Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Actually it's called 'netorare', and it's art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The English voices sound weird

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

your face sounds weird

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

I'm REALLY digging Somnium so far but the goddamn psync parts keep crashing the game. Hopefully the steam version gets a patch soon

I was getting a lot of crashes in one of the later Psyncs, to the point where I couldn't even get past the first lock consistently, but I was able to fix them by turning down all the video options to minimum. That might be worth a try for other people who are having trouble?

I've finished it now; I don't think I have a whole lot to say, though? Not his best story but probably his best game. I was worried about the dream puzzle sequences but in the end they were all smartly signposted and - crashes aside - I didn't get frustrated with any of them. Similarly investigation never felt too pixel-hunty, and it never seemed like there was any way to get stuck.

Story-wise repeatedly reusing the same dumb jokes in every fight scene got old fast and its handling of LGBT characters fell into some pretty grody stereotypes, which is disappointing when put alongside its relatively sensitive handling of things like dealing with a relative with dementia, single parenthood, abuse et al. But those issues aside the story pretty much delivered everything I was hoping for, so I'm satisfied.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Just got my first real ending, and seriously, Ota’s ending is so good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Both endings I've gotten so far have made me cry, so working as intended I guess.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yep. Ota's ending made me tear up.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Ok, so I've just finished The House in Fata Morgana and I'm DEVASTATED :mad: Also, holy poo poo, I did NOT expect this game to be half as hosed up as it is.

Writing's not always perfect, some dialogue in particular made me cringe, but all in all a great game and thanks for recommendation, will probably play a second time.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Makatka posted:

Ok, so I've just finished The House in Fata Morgana and I'm DEVASTATED :mad: Also, holy poo poo, I did NOT expect this game to be half as hosed up as it is.

Writing's not always perfect, some dialogue in particular made me cringe, but all in all a great game and thanks for recommendation, will probably play a second time.

Make sure you get the fandisc

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Just finished AI, I loved it. On a whole, I'd personally rank it behind VLR and E17, but Mizuki and Ota's endings were definitely Uchikoshi at his best. I usually would prefer reading a straight VN without any of the puzzle stuff at all, but the placement of the somnium sequences and overall pacing in general worked well for me.

Also it's been mentioned already that the switch performance is not great, but I think being able to read it on a portable device was worth the tradeoff.

klapman posted:

Speaking of complete experiences, was there ever any concrete resolution to the parallel worlds stuff?

I don't think it was ever directly addressed, but parallel worlds existing is a staple of pretty much everything Uchikoshi has ever written. I'd just say that it's safe to assume that AI would follow the same "many-worlds interpretation" rules as everything else.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
[AI true ending spoilers]

astr0man posted:

I don't think it was ever directly addressed, but parallel worlds existing is a staple of pretty much everything Uchikoshi has ever written. I'd just say that it's safe to assume that AI would follow the same "many-worlds interpretation" rules as everything else.

In the epilogue Date remembers a bunch of specific events that only happened on other branches, which I would consider sufficient proof that the game's position is "yeah, he's getting info from other timelines, deal with it".

I'm actually surprised the final scene didn't come out and say "btw all that stuff about the Wadjet Eye system being conscious and coming from space is true, also it can see other timelines". Maybe it's just buried in a TIPS I haven't found yet.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

astr0man posted:

NRVNQSR posted:

In the epilogue Date remembers a bunch of specific events that only happened on other branches, which I would consider sufficient proof that the game's position is "yeah, he's getting info from other timelines, deal with it".

I'm actually surprised the final scene didn't come out and say "btw all that stuff about the Wadjet Eye system being conscious and coming from space is true, also it can see other timelines". Maybe it's just buried in a TIPS I haven't found yet.

I've been thinking about this, and honestly I'm surprised they didn't go for some kind of "Aiba got superpowered somehow and every single event in the game is her doing an extra-strength version of her predictions". It seems like a pretty natural fit, and they could have like replaced the corkboard with some cyber whatsits in a grand reveal. As is it feels kind of half baked, relying on the player either knowing the twists in other games or just shrugging it off.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Just hit my first ending in Ai, and I think I need the rest of the day to process it. Definitely looking forward to more. Playing on the switch I’ve noticed some performance issues, but over all, except for a bit of load times it’s fine. Definitely worth the trade for portability like the above poster said.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Make sure you get the fandisc

You mean the DLC or what?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Makatka posted:

You mean the DLC or what?

