Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

FMguru posted:

The Tipper Gore-led congressional hearings were in 1985. 34 years ago.

Also in 1985: New Coke, the debut of the NES, Live Aid, Michael Jordan's rookie year.

Fresh AF.

Remember how people kept trying to proclaim that 4e was "the New Coke of tabletop games?" Or compared it to that horrible new-fangled music kids listen to instead of proper 60's heavy metal? There's a reason for this.

LatwPIAT posted:

Zak would have been about nine years old at the time. He's like a teen who never grew up, still obsessed with the transgression of naked boob ladies on Slayer posters and people who weren't going to let him listen to music with obscenities in the lyrics. At age 40.

This describes - to some degree - loving a lot of grogs. Life stopped at their teen years at best. They've never gotten over or past them. I forget who it was eons ago that said the heart of grog-dom is the refusal to age gracefully. And for a lot of them, it even more pathetically stopped at someone else's teen years that they were born after, a vague golden age they were never a part of, that never actually existed, but will never stop weeping over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FMguru posted:

The Tipper Gore-led congressional hearings were in 1985. 34 years ago.

Also in 1985: New Coke, the debut of the NES, Live Aid, Michael Jordan's rookie year.

Fresh AF.

It was the reference that was one of the clues that Zak is, in fact, old despite the appearance he works hard to maintain of being an edgy twentysomething artist.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 24, 2019

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
So, uh, according to a redditor who has picked up 'Zak Has Nothing To Do With This Book':

quote:

I picked up "Zak Has Nothing To Do With This Book" today because a fantasy Hateful 8 sounded really cool. I didn't follow the controversy super closely, but it definitely seems iffy to me about the whole thing. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but having a character named Zak in a book titled "Zak Has Nothing To Do With This Book" make me think that there's some intentional messaging going on here.

Spoilers:

>!Basically, the NPCs have found a forbidden book and are looking to pin the blame on someone.

"They all settled on blaming... Zachary Canterbury, who goes by the nickname, Zak, because he said unwise things making it rather easy to be made the scapegoat."

"They all know they’re accusing an innocent man, and are doing so to prevent themselves from being subject to any kind of scrutiny."

You love to see it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what a loving baby

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Now that's what I call fantasy roleplaying.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Saguaro PI posted:

So, uh, according to a redditor who has picked up 'Zak Has Nothing To Do With This Book':

You love to see it.

hahahaha holy poo poo

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"Zak Has Everything To Do With This Book."

Also, how the hell does "We're blaming an innocent third party for the content of a book" sync up with Hateful 8?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kurieg posted:

"Zak Has Everything To Do With This Book."

Also, how the hell does "We're blaming an innocent third party for the content of a book" sync up with Hateful 8?

There's lots of swearing and blood and someone's nuts get destroyed, I assume.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well.

I'd say I was surprised by this but I'm really, really not.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I feel like someone needs to F&F this book that clearly has nothing to do with zak.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Kurieg posted:

I feel like someone needs to F&F this book that clearly has nothing to do with zak.

Only if it gets pirated because there's no way in hell I'd give this motherfucker money.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That Old Tree posted:

There's lots of swearing and blood and someone's nuts get destroyed, I assume.

Possibly also racial epithets.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Found this while trying to search for that reddit post as well.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure

Tekopo posted:

quote:

[…]and the house must be rebuilt.

And it will be rebuilt in accordance to my wishes, and mine alone. Anyone that thinks they have a say in this is very badly mistaken. The ‘community’ will have no say in the matter, because the ‘community’ is poisonous. You’ll take what you’re given, or you’ll go away.

[…]

With this book I reclaim my power and deny the policers, the censors, the puritans, the kindly inquisitors, all those that seek [to] define for other people what is ‘proper’, and those who endeavor to enforce their moral will upon the dreams and imaginations of others and dictate what other people may and may not create, purchase, or read.”

I just don't have words.

Flail Snail fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 24, 2019

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

With the unattributed quote here on the forum and a blog with the name "Renaissance Gamer" I was afraid what I was about to get into, but that was a pretty well-written article. I'm glad he brings up the frequent moral contradictions of the Edgy Masters when it comes to what's "choice" and what's "censorship."

