Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The hans twist is really making me want to eat some kind of German pretzel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

Robindaybird posted:

Honestly, if anything the Hans twist was a little too subtle - I'm not sure if I would've picked up the signs at all on a first watch if I hadn't already known the twist.

My issue with the movie is more the pacing - it's front-loaded with songs, with only the really forgettable and ill-timed troll song past the half-way mark, and makes the trolls look like selfish pricks for being more concern about Kristoff getting hitched than the fact the "Bride" might end up dropping dead any time if she doesn't see the elder Right Now.

Hans needed a chance to sing about his conflicted feelings.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

The hans twist is really making me want to eat some kind of German pretzel.

i can only hope they're available at epcot

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I don’t mind frozen (I don’t have kids) but the stone trolls just suck. They’re worse than the snowman and the fact that they’re back makes me not want to bother with this one either. They’re so lame.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
The best Hans twist is when you find out he isn't a terrorist, he's just trying to steal a bunch of money.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Instead of that loving awful Troll song that scares me off from rewatching the movie there should have been a clear villain song for Hans. "Subtlety" doesn't cut it in a musical.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"Love is an open door" is transparently it, you just need to be cynical.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm way late to the party on this one, but I just started watching Mao Mao Heroes of pure heart and it's really good. A good mix of action, humor, and general cuteness and fun.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I've never minded the Hans Twist, however: King Candy Twist > Hans Twist

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

The Hans twist is fine because you have it and immediately after you have Olaf trying to keep Anna alive while he himself is dying and...that's not an act of true love because...........

Also Frozen seems to be am example of literal whitewashing since I remember a lot of people promoting it as "the first Disney movir featuring 2 sisters and their struggles" and conveniently ignoring the existence of Lilo and Stitch

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Andorra posted:

Would the Hans twist be as bad if it didn't seem like every other disney movie nowadays has a villain twist?

It's been like seven movies since Frozen, it seems weird to criticize a trend-setter for seeming less novel in the wake of a trend that it created.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Sleeveless posted:

It's been like seven movies since Frozen, it seems weird to criticize a trend-setter for seeming less novel in the wake of a trend that it created.

Didn't Shrek 2 basically do the same thing?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sleeveless posted:

I have no opinion one way or another about the Hans twist, but it's super common for pieces of media that started at the time novel trends to become criticized once those trends become cliche.

It's kind of like how Seinfeld started out as this huge fresh thing, then every other show copied what it was doing and now if you go back and watch it feels like a knock off of other stuff you've already seen even though it was actually the first one to do that stuff.

Basically, when people get sick of a trend they don't care who started it and blame all examples of that trend equally.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Instead of that loving awful Troll song that scares me off from rewatching the movie there should have been a clear villain song for Hans. "Subtlety" doesn't cut it in a musical.

They actually wrote this song, but they cut it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk8VnQifCxA

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Sleeveless posted:

Both Toy Story 2 and Monsters Inc had that twist with Pete and the Spider guy. There are probably more that I'm missing. The problem that people have with the Hans twist is that it felt unnecessary. Like it was done purely to fill out the villain checkbox. My cousin didn't like the movie much at all and preferred Tangled, but I can't recall the details.

In any case, seeming nice guy turns out villain is not something that started with Frozen.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm way late to the party on this one, but I just started watching Mao Mao Heroes of pure heart and it's really good. A good mix of action, humor, and general cuteness and fun.

Same, it’s fantastic. Badgerclops is my hero

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Not every story needs a twist villain but to have it be the love-at-first-sight prince absolutely was an untapped one in the Disney canon.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I don’t mind the Hans twist, but that smirk when he first meets Anna is cheating. It’s a genuine smile of affection when she isn’t around, and leaving it in only serves to bait and switch the audience. A good twist leaves a trail of breadcrumbs for you to go back and find later That smile is just a straight up lie to divert attention.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

dirksteadfast posted:

I don’t mind the Hans twist, but that smirk when he first meets Anna is cheating. It’s a genuine smile of affection when she isn’t around, and leaving it in only serves to bait and switch the audience. A good twist leaves a trail of breadcrumbs for you to go back and find later That smile is just a straight up lie to divert attention.

