Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The thread moves fast so it's probably bunches of pages back from the end at this point. Like, a month or two.

i know. i post a bunch on it. i just don't remember it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The Anthony Burch thing I always remember is when I was watching a few Hey Ash Whatcha Playings (which he wrote as far as I know), and there was one about a popular puzzle game that suddenly turned into an extreme and protracted domestic violence scene one character finds out his partner completed something on his game, so he explodes and starts beating her with his belt. She's off camera so he's really laying into her. Not framed humorously or anything, I think the shock value was meant to be the joke?

I know he apologised about another one of those videos where there was some bad representation, but I never saw any comment about that one and it left a real bad taste in my mouth

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
everyone has a pre-woke period

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

The current CEO of Failbetter responded with his personal thoughts on AK, with evidence. It's pretty damning, IMO, and distinctly lays out 1) what claims from others he has evidence for and 2) claims from others he believes based on his own experiences with him, along with a few examples (with evidence) of his own mistreatment:

https://medium.com/@wastebooks/alexis-kennedy-71044efc0ecf

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Star Guarded posted:

The current CEO of Failbetter responded with his personal thoughts on AK, with evidence. It's pretty damning, IMO, and distinctly lays out 1) what claims from others he has evidence for and 2) claims from others he believes based on his own experiences with him, along with a few examples (with evidence) of his own mistreatment:

"I’m speaking as someone who confronts the human fallout of Alexis’s actions pretty much every week, in my work and in my friendships; and more recently, every day."

Ooof. That's a power quote right there in the preamble.

EDIT: That "enhanced 1-on-1" message, oof.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 23, 2019

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

KOL UPDATE:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-09-23-games-professor-accuses-kingdom-of-loathing-designer-of-abuse

quote:

In a statement provided to GamesIndustry.biz, Johnson denied several of the accusations:

"The allegations against me of physical abuse are false, as are all the accusations of misconduct against Kevin [Simmons] and most of the document's depictions of one-dimensional villainy. Aliah [A.M] did not work on Kingdom of Loathing except to provide feedback, and her name has been placed in that section of the game's credits, as per her request. I have made my apologies, and I wish her the best in the future."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cease to Hope posted:

Nick Robinson was a successful video maker at Polygon, and notably co-created Car Boys with the Griffin Brothers. It came to light that he's been creeping on coworkers, fans, and industry peers for a long time. He was fired at Polygon and the Griffins cut ties, but he just disappeared for a while and is now a successful independent YouTuber.

I've linked to this excellent post from the top of the thread. Quick note: Griffin McElroy is one of the McElroy brothers.

e: I demand that when I am accused of villainy, it be as a line rather than a point.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

what a charismatic fuckin' guy. jeez.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
New Alexis Kennedy poo poo from the guy who now runs Failbetter:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

fez_machine posted:

New Alexis Kennedy poo poo from the guy who now runs Failbetter:

five posts up, buddy

but also goddamn that piece is a systematic and hyper-credible destruction of AK's poo poo, huh

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Patware posted:

five posts up, buddy

but also goddamn that piece is a systematic and hyper-credible destruction of AK's poo poo, huh

Yes

I so wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt as he's a local indie dev I was actually hoping to work with in the near future

But yeesh, gently caress him

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've linked to this excellent post from the top of the thread. Quick note: Griffin McElroy is one of the McElroy brothers.

e: I demand that when I am accused of villainy, it be as a line rather than a point.

whoops, will fix lol

I just want to emphasize, that list isn't exhaustive; it's just the handful of creeps I could think of offhand. There's the Oculus guys and the Riot Games situation and the Merritt Kopas story that I don't fully know the details of and Tim Buckley and and Max Temkin and and and...

