Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1176188193647075328?s=20

Everybody on the internet is batshit or paid to be that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Well I’ve known that for three years now. It wasn’t hard to figure out, since Hillary received so many more votes.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1176188193647075328?s=20

Everybody on the internet is batshit or paid to be that way.

:actually: superdelegates are a small fraction of the total delegates :smug:

There, that's the paper.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
whoever did carry on wayward son is the best old guy rock band

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i also like simple man, whoever did that can be number 2

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

whoever did carry on wayward son is the best old guy rock band

That would be Kansas

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Black Sabbath is old enough to be old man rock now just an fyi

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Interesting how whenever we make space for Pete to move left, he moves left.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Calibanibal posted:

Interesting how whenever we make space for Pete to move left, he moves left.

Or does he?
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1176258790225797120

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Slave revolt John Brown?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

Slave revolt John Brown?

It's Pete Buttigieg, what do you think?
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1176259589089693697

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Its obvious that Ben Jacobs didn't make any space for Pete to move left. Unsurprising, considering the limited space typical of a campaign bus

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
We can have both private health insurance and an expanded role for government, brought to you by the darling Clinton shills unbiased leadership of the American Federation of Teachers.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Luckyellow posted:

I'm always so amazed at how cheap every single group or politicians will sell themselves out for.

I assume it's just another nice side benefit of drowning workers in debt. Makes it cheaper and easier to buy people off.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

twodot posted:

Sanders has to pick one of two narratives 1) I spent 28 years shouting into the abyss earning 6 figures from tax payer dollars to accomplish nothing or 2) I spent 28 years advocating for good things while also carefully working with entrenched power to achieve limited goals wherever possible.
edit:
Just objectively Sanders is not an outsider. He has spent 3 decades in some of the most powerful political positions, and that isn't a bad thing. It's just not true that he is running with a perspective untainted by the day to day politics of politicians.

This is just nonsense. He is viewed as an outsider precisely because he has been fighting against the current all that time.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/hell_babey/status/1176269360219992065

weird how this keeps happening

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Office Pig posted:

:actually: superdelegates are a small fraction of the total delegates :smug:

There, that's the paper.

Most of the people reading this think that "being in a published paper" means "is an incontestable fact." It's basically a religious view of academia as "the place from which facts are spawned."

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Of course Buttigieg is a CCR fan, his appeal to the working class is as fake as John Fogerty's southern accent

e: at least we know Beto would say At The Drive In is the greatest American band of all time and that's a better answer than CCR

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

What does "a progressive" mean in an 1840s-1850s context? IT seems like an anachronism to talk about anyone pre, say, 1880 as a "progressive". And Brown was almost entirely focused on abolitionism and and the establishment of black communities and businesses. His only real political activity outside of that was an attempt, as a sheep farmer, to break a Massachusetts textile cartel.

This isn't a comment on Brown as a person or the morality of his actions, jut that he wasn't a progressive.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Epicurius posted:

What does "a progressive" mean in an 1840s-1850s context? IT seems like an anachronism to talk about anyone pre, say, 1880 as a "progressive". And Brown was almost entirely focused on abolitionism and and the establishment of black communities and businesses. His only real political activity outside of that was an attempt, as a sheep farmer, to break a Massachusetts textile cartel.

This isn't a comment on Brown as a person or the morality of his actions, jut that he wasn't a progressive.
Yeah the term 'progressive' didn't really become a thing until Teddy Roosevelt, as far as I am aware

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean, no? Teddy didn't invent the term 'progressive', he just branded it and aligned his supporters under it. Brown was for sure a progressive figure, in that abolition of slavery at all cost was, ya know, pretty loving progressive for American black people?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, no? Teddy didn't invent the term 'progressive', he just branded it and aligned his supporters under it. Brown was for sure a progressive figure, in that abolition of slavery at all cost was, ya know, pretty loving progressive for American black people?

This feels like a retroactive branding using contemporary terms onto historical movements.

Abolitionists wanted abolition, flat out, they didn't want progress towards abolition.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I think the problem is that labeling people "progressive" or "not progressive" is kinda dumb. A single person can believe multiple things, and "progressive" is already an extremely broad and vague term.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'd say that the term "progressive" itself is inherently obstructionist because it implies that a step towards something is acceptable and worth compromising for.

"Progress towards" a habitable planet is unacceptable. We must pursue that goal with reckless abandon because the alternative is mass death.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'd say that the term "progressive" itself is inherently obstructionist because it implies that a step towards something is acceptable and worth compromising for.

