Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Komet posted:

Yeah, but Mike Locksley probably had more to do with this as the Bama OC.

Locksley looks like he might be the only person the Saban Coaching Rehab Program actually worked on but prior to last year he had been pretty lovely everywhere else at everything except recruiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
So who's excited to watch Georgia play Tennessee in 11 days

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

So who's excited to watch Georgia play Tennessee in 11 days

If Georgia wins by fewer than 31 points, then the Gators are better by proxy.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

Locksley looks like he might be the only person the Saban Coaching Rehab Program actually worked on but prior to last year he had been pretty lovely everywhere else at everything except recruiting

Locksley came out looking way worse in the spat with Gattis over the summer, but lmao if Locksley actually had a point

I think Michigan has Rutgers next, so better score some points

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PostNouveau posted:

Oh, someone in the GDT said one of them looked very signaled, but then everyone thinks every injury is a dive now.

half the time when something is "signaled", it's just the sideline yelling at a player to sit on the turf instead of try to limp off the field.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
said it before and i'll say it again - LSU has a long tradition of being genuinely terrible at keeping their players hydrated

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

mactheknife posted:

said it before and i'll say it again - LSU has a long tradition of being genuinely terrible at keeping their players hydrated

They're still going to whoop the Gators, Gatorade be damned.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mactheknife posted:

Hard to compete with Championship Level Hydration. That's the Mensa advantage.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/BroncoSportsFB/status/1176526706225471488?s=20

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Locksley came out looking way worse in the spat with Gattis over the summer, but lmao if Locksley actually had a point

I think Michigan has Rutgers next, so better score some points

I could see this being a really ugly 13-6 type of game. Does Harbaugh make it to the end of the season if Rutgers beats Michigan?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Komet posted:

I could see this being a really ugly 13-6 type of game. Does Harbaugh make it to the end of the season if Rutgers beats Michigan?

Yes, Michigan losing to Rutgers would be a fireable offense, but Rutgers is 120th in Sagarin. They are worse than Florida's FCS opponent this week, Towson, who is ranked 115th in Sagarin.

The most likely outcome is Harbaugh agreeing to go NFL job hunting after ENSD, and NFL teams getting in a bidding war over Harbaugh. Or worst case, Michigan megadonor and Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross will hire Harbaugh to be a "Special Assistant to the Owner."

I wonder if the Ohio Men who have been thirsting to be OSU coach from birth - Matt Campbell, Luke Fickell - would answer Michigan's call, or if they would wait until Ryan Day gets fired for going 9-3

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Ohio State hasn't really played anyone yet, but it's hard to see them losing. Maybe Wisconsin, but 11-1 seems like a worst case scenario for them. They have to play Michigan State on the road at night, but Michigan State's offense is too bad to pose much of a threat. So in this sense, it might be a few years before the OSU job opens up.

Some sports betting site did have Fickell on the board as a possible Michigan replacement. Michigan needs to go out and bring in a not-Michigan Man, if they can even tolerate the thought. Michigan under Rich Rodriquez was the most exciting they had been in a long time. They just didn't play the level of defense necessary to win the Big Ten.

Komet fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 24, 2019

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The Athletic is coming hard at mid-season offseason posting.

https://theathletic.com/1231490/2019/09/24/the-meatiest-top-25-college-football-teams-ranked-by-nearby-cuisine/

Alabama is #1 here too.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Komet posted:

Ohio State hasn't really played anyone yet, but it's hard to see them losing. Maybe Wisconsin, but 11-1 seems like a worst case scenario for them. They have to play Michigan State on the road at night, but Michigan State's offense is too bad to pose much of a threat. So in this sense, it might be a few years before the OSU job opens up.

Some sports betting site did have Fickell on the board as a possible Michigan replacement. Michigan needs to go out and bring in a not-Michigan Man, if they can even tolerate the thought. Michigan under Rich Rodriquez was the most exciting they had been in a long time. They just didn't play the level of defense necessary to win the Big Ten.

it won’t happen; they look like poo poo this year so they’ll trot out another pro style team and can the offense and give harbaugh one more year unless they lose out

if they were getting blown out on defense but the new look offense was getting results, sure, but i can 100% see michigan boosters going full on georgia and insisting that harbaugh run the dang ball and accepting that as the fix

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Harbaugh has been disappointing relative to expectations but I don't know that firing him would accomplish a lot. They've still been mostly a good to very good team during his tenure and short of Urban Meyer, which can't happen for a bunch of reasons, I still don't really see anyone available who would be an obvious upgrade.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm stealing this top comment from reddit because i think it's a very reasonable assessment

quote:

Harbaugh has been Michigans coach for 4 full seasons and in that time he's gone 10-3 3 times and 8-5 once. Brady Hoke was the coach for four years and went 11-2 (weird) followed by 8-5, 7-6, and 5-7. Before him Rich Rod went 3-9, 5-7, and 7-6. The last four seasons of Lloyd Carr before RichRod were 9-3, 7-2, 11-2, and 9-4

This is all to say that Harbaugh is far and away the most successful and most consistent coach Michigan has had since 2004 and even if you go back to 2000 you only get two more season that tie Harbaughs best seasons. Hell, go back to 1990 and you still only find two seasons that match or exceed Harbaughs consistent success. The argument I've seen most frequently from Michigan fans is that Harbaugh has improved Michigan but he can't take them to elite status. That may be true, but I also feel that many Michigan fans are starting to forget that their floor is not Harbaugh's 10-3 / 8-5 but is actually far lower (see Hoke, Brady and Rod, Rich).

