Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Dadliest Worrier posted:

More like one color only

Seriously if you don't get Misano you're dead to me.

Also, make all your legroom dreams come true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Big Taint posted:

Isn’t it really unusual for BAT to list the same car within such a short time window?

That really is a prime specimen. For an excellent home mechanic.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It'll always be the black sheep of the M family since the 3, 4, 5 and 6 are Dadmobiles and the 2 is a Driving Experience for fit young bachelors

... that can't drive a Porsche, amirite? :smuggo:

I'm doing the BMW M track day at Monticello next week. I wonder if there's a discount coupon after?

edit: just out of curiosity, since I'm still hanging out looking at the M2 configurator:

1. Any word on when the "next" M2 might be out?
2. Are all of the M Performance carbon fiber parts a rip-off? Any worth it?
3. Are there discounts available on ED M2s?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 19, 2019

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Big Taint posted:

Those wheels are beautiful

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Big Taint posted:

white is top tier cause it will be lighter and thus more racecar

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Ultimate Mango posted:

Hey thread: do I want to spend a thousand bucks a month for the next three years leasing an M550i? ~$82k price on a $89k sticker car, all the MSDs and whatnot.

I mean, on one hands it’s a hell of a car. On the other hand ouch my wallet.

Is that for an order on a 2020? That is right at 8% off msrp, hopefully before the $2k loyalty (and then a few months later a $1k BMWCCA rebate.) The residual for 12k/yr seems to be 59%.

Go for it!

....not a fan of the "Dodge Meathead" rasp they are adding these days, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZaSeGlWfd8

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 19, 2019

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

white is top tier cause it will be lighter and thus more racecar

Post reported.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

... that can't drive a Porsche, amirite? :smuggo:

I'm doing the BMW M track day at Monticello next week. I wonder if there's a discount coupon after?

edit: just out of curiosity, since I'm still hanging out looking at the M2 configurator:

1. Any word on when the "next" M2 might be out?
2. Are all of the M Performance carbon fiber parts a rip-off? Any worth it?
3. Are there discounts available on ED M2s?

They'll give you a (fairly generous, like 20% off or something) discount coupon for larger packages with the M driving school, but not for purchasing a car.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Keyser_Soze posted:

Is that for an order on a 2020? That is right at 8% off msrp, hopefully before the $2k loyalty (and then a few months later a $1k BMWCCA rebate.) The residual for 12k/yr seems to be 59%.

Go for it!

And this car sounds better in Comfort Mode. :thumbsup:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Started to play around with coding today.

https://gfycat.com/potablephysicalgraywolf

That pretty much sums up how it feels. Just a couple quick things so far like Removing some legal disclaimers from the nav screen when you start and the warning on the cameras that feels like it blocks half the screen. At some point I'll do the fancy anti dazzle stuff with the headlights, but that's a bit more involved. I want to take a look at Euro MDM and then any of the settings from the CS cars that are applicable.

e: no loving clue how to properly embed that

fknlo fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 23, 2019

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

Go for it!

Yeah, it seemed like a good deal for the new model year. Don’t like the rasp either but I figure a 550 would be a lot more fun than a 540...

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
That BaT LSB 2002 sold for 30K.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

beanieson posted:

That BaT LSB 2002 sold for 30K.
you_make_me_sad.gif

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Wanna see the most over-engineered German/BMW thing just about ever? JFC WHY?

...I think it's happy to see us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLBoxFOVmnM

E: BOOO, spoiler tags don't work for youtube.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

glyph posted:

Many times I've wished there was a universal way to embed Youtube videos without showing the title because it spoils the surprise. I know there are ways to do it if you're embedding it in your own site, but that doesn't help for forums, social media, Discord, etc.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's like a slow motion middle finger which the one time you really need to use it will fail halfway extended.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

glyph posted:

Wanna see the most over-engineered German/BMW thing just about ever? JFC WHY?

...I think it's happy to see us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLBoxFOVmnM

I've seen the same thing on Audis and Mercedes in Europe. I think it's a German thing.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

I've seen the same thing on Audis and Mercedes in Europe. I think it's a German thing.

It's got to be a bumper/impact thing. Just like lane discipline, getting your loving trailer hitch out of the goddamn receiver and out of the loving way because SOMEONE might just walk into the motherfucker in a dark, tight parking lot and have the cops roll through a minute later because of the blood curdling yelp they let out, holy motherfucking god, if I ever find that motherfurker,

...is something we completely ignore here in North America.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Hmmm, I remember people getting those on X5's and especially 5 series here in the USA. Mostly because they are hidden. "retractable European tow bar"

example:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852514

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cA7rMgWJ8M

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 24, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Seems like you could make that entirely mechanical with a few locking latches, but that wouldn't be very German of them.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Popete posted:

Seems like you could make that entirely mechanical with a few locking latches, but that wouldn't be very German of them.