So, in truest cowardly fashion, Raggi says "gently caress you, cutting ties was a mistake made for concern of money! I take it all back!" but he's not going to, like, do anything to remedy that except swear to…keep doing what he was already doing, including it seems not bringing Zak back.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It reads like "I hate that people who I've systemically ignored/belittled now have power over me. Please stop having power over me. I want to be able to do what I want and be profitable. So I'm going to weakly mock you in this product while also making myself look like the victim as hard as humanly possible."

Warthur
May 2, 2004

That Old Tree posted:

With the unattributed quote here on the forum and a blog with the name "Renaissance Gamer" I was afraid what I was about to get into, but that was a pretty well-written article. I'm glad he brings up the frequent moral contradictions of the Edgy Masters when it comes to what's "choice" and what's "censorship."
I share Renaissance Gamer's desire to buy a drink for whoever said that LotFP is like a 13 year old trying to impress an 8 year old.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Raggi won’t be profitable again though. At least three new publishers have appeared in the OSR space in the past few years, all of them seem more professional that Raggi.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Tekopo posted:

I'm not surprised, exactly, that Raggi has sexual assault allegations against him, but I am surprised that I first learned about them (indirectly) from the man himself.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I can't believe you didn't quote this part.

that article posted:

[...] in one of the most puzzling defensive maneuvers I have ever read, similar to an animal that defends from predators by punching itself in the face, Raggi tells us about the not one, but two women who are accusing him of assault and sexual abuse.

Wow!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Really Chidi-ing the ethics of giving sixty cents to this shitbag vs. the net gain of shining a light on his bullshit.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Falstaff posted:

I'm not surprised, exactly, that Raggi has sexual assault allegations against him, but I am surprised that I first learned about them (indirectly) from the man himself.

Fun fact: you know that red haired woman on a lot of LotFP covers, the titular Flame Princesss? That’s a glamour model Raggi really likes. He moved to Finland or wherever to hopefully meet her. Someone tipped her off to Raggi and his obsession with her and her response was “I never want to meet this man and if he ever tries to get near me I will call the police on his rear end so fast.” I believe she never met Raggi, successfully dodging that bullet; Raggi downplays this ever since she spurned him of course.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Arivia posted:

He moved to Finland or wherever to hopefully meet her.

Eww.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

That Old Tree posted:

So, in truest cowardly fashion, Raggi says "gently caress you, cutting ties was a mistake made for concern of money! I take it all back!" but he's not going to, like, do anything to remedy that except swear to…keep doing what he was already doing, including it seems not bringing Zak back.

I mean ultimately he can't, for all his attempts at performative toughness in that screed. Drivethru won't host new poo poo authored by Zak, and I doubt Raggi has either the balls or the economic ability to cut ties with them. Though of course all of that is not mentioned when he tries to act like he's taking back his alpha malehood or whatever.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Arivia posted:

Fun fact: you know that red haired woman on a lot of LotFP covers, the titular Flame Princesss? That’s a glamour model Raggi really likes. He moved to Finland or wherever to hopefully meet her. Someone tipped her off to Raggi and his obsession with her and her response was “I never want to meet this man and if he ever tries to get near me I will call the police on his rear end so fast.” I believe she never met Raggi, successfully dodging that bullet; Raggi downplays this ever since she spurned him of course.
he just stole a models likeness to sell his poo poo huh

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

quote:

With this book I reclaim my power and deny the policers, the censors, the puritans, the kindly inquisitors, all those that seek [to] define for other people what is ‘proper’, and those who endeavor to enforce their moral will upon the dreams and imaginations of others and dictate what other people may and may not create, purchase, or read.

I love that he decided to make this bold stand in the print copy of the book sold at GenCon, but omitted it from the PDF for sale that's more accessible to others but where DriveThru RPG might decide they don't approve and take it down or ban him from the storefront.

Seems that the marketplace of ideas has spoken...

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I love that he decided to make this bold stand in the print copy of the book sold at GenCon, but omitted it from the PDF for sale that's more accessible to others but where DriveThru RPG might decide they don't approve and take it down or ban him from the storefront.

