Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Boxturret posted:

9700 rounds up to 10000 it's fine

ah yes, 9700.999999999999998

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Hmm.

MOON

M = latin for 1000
OO = 00
N = numeric

so the moon symbolizes 100000, meaning bitcoin is 10% of the way to the moon

:wrong:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
the developers of the popular kik instant messenger are shutting the service down and laying off most of the staff in order to better focus on getting hosed until they can't walk by the SEC over their crypto currency named after a failed microsoft phone

quote:

Two years ago we set out to build a new economy that offered equal opportunity to billions of people. Today millions of consumers and hundreds of developers have come together to build this better future with Kin. When it comes to consumer adoption Kin is the most used cryptocurrency in the world. By far.

But all is not well.

After 18 months of working with the SEC the only choice they gave us was to either label Kin a security or fight them in court. Becoming a security would kill the usability of any cryptocurrency and set a dangerous precedent for the industry. So with the SEC working to characterize almost all cryptocurrencies as securities we made the decision to step forward and fight.

While we are ready to take on the SEC in court, we underestimated the tactics they would employ. How they would take our quotes out of context to manipulate the public to view us as bad actors. How they would pressure exchanges not to list Kin. And how they would draw out a long and expensive process to drain our resources.

Instead of selling some of our Kin into the limited liquidity that exists today, we made the decision to focus our current resources on the few things that matter most. So today we are announcing three things:
1.) We will shut down the Kik app
2.) We will reduce our headcount to an elite 19 person team
3.) We will focus on one thing: converting Kin users into Kin buyers

These are hard decisions. Kik is one of the largest apps in the US. It has industry leading engagement and is growing again. Over 100 employees and their families will be impacted. People who have poured their hearts and souls into Kik and Kin for over a decade.

Together these changes will drop our burn rate by eighty five percent, putting us in position to get through the SEC trial with the resources we have.

But no matter what happens to Kik, Kin is here to stay. Kin operates on an open, decentralized infrastructure run by a dozen independent companies. Kin is a currency used by millions of people in dozens of independent apps. So while the SEC might be able to push us around, taking on the broader Kin Ecosystem will be a much bigger fight. And the Ecosystem is close to adding a lot more firepower.

Today most cryptocurrencies rely on speculative demand from exchanges to fuel their crypto business models. But Kin isn’t available on most exchanges, so we can’t rely on speculative demand. Instead we need to become the first project that creates real demand by getting people to buy Kin to use it. Achieving this will open up a never-before seen source of demand that will be available to everyone in the Kin Ecosystem.

We are close. Kin has over 2,000,000 monthly active earners, and 600,000 monthly active spenders. While losing Kik will have a big impact on these numbers, the continued growth of the Kin Ecosystem has more than made up for it.

Going forward our 19 person team will be focused on one goal: getting millions of people to buy Kin to use it. We aim to achieve this goal by executing a three part strategy:
1.) Moving the Kin blockchain forward to support a billion consumers making a dozen transactions a day with sub 1 second confirmation times
2.) Accelerating the adoption, growth, and success of all developers in the Kin Ecosystem
3.) Building a mobile wallet that makes it easy to buy Kin, exciting to use Kin, and seamless to explore the Kin Ecosystem

We are all in. And despite these hard decisions my confidence in Kin only continues to grow. Together we will show the power of the Kin Ecosystem. Together we will get millions of people to buy Kin to use it. And together we will build a new economy that offers equal opportunity to billions of people. Together we will win.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The Kins posted:

While we are ready to take on the SEC in court

:allears:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
But have they considered what will it do to omegle???

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Also the rest of that article is extremely creepy/propaganda sounding, more so than the original self organizing collective intelligence article :yikes:

quote:

Today most cryptocurrencies rely on speculative demand from exchanges to fuel their crypto business models. But Kin isn’t available on most exchanges, so we can’t rely on speculative demand. Instead we need to become the first project that creates real demand by getting people to buy Kin to use it. Achieving this will open up a never-before seen source of demand that will be available to everyone in the Kin Ecosystem.

We are close. Kin has over 2,000,000 monthly active earners, and 600,000 monthly active spenders. While losing Kik will have a big impact on these numbers, the continued growth of the Kin Ecosystem has more than made up for it.

