Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Balon posted:

So that recent survey asked an interesting question: if you could get any 5 (non RL) cards reprinted what would you choose?

I know we’ll have a few people say Oubliette, but I personally feel Rhystic Study is far overdue a reprint.

Wrenn and six

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Balon posted:

So that recent survey asked an interesting question: if you could get any 5 (non RL) cards reprinted what would you choose?

I know we’ll have a few people say Oubliette, but I personally feel Rhystic Study is far overdue a reprint.

Cavern of Souls at rare

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Retromancer posted:

can someone with better knowledge of the rules explain something to me? someone told me that the comma in the middle of Urza, Lord High Artificer's 3rd ability means that abilities can be activated in the middle of it. For instance, you could spend five to activate him, shuffle your library, then activate a scroll rack to put something on top before flipping the top card of your deck. A judge friend of mine confirmed this is how it works, but it seems counterintuitive to everything I know about the stack. Can someone explain this?

it seems like the question has been answered, but there's also just a logical way to get at this. the effect (shuffle first, then show the card) is unmistakably intended to prevent you from having influence on what card is flipped by putting a specific card on the top of the deck. it would be an insanely stupid and unfun to have an edge case that let you do exactly what the ability was designed to bar you from doing (with no real restriction) just by knowing the precise parsing of the rules.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 24, 2019

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Rings of brighthearth, Scroll Rack, Mox Opal, Chalice, Mana Crypt

Artifact Masters, lets go.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

evilweasel posted:

it seems like the question has been answered, but there's also just a logical way to get at this. the effect (shuffle first, then show the card) is unmistakably intended to prevent you from having influence on what card is flipped by putting a specific card on the top of the deck. it would be an insanely stupid and unfun to have an edge case that let you do exactly what the ability was designed to bar you from doing (with no real restriction) just by knowing the precise parsing of the rules.

being stupid and unfun has never stopped rulings before. Most cards that have turned out broken have been because of weird edge cases that snap the intent of the card over their knee.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Balon posted:

The five Zendikar fetches. (And Blackcleave Cliffs)

For non-lands: Mox Opal, Wrenn & Six, Mana Crypt, Stoneforge Mystic, and Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

Other poo poo that needs reprints for dumb scarcity reasons: Bloom Tender, Sliver Legion, Trinisphere, Liliana the Last Hope, Gemstone Caverns, Oracle of Mul Daya

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Retromancer posted:

being stupid and unfun has never stopped rulings before. Most cards that have turned out broken have been because of weird edge cases that snap the intent of the card over their knee.

yeah but this wouldn't really be an "edge case" it would be that the first half of the ability doesn't apply if you have an instant-speed way to stack the top of your deck, which most of them are, and know this bizarre ruling

it's not an edge case where you can do something unexpected it's just "lol the rules don't apply as written"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Balon posted:

Goblin Settler
Oubliette
Sliver Legion
Gorilla Shaman
Dryad Arbor with the art everyone hates except me

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

GoutPatrol posted:

This is the worst thing anyone has ever posted in this thread

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

MikeCrotch posted:

Reprint Gitaxian Probe into Standard.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Voyager I posted:

Reprint Gitaxian Probe into Standard.

That really wouldn't be that bad, though, assuming they didn't manage to put it in the same Standard format as one of the mechanics that lets you get massive value from it. (Delve, Pyromancer/Mentor, any other free cantrip value effects)

Not saying it would improve Standard, but it probably wouldn't be a disaster. It's already banned/restricted in all the formats where it needs to be, and reprinting it into Standard wouldn't change that.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Balon posted:

Chromatic Star hasn't seen a reprint in 12 years. I am not sure why it wasn't in any of the Modern Masters sets. It's just such an easy common to throw in, isn't it? Same with Manamorphose.

Also if they'd have bothered reprinting Mox Opal into the ground like they printed Tarmogoyfs, then maybe they would be able to ban it without banning a $110 card.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Reprint Manamorphose

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Cavern of Souls needs a reprint worse than any other card because 1) it does something no other card can do 2) tribal play styles are cool and should be encouraged 3) its seventy loving dollars

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

GoutPatrol posted:

MikeCrotch posted:

loving :lol:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Ally fastlands. There's no loving reason I should have to pay $45 for the third best BR dual land

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Balon posted:

My answer:

Underground Sea
Volcanic Island
Tropical Island
Tundra
Bayou

They didn't say non-reserved.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Print Auntie’s Hovel so I don’t have to pay 120$ for very bad lands

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Retromancer posted:

Rings of brighthearth, Scroll Rack, Mox Opal, Chalice, Mana Crypt

Artifact Masters, lets go.