"Progress towards" a habitable planet is unacceptable. We must pursue that goal with reckless abandon because the alternative is mass death.

weren't you just talking about retroactive applications? Do you think, as lovely as he was in other elements, when Teddy first branded it as a political party he meant 'well maybe soon we'll do poo poo like breaking up monopolies' and he just blundered into getting it done?

I mean by that logic being an abolitionist was also obstructionist, because what good is 'just abolishing slavery' if Brown didn't also want legal equality and reparations for the enslaved, which he totally didn't because he didn't call himself an abolitionist and...reparationsist I guess?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/QueenInYeIIow/status/1176327076250628096

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Bernie should really highlight this at the next debate.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Judakel posted:

Bernie should really highlight this at the next debate.

Yes, Bernie famously hones in on weaknesses of Democrat competitors and viciously attacks. Real show no mercy guy, that Bernie Sanders. Not at all a broke brain take.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pander posted:

Yes, Bernie famously hones in on weaknesses of Democrat competitors and viciously attacks. Real show no mercy guy, that Bernie Sanders. Not at all a broke brain take.

You can think he should do something at the same time you expect that he won't do it.

Here's Bernie's: https://www.cfr.org/article/bernie-sanders

He's so, so much better on foreign policy issues, it's just night and day.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

King of Solomon posted:

You can think he should do something at the same time you expect that he won't do it.

That's a good point, but I wasn't expecting that nuance from judaELIZABETHWARRENISSATANkel.

king of solomon posted:

Here's Bernie's: https://www.cfr.org/article/bernie-sanders

He's so, so much better on foreign policy issues, it's just night and day
Agreed there too.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I didn't see a "night and day difference" between those two sets of responses. Seems like most of their summaries were comparable.

Also, attended a Bernie rally in OK this weekend and it was awesome. He wore an OU hat :unsmith:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Midgetskydiver posted:

I didn't see a "night and day difference" between those two sets of responses. Seems like most of their summaries were comparable.

Also, attended a Bernie rally in OK this weekend and it was awesome. He wore an OU hat :unsmith:

Warren comes off as a huge war hawk, explicitly condemned Palestinians without even so much as acknowledging Israel's bad behavior, endorsed a regime change narrative in Venezuela, completely ignored what South Koreans want with respect to negotiations with North Korea, and put in preconditions to re-establishing the Iran deal, as if they're the bad actor in that scenario. Warren's answers were extremely bad, and Bernie's were generally pretty good.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

sexpig by night posted:

Brown was for sure a progressive figure, in that abolition of slavery at all cost was, ya know, pretty loving progressive for American black people?

But "progressive" doesn't just mean "support things I like" or "making things better for people". The Progressive movement was an actual movement that wanted to regulate industry by mandating consumer protections, improved conditions for workers, some sort of social safety net and assistance to the poor, slum clearance, and so on. It doesn't become a political term until then, and when it does, it refers to a certain set of ideas (and maybe ironically, something Progressives didn't really care much about was the issue of civil rights.)

And I would say that the American reformers in the 1890s (although not so much Teddy Roosevelt, who joined an already existing movement) pretty much did invent the term progressive, at least when you're talking about it as a political term. You don't see the term used a lot politically before then. In the 1850s and 1860s, "progressive" was mostly being used religiously in Christianity, for a doctrine called "progressive revelation"...that the moral law in the Bible developed as humanity became more civilized and was better able to understand God.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pander posted:

I said he should. Why can't you read?

Pander posted:

That's a good point, but I wasn't expecting that nuance from judaELIZABETHWARRENISSATANkel.

Ah, so you're just a moron then. Elizabeth Warren being a lovely candidate is a nuanced take, by the way.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Office Pig posted:

I'd actually say it's pretty obvious what the desk troop who covered up murders and promoted white supremacy within the police force wants to replace neoliberalism with.

Pete Buttigieg is the American Ernst Rohm, aka gay Nazi: -https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Röhm

tylersayten fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 24, 2019

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

HootTheOwl posted:

Was this still in doubt? They refuse to give Sanders any meaningful air time or any poll that shows him winning. They learned their lesson from Trump: don't give the guy you don't like free air time.

Trump is good for ratings :tinfoil:

Lol, they didn't learn a lesson from Trump. They know what they're doing and they knew what they were doing in '15-16.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Pete is like a living galaxy brain; I can only imagine he simply repeats agendas that were handed to him because every time he becomes unmoored from his stump he endorses rejecting his own agenda.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bernie should say Trump probably doesn't have enough wealth to worry about his newly proposed wealth tax

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/GunnelsWarren/status/1176472589902012416?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1176478192196083712