Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
https://twitter.com/quantamagazine/status/1175155679700668421

If google has it the NSA has it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
the sad fact about quantum computers is that they're a game-changer but are going to be so expensive that only huge corporations and governments can afford to use them

moore's law does not apply to quantum computing

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

When is it going to come out that it was just a whole bunch of third world slaves with TI-84s?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean now that we have it I guess we could theoretically start seeing massive leaps in drug creation and nanomechanics?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Grapplejack posted:

I mean now that we have it I guess we could theoretically start seeing massive leaps in drug creation and nanomechanics?

i think you mean massive leaps in ad targeting and data mining!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It finally found out why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Can a regular computer confirm the quantum computer's results or did they just build something that they have no idea if it worked or not?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Cactus Jack posted:

Can a regular computer confirm the quantum computer's results or did they just build something that they have no idea if it worked or not?
Roughly, a classical computer can verify that it is a valid result, but not that it is the optimal solution (e: in a reasonable timeframe).

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
a lot of those Big Computing Issues are hard to solve/easy to verify, yeah. it's how cryptography even works.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

If it’s breaking public/private key encryption, its hard to do without the private key, but trivial to verify if you do have the private key.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Local cop tells me not to walk up my own hill to home!(wv) (self.legaladvice)

Local pd were just here not long ago telling me that me walking home was an issue. Apparently I am scaring kids in the morning walking home from work. I have no other option when I am being dropped off by other means of transportation. I ask the cop as to what I should do. His response? Stay back tell the kids get on the bus and/or find another alternate route. There is just one route up and down. The cop then proceeds to tell me that unless I want an order of protection placed against me from their parents that I need to find another way! What do I do? I dont drive a car due to PTSD issues. I have a lot of mental health issues including hellish depression and anxiety. This is bogus. All I was doing was walking home! Help!

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/d85nyg/local_cop_tells_me_not_to_walk_up_my_own_hill_to/

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

No, they've brought back word processors.

It's still an improvement over typewriters; no paper, no ink ribbon, no correction tape/fluid, but it is still an old idea.

Word processors were a specific thing before Microsoft Word and Works and Clarisworks and so forth.

Typewriters are way better. Absolute tanks of beautiful machinery that’ll outlive you and your kids with minimal upkeep, physical engagement in the act of writing, and you create an object, a stack is paper, something real instead of a bunch of digital ephemera. They’re more high effort but higher reward, and they are themselves better made objects than about anything being made today. They work with no power, and an ink ribbon will probably outlast any piece of electronics you own.

We’re gonna be writing our novels in the wasteland on old Smith-Coronas. Nobody gives a poo poo about word processors, but typewriters still provide something no other digitized writing machine can. Plus they’re cheap and fun to collect.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
yeah but if i keysmash on a typewriter all the little letter arm thingies get jammed up together, checkmate

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

goatsestretchgoals posted:

If it’s breaking public/private key encryption, its hard to do without the private key, but trivial to verify if you do have the private key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUPstXCqyus

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Cactus Jack posted:

ya, it just takes a long time. the idea is that you make the chip big enough to do something slightly interesting (albeit not at all useful), but small enough so that if you’re google you can spend a month and the power output of a small city to verify the result.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fomo sacer posted:

ya, it just takes a long time. the idea is that you make the chip big enough to do something slightly interesting (albeit not at all useful), but small enough so that if you’re google you can spend a month and the power output of a small city to verify the result.

or about 18 seconds worth of global cryptocurrency mining energy usage.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

enderjaca
377 points ·
18 hours ago

There must be some major things left out of this story. Police don't just randomly harass people walking for no specific reason.

:shobon:

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Powershift posted:

or about 18 seconds worth of global cryptocurrency mining energy usage.

comparing anything to cryptocurrency is basically cheating, given that the waste heat alone from operating the bitcoin network is on the order of like a dozen nuclear bombs per day

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

enderjaca
377 points ·
18 hours ago

There must be some major things left out of this story. Police don't just randomly harass people walking for no specific reason.

police note: non-whites aren't people

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cowpocalypse posted:

the sad fact about quantum computers is that they're a game-changer but are going to be so expensive that only huge corporations and governments can afford to use them

moore's law does not apply to quantum computing

they will NEVER shrink below the size of a barn!! Impossible! there's too many vaccuum tubes!!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bring back old gbs posted:

they will NEVER shrink below the size of a barn!! Impossible! there's too many vaccuum tubes!!