Requiem for Innnocence, yeah.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Maybe I'll check it out eventually but tbh I feel pretty satiated with the base game

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Just so I get a sense of how far I am, how many days does A.I span?

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
I finished Umineko yesterday and, wow, I scarcely know where to begin.

A few comments before I really get into this: First, it took me 11 months to finish the entire game. Life stuff, raising a toddler, dealing with a GPDWin that would mysteriously stop playing audio for no reason, and simply feeling like I needed a break, all contributed to the extremely long play time. Therefore, it’s possible I’ve simply forgotten things (especially from Chapters 1-4) that would answer some of the many questions I have.

Also, since I just finished, I haven’t had a chance yet to check out much of the Umineko related content out there. I do plan to eventually dive into that stuff, but I’m very interested in what people in this thread have to say.

Massive spoilers begin here:

Regarding the ending, I have an issue with how it’s structured and I’m wondering if others felt the same way. The tea party is light-hearted and humorous and seems reasonable whether the player chooses “Magic” or “Trick” in response to Beato’s final question. However, if the player chooses “Trick” first (I chose “Magic”, thankfully), the ????? finale is quite discordant with what precedes it. Ange was almost certainly right about Amakusa’s scheming but admits she’s only 50/50 about Kawabata and shoots him anyway. Would an Ange capable of executing two people really wind up decades later as the anonymous author of a series of children’s books? Would she even be able to?

The Magic ending makes the ????? scenes seem more plausible. Here, Ange seems much more content and able to move on from the loss of her family. This Ange wisely takes the target off her back by ceding control of day to day operations of the Ushiromiya Group to Okanogi. Her lack of a criminal record and access to the Ushiromiya family’s wealth would make it easier to start a new, relatively anonymous life. Finally, an Ange that kept her Battler doll and treasured it seems much more likely to write a series of books about Sakutaro than the Ange who callously threw it away.

I think the solution here was either to have two ????? endings, or block access to Chapter 8 ????? unless the player chooses “Magic.”

Next, I may be opening a big can of worms here, but I honestly have to ask: Does the game ever really tell us who the culprit is? The closest it seems to get is the ending of Chapter 7, but I was immediately skeptical of Bernkastel’s “Rudolf and Kyrie did it” story. First of all, very little about Bernkastel’s story was stated in red. She makes one quick, vague statement that is quickly cut off by Ange. Second, Bern all but admits she’s was just loving with Lion and Ange out of revenge at being humiliated in a previous game. Third, when Bern reports reports back to Featherine, she (Featherine) doesn’t confirm anything either, she just states she wants to think about it for a while. I remain skeptical after finishing the game and rewatching the end of Chapter 7 via a You Tube Let’s Play. It’s definitely possible that I’m forgetting something here, but did Bern ever have access to the contents of the cat box? If not, then why is Bern’s depraved version of what happened better than any other possibility? It might be more plausible then some other theories, but who knows when all the evidence was destroyed?

This is getting long, so I’ll just raise one other issue for now. I did read the summary of the plot on Umineko’s Wikipedia page. Frankly, it left me even more confused. My interpretation of the Chapter 7 “play” was that the author was trying to keep it ambiguous about whether Shannon or Kanon was the culprit. Eventually it became clear (to me) that the story was referring to Shannon. But apparently, the point was that Shannon and Kanon are actually the same person. So “Sayo” was a person with at least 3 distinct personalities: Shannon, psycho-Beato and Kanon? Was anyone else confused by this, or am I really just that stupid?

More later, including a final grade…

hepcat fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 18, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Squiddycat posted:

Just so I get a sense of how far I am, how many days does A.I span?

Each route is five or six days long.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

hepcat posted:

A few comments before I really get into this: First, it took me 11 months to finish the entire game. Life stuff, raising a toddler, dealing with a GPDWin that would mysteriously stop playing audio for no reason, and simply feeling like I needed a break, all contributed to the extremely long play time. Therefore, it’s possible I’ve simply forgotten things (especially from Chapters 1-4) that would answer some of the many questions I have.

Also, since I just finished, I haven’t had a chance yet to check out much of the Umineko related content out there. I do plan to eventually dive into that stuff, but I’m very interested in what people in this thread have to say.