Going forward our 19 person team will be focused on one goal: getting millions of people to buy Kin to use it. We aim to achieve this goal by executing a three part strategy:

Moving the Kin blockchain forward to support a billion consumers making a dozen transactions a day with sub 1 second confirmation times
Accelerating the adoption, growth, and success of all developers in the Kin Ecosystem
Building a mobile wallet that makes it easy to buy Kin, exciting to use Kin, and seamless to explore the Kin Ecosystem

We are all in. And despite these hard decisions my confidence in Kin only continues to grow. Together we will show the power of the Kin Ecosystem. Together we will get millions of people to buy Kin to use it. And together we will build a new economy that offers equal opportunity to billions of people. Together we will win.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

That's amazing. Kik is like perhaps the one example of a semi-competent cryptorelated project (though still full of child abuse), but they're killing the part that works to focus on the part that's worthless, especially without the messenger app.

I don't remember if anyone posted that time pedophiles murdered a 13 year old girl after grooming her on Kik.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2017/08/03/kik-has-a-massive-child-abuse-problem/#75dbc31a1a14

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

3.) We will focus on one thing: converting Kin users into Kin buyers
lol wat

"instead of using our cryptocurrency, just buy more"

sounds legit. no idea why the sec is so grouchy

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
LuffaRobertRoundPant
redditor for 2 days
5 points
·
15 hours ago
·
edited 13 hours ago
I’m an idiot...I was still in bed and wasn’t thinking.

Edit: So I know this needs a better explanation than "I'm an idiot", so here we go:

A little background. I've been into crypto since BTC was about $20.00. I've obviously had the opportunity to become filthy rich but have never been smart about it. In the beginning, I treated BTC as currency and bought stuff from Black Arrow miners (yes, another mistake)to RaspberryPis.

It starts off with being under a continuous and overwhelming amount of stress. It has affected me in not thinking clearly and making poor decisions. Even mid-day...it really fucks with me.

So I woke up early in bed and couldn't get back to sleep before work. I'm sure my alcohol consumption also attributes to my poor sleeping and judgment, so yeah theirs that too.....ooof.

I'm laying in bed...just woke up and found this post on r/space where I saw the twitter post by "Elon Musk". I don't twitter so I wasn't aware of the scam and Oprah gives out cars, why not Elon? Still not awake, I did the whole .5 at once. Anyone in their right mind would have done way way way less or NONE AT ALL being realistic about the situation. What an idiot....I knew deep down it wasn't true and even thought, "if it's too good to be true..." at the time but did it anyway and I don't know why. The poor English in the post, the url...all the signs are there but I did not listen to them.

Probably one of the worst mistakes in my life to date.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
gotta love the ego protecting itself with justifications like "Oprah gives out cars to her audience of a couple hundred people or so, so Elon Musk might give away money to randos on Twitter (but only after they send him money first)"

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
shitcoin

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Has anyone called it BADcoin, yet?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

ltugo posted:

A little background. I've been into crypto since BTC was about $20.00. I've obviously had the opportunity to become filthy rich but have never been smart about it. In the beginning, I treated BTC as currency and bought stuff from Black Arrow miners (yes, another mistake)to RaspberryPis.

hmm... i wonder if that's the reason there have been no sightings of the mythic "bought at ten cents and hodlded for a decade" bitcoin multibillionaire

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ltugo posted:

LuffaRobertRoundPant
redditor for 2 days
5 points
·
15 hours ago
·
edited 13 hours ago
I’m an idiot...I was still in bed and wasn’t thinking.

Edit: So I know this needs a better explanation than "I'm an idiot", so here we go:

It starts off with being under a continuous and overwhelming amount of stress. It has affected me in not thinking clearly and making poor decisions. Even mid-day...it really fucks with me.

So I woke up early in bed and couldn't get back to sleep before work. I'm sure my alcohol consumption also attributes to my poor sleeping and judgment, so yeah theirs that too.....ooof.

