Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Ok, so let's say they actually go forward with impeachment.

How long would it take from the time they announce they're moving forward til the time he's actually, officially impeached?

Nixon's impeachment went on for about six months when he resigned before being formally impeached

Bill Clinton's was apparently done in less than two months lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_process_against_Richard_Nixon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_of_Bill_Clinton

I'm actually ok with a longer impeachment process if it means non-stop hearings, investigations, ect to really hammer home how corrupt this administration is. Let's Benghazi the gently caress out of this.

*EDIT*
dog tax (is this still a thing)

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

theflyingorc posted:

What part are you talking about

Inquiry? By next week, probably.

Impeachment vote? Depends on the strategy. At least months.

I meant the time between Pelosi coming out and saying "We're doing this poo poo" and the House formally voting on impeachment. But my question has been answered. I should have been more clear.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1176528736566546432

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Ok, so let's say they actually go forward with impeachment.

How long would it take from the time they announce they're moving forward til the time he's actually, officially impeached?

So with Clinton, impeachment proceedings were voted on on October 8, 1998 and then the House adopted the actual articles of impeachment on December 19th.

The Senate trial began on January 7th, 1999 and the Senate vote (to acquit) was February 9th, 1999.

The timeline here (at least the first part, in the House) might be a bit longer since they're likely to be dealing with more charges (in Clinton's case, they voted on 4 charges, only two of them passed and went on to the Senate). For Trump I'm thinking we'll have either double or triple the charges (to drag out as much information as possible).

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I meant the time between Pelosi coming out and saying "We're doing this poo poo" and the House formally voting on impeachment. But my question has been answered. I should have been more clear.

They could easily drag investigations right up to 2020 and beyond

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

cr0y posted:

They could easily drag investigations right up to 2020 and beyond

Yup, depends on the strategy they want to follow. I have absolutely no idea which one is best

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

GOP spokesperson

Lethal?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
What would be the best play? Impeaching him fairly quickly and then hammering him on it through the primaries and the conventions? Voting to impeach a couple of weeks before the election? Or keep it going through 2020 and maybe even 2021 should he win?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I personally enjoy the fact that the dipshit conservatives attacking Greta and pointing out "hypocrisy" with the Sandman chud seem to be ignoring that Greta is being personally attacked by the POTUS and is saying "game on bitch", where as SadBoi Covington cried "I'm being oppressed!" hid under a rock, and hired a PR team with mommy's money

Just some uh, differences in handling of things

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Neither, they're both spineless cowards. Rubio just thinks he can poo poo out bible verses randomly and Romney is Romney.

TBF that "do nothing and hope God will do the proper thing" seems too appropriate for him to be considered random

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

What would be the best play? Impeaching him fairly quickly and then hammering him on it through the primaries and the conventions? Voting to impeach a couple of weeks before the election? Or keep it going through 2020 and maybe even 2021 should he win?

I'm certain none of us know. The thread consensus will be whichever one Pelosi doesn't pick.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

theflyingorc posted:

Yup, depends on the strategy they want to follow. I have absolutely no idea which one is best

If the senate shows no sign of changing their minds, they're best to drag it out and make sure the senators are named in the investigation one by one. If it's still DOA when it hits the senate, make sure it takes a loooong time to get there until they have a change of heart.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TRUMP: "He's not going anywhere"

Kiss of death

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I think the pacing is less important than just simply digging into all of his entire administration as hard as possible, because omfg there is gonna be some legendary backstabbing and tattle tales

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

theflyingorc posted:

I'm certain none of us know. The thread consensus will be whichever one Pelosi doesn't pick.

That's some passive aggressive posting.

Nice. Pelosi's honor has been defended.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Quorum posted:

Calling my rep (McEachin) to yell IMPEACHMENT *click*. I don't think he has a public stance yet.

Update on this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RepMcEachin/status/1176527531018805254?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

McEachin is impeachin' :) I hadn't gotten around to calling yet so when I do it'll be a good work call instead.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Bullshit like pretending that individuals can make a difference by cutting out meat or planting trees can actually be harmful to what really needs to happen. Idiots fixate on that stuff and then when someone like AOC calls for regulations that *actually* make a difference, they go "heh, but she flies on planes" and that's that, in their minds.

Regulation of industry on a massive scale is the only thing that can help us now. It has to be done by governments. CEOs in a capitalist society are not going to decide to lose a bunch of money for the good of the planet on their own. Boycotts large enough to accomplish anything will not happen. Stop fooling yourselves.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

can't wait to see what bullshit trump's lawyers come up with to combat the impeachment subpoenas.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

GOP spokesperson

Lethal?

It's true, and Trump provided it (AGTMs) on the condition it's not used, and sit pretty in boxes far from the front line, ostensibly because of worry of Russians capturing them. (I would be surprised if they didn't have it from Syria via Iraqi army already).

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Soooo what would happen if Trump is impeached/voted out/etc, but refuses to leave? Military arrest?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Soooo what would happen if Trump is impeached/voted out/etc, but refuses to leave? Military arrest?

Vanishingly small edge case. May as well speculate on the number of angels on a pinhead.

The senate will 99.999% not vote to convict--you need total dem/independent solidarity, PLUS 20 GOP defections.