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

MourningView posted:

Harbaugh has been disappointing relative to expectations but I don't know that firing him would accomplish a lot. They've still been mostly a good to very good team during his tenure and short of Urban Meyer, which can't happen for a bunch of reasons, I still don't really see anyone available who would be an obvious upgrade.

They should hire James Franklin, he actually beat Ohio St once

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Really the big issue with Michigan is that they can't stop comparing themselves to OSU but OSU is coming off a stretch where they had one of the two most successful coaches on the last, like, 20 years and has a lot of natural recruiting advantages over Michigan on top of that.

Look I already went through Ferentz to Michigan rumors once don't make me do it again.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
The problem is I'm pretty sure that Michigan can find a coach for way less then $8 mil a year to go 9-3. You pay a guy that much and you better expect him to win something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Rad Valtar posted:

The problem is I'm pretty sure that Michigan can find a coach for way less then $8 mil a year to go 9-3. You pay a guy that much and you better expect him to win something.

Fans always raise this logic, but you never hear anybody say, “well we went 7-5, but at least that’s tremendous value in terms of dollars per win”

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rad Valtar posted:

are you sure because the last time they tried this it was brady hoke

Also I don't think the Michigan football program is in much danger of losing money

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If there’s one thing to be learned from the last 20 years of college football, it’s that it’s not “easy” to win anywhere.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

General Dog posted:

If there’s one thing to be learned from the last 20 years of college football, it’s that it’s not “easy” to win anywhere.

Clemson making the leap to being the only program that could rival Alabama will always be a mystery to me. At first I thought it was a one-off thing because Watson was so good - but...apparently not.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

Clemson making the leap to being the only program that could rival Alabama will always be a mystery to me. At first I thought it was a one-off thing because Watson was so good - but...apparently not.

Apparently the secret is to hold on to the best coordinators in college football, build the nicest facilities, and baptize players at midfield.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Sab0921 posted:

I think it's one of those "an object in motion..." type of circumstances. Success begets success if you plan it out accordingly.

A lot of the necessary pieces have always been there, even as far back as CJ Spiller and James Davis, leading up to Ellington, Hopkins, Watkins. Tajh was good starter dough and gave us a glimpse of what success could look like with a great QB, and Watson was absolutely the catalyst for putting everything together.

Without Watson, we wouldn't have had the clout to pull a guy like Lawrence. Now it's a matter of parlaying Lawrence's success into more great QB recruiting.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I hate Clemson because I think Dabo is a stupid rear end in a top hat who uses religion as a recruiting tool.

you tell your recruits that god isn't real, deal with that poo poo and let's win some games

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Success in college football is a matter of lucking into the right coaches who happen to have their pulse on the college football coaching world schematically at exactly the right time. And then paying athletes under the table.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Oh NOW UCF wants to schedule quality opponents

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

MourningView posted:

Really the big issue with Michigan is that they can't stop comparing themselves to OSU but OSU is coming off a stretch where they had one of the two most successful coaches on the last, like, 20 years and has a lot of natural recruiting advantages over Michigan on top of that.

What recruiting advantages does OSU have over Michigan other than being better at football? Ohio and Michigan are functionally the exact same same state with the exact same issue no matter how one team spins it. Urbz could recruit a few extra florida players, I guess.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

What recruiting advantages does OSU have over Michigan other than being better at football? Ohio and Michigan are functionally the exact same same state with the exact same issue no matter how one team spins it. Urbz could recruit a few extra florida players, I guess.

You just said they are pretty much the same except one is a better football team.

That’s a pretty big recruiting difference.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

They're the only major conference program in a more populated state that has historically produced much more FBS talent

FizFashizzle posted:

Apparently the secret is to hold on to the best coordinators in college football, build the nicest facilities, and baptize players at midfield.

OU could have had that defense paired with Riley's offense and hosed it up to rehire Mike Stoops lol

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 24, 2019

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

Spurrier held them at bay for a while, but my God have they done wonders at retaining coaches. Also, great facilities, in-state talent, and fan support. It's like Auburn North without Nick Saban competing with you in-state.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

MourningView posted:

They're the only major conference program in a more populated state that has historically produced much more FBS talent

OU could have had that defense paired with Riley's offense and hosed it up to rehire Mike Stoops lol

You forgot that Ohio State pays everyone and has zero admission requirements for football players. Also their players are all a bunch of criminals on steroids and weed.

Michigan's players are only allowed to get high on the sense of self satisfaction you get from a "Michigan General Studies" license plate frame.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hell, I'm pretty sure all of Franklin's losses are closer than Harbaugh's.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Being a Michigan Man (tm) is a heavy burden that plebs from Ohio State and, hell, the rest of the drat union!!!!! would not understand the pressure of playing like that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

For some reason I always thought Ann Arbor was actually on the lake and thus way better to live in than Columbus.

But no, I just looked it up and it's a bombed-out post-industrial shithole just like Columbus.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

MourningView posted:

Pretty sure Venables got blamed for the failures at the end of the Landry Jones era when the game plan basically was to tell Landry to win the game for us

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah - what the gently caress, why don't people hire away their coordinators - they've had the same OC since Morris left 4-5 years ago and Venables is eternal.

In my head, Clemson is just following the trajectory of Mack Brown's Texas teams getting VY and then Colt McCoy for 4 years - so, good luck with the 2020's Clemson friends

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

University of Iowa President threatening to cancel the Iowa/ISU game because of the band incident. I doubt that actually happens, but next year in Iowa may be ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

University of Iowa President threatening to cancel the Iowa/ISU game because of the band incident. I doubt that actually happens, but next year in Iowa may be ugly.

From experience - it really sucks when your in state rivalry game is cancelled due to petty fights that no one cares about except a tiny number of highly influential people.