Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

TulliusCicero posted:

Just :lol: that ole Lumpy managed to wriggle his way of the Russia collusion stuff with Barr, and rather than playing it cool for the rest of his term immediately tried again with the Ukraine

the man pathologically cannot stop committing crimes

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1067431464524869633

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Retro42 posted:

He’s trying to kill support within the Dem party by taking the whistleblower report off the table.

Which won't stop anything, we already know Pelosi's support isn't conditional to the report being released thankfully.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Solkanar512 posted:

So they end up passing it, it's just a resolution with no actual power right? What does McConnell expect will change?

That or McConnell believes they can survive a trump impeachment with pence

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What if the Whistleblower Report is not that damaging and thats why McConnell is willing to release it? Excuse me I haven’t been closely following Ukraine Gate before things blew up the last couple days. Do we know the accusations of the quid pro quo are legit?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What if the Whistleblower Report is not that damaging and thats why McConnell is willing to release it? Excuse me I haven’t been closely following Ukraine Gate before things blew up the last couple days. Do we know the accusations of the quid pro quo are legit?

It was toxic enough that both the dni and his vice resigned

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Pelosi apparently doesn't believe quid pro quo is necessary and that simply asking for interference is enough, so it doesn't matter.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In a legal sense, what is in that report is irrelevant. It's the cover up, not the crime, that is the issue

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Retro42 posted:

He’s trying to kill support within the Dem party by taking the whistleblower report off the table.

So it ends up revealing that Trump did some incredibly sketchy poo poo that is also impeachable. If this is just a hail mary then ok I guess, but there's no loving way the water gets held back once the dam has broken. And like above have mentioned, there was already a coverup.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

So they end up passing it, it's just a resolution with no actual power right? What does McConnell expect will change?

apparently it just means sending the resolution to all senators to find out if someone's gonna object and doesn't mean mitch is gonna do it

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1176585212945424385

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That they’ve stonewalled thus far is a sign it’s not great?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's like with russia now. if he never tried to collude it doesn't matter anymore since he attempted to obstruct at least ten times.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm not sure the acting DNI would be committing a crime by denying Congress access to it if it wasn't damning.

Regardless, impeachment should be proceeding based on the white houses direction of the acting DNI to suppress the report anyhow. It's a crime, the white house is obviously directing the acting DNI to suppress it.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://twitter.com/jamiedupree/status/1176587437189058560?s=21

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Scott Forstall posted:

That they’ve stonewalled thus far is a sign it’s not great?

I just keep thinking that McConnell expects the same reaction to this report as the Mueller report. Its "public knowledge" but no one actually reads it and just yells partisan 'interpretations' to support Trump.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lmao I just realized Mitt is gonna have to vote to acquit, I am deceased

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I’m just worried that the public is too stupid to treat obstruction with the seriousness it deserves if there wasn’t a worse underlying crime in flashing neon lights.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mdemone posted:

I wonder if any republicans get hall passes on this one.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the way this got squishy dems onboard is really, really funny

slam all those icky browns in concentration camps and the centrists of the world don't bat an eyelash, but suggest that dear sweet Thadwick might have to get a real job and suddenly it becomes REAL important that they make use of their constitutional powers.

Unfortunately due to the executive powers and his ability to run roughshod over the supreme Court there hasn't really been a lot of impeachable offenses that are clear-cut in all of that horrible mess

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

the report was bad enough that (a) a TRUMP APPOINTEE deemed it serious enough to require it be released to congress; (b) it was serious enough that the Bill Barr Coverup Machine swung into action; and (c) people involved in the whistleblowing promptly started leaking details to the press to up the ante on the attempts to cover it up

(c) is the big thing motivating the drip drip disclosure from the white house: the need to try to get ahead of the report getting leaked in full

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m just worried that the public is too stupid to treat obstruction with the seriousness it deserves if there wasn’t a worse underlying crime in flashing neon lights.

I mean, Clinton was impeached over lying about something that wasn't even a crime. Gross as poo poo, yes, but not a crime.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Good news, trump and giuliani already admitted to the flashing neon crime on live tv.