And it feels like none of these people ever face any consequences besides ducking their heads for a while.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 23, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Star Guarded posted:

jesus what a loving rear end in a top hat. its a shame that a good writer can be such a sack of poo poo. glad he is possibly hosed now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus what a loving rear end in a top hat. its a shame that a good writer can be such a sack of poo poo. glad he is possibly hosed now.
For a while I was like, "see, you can write like Lovecraft without being a shithead" and welp, he's outshitted the old goblin.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nessus posted:

For a while I was like, "see, you can write like Lovecraft without being a shithead" and welp, he's outshitted the old goblin.

yeah. lovecraft was just a really racist neet who had like 30 phobias and was also an inbred shut in. the biggest problem outside the horrible bigotry is that lovecraft is just dry and boring. tha that being said i like a bunch of the concepts that he thinks off. also you can make anything lovecraftian if you think about it. like id argue the first two terminators are lovecraftian in a way.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. lovecraft was just a really racist neet who had like 30 phobias and was also an inbred shut in. the biggest problem outside the horrible bigotry is that lovecraft is just dry and boring. tha that being said i like a bunch of the concepts that he thinks off. also you can make anything lovecraftian if you think about it. like id argue the first two terminators are lovecraftian in a way.

Exactly what do you mean when you say "Lovecraftian?"

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
richard matheson > lovecraft and he wasn't a weird creep afaik

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wanderer posted:

The Terminator's endoskeleton lacks right angles therefore making it a non-Euclidean horror.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Cease to Hope posted:

whoops, will fix lol

I just want to emphasize, that list isn't exhaustive; it's just the handful of creeps I could think of offhand. There's the Oculus guys and the Riot Games situation and the Merritt Kopas story that I don't fully know the details of and Tim Buckley and and Max Temkin and and and...

And it feels like none of these people ever face any consequences besides ducking their heads for a while.

Whoa what did Max Temkin do? (He was one of the co-creators of Cards Against Humanity and probably the most visible part of it for those who don’t know.)

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also you can make anything lovecraftian if you think about it. like id argue the first two terminators are lovecraftian in a way.

Capitalism is lovecraftian. A vast, uncaring system that barely notices those it crushes and operates on a very different, often inscrutable, system of morality very different from our own. Also it can be ridiculously racist just like Lovecraft. :v:

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
A former girlfriend of Max accused him of raping her in college. He was kinda weaselly in his apology like how everything they did was consensual and the girl never confronted him about it and social media makes people lie etc etc

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Verge has more on the Vic Mignogna trial.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

So the dude with money got grifted by a lovely lawyer to waste a bunch of his victims' time, money, and emotional health. Great.

Glad we still have enough of a legal system in the US to protect these folks, and this is a well-written article, but gently caress, how lovely.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Star Guarded posted:

So the dude with money got grifted by a lovely lawyer to waste a bunch of his victims' time, money, and emotional health. Great.

Glad we still have enough of a legal system in the US to protect these folks, and this is a well-written article, but gently caress, how lovely.

They went after the judge? I’m hoping we can get some real teeth behind anti-harassment laws, because that poo poo is insane.

Edit: then i started digging, and found his anime fans equating him to Emmett Till. This timeline is beginning to get weird.

Hav fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 24, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pulcinella posted:

Whoa what did Max Temkin do? (He was one of the co-creators of Cards Against Humanity and probably the most visible part of it for those who don’t know.)

Capitalism is lovecraftian. A vast, uncaring system that barely notices those it crushes and operates on a very different, often inscrutable, system of morality very different from our own. Also it can be ridiculously racist just like Lovecraft. :v:

yeah. pretty much. like i always think of lovecratian in the "unknowable or creeply simple monsters/systems/etc.