Massive spoilers begin here:

Regarding the ending, I have an issue with how it’s structured and I’m wondering if others felt the same way. The tea party is light-hearted and humorous and seems reasonable whether the player chooses “Magic” or “Trick” in response to Beato’s final question. However, if the player chooses “Trick” first (I chose “Magic”, thankfully), the ????? finale is quite discordant with what precedes it. Ange was almost certainly right about Amakusa’s scheming but admits she’s only 50/50 about Kawabata and shoots him anyway. Would an Ange capable of executing two people really wind up decades later as the anonymous author of a series of children’s books? Would she even be able to?

The Magic ending makes the ????? scenes seem more plausible. Here, Ange seems much more content and able to move on from the loss of her family. This Ange wisely takes the target off her back by ceding control of day to day operations of the Ushiromiya Group to Okanogi. Her lack of a criminal record and access to the Ushiromiya family’s wealth would make it easier to start a new, relatively anonymous life. Finally, an Ange that kept her Battler doll and treasured it seems much more likely to write a series of books about Sakutaro than the Ange who callously threw it away.

I think the solution here was either to have two ????? endings, or block access to Chapter 8 ????? unless the player chooses “Magic.”

Next, I may be opening a big can of worms here, but I honestly have to ask: Does the game ever really tell us who the culprit is? The closest it seems to get is the ending of Chapter 7, but I was immediately skeptical of Bernkastel’s “Rudolf and Kyrie did it” story. First of all, very little about Bernkastel’s story was stated in red. She makes one quick, vague statement that is quickly cut off by Ange. Second, Bern all but admits she’s was just loving with Lion and Ange out of revenge at being humiliated in a previous game. Third, when Bern reports reports back to Featherine, she (Featherine) doesn’t confirm anything either, she just states she wants to think about it for a while. I remain skeptical after finishing the game and rewatching the end of Chapter 7 via a You Tube Let’s Play. It’s definitely possible that I’m forgetting something here, but did Bern ever have access to the contents of the cat box? If not, then why is Bern’s depraved version of what happened better than any other possibility? It might be more plausible then some other theories, but who knows when all the evidence was destroyed?

This is getting long, so I’ll just raise one other issue for now. I did read the summary of the plot on Umineko’s Wikipedia page, Frankly, it left me even more confused. My interpretation of the Chapter 7 “play” was that the author was trying to keep it ambiguous about whether Shannon or Kanon was the culprit. Eventually it became clear (to me) that the story was referring to Shannon. But apparently, the point was that Shannon and Kanon are actually the same person. So “Sayo” was a person with at least 3 distinct personalities: Shannon, psycho-Beato [i[and[/i] Kanon? Was anyone else confused by this, or am I really just that stupid?

More later, including a final grade…

Regarding unlocking:
I am told you do not get access to ???? unless you choose 'Magic'.

Regarding the truth:
Ange's reaction to the Book of the Single Truth, plus the Magic answer section, suggests very heavily that Bern's answer is the actual one.

Regarding the culprit:
I suspect you're going to want to check out Confession of the Golden Witch, the manga section that lays it out even more explicitly. It's difficult to link the videos that got DMCA'ed off YouTube, but it's a full explanation with nothing hidden.
The short form is to remember the last red of episode 6: "Even if you do join us- There are 17 people." Thus, there are actually only ever sixteen people on the island.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

macabresca posted:

Maybe I'll check it out eventually but tbh I feel pretty satiated with the base game
That's fair, and I totally get that feeling when you get through a story that is otherwise so cathartic and satasifying with how it wraps up. Requiem of Innocence is good in that it fills in a few holes from the first game's endgame (namely Jacopo's full story which, of the three men, was weirdly kind of skipped through) and ultimately its ending is very powerful in of itself. The "Reincarnation" chapter that came out on the Vita I will say feels a lot more superfluous comparatively, even though it does still have some good moments.

hepcat posted:

This is getting long, so I’ll just raise one other issue for now. I did read the summary of the plot on Umineko’s Wikipedia page, Frankly, it left me even more confused. My interpretation of the Chapter 7 “play” was that the author was trying to keep it ambiguous about whether Shannon or Kanon was the culprit. Eventually it became clear (to me) that the story was referring to Shannon. But apparently, the point was that Shannon and Kanon are actually the same person. So “Sayo” was a person with at least 3 distinct personalities: Shannon, psycho-Beato [i[and[/i] Kanon? Was anyone else confused by this, or am I really just that stupid?