Five by five nanometres is a quarter of a trillion barns, so I’m going to say that that is correct, computers will never be smaller than a uranium atom.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
imo computers will get BIGGER over time

Tiler Kiwi posted:

any hard ai produced is going to be born in the image of silicon valley sociopaths and in the service of capitalism. it will not make you a pet, it will hook up your brain into a pain inducing psycho network of all remaining human minds, after it discovers endless arbitrary torture increases engagement factors
Youtube already figured this out, apparently thumbs up/thumbs down are completely irrelevant and all it sees are the clicks and it counts 100% of them as positive when it comes to promoting content

bring back old gbs has issued a correction as of 11:15 on Sep 24, 2019

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
any hard ai produced is going to be born in the image of silicon valley sociopaths and in the service of capitalism. it will not make you a pet, it will hook up your brain into a pain inducing psycho network of all remaining human minds, after it discovers endless arbitrary torture increases engagement factors

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

rokos basilisk but capitalism

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Kitfox88 posted:

rokos basilisk but capitalism
Roko's Capitalist

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
actually it will turn out AIs can only be "budded" off of extant minds and you have to hook up a ton of probes and poo poo to a human brain. Also the AIs are dumbasses like us.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

enderjaca
377 points ·
18 hours ago

/legaladvice mods are almost entirely cops or former cops (seriously, literally cops, not just insulting them). they quickly delete any posts that suggest going to the media, any posts that link to news stories of illegal police actions, and any posts that point out that the cops are bastards who have fun loving with people. if you change the ‘r’ in reddit links to ‘c’, a lot of the deleted posts show up, try it to get nice and angry!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

If google has it the NSA has it

Hahaha what do you think this is, the 50's? All the big tech companies have dozens of black sites working on hundreds of secret projects. They absolutely have access to experimental technologies that are completely unique and off the books.

Most of them will never see the light of day because they only get additional funding if they can show 10x returns on investment or better.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Oh here's one:

In 2014, pursuant to an agreement between Mastercard and the Nigerian Government, acting through the National Identity Management Commission, the new Nigerian ID cards will bear the Mastercard logo, contain personal database data and double as payment cards, irrevocably linking such payments to the individuals, sparking criticism by the Civil Rights Congress alleging that it "represents a stamped ownership of a Nigerian by an American company ... reminiscent of the logo pasted on the bodies of African slaves transported across the Atlantic."

Here's what your ID card looks like in Nigeria:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

holy gently caress, Master Card?????

a little on the nose, reality authors

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Peanut Butler posted:

holy gently caress, Master Card?????

a little on the nose, reality authors
I mean, American Express, Visa, Discovery, all very problematic if you think about it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/23/20880209/nerf-ultra-one-blaster-foam-darts-120-feet-incompatible-ammo-drm-date-price

quote:

But the new blasters come with a catch: DRM for darts, it sounds like! “If the blaster detects an incompatible dart in the drum, it won’t fire and will skip to the next chamber,” writes The Wall Street Journal. A Hasbro executive told the publication that existing darts were just too easy to copy, and it’s got patents pending on the new Ultra foam.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Que the new supremacy of BARF, the Chinese toy gun that shoots foam darts -without drm-

what the hell did i just write

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Powered Descent posted:

I've always wanted to spend a night in a coffin-hotel like that, just for the experience.

I have no desire to live in one, though.

Even in the dark your brain gets strong auditory cues that the walls are quite close to your face from the way your breath reverbs off them. Much like cupping your hands and putting them on your ears.

Drives me nuts, I need to face open space to feel like I can breath. I don't mind the capsules that are length-wise, and you enter like a bunk bed. These are just coffins

maybe I've got the 'tism

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Que the new supremacy of BARF, the Chinese toy gun that shoots foam darts -without drm-

what the hell did i just write

More like NERD gun

Which is just nerf but the firmware hacked

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

check out this actual video game’s actual developers https://store.steampowered.com/app/1121910/I_Love_You_Colonel_Sanders_A_Finger_Lickin_Good_Dating_Simulator/

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is8eXZco46Q

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

For once I'm glad people in the US fight against federal ID cards because they fear the Mark of the Beast, because this is the Mark of the Beast.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

This is just the VR nightmare social media we've always thought we wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

I guess everyone hovers without legs so that Zucc can fake being tall?