Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

etalian posted:

DGPUs tend to be not really common for the 13" form factor.

Yeah, but I figured they’d have some 2 grand model with like a 1660 for people with more money than sense. Laptop would probably work better as a space heater than a laptop, but I thought it would be an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

bull3964 posted:

No, it never has.
Huh. I could have sworn it used to. They have an ice lake chip though, supposedly much better iGPU though, right?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Hadlock posted:

Also if you're using this professionally and going on site to customers offices, you want either the Thinkpad or the MacBook Pro, don't show up with a consumer class product, even if the XPS is a really nice consumer product.

I don't think there's a client alive who would look down on you for using an XPS series machine.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, but I figured they’d have some 2 grand model with like a 1660 for people with more money than sense. Laptop would probably work better as a space heater than a laptop, but I thought it would be an option.

Not for the XPS, no, but Razer just put out a new 13" Blade that does have a 1650 in it, which is about as good as you could possible get in that form factor.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't think there's a client alive who would look down on you for using an XPS series machine.

Yeah, especially considering how many Fortune 50 companies Dell basically owna the entire enterprise layout for.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ilkhan posted:

Huh. I could have sworn it used to. They have an ice lake chip though, supposedly much better iGPU though, right?

Only the 2:1 has Ice Lake. The normal XPS 13 gets the 14nm 10th gen chips that don't have upgraded graphics.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I have an opportunity to pick up a https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05997544 for $200.

Is this laptop decent for light gaming and is it worth it at that price point? I'm out of the loop on laptop hardware entirely. I know I would need to change out the hard drive to an ssd, or see if the optane drive can be switched out for a normal nvme ssd maybe.

I just want something half decent for playing older games when I traveling or at work on lunch or something.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

bull3964 posted:

Only the 2:1 has Ice Lake. The normal XPS 13 gets the 14nm 10th gen chips that don't have upgraded graphics.
Damnit.

I'm thinking of replacing my first gen surface book. I never take the clipboard thing off, and haven't really decided if I want to get another book. Looks like it's not getting an upgrade next week so now wtf.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, currently your options are get the 2:1 (understanding that Ice Lake graphics are about only as good as an MX150 at best and that the RAM and SSD are soldered) or get the Razer Blade 13 with either Ice Lake graphics or the GTX1650 upgrade.

As an FYI, the 2:1 has a 16:10 screen, so it would be closer to the aspect ratio you are used to on the Surface.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Are the ram and sad soldered on the non-2-in-1 xps 13?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RAM yes, SSD no.

It's my understanding that LPDDR ram has to be soldered. It's the only form factor it comes in.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

bull3964 posted:

As an FYI, the 2:1 has a 16:10 screen

Oh poo poo. Looks like I'm buying a third XPS. Thanks obama.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
please can we just get laptops to standardize on 3:2

everybody wants a slim bezel but nobody's bothered by the giant fuckin chin somehow.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
At the very least, put 3:2 on laptops for people with jobs and leave 16:9 on normie laptops for Netflix or whatever

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

grimcreaper posted:

I have an opportunity to pick up a https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05997544 for $200.

Is this laptop decent for light gaming and is it worth it at that price point? I'm out of the loop on laptop hardware entirely. I know I would need to change out the hard drive to an ssd, or see if the optane drive can be switched out for a normal nvme ssd maybe.

I just want something half decent for playing older games when I traveling or at work on lunch or something.

If all you want to spend is $200, thats probably as good as you'll get... 1050 is not a good card but $200 for a 1080p IPS screen, a 4ghz 8 thread cpu and a workable GPU is pretty good

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
So I'm looking into getting a laptop and I was hoping to get some recommendations.

Budget: Up to 1k USD or so.
Size: 15 inches or smaller.
Use: Light gaming, web browsing, watching movies, spreadsheets and documents.

I want something with a really nice screen since I feel like that is such a big part of using a laptop and you're stuck with what you've got for that component. I also want a good keyboard and track pad since I'm unlikely to have space for a mouse a lot of the time. I want something that will last, I don't want it dying on me in two years or something. I'm willing to buy a refurbished laptop if that's the best choice and I was thinking about a refurbished XPS 15 from Dell, are there any issues with those or any good alternatives?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

A 1050 Ti system is a good deal at around $500; for $200 I'd snap up that thing in a heartbeat. It looks like a Walmart-specific model, and even with the base 1050 it's definitely got good entry-level gaming performance, especially for that price.