Look at this guy who thinks it’s 1988.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the German Way would be making it hydraulic and when you bump something with it then your suspension shoots down a foot and your doors don't unlock either

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

glyph posted:

It's got to be a bumper/impact thing. Just like lane discipline, getting your loving trailer hitch out of the goddamn receiver and out of the loving way because SOMEONE might just walk into the motherfucker in a dark, tight parking lot and have the cops roll through a minute later because of the blood curdling yelp they let out, holy motherfucking god, if I ever find that motherfurker,

...is something we completely ignore here in North America.

I punched a hole in the bumper of the M5 on some dick heads trailer hitch in the predawn darkness of Detroit Wayne County Metropolitan Airport's parking deck.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Today is the day, less than three hours left! I'm on pins and needles over here.

In other news, I bought an '00 E320 wagon with a hinky transmission for my new beater. So for the next couple of hours I own five cars.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Big Taint posted:

Today is the day, less than three hours left! I'm on pins and needles over here.

In other news, I bought an '00 E320 wagon with a hinky transmission for my new beater. So for the next couple of hours I own five cars.

I knew I recognized that photo from somewhere lol

Good luck, that’s a great looking car. I’m watching that white 135i that’s ending today since it’s similar miles to mine.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Nice, I haven’t paid much attention to the prices of those. I’m kinda surprised the 300e ending today is bid so high although the miles are only 66k. Still they are pretty boring cars.

I’m really into the blue IH flatbed that’s ending soon...

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I need to do the first oil change on our CPO'd 535i with the N55. From there I looked at how to get the car up on jack stands. Apparently there are some specific jack pads that I need? I have an AC Hydraulic DK13HLQ jack and their flat-top jack stands that are like this. Do I need an adapter?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have two of those Esco and they are great. And yeah, you need jack pad adapters. Just search BMW jack pad adapters. I'd probably go for aluminum. Also, make sure the jack pads on your car aren't hosed up. Whatever place you or the previous owner took the car to for new tires or whatever might not have used adapters, so they could be all smashed up.

As for jacking up the car, I had to put the tires on some jack blocks (or a 2x4 or whatever) to get the front high enough to get my jack to the central jacking point. But maybe the 535 isn't as low as the 135. I used the rubber pad that came with one of the esco jack stands, cut the little nub off on the back and put it on my jack and then lifted from the central point and then lowered it back onto the jack stands under the jack points. Might be easier with a second person, but just make sure that no one has their fingers anywhere near the jack stands when lowering.

Edit: loving lol you can subscribe to jack stands on Amazon. Yes, I need another jack stand every two months, thanks.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 25, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Any recs on best shocks for my E92 328i xDrive? There are a lot of options, I would prefer something that could make the ride a little less harsh if possible. I'm assuming it's okay if the rears don't match the fronts – I only need to replace the rears atm.

It seems like most people recommend Sachs over Bilstein (B4) for these purposes.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 26, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think Sachs might be the OE fitment.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Could be wrong but I thought it was the Bilsteins, looking at Rock Auto anyway.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Sachs are OEM.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

:confused:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm not sure why you think Rock Auto is authoritative. Every other source I can find points to Sachs as the supplier for the BMW OEM part.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
FWIW, if you use RealOEM it gives you this diagram

I don't know if Kotex has the LCI or not but it looks like they point to the same BMW Part Number: 33526779985, which cross references to Bilstein 19-135021.

e: If you choose the LCI 04/2010 it gives you a different BMW part number, 33526796469, which superseded the non-LCI version as well, and cross references to the same Bilstein number above, 19-135021.

e2: Looking up the Sachs part number from the screenshot above, it looks like Sachs is the OEM for the non-X-Drive models.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 27, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

FWIW, if you use RealOEM it gives you this diagram

I don't know if Kotex has the LCI or not but it looks like they point to the same BMW Part Number: 33526779985, which cross references to Bilstein 19-135021.
Thanks that's really helpful. Pre-LCI M-sport, xDrive, so Bilstein is OEM I guess.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Thanks that's really helpful. Pre-LCI M-sport, xDrive, so Bilstein is OEM I guess.
The best thing to do on RealOEM is go to the landing page, then put your car's VIN in and it will pull up the correct diagrams. It's then got a search box so if it's not easy to figure out which section a part you're looking for might be in, just put in "shock" and it'll pull up the diagrams that contain "shock".

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

BMW had a 50/50 shot at winning this comparo and failed. 4th out of 4 is a telling indictment

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The mushy brakes in my E82 are one of the low points of the car too imo, doesn't seem like they changed much there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The Supra is somehow better / quicker corner wise than I ever expected

I fuckin hate how magazines place emphasis on cornering Gs when cars are not on the same tires. It's loving marketing bullshit at that point.