And if they do, Trump's lost all his cover and support. Pence gets to play the adult in the room and have him tossed out the airlock white house.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Hes not gonna be voted out so thats not sonething you have to worry about.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1176536420464386048

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

He gets to stay president as long as one hand stays on base, the Constitution is very clear

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

As of that moment the Secret Service switch their allegiance to Pence. As a former President Trump would still be entitled to protection but they don't take his orders any more. Pence could have him removed from the premises or (worst timeline) decide to keep him on as some kind of advisor.

Trump's real problem at that point would become getting arrested by one state or another (or Pence's DOJ, for that matter) for the crimes that led to Republicans voting to convict, which would have to be colossal.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

theflyingorc posted:

He gets to stay president as long as one hand stays on base, the Constitution is very clear

gently caress we didn't say "Simon says leave office and be disqualified from holding and enjoying any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

OAquinas posted:

Vanishingly small edge case. May as well speculate on the number of angels on a pinhead.

The senate will 99.999% not vote to convict--you need total dem/independent solidarity, PLUS 20 GOP defections.

And if they do, Trump's lost all his cover and support. Pence gets to play the adult in the room and have him tossed out the airlock white house.

Fourteen.

There are fourteen angles on a pinhead.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you not understand that one person making an individual consumer choice will affect other people, hopefully spurring them the do the same, which given enough people will start a movement, which will make their voices heard, which could affect more action like full-scale boycotting, which would force the CEOs of companies to do take some kind of action?

How many people seriously called for impeachment 2 years ago? How many called for it 1 year ago? How many today?

This is gonna sound trivial for the eco:matters: crowd in here today, but this happened to me. All I did was put a recycling bin just for used water bottles in my office and a couple people use it and I empty it weekly. One person said that the bin made her realize how many bottles per week she used (she brings in a 6 pack of Aquafina per day) so she switched to a Brita filter bottle. So that's 120 plastic bottles a month saved.

Of course this a drop in a bucket considering the single use plastic issues hospitals have, but hopefully it changes the worldview of someone, anyone, and that's a Good Thing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

haveblue posted:

Trump's real problem at that point would become getting arrested by one state or another (or Pence's DOJ, for that matter) for the crimes that led to Republicans voting to convict, which would have to be colossal.

This is his main concern, yeah. You can't claim "executive privilege" if you aren't the executive.

Trump's plan seems to be to win the 2020 election and hope that he dies before 2024.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

As of that moment the Secret Service switch their allegiance to Pence. As a former President Trump would still be entitled to protection but they don't take his orders any more. Pence could have him removed from the premises or (worst timeline) decide to keep him on as some kind of advisor.

That makes sense. I know its an unlikely event (even if said phone call was a party call with Putin), I just had no idea what would happen. Plus I think Donny's supporters would spirit him away to some country before he could be arrested for treason anyway.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

haveblue posted:

I don't believe that for a second. If institutions and laws worked like they should, Trump would have been removed a few dozen times already.

What's most likely to happen is... nothing. Republicans will go "doesn't look like anything to me" and Pelosi and establishment democrats would shrug and say well, we tried.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

Obviously he's lying about that information but out of curiosity I decided to find out what state does have the worst air quality. Surprisingly it is not West Virginia or Kentucky or any of the other major coal country areas, but in fact it's Louisiana. California is the 9th best, so it's solidly in the top 20% of states for good air quality.

source (arranged from best air quality to worst)

That list seems suspect. Oregon (where I’ve lived ) is 44th? The only way that works is if they’re doing that count during wildfire season. Otherwise it’s waayyy better over California.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

ummel posted:

This is gonna sound trivial for the eco:matters: crowd in here today, but this happened to me. All I did was put a recycling bin just for used water bottles in my office and a couple people use it and I empty it weekly. One person said that the bin made her realize how many bottles per week she used (she brings in a 6 pack of Aquafina per day) so she switched to a Brita filter bottle. So that's 120 plastic bottles a month saved.

Of course this a drop in a bucket considering the single use plastic issues hospitals have, but hopefully it changes the worldview of someone, anyone, and that's a Good Thing.

So basically this
https://www.theonion.com/how-bad-for-the-environment-can-throwing-away-one-plast-1819571260

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

FWIW

https://twitter.com/howardfineman/status/1176539782861729792

I won't get my hopes up until she says it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

https://twitter.com/allahliker/status/1176538450440466432

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ummel posted:

Will it save the planet? No.

Will it help? Yes

Nothing wrong with reveling in the victories we can find.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ummel posted:

You run into the Whole Foods problem here.

Studies have shown that (well, pre-Amazon purchase), people viewed Shopping At Whole Foods as "doing a good thing". THEREFORE, when later approached by a different moral decision, they were less likely to make a more moral choice, because they'd already done their good deed for the day.

Asking people to make small climate sacrifices makes them less likely to do the really important ones, not more.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
My painfully centrist rep Stevens (MI-11) announced support for impeachment today. I expect if she's on board, almost every dem is at this point

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I don't believe that for a second. If institutions and laws worked like they should, Trump would have been removed a few dozen times already.

What's most likely to happen is... nothing. Republicans will go "doesn't look like anything to me" and Pelosi and establishment democrats would shrug and say well, we tried.

True, but in this hypothetical he’s already been convicted so some semblance of law and order and congressional responsibility has already reasserted itself. I agree that what you say is more likely in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BMB5150 posted:

FWIW

https://twitter.com/howardfineman/status/1176539782861729792

I won't get my hopes up until she says it.

This guy is an msnbc/morning joe shill, so this is probably pretty reliable.