I would draft the hell out of a set that was all artifacts, including all the lands and creatures. Only instants and sorceries that are synergistic with artifacts. (A shame about Transmute Artifact being on the reserved list, but oh well)

suicidesteve posted:

My answer:

Underground Sea
Volcanic Island
Tropical Island
Tundra
Bayou

I assumed that was what non RL meant. Besides, if RL didn't matter, why wouldn't you pick five of the P9?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Retromancer posted:

Besides them loving around with the errata for time vault, I’m struggling to think of when this has been the case. Most broken cards have been broken because they wreck the game’s resource balance—fast mana, cost reduction, storm, dredge—not because of weird corner cases of the rules. The only thing the o-ring rules trickery broke was modo.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The ironworks combo shenanigans definitely counts, imo. (You can sacrifice multiple artifacts in the middle of casting a spell or activating an ability, and then get to put all the triggered abilities from them dying on the stack at once. But only if you do it while casting a spell or activating an ability that costs mana.)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My choices are purely to have editions with the updated rules texts or something else.

Lightning Bolt - Updated with the current rules text.

Lord of Atlantis - Updated with the current type line.

Sword of Fire and Ice - Updated with the current rules text. Reuse the illustration by Chris Rahn and include the Mirran watermark.

Sword of Light and Shadow - Reuse the illustration by Chris Rahn and include the Mirran watermark.

Baneslayer Angel - I just hate the core set symbols and seriously it's been nine years since its last non-foil printing.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

Baneslayer Angel - I just hate the core set symbols and seriously it's been nine years since its last non-foil printing.

This is still my favorite piece of art on a magic card.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Star Man posted:

Sword of Fire and Ice - Updated with the current rules text. Reuse the illustration by Chris Rahn

Here for a moment I thought this was an actual good opinion and then I wasn't 100% sure which artist was which so I looked it up and what the gently caress

MikeCrotch posted:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Reprint Chaos Orb you cowards.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Reprint the non-blue reserve list dual lands

Plus, uh, black lotus I guess

Put the fear of god into the investment community, maybe get them to liquidate their hoards

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

JerryLee posted:

Here for a moment I thought this was an actual good opinion and then I wasn't 100% sure which artist was which so I looked it up and what the gently caress

Look, I just like it when I have a whole cycle of cards done by the same artist. It's like they match.

And if you want bad opinions, then here's one: The old frame sucks and y'all need to smash your Coke-bottle thick rose-timted glasses.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Reprint Chaos Orb you cowards.

This, but make the rules text metric.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Jabor posted:

The ironworks combo shenanigans definitely counts, imo. (You can sacrifice multiple artifacts in the middle of casting a spell or activating an ability, and then get to put all the triggered abilities from them dying on the stack at once. But only if you do it while casting a spell or activating an ability that costs mana.)

Yeah, think I blanked kci from my mind. Point still stands tho

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I said Imperial Seal, Mana Crypt, enemy fetches, Cavern of Souls, and "the reserve list" as my five answers in that survey.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Star Man posted:

And if you want bad opinions, then here's one: The old frame sucks and y'all need to smash your Coke-bottle thick rose-timted glasses.

That's a good opinion though

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

JerryLee posted:

That really wouldn't be that bad, though, assuming they didn't manage to put it in the same Standard format as one of the mechanics that lets you get massive value from it. (Delve, Pyromancer/Mentor, any other free cantrip value effects)

Not saying it would improve Standard, but it probably wouldn't be a disaster. It's already banned/restricted in all the formats where it needs to be, and reprinting it into Standard wouldn't change that.

Git Probe has the same problem as stuff like Faithless Looting where R&D have to be constantly aware of what they print for fear of breaking everything

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Star Man posted:

Look, I just like it when I have a whole cycle of cards done by the same artist. It's like they match.

i like the old artifact frame but its a worthy death to not have the other frames around

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

JerryLee posted:

Nah, the MM art for the Swords is gorgeous.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Nah, the MM art for the Swords is gorgeous.

They're not low-quality art, but they're pretty generic fantasy.

The Darksteel ones have that those cool stylized backgrounds.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Every time I play EDH with old and new cards, it strikes me all over again how cool and flavorful the old frames were.

You can definitely fit more text onto the new ones though, so I think aesthetically you can prefer the old ones while still accepting the new ones actively make the game better

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

My answer:

Underground Sea
Volcanic Island
Tropical Island
Tundra
Bayou

Can't wait to for my plateaus to double in price because they only reprinted the good dual lands

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Mox Diamond/Crome Mox/Mox Opal/Mana Crypt/Mana Vault.

Wotc too cowardly to print the products commander players need, instead of Butcher of Malakir again.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Every time I play EDH with old and new cards, it strikes me all over again how cool and flavorful the old frames were.

You can definitely fit more text onto the new ones though, so I think aesthetically you can prefer the old ones while still accepting the new ones actively make the game better

Probably neither is the actual ideal frame; the old ones definitely have more fantasy character whereas the new ones have fewer legibility issues.

I think there's a middle ground somewhere-- the Planar Chaos frames would be a step in the right direction-- but unfortunately at this point it looks like they won't ever be arsed to go implement it. The new frames are 15+ years old and have never been meaningfully iterated upon (I'm not counting minor changes for this or that gimmick, nor the M15 changes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

InterrupterJones posted:

Cavern of Souls at rare

Cavern of Souls at fixed.

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 25, 2019