I think that's the issue people had. That they realized that they lacked a villain so they retroactively made him one and reworked the later parts, but not the early ones hence the clumsy feel of it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He doesn't dislike her, though. He didn't intend to murder her until that situation became auspicious far later on.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Pick posted:

He doesn't dislike her, though. He didn't intend to murder her until that situation became auspicious far later on.

Everything you show on the screen matters though. By stopping and showing that smirk, the filmmakers are saying “This is important, look at this.” To show that and then just not address it in any way later is sloppy and deceptive. I don’t mind it in terms of his characterization. It’s the whole “film language” angle that bothers me.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I remember Elsa telling Anna after Love is an Open Door that she can't just marry someone "she just met" and that is the biggest clue something is wrong with Hans

I mean even the song ended with "let's get married!" "yes!" how is that not foreshadowing he's prince bad news

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8zYrt0c8O4

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The ending song for Casper is actually awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze06wpIr_Y4

edit: I don't know how Casper was received back in the day by critics, or if it's fondly remembered at all, but gently caress I love that drat movie

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n16GRRRxpgA

who cares about critics, Casper is a legitimately solid film

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EU1eS2Q4wQ

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I vaguely remember Casper for the Ghostbusters cameo that's the actual Ray and the resurrection machine, and Casper's non

Did they ever mention how the whole family died

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I vaguely remember Casper for the Ghostbusters cameo that's the actual Ray and the resurrection machine, and Casper's non

Did they ever mention how the whole family died

If I recall correctly the movie said Casper apparently died of frostbite as a child but I don't think it's ever mentioned how his uncles went out.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hypothermia, and there's no mention of the uncles, or even if they're actually his uncles.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Pretty sure the movie implies he specifically died of pneumonia after playing out in the cold for too long, since he says he got cold, then he got sick.

I think Casper does refer to them as his uncles at one point in the movie? It never goes into their backstory at all though.

Watching clips of the movie, the ghosts hold up surprisingly well, even if the animations are way more stiff than you'd find nowadays. I think because they are see through it doesn't come across as rough as it could. They also made the correct choice and made the ghost cartoony instead of making them realistic. If this was a modern Casper remake they'd try to go on the side of realistic with everyone and it wouldn't work.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 26, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:iiam: : If you scream, you'll wake up my uncles, and they get awfully cranky.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macaluso posted:

Pretty sure the movie implies he specifically died of pneumonia after playing out in the cold for too long, since he says he got cold, then he got sick.

I think Casper does refer to them as his uncles at one point in the movie? It never goes into their backstory at all though.

Watching clips of the movie, the ghosts hold up surprisingly well, even if the animations are way more stiff than you'd find nowadays. I think because they are see through it doesn't come across as rough as it could. They also made the correct choice and made the ghost cartoony instead of making them realistic. If this was a modern Casper remake they'd try to go on the side of realistic with everyone and it wouldn't work.

The movie doesn't imply that, it says that extremely directly. Like, they literally have Casper give a speech about how he died: https://youtu.be/WMWI2FTLbhg?t=35

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I didn't mind the Hans twist until they released that book about his childhood that was rife with abuse and neglect, then it was just sad :smith:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, it's surprising in retrospect that Casper and his uncles basically have more or less exactly their comic designs just in 3D. And while most Casper media glosses over where he came from, there's actually a lot of room for pathos in, well, not doing so, especially since it's less in vogue for media to relentlessly condescend to them now.

I presume the uncles ate and/or drank themselves to death.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Larryb posted:

As a result it's also one of the few (but not the only if I recall correctly) adaptions of the story where the Ghost of Christmas Future actually talks.

There was also a Beavis and Butt-Head Christmas episode with Buzzcut as the Ghost of Christmas Future.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
HERE LIES BEAVIS
HE NEVER SCORED

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Casper was pretty good and I bet it holds up well.

Who the hell had the awful idea to give Saban the follow ups though?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

Casper was pretty good and I bet it holds up well.

Who the hell had the awful idea to give Saban the follow ups though?

I seem to remember the cartoon they made based on the movie story being ok though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Larryb posted:

I seem to remember the cartoon they made based on the movie story being ok though.

I had forgotten about the cartoon. I remember enjoying it pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Larryb posted:

I mean, I imagine casper translates pretty well to being a cartoon and all.