I'm laying in bed...just woke up and found this post on r/space where I saw the twitter post by "Elon Musk". I don't twitter so I wasn't aware of the scam and Oprah gives out cars, why not Elon? Still not awake, I did the whole .5 at once. Anyone in their right mind would have done way way way less or NONE AT ALL being realistic about the situation. What an idiot....I knew deep down it wasn't true and even thought, "if it's too good to be true..." at the time but did it anyway and I don't know why. The poor English in the post, the url...all the signs are there but I did not listen to them.

Probably one of the worst mistakes in my life to date.

how are bitcoiners so stupid that they keep falling for this, how is anyone this stupid, how do they remember to breathe ffs :psyduck:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

but by far the stupidest thing the guy did was using bitcoin. like as a currency

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Boxturret posted:

hmm... i wonder if that's the reason there have been no sightings of the mythic "bought at ten cents and hodlded for a decade" bitcoin multibillionaire
You mean the Twinkletoe twins?

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
the bitcoin blockchain is probably the greatest "sucker list" of all time

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
RaspberryPiss

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Little Death posted:

That's amazing. Kik is like perhaps the one example of a semi-competent cryptorelated project (though still full of child abuse), but they're killing the part that works to focus on the part that's worthless, especially without the messenger app.

I don't remember if anyone posted that time pedophiles murdered a 13 year old girl after grooming her on Kik.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2017/08/03/kik-has-a-massive-child-abuse-problem/#75dbc31a1a14

3 paragraphs in i was :stare: irl

edit::stonk:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The Little Death posted:

Midjack posted:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

The Little Death posted:

Kik is like perhaps the one example of a semi-competent cryptorelated project [...] pedophiles murdered a 13 year old girl after grooming her on Kik.

bitcoin

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
bitcoin. not even once

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
friends dont let friends trade bitcoin

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Midjack posted:

fuckin :same:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The kin thing is weird because it's infected the forums software that powers the footy forum I read, so get popups from tapatalk encouraging me to accept free kin. I wonder what the tax situation will be for people who accept it.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

jre posted:

The kin thing is weird because it's infected the forums software that powers the footy forum I read, so get popups from tapatalk encouraging me to accept free kin. I wonder what the tax situation will be for people who accept it.

the tax situation for people who accept it into their hearts/finances will undoubtedly be, like all things bittcoin, extremely excellent

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
if for some dumb reason you want to watch buttcoin bounce around in a terminal point your telnet or nc or whatever to 107.170.255.100:9999

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
tapatalk gobbling up all the old free boards was vile enough, didn't know about the pedo coin pushing

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sham bam bamina! posted:

tapatalk gobbling up all the old free boards was vile enough, didn't know about the pedo coin pushing

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tapatalksupport/how-to-stop-kin-t42414.html

See if you can spot when the 100% genuine not astroturf posts start

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

lol that kik's reponse to being sued by the sec is to focus their entire attention on proving the sec right

also i'm looking forward to the day that tesla runs out of money and elong musk runs a cryptocurrency giveaway scam to raise a bit more from the rubes

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Number go down today

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

jre posted:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tapatalksupport/how-to-stop-kin-t42414.html

See if you can spot when the 100% genuine not astroturf posts start

Well we'll well fellas.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

8k :toot:

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

AlbieQuirky posted:

fud

butts will never be less than $10,000 usd again

you may think the current price of $9,700 refutes that contention but i will have you know that butts are backed by math
It's 9200 now lol. No 8800! LOL!! Down 1000$ in 24hrs

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Japanese いただき!コインショー
Itadaki! Koin Shō Receive the Coin Show!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's 8.6k, which you can round up to 9k, which you can also round up to 10k.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

BMan posted:

Well we'll well fellas.

especially lol at "Start earning [sic] and I'm sure the Kin Foundation will be rolling out spend opportunities in the near future I would assume"

nevermind the mission statement of turning "kin users into kin buyers" and the whole thing being a fundraising gambit, I'm sure they'll start letting you use the garbage tokens they forced you to take for free to buy useful things at their own expense

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

bitcoin will now be valued in decakilodollars rounded to the nearest whole number

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Boxturret posted:

bitcoin will now be valued in decakilodollars rounded to the nearest whole number

for convenience, the ceiling function will be used to round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

How many millionen of kin do I need to buy before I can win an Elon Musk twitter raffle?