have it's praises sung. It's got fun and drama and classical music. Win-win-win.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Also spooky crow magic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

if you mean goblin slayer, lol

princess tutu is a show that'd be appropriate for a 4 year old while simultaneously having a lot of cool themes about storytelling, ballet, how people are pushed into good/bad roles, etc. it's also really striking visually and has a lot of great sequences set to classical ballet music. it's a fun watch, the only people I wouldn't recommend it to are people who'd get really hung up on the character designs being kinda cute, but I'd never call it immature in terms of writing. And even visually the simple designs let them do some fun expression work and have them animate really smoothly.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

the only streaming version is the bad dub though....

The dub I watched was pretty good unless there’s more than one :confused:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The over age cat desperately wants to marry the preteen girls.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

assuming that's even an accurate read, it just sounds like classic fairy tale stuff that tutu is definitely in line with

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

The over age cat desperately wants to marry the preteen girls.
its not framed in a threatening, sexual, or serious way

and also hes a giant cat

its just a surreal gag

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I don't want to bump a largely dead thread so I'll just ask if Granbelm is worth a watch 'cause I need some mecha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Oh Snapple! posted:

I don't want to bump a largely dead thread so I'll just ask if Granbelm is worth a watch 'cause I need some mecha.

it's cool

if you mostly want good mecha fights the early ones can be a bit messy but they get better as the show goes on and the story itself is neat

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 21, 2019