Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Flesh Forge posted:

More to the point, if they let Trump get away with this then it will become the standard thing to do for every major political office holder going forward and :confuoot:
I mean, every Republican President since Nixon has been involved in something like this, except I guess for W Bush? So it's already standard.

(In W Bush's case he had domestic help instead, in the form of his brother JEB!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Extremely strong leadership to refuse to do the right thing until forced to do so by outside pressure.

Also the funny thing here is that for loving years now the line has been that Nancy Pelosi must be the top Dem in the House because she's some kind of iron disciplinarian who always gets the caucus to vote as she likes, until it turned out that this was a massive lie and now we're supposed to accept that she's just this hapless little old lady who obviously has to slavishly follow the whims of her caucus.

and yet she was elected not by the people but by the representatives so what does that tell you?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

lol called it like an hour ago.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Also the funny thing here is that for loving years now the line has been that Nancy Pelosi must be the top Dem in the House because she's some kind of iron disciplinarian who always gets the caucus to vote as she likes, until it turned out that this was a massive lie and now we're supposed to accept that she's just this hapless little old lady who obviously has to slavishly follow the whims of her caucus.

Yeah I've noticed this too, we can't afford to replace Nancy Pelosi because she's a five-star political general with iron control over her caucus, unless that's inconvenient for the narrative in which case she's helpless flotsam swept this way and that by the untameable tides of the whims of her political coalition and can't be blamed for anything she does because she has no agency or leadership qualities whatsoever.

But we can't afford to lose those leadership qualities that she...definitely doesn't possess when we need her to not possess them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

eke out posted:

the point is that federal judges will throw you in jail (and order awful fines) when you don't do what they say and they have a frankly stupid amount of power to do that

Yeah e.g. "imprisoned until you comply with this court order" which is open ended, and has basically no recourse.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So this means one of what, four things?

1. Somehow the call actually isn't bad.
2. The call is horrific but Trump thinks he can ride the wave.
3. The transcript is edited.
4. The transcript has just enough wink wink nudge nudge for republicans to hold their tongues.

I'm erring on the last, but #2 is peak.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

bird cooch posted:

and yet she was elected not by the people but by the representatives so what does that tell you?

that the rot in the party goes deeper than her?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Caros posted:

4. The transcript has just enough wink wink nudge nudge for republicans to hold their tongues.

5. It's of a different call
6. He backs off on releasing it because of spurious reasons like "Democrats/the press were mean to me"

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I'm going with #3

Or wild card, it's the transcript of a different call.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

that the rot in the party goes deeper than her?

Might want to go ahead and check on who voted for her.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Caros posted:

The call is probably bad, but not definitive. The call was only a portion of the larger whistleblower's complaint, and the withholding of that complaint is a criminal act by Trump, even if he releases a small portion of it

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1176561477731409920

EDIT: Yikes

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1176560041463341057

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 24, 2019

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Doesn’t the complaint possibly entail multiple interactions?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Caros posted:

There are multiple transcripts and they're going to release the least-damning one.

Also they could just alter it, and no one has the info to challenge them (yet). They've altered official transcripts already in the past.

edit ya I guess that's covered in #3

Caros
May 14, 2008

bird cooch posted:

I'm going with #3

Yeah, some googling says that there could have been multiple calls, so I'd totally buy them releasing a comparatively innocent call to try and get out from under it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah I've noticed this too, we can't afford to replace Nancy Pelosi because she's a five-star political general with iron control over her caucus, unless that's inconvenient for the narrative in which case she's helpless flotsam swept this way and that by the untameable tides of the whims of her political coalition and can't be blamed for anything she does because she has no agency or leadership qualities whatsoever.

But we can't afford to lose those leadership qualities that she...definitely doesn't possess when we need her to not possess them.