If it's not enough, nothing ever will be.

evilweasel posted:

the report was bad enough that (a) a TRUMP APPOINTEE deemed it serious enough to require it be released to congress; (b) it was serious enough that the Bill Barr Coverup Machine swung into action; and (c) people involved in the whistleblowing promptly started leaking details to the press to up the ante on the attempts to cover it up

(c) is the big thing motivating the drip drip disclosure from the white house: the need to try to get ahead of the report getting leaked in full

Welcome.. back?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

which of the accusations?

the Biden part of it appears to be on the level of "i smoked marijuana but did not inhale": probably technically legal, but also incredibly transparent rear end-covering for a blatant lie. whom amongst us does not have a crack-addict relative who gets hired out of the blue by a Ukranian oil and gas company around the time our dad's administration starts lookin' real hard at them.

the Trump part of it looks very legit from what we have of it but we don't have a tape or anything

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I could not possibly give less of a gently caress what the public thinks. I just want to see the mycrimes.txt

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

So I've said this off an on for about three years now. Establishment dems won't act for the good of their constituents or in any way that takes courage or leadership. But they will be motivated by craven grabs for power.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

Can't McConnell just sit on anything and not even have to have a vote?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sulphagnist posted:

This is gonna be a hell of a day for the history books if Pelosi pulls the trigger on impeachment given that the Supreme Court in the UK thoroughly bitchslapped Boris Johnson earlier.

It's like the timeline is starting to revert to the proper one finally

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Midgetskydiver posted:

He can’t stall a vote after impeachment I believe.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

TulliusCicero posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Midgetskydiver posted:

This is one of the known-unknowns. Some lawgoons say yes, some say no, the real answer is that we are in the "here be dragons" part of the map

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

And be on record of wanting to impeach the God emperor? That's one way to invite accusations of being a RINO and get a primary challenge.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

17 of 'em.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean, Clinton was impeached over lying about something that wasn't even a crime. Gross as poo poo, yes, but not a crime.

Yeah, but it was also a thing that was easily understood by the public.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Republicans won’t allow Dems the optics of a “bipartisan” support for impeachment. There will be no hall passes.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Midgetskydiver posted:

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/SMAN-113/pdf/SMAN-113.pdf

page 223 has a lot of rules that look mandatory but who knows how much that means

quote:

RULES OF PROCEDURE AND PRACTICE IN
THE SENATE WHEN SITTING ON IMPEACHMENT TRIALS
[Revised pursuant to S. Res. 479, 99–2, Aug. 16, 1986]
I. Whensoever the Senate shall receive notice from the House of Representatives that managers are appointed on their part to conduct an impeachment against any person and are directed to carry articles of impeachment to the Senate, the Secretary of the Senate shall immediately inform the House of Representatives that the Senate is ready to receive the managers for the purpose of exhibiting such articles of impeachment, agreeably to such notice.

II. When the managers of an impeachment shall be introduced at the bar of the Senate and shall signify that they are ready to exhibit articles of impeachment against any person, the Presiding Officer of the Senate shall direct the Sergeant at Arms to make proclamation, who shall, after making proclamation, repeat the following words, viz: ‘‘All persons are commanded to keep silence, on pain of imprisonment, while the House of Representatives is exhibiting to the Senate of the United States articles of impeachment against ——— ———’’; after which the articles shall be exhibited, and then the Presiding Officer of the Senate shall inform the managers that the Senate will take proper order on the subject of the impeachment, of which due notice shall be given to the House of Representatives.

III. Upon such articles being presented to the Senate, the Senate shall, at 1 o’clock afternoon of the day (Sunday excepted) following such presentation, or sooner if ordered by the Senate, proceed to the consideration of such articles and shall continue in session from day to day (Sundays excepted) after the trial shall commence (unless otherwise ordered by the Senate) until final judgment shall be rendered, and so much longer as may, in its judgment, be needful. Before proceeding to the consideration of the articles of impeachment, the Presiding Officer shall administer the oath hereinafter provided to the members of the Senate then present and to the other members of the Senate as they shall appear, whose duty it shall be to take the same.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He can’t stall a vote after impeachment I believe.

Why not?

I intend that as an earnest question. If the vote falls into his domain to execute (like, let's say, voting on a SC nomination), what stops him from just not bringing it?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wait, what? I just got here, Is impeachment actually happening? Are the dems actually doing something?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

This is one of the known-unknowns. Some lawgoons say yes, some say no, the real answer is that we are in the "here be dragons" part of the map

Given that McConnell has perfected the art of taking any possible constitutional ambiguity and fully weaponizing it for evil, I'm going with "yes he can stall an impeachment vote indefinitely"

What are the Democrats going to do if he does? It took them 18 months to finally admit that Trump should be impeached for one of the 50 loving felonies he's openly committed in office.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

TulliusCicero posted:

A finger on the monkey's paw curls. Hillary Clinton rises laughing from her grave. In one hand a reset button, in the other a pardon for Jeffrey Epstein.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, what? I just got here, Is impeachment actually happening? Are the dems actually doing something?

Sure seems like it! Pelosi's set to speak in 45 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Not yet. What we have so far is "Pelosi to announce a formal impeachment inquiry." She can still drag her heels and stall the clock for plenty of time until the next election.