Chapter 7 makes it clear that Yasu is the culprit as the story defines it, in that through their motivation of revenge towards the Ushiromiya family and despair at being abandoned by Battler drives them to create the situation wherein all of the family members will be killed. The true "twist" to it all is that the actual proceedings of how it all went down from that conception is that the entire mansion was destroyed via the bomb, permanently enclosing the island and the events into a black box. But more importantly, through Chapter 7 we learn of the "heart" that went into it all and why that is ultimately more important (hence, "without love...").

This is the manga section in question that Cyouni mentioned, and it's absolutely worth a read if you want a more explicit dive into the "truth":
https://mangadex.org/chapter/241596/1

On one hand it's unfortunate that's not in the VN proper but also the tone of it I don't know would actually fit.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's thought that the new Umineko chapter next month will incorporate it in some way.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

hepcat posted:

[snip]

To be perfectly honest, (massive Umineko spoilers) it is supposed to be fairly obvious that Shannon and Kanon are the same person, and two different aspects of Sayo, but they never explicitly say it. The solution to one of the mysteries presented in the Chapter 7 tea party (or was it the "????". the semi-interactive bit. gently caress it's been a long time sorry) only made sense by assuming that Shannon and Kanon were the same person (though there were many hints before that).

I find this easy to think about when breaking it down in the linear order of events (all presented in Chapter 7). Kinzo met and fell in love with Beatrice Castiglioni during World War II. He had an illegitimate daughter with her, Beatrice Ushiromiya. When Castiglioni died, Kinzo gradually began to lose his mind. Kinzo kept his illegitimate daughter locked away on the island in a place only a few servants knew of. When daughter Beatrice started approaching adulthood, Kinzo started seeing her as her mother, and began regularly raping her. The result was a child born of incest, who was Sayo. A short time after that, Rosa found Beatrice, was appalled by her being essentially locked up as a prisoner, and broke her out to show her the rest of the island, which was when Beatrice fell to her death. At this point, Kinzo forced Sayo onto Natsuhi, hoping she would raise Sayo as her own child. Natsuhi understandably did not like this and made a servant care for Sayo instead, which ended when the servant fell off a cliff to her death with baby Sayo in her hands. (These Rokkenjima cliffs are loving dangerous, man.)

Sayo lived, but was left with disfigured genitals. Sayo was rescued by Genji, who kept the baby's survival a secret. He sent Sayo to an Ushiromiya-run orphanage. Eventually, Sayo ended up in the Ushiromiya servant program where they went through all the hardships described in the Chapter 7 play, and to cope with the bullying and their gender identity issues, Sayo invented the Shannon persona, and then eventually the Kanon and Beatrice the Golden Witch personas. Sayo was recognized by Kinzo as the one true heir to the Ushiromiya fortune after solving the epitaph (which was specifically designed to be solved by Sayo, since Kinzo suspected they were still out there somewhere). This was the beginning of everything that lead to the massacre. Sayo learned the truth behind their birth, and they also learned they would never be able to have children. Either shortly before that or after that (I forget), Sayo, as Shannon, fell in love with Battler. Battler didn't treat the encounter very seriously, however, and eventually either forgot about it or dismissed it as insignificant.

This essentially plummeted Sayo's already-fragile self esteem to rock bottom. Due to their infertility, their disfigurement and gender identity issues, the circumstances of their birth, and Battler's rejection, they began to feel as though they were incapable of ever experiencing a truly loving relationship and that they weren't even human (hence the whole "furniture" thing). Sayo grappled with this feeling for years while simultaneously beginning to utterly despise the Ushiromiya family. Due to their greed, their mistreatment of the servants (and by extension Sayo), and because of Battler. This was when Sayo began planning the massacre, but at the same time, through the Shannon and Kanon personalities, they were desperately still trying to reclaim their humanity by establishing relationships with both George and Jessica. As you might imagine, this is not exactly healthy behavior, and ultimately it did not prevent Sayo from going through with the massacre.

The "canon" massacre is, most likely, the Rudolf/Kyrie-led one. This is why the truth was so difficult for Ange. Sayo took Rudolf and Kyrie aside, revealed to them the gold, and then planned things from there. Except Sayo was never planning on letting anyone leave the island anyway. Sayo relished in watching the family she despised so much massacre each other, and then detonated the bomb. Battler was the sole survivor, but without his memory and presumed dead for his whole life.

Once you recognize that Shannon and Kanon were the same person, a lot of the murder mysteries open up and become much more solvable. This backstory also *completely* changes the way you view so many of the character interactions, which makes a second read of the whole thing rewarding. R07 accounted for this twist in all of the scenes, though he used unreliable narrator techniques, such as having both Kanon and Shannon talk at the same time to the servants who knew of the split personalities. It also makes every Shannon/George scene and Kanon/Jessica scene so much more tragic, for instance. And the loving duals.