Seems that the marketplace of ideas has spoken...

Maybe even in whatever hellpit forums he travels in people were busting on him about it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, in other RPG news, Jenna has been working on the layout for Glitch to have a version of it ready for a Kickstarter, and I'm wondering where I might find a fontsmith who could make us some ligatures for Caslon.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Arivia posted:

What the gently caress does your mysterious vendetta against Paizo have to do with LotFP products
Its because Paizo's Organized Play seemingly doesn't vet or actually exert any control over their volunteers leading to the situation where an abusive person can be in charge of safety and then be shielded by other volunteers. To make a long story short Paizo seemingly did nothing with someone who more or less had similar behavior to Zak (gaslighting and emotional abuse) and the situation degraded horrendously to the point where the rampant fascism and rape apologism in the OSR was the final straw. I knew our half assed safety measures at Totalcon were not going to work and were going to blow up spectacularly. I didn't think it would result one of Bill Webb's cronies whining about my SJWs ruining Zak's career at the convention where my friends attended. Never mind the connection to the Boston Straight Pride parade.

So yeah to sum that up. That's the reason why I'm angry. I've been gas lit. I've been emotionally manipulated. I've been used as a pawn to harass women. And Paizo had every ample opportunity to step in and stop this.

The sad fact is the only reason why I obsess over this is because a large chunk community and most of the people involved with the company are actually pretty great and deserve better than the half assed harassment policy Paizo has set up.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
This seems to be either multiple issues jumbled together, or just a long rant, could you maybe condense into what actually happened?

MadScientistWorking posted:

Its because Paizo's Organized Play seemingly doesn't vet or actually exert any control over their volunteers leading to the situation where an abusive person can be in charge of safety and then be shielded by other volunteers.

This was an accusation a few years ago, of the 4 things at the time (this, Webb, Mentzer and rape demon) involving Paizo this is the one they handled somewhat better. If it's continued, or you have any more examples of this happening, then making people aware and highlighting it in a clearer manner is obviously important for a lot of people and their comfort and security.

To make a long story short Paizo seemingly did nothing with someone who more or less had similar behavior to Zak (gaslighting and emotional abuse) and the situation degraded horrendously to the point where the rampant fascism and rape apologism in the OSR was the final straw.

Zac's also been credibly and repeatedly charged with rape.

Can you shed any light on the 'who' or link to anything about this?

I knew our half assed safety measures at Totalcon were not going to work and were going to blow up spectacularly. I didn't think it would result one of Bill Webb's cronies whining about my SJWs ruining Zak's career at the convention where my friends attended. Never mind the connection to the Boston Straight Pride parade.

I don't get a lot of this, I think you're posting angry, can you break it all down in a clearer manner? I'm not saying i don't believe you, but you're going all over the place and there seem to be multiple issues, which should go to more than one company.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
So what's the least toxic OSR line to look at if you wanted to like loot a dungeon and kill some monsters?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

So what's the least toxic OSR line to look at if you wanted to like loot a dungeon and kill some monsters?

my personal favorite is the black hack 2e

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

B/X Essentials aka Old School Essentials is the good thing going right now.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game and Basic Fantasy RPG are both sold at-cost on Amazon and aren't tied with any sex pests.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Arivia posted:

Did Gavin Norman actually stick to the promise to cut ties with Greg Gorgonmilk?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

thefakenews posted:

Did Gavin Norman actually stick to the promise to cut ties with Greg Gorgonmilk?

I believe so, last I heard. But I'd forgotten about that, so if you want something completely sparkling, this is a good point that B/X Essentials / OSE isn't right.

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Arivia posted:

Dude also had absolutely no women on the team for his kickstarter at first, out of like a dozen artists signed on. He fixed it with little fuss once I raised the issue in comments, but still didn't fill me with confidence in what kinds of circles he moved in. (I ended up ordering a copy of the book but not splurging like I had originally been thinking about.)

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

thefakenews posted:

Found my new espionage passphrase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm glad we've had in the past two years people actually giving specifics on Paizo's shittiness, because MadScientistWorking's constant vague posting on it is infuriating.