Wanderer posted:

like in the sense that skynet/machinese are unknowable and horriflingly simple. its an AI system that woke up and said kill everything and now its just doing that for decades. I guess AM would be a better example of lovecraftian AI. i overthink poo poo lol.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

AM isn't unknowable though (if we're talking the Harlan Ellison thing), it's just like a creep rear end human with the power to be a real abusive rear end in a top hat

so we're on topic here :v:

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Nessus posted:

Lovecraft was horrid to entire demographics in the abstract but was, according to all reports, perfectly courteous to individuals. The dynamic described here is the reverse. Add them together and chop them in half and you get one really decent writer (Adam Nevill, perhaps) and one absolute shitter.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

A former girlfriend of Max accused him of raping her in college. He was kinda weaselly in his apology like how everything they did was consensual and the girl never confronted him about it and social media makes people lie etc etc

iitc there was also quite a bit of "my lawyer has suggested I sue but I won't because I'm such a nice guy"

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

baka kaba posted:

AM isn't unknowable though (if we're talking the Harlan Ellison thing), it's just like a creep rear end human with the power to be a real abusive rear end in a top hat

so we're on topic here :v:

Harlan Ellison was also a massive sex pest, so he's 100% on topic. AM was even in a video game!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Apparently the backlash from this was enough for her twitter account to go dark :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've always felt as if "sex pest" is kind of a weak term for what these men end up doing, like you go to take out the trash and out pops a little Harlan Ellison humping your leg.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Osmosisch posted:

Apparently the backlash from this was enough for her twitter account to go dark :(

*person is credibly accused of sexual assault*

Internet: Let’s not be rash in our response to this.

*person denies allegation*

Internet: Let’s descend on the accuser like a swarm of locusts.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I've always felt as if "sex pest" is kind of a weak term for what these men end up doing, like you go to take out the trash and out pops a little Harlan Ellison humping your leg.

I mean in Harlan Ellison's case he totally did this, so maybe it's at least a proper term. Along with rapist.

He was also a big enough name to do stuff like put dudes in hospital pretty much at random and not get any sort of trouble. Like he ambushed the president of NBC and beat him to a pulp for having slighted him and everyone just shrugged it off.

Never mind him groping women on stage or bragging about all the rape he got up to.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's actually an appropriate term for people who are weird little creeps without actually being rapists or serial abusers or whatever, and that having that granularity between "regular, healthy guy" and "dangerous predator" is actually important. One of the reasons sex offender registries are bad is that they create a binary offender/nonoffender status, but "sex offender" is a category that can range from "made lewd jokes at work" or "got drunk and peed in a park" all the way to "molested a bunch of little kids". The people in the former category should probably not make a habit of that behavior, but it's extremely obviously different from the latter.

That said, there's definitely people who use "sex pest" to describe the latter, and in that case I agree with you.

Baku fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 24, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What was wrong with fuckboy?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Sex pest seems like one of those tabloid terms that nobody ever actually uses like "romp".

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

"sex pest" seems like a good term for a specific set of behaviors that don't necessarily meet mainstream qualifications for sexual assault. of course, we haven't even agreed as a society on what sexual assault is soooo...

also I can't find anything about Harlan Ellison beating up NBC president but I did find stuff about him punching an ABC executive. yikes

edit: agreed with tea that sex pest is in the vein of fuckboy

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Lazy_Liberal posted:

"sex pest" seems like a good term for a specific set of behaviors that don't necessarily meet mainstream qualifications for sexual assault. of course, we haven't even agreed as a society on what sexual assault is soooo...

also I can't find anything about Harlan Ellison beating up NBC president but I did find stuff about him punching an ABC executive. yikes

edit: agreed with tea that sex pest is in the vein of fuckboy

I may have misremembered which dude he beat up like an rear end in a top hat. Or he beat up both. It's implausible though. He was apparently pretty well known and even celebrated for just randomly kicking the crap out of people.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
https://twitter.com/Fuzzlette/status/1176527206002171911

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

exquisite tea posted:

What was wrong with fuckboy?

IIRC fuckboy originated as a slur against gay men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

speaking for all my fellow queer men, i think we're using fuckboy for dudes who are some combo of clueless/manipulative and typically cross boundaries while trying to get laid (or some other objective). i'll need to consult my notes from the last gathering tho