Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
I like how Diego clearly has the upperhand in most of the fight between him and Valentine, and only lost due to what amounted to bad luck.
Usually main villains are made to be practically invincible until the final battle in fiction, but in Jojo they can end up in very disadvantageous positions that they have to struggle out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

GoldenPrice posted:

I like how Diego clearly has the upperhand in most of the fight between him and Valentine, and only lost due to what amounted to bad luck.
Usually main villains are made to be practically invincible until the final battle in fiction, but in Jojo they can end up in very disadvantageous positions that they have to struggle out of.

One of the things I like about the series in general is that the fights involve trying to work around the enemies' capabilities rather than outright overpowering them.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/doubleepitaph/status/1176233685307334656?s=21

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Diego did actually succeed in killing the original Valentine, too bad Valentine has reserves of himself.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Pretty sure Lucy killed the original Valentine. Assuming he didn't die before the story started. Maybe the original Valentine is still mummifying in the Devil's Palm.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

paragon1 posted:

Pretty sure Lucy killed the original Valentine. Assuming he didn't die before the story started. Maybe the original Valentine is still mummifying in the Devil's Palm.

In a bizarre twist the original Valentine was too much of a good boy to control his Stand and D4C took it upon itself to bring in a Valentine who could.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 24, 2019

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
This showdown is going to look so dope when it gets animated five years from now.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Dragonwagon posted:

five years from now

I see you're an optimist

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Johnny ain't in that opening montage

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

edit: not posting the thing because it's related to an image that'll be covered this week but yeah there is one reference to Johnny in the Part 1 anime opening

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 24, 2019

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Finally caught up with the read just in time for Love Train and what else can I say, this is the best executed sequence Araki's ever done. Once the weird false start with Who Shot Johnny Joestar? this is just a masterclass of shonen writing.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
The "getting rid of the bee stings" bit is a good continuation of the fine tradition of JoJo villains using their Stands to deal with really mundane problems that don't need Stands, imo.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I think Love Train is one of the few times where Araki gives a Stand/Stand ability name out of sheer irony, because its a nice touch naming a stand ability that exemplifies all of Valentine's fascist megalomania after a song about trying to spread love around the world.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I really want to see the start of the fight where Valentine lords over Johnny and Gyro from the back of the train animated, such a good shot.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Quietly muttering “dojyaaan~” to myself when I complete a mundane task

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Accordion Man posted:

I think Love Train is one of the few times where Araki gives a Stand/Stand ability name out of sheer irony, because its a nice touch naming a stand ability that exemplifies all of Valentine's fascist megalomania after a song about trying to spread love around the world.

it's also in keeping with the whole theme of accepting responsibility for your sins; in saying that he's doing all this for his country, he's shifting responsibility and making the entire country complicit in his crimes, and love train forces other people to take punishment in his place.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There's an interesting distinction between riding a horse, which can be ridden anywhere on or off the beaten path, and riding a train, which can only follow the tracks to very specific destinations.

Now compare that with Valentine's goals.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Train can't go down to the old town road

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Now is about time to post the national anthem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoQ_jPWoQg0

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

caution: bears

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Hell, it just hit me that another thing to add to the Sandman/Soundman theory is that Diego recognizes him, but then isn't quite sure if it's actually Sandman, but can't seem to place why. It's mostly so you don't immediately know who it is, but Diego's mostly been on the same route as Sandman at that point.

RIP Diego, btw

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I love the part where we follow Diego and Hot Pants getting on the train and then Valentine ambushing them to reveal that these aren't the Diego and Hot Pants we've known since the start of the story.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
My question is simple. Why doesn't Valentine wear a cape? It seems like a perfect fit for his baseline powr.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

habituallyred posted:

My question is simple. Why doesn't Valentine wear a cape? It seems like a perfect fit for his baseline powr.

the only cape Valentine would wear would be the American flag but he's too much of a nationalist to wear it like that

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

habituallyred posted:

Shouldn't his clothes be enough?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
He's constantly between air atoms all the time so there must be some standard beyond "between two things".

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Love how Diego's bit about humans being like dumb pigeons is the literal exact thing that Valentine believes but just more honest.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Love Train is an amazing sequence. I'd commented way earlier that SBR has a lot of grey morality, and I think Love Train is somewhat emblematic of that; of course, neither Gyro nor Johnny are truly at fault for harming others because of it, but at the same time... no-one really seems to give a poo poo that 4 or 5 people got killed because of it.

I also really like the idea of Love Train as a powerup thematically for Valentine, that the power that will let him realise the dream of leading the USA as the #1 country in the world is one that just transfers your misfortune to others.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

habituallyred posted:

In All Star Battle he basically uses the flag as a cape.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

In All Star Battle he basically uses the flag as a cape.

Exactly, so just wear one around all the drat time and become unstoppable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bring this back for Love Train ED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG7jKUHsLfY

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
The Diego/Hot Pants team is extremely cool and I wish we got more of them. The disguise strategy is such a great moment.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Dio and hotpants seems like a good combination in general.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Man, I can’t wait for next week. The conclusion to SBR is very satisfying.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
top 10 manga panels of all time (don't click if you're not caught up)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Carpator Diei posted:

Dio and hotpants seems like a good combination in general.

I mean ... yes, but they were absolutely 100% planning to kill each other the second they'd taken care of Valentine if they'd gotten out alive.

I did laugh at Dio's unwillingness to kill his alternate reality doppelganger though and Hot Pant's reaction moments after trying to kill herself in perfectly symetrical combat

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
It's still an interesting dynamic because Diego's forced to participate and treat HP as an equal instead of sending out goons with dino support or using someone as a decoy.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I wanna say how perfect it is that Jesus' body gives someone the power to redirect misery given how he willingly had himself crucified and become a maytr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

BaDandy posted:

It's still an interesting dynamic because Diego's forced to participate and treat HP as an equal instead of sending out goons with dino support or using someone as a decoy.

Yeah I did love Dio's brief time as a PoV character, as a sane version of himself he's actually a surprisingly compelling protagonist. Almost feels like the character Giorno should have been.