All of this can at the very least be inferred by the game. People figured this all out before the manga spelled it out, for instance. It's probably easier to do if you read alongside other people and share theories as you go. I know you probably don't have 100 hours to just reread the whole drat thing right away, but if you do eventually give it another read (again, doing so is definitely recommended), you'll be surprised by how "obvious" some of the hints really are in retrospect. Ryukishi07 did a great job at that.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 25, 2019

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I am glad the first ending I got in AI: The Somnium Files is just making me scratch my head in true Uchikoshi fashion

You haven't explained poo poo as far as I can tell, you can't roll the credits!

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

NRVNQSR posted:

(AI spoilers plus some other Uchikoshi game universe stuff)
Yeah, I came away from it thinking that the Wadjet System as an entity is probably something similar to Blick Winkel (BW as an entity and not as an in-universe explanation for the player). And in this case, since Aiba is basically a fragment of that system, and half of Date's (visual) perception of the world is through Aiba, it would follow that Date may be able to perceive small bits of shared memories across timelines.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Nate RFB posted:

That's fair, and I totally get that feeling when you get through a story that is otherwise so cathartic and satasifying with how it wraps up. Requiem of Innocence is good in that it fills in a few holes from the first game's endgame (namely Jacopo's full story which, of the three men, was weirdly kind of skipped through) and ultimately its ending is very powerful in of itself. The "Reincarnation" chapter that came out on the Vita I will say feels a lot more superfluous comparatively, even though it does still have some good moments.

I kinda hate this character though? And the more I know about him, the more I hate his guts? Also, from what I've seen this DLC shows his and Morgana's "love" story, which, uhh... how much was he older than her when they met? 10 years? And she was 12 at the time? ...yeah, no thanks.
I mean I'll probably buy it on discount at some point but don't have a need to play it at the moment.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Again, totally fair. More than anything else taking a break from that world is probably warranted anyway, given how draining it can be. I'm not going to say RoI would change your opinion on the character (and if nothing else, the ending of FM proper makes it clear that you're not really supposed to forgive any of them) but I think another important lesson the main story posits is that if nothing else it's important to have empathy for people. That to place oneself in their shoes can help heal not only others but yourself. RoI doesn't like, make them sympathetic but like the rest of the endgame for the other two it much better contextualizes how they got there. Also it's not like that person is the only focus, as it contains a ton of development for Morgana and Maria.

As for your other spoiler, yeah it's a thing; for the most part I don't think it's that skeevy (mostly because I think Novectacle are good writers) and by the very very end due to ~reasons~ I think it sort of works, but I do wish it had been handled or at least set up a little differently.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Oh, I think that the game totally makes these guys sympathetic, it does not make them likable however, or excuses their actions in any way. I really like that Morgana doesn't forgive them at the end It's just showing their complex human nature.

Honestly, I think what upset me the most (funnily enough) was the backstage section. It seemed like it was going to be just shits and giggles and then Jacopo goes and throws a hissy fit because Morgana visited him with Michel? gently caress off dude. And then I had to watch Michel confront Aimee (omgwhy it hurts) and also Didier tortured by guilt, even though he was freed in the game? :( That's just not fair

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think one of my favorite parts of RoI is the reveal that Aimee got some kind of comeuppance for her actions.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
tbh Didier's brief appearance at the end of FM made you wonder if he was really trapped there in spirit or if he was some kind of final test to see if Michel had been able to forgive his own bad guys, especially given that "Didier was actually crying" sounded more like Michel's rationalization than something that actually happened. I haven't read the extra materials and dont really plan to but i don't mind knowing for sure that he felt bad.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Interesting theory but in that case wouldn't summoning Aimee make more sense to test that? I think in FM regret is as important a theme as forgiveness

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Honestly I dont see regret as a huge theme except maybe around jacopo (and even then very little time is spent on it). The three dudes all have no idea why they're stuck where they are and the resolution of the story is Morgana being willing to move on.

dont get me wrong, my theory appears to be canonically incorrect.

But as for why it would be didier Michel barely knew Aimee compared to Didier, what she did was vile but it wasnt a betrayal comparable to [morganna's perception of] Mell, Jacopo, and Didier.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 25, 2019

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Finished AI: The Somnium Files, loved it for the most part.