Nobody is making that argument anymore

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

bird cooch posted:

That the Dems value seniority over actual talent.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
https://twitter.com/AlexThomasDC/status/1176558849303699458
https://twitter.com/AlexThomasDC/status/1176560262444453888

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
If you guys haven't read it yet, I'd suggest reading Woodward and Bernstein's follow up book, The Final Days, which covers the impeachment and eventual resignation of Nixon. I think we're gonna see a lot of similar poo poo from back then as Trump as fights to control the message and control the information he releases

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Like, legally he can't withhold the whistleblower report, correct?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Trump's approval rating is the highest on 538 it's been since October of last year, what happened cause all the news for him continues to look bad on the surface?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/OKnox/status/1176561866098786304

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Trump's approval rating is the highest on 538 it's been since October of last year, what happened cause all the news for him continues to look bad on the surface?
Because his supporters don't think it's bad news.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

If you guys haven't read it yet, I'd suggest reading Woodward and Bernstein's follow up book, The Final Days, which covers the impeachment and eventual resignation of Nixon. I think we're gonna see a lot of similar poo poo from back then as Trump as fights to control the message and control the information he releases

Only difference is I'm not going to feel any sort of sympathy for Trump when it all finally collapses around him.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

SQUAD (never in a million years but we can dream)

I mean all of them but Omar are on the Oversight committee so I'd be shocked if none were on there

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

There were multiple calls though

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

oh so nadler wanted it? if he thinks he'd be good for it i think i'd rather have it in judiciary then, but we'll see what this committee looks like if it happens

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Caros posted:

I think he actually wants to be impeached because it will fire up his base and he thinks that will get him reelected, and he is deeply delusional and thinks he is more secretly popular than he is

He also does not realize the utter shitstorm all of the investigations will turn up

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Extremely strong leadership to refuse to do the right thing until forced to do so by outside pressure.

The funny thing here is you think anyone is at all who follows politics thinks she's the Iron Lady of the House anymore and think this is a smart political insight.

Literally everyone abandoned that about 6mos into her current run as Speaker, maybe earlier.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Google Butt posted:

Legally? No. Can he? Yes, because he's surrounded himself with people that won't do poo poo to him if he does withhold it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bird cooch posted:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 24, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Google Butt posted:

Laws are only relevant if those tasked to enforce them actually do.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Google Butt posted:

Legally he can't withhold his taxes but we are like... Six months into mnuchin flipping Congress the bird.

If he wants to run out the clock he can pull a Nixon and refuse to turn over evidence, making them go to court to get it., though that didn't work out well for Nixon.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1176563710829240320

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

GreyjoyBastard posted:

oh so nadler wanted it? if he thinks he'd be good for it i think i'd rather have it in judiciary then, but we'll see what this committee looks like if it happens

Schiff is fine, as well. And putting Pressly sounds great.

I'm also a bit skeptical at all this being broken by Playboy's reporter

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

Nobody is making that argument anymore

Jaxyon posted:

The funny thing here is you think anyone is at all who follows politics thinks she's the Iron Lady of the House anymore and think this is a smart political insight.

Literally everyone abandoned that about 6mos into her current run as Speaker, maybe earlier.

Correct, because you can't do that anymore because it demands too much ignoring of reality even for the most dyed in the wool Dem fanboy. Still, given that you lot kept repeating it for years, what does that say about your political judgement?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Cerebral Bore posted:

Correct, because you can't do that anymore because it demands too much ignoring of reality even for the most dyed in the wool Dem fanboy. Still, given that you lot kept repeating it for years, what does that say about your political judgement?

I don't know, but badposting about your forum enemies hardly seems to be an improvement.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

My guess is he's going to say hes releasing them and then change his mind

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

I think he actually wants to be impeached because it will fire up his base and he thinks that will get him reelected, and he is deeply delusional and thinks he is more secretly popular than he is

He also does not realize the utter shitstorm all of the investigations will turn up

Trump does not assess risk the way normal humans do and never has. This is super obvious throughout his business history, he convinces himself that he wins no matter how badly he gets wrecked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

My guess is he's going to say hes releasing them and then change his mind
Depends on if they can DeepFake some audio fast enough.

Flesh Forge posted:

Trump does not assess risk the way normal humans do and never has. This is super obvious throughout his business history, he convinces himself that he wins no matter how badly he gets wrecked.
I mean, he get wrecked all the way into the Presidency and has installed his supporters throughout government so he'll still be influencing all branches of government, notably the courts, well after he's gone.