The biggest issue I have with it is that I feel like the name Saito Sejima came up way too late, as did the "hey bodyswapping" thing. I had a theory that since they knew going over 6 minutes was bad, that Date lost his memory as a result of psyncing failure and that was HOW they learned it. It all made sense in hindsight but it kind of turned a lot of the interesting setups and foreshadowing that imply things about other characters into a bundle of red herrings, like Iris taking the knife at the restaurant. I thought maybe she was trying to fake her death, but then it turned into a real murder somehow. Instead oh it just wasn't Iris at all.

That said the story had great character writing and it was still a fun ride. Though I felt the culprit reveal was cheap due to hints being presented too late, it was still fun trying to deconstruct the mystery and keep track of how all the characters and their motivations connect.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Nep-Nep posted:

Finished AI: The Somnium Files, loved it for the most part.

The biggest issue I have with it is that I feel like the name Saito Sejima came up way too late, as did the "hey bodyswapping" thing. I had a theory that since they knew going over 6 minutes was bad, that Date lost his memory as a result of psyncing failure and that was HOW they learned it. It all made sense in hindsight but it kind of turned a lot of the interesting setups and foreshadowing that imply things about other characters into a bundle of red herrings, like Iris taking the knife at the restaurant. I thought maybe she was trying to fake her death, but then it turned into a real murder somehow. Instead oh it just wasn't Iris at all.

That said the story had great character writing and it was still a fun ride. Though I felt the culprit reveal was cheap due to hints being presented too late, it was still fun trying to deconstruct the mystery and keep track of how all the characters and their motivations connect.

i agree...its like I almost had everything figured out, but something still didn't make sense, and then they introduced a new character that just made me go "oh...ok." also the parst where date!rohan tries to extract info from saito in the most clumsy way possible, and saito switches bodies with date!rohan for no f'n reason lol...it just seemed kind of ill-thought out. like "these things need to happen for the rest of the story to exist so just uhhhh whatever"

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

GulagDolls posted:

i agree...its like I almost had everything figured out, but something still didn't make sense, and then they introduced a new character that just made me go "oh...ok." also the parst where date!rohan tries to extract info from saito in the most clumsy way possible, and saito switches bodies with date!rohan for no f'n reason lol...it just seemed kind of ill-thought out. like "these things need to happen for the rest of the story to exist so just uhhhh whatever"

More really explicit AI: The Somnium Files ending spoilers

Yeah those scenes felt out of place with the quality of the rest of the story, as did the fact that they figured out who the cyclops killers were purely by accident as a result of the Rohan body swap plan and not because of any particular suspicion of him.

Also the partnership between Rohan and Saito makes very little sense to me to begin with because it's not like being a serial killer is a magic power that only Saito has when it's been established that Rohan was quite capable of brutally torturing people to begin with. If Rohan wanted to collect people's eyes he just could have. It's not like he couldn't be at the scene or something, since if the goal was to distance himself from the evidence he clearly didn't accomplish that since the whole premise of them discovering his crimes was that he was there and therefore witnessed the killings according to the psync. And he clearly didn't have some compunction against personally killing people himself since he was caught about to kill Hitomi.

Still it's not enough to sour me on the work, better foreshadowing and a tighter explanation of how all that stuff 6 years ago (like, don't have them discover the crimes by accident, and have Rohan not have been personally at the scenes so he wouldn't get caught, that already would fix a lot of that) went down would fix a lot of that, but as it stands it's still a pretty good ending, especially with how heartwarming the epilogue was.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Speaking of Fata Morgana, I finally got my Collector's Edition in the mail last week! It's all very cool.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Speaking of Fata Morgana, I finally got my Collector's Edition in the mail last week! It's all very cool.

:eyepop:

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Same here! Both copies of mine arrived in perfect condition and I'm really happy with it. The artbook and physical soundtrack are my favorite.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Finally read the Ciconia demo. I guess I'll spoiler thoughts just in case?

Was that Miyako in the intro with the Commander for a second? I don't know if R07 has said but as this is a WTC entry, I assume the witches are going to be involved in a meta fashion. I'm not really sure how much I like Miyao just yet either. Battler\K1 were a bit more charming I'd say. I know it's a demo but just stream of consciousness stuff after playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

21 hours in and I feel AI: The Somnium Files is definitely one of Uchikoshi's better titles but goddamn are the "action" sequences handled clunkily as gently caress, in both control and presentation

Somnium puzzles are good fun though. I really like how unique they all feel.