I'd suggest swapping the HDD for a 2 TB model (e.g. Firecuda for $60 on sale) and adding in any m.2 SSD; it should support SATA or NVMe.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I have a HP Elitebook 840 G3. It came with PC-1700 DDR4 RAM. Would PC-21300 memory work in it? I was offered some for free, I just want to make sure it'll work in the laptop before I accept it. Crucial.com only lists PC-19200 as the maximum memory speed they offer for the 840 G3.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mr. Apollo posted:

I have a HP Elitebook 840 G3. It came with PC-1700 DDR4 RAM. Would PC-21300 memory work in it? I was offered some for free, I just want to make sure it'll work in the laptop before I accept it. Crucial.com only lists PC-19200 as the maximum memory speed they offer for the 840 G3.

The speed is just the max speed the memory is rated to run at, your laptop will set the speed and timings itself. As long as the memory is DDR4 laptop memory and you have a free slot to put it in it should work fine.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The speed is just the max speed the memory is rated to run at, your laptop will set the speed and timings itself. As long as the memory is DDR4 laptop memory and you have a free slot to put it in it should work fine.
OK, cool thanks. That's what I figured but I just wanted to make sure.

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017
When I was 10, I knew everything about computers and cars. Almost 20 years later I know nothing about technology and I'm in this thread to ask stupid questions.

I'm looking into buying a laptop, and I want it to be able to run the following stuff comfortably:
- Adobe stuff (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, possibly Premiere/After Effects)
- 2k, PES, Total War series, some strategy games like Stellaris

I'm not looking for ultra high detail in games, but I want them to run smoothly and to avoid overheating. My budget is 1000-1600$ (but I'm an EU goon if it makes a difference).

My current rig is Dell Inspiron 5559 and while it's been mostly good to me I've had overheating issues with say Total War Shogun, the GPU was too weak for the latest PES and finally the fan died a mysterious death, so I guess I need an upgrade of sorts.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Evig Vandrar posted:

When I was 10, I knew everything about computers and cars. Almost 20 years later I know nothing about technology and I'm in this thread to ask stupid questions.

I'm looking into buying a laptop, and I want it to be able to run the following stuff comfortably:
- Adobe stuff (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, possibly Premiere/After Effects)
- 2k, PES, Total War series, some strategy games like Stellaris

I'm not looking for ultra high detail in games, but I want them to run smoothly and to avoid overheating. My budget is 1000-1600$ (but I'm an EU goon if it makes a difference).

My current rig is Dell Inspiron 5559 and while it's been mostly good to me I've had overheating issues with say Total War Shogun, the GPU was too weak for the latest PES and finally the fan died a mysterious death, so I guess I need an upgrade of sorts.

Hmmm, sounds like you want a gaming laptop that can still do pro work. I'd look into the Acer Helios 300 or Lenovo Y540, both are in your price range and both have good cooling and powerful hardware with decent build quality. However like most gaming laptops both fall short in battery life, so how often are you away from an outlet?

Screen real estate is also really valuable for all of that Adobe work, but a higher resolution screen would bump the price above your budget. I'd recommend the Asus Zenbook Pro Duo but you would need to increase your budget a lot for that.

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hmmm, sounds like you want a gaming laptop that can still do pro work. I'd look into the Acer Helios 300 or Lenovo Y540, both are in your price range and both have good cooling and powerful hardware with decent build quality. However like most gaming laptops both fall short in battery life, so how often are you away from an outlet?

Battery life's not an issue, I use a laptop mainly so I can do stuff while I'm in my bed. The most I require from my battery is to survive an hour and a half playing a podcast or video while I'm cooking and eating.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Screen real estate is also really valuable for all of that Adobe work, but a higher resolution screen would bump the price above your budget. I'd recommend the Asus Zenbook Pro Duo but you would need to increase your budget a lot for that.

I'm no professional, but do some minor freelance work here and there. You mean a 4k resolution screen? I think that 1920xwhatever px is enough for my needs.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Evig Vandrar posted:

Battery life's not an issue, I use a laptop mainly so I can do stuff while I'm in my bed. The most I require from my battery is to survive an hour and a half playing a podcast or video while I'm cooking and eating.

I'm no professional, but do some minor freelance work here and there. You mean a 4k resolution screen? I think that 1920xwhatever px is enough for my needs.

Ok, if it's just light weight stuff you probably don't need the higher resolution screen. In that case I stand by the recommendation of the Helios 300 or Y540, just make sure to get the newer models with the 1660ti graphics card. Read through some reviews of each and you should be able to figure out which one would be the best fit for you.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
What's a good power bank or whatever it's called for an XPS 13 9380?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Helios 300’s have had a bit of a problem with either being DOA or bricking themselves within a week or two. Mine lasted three days and there’s still reviews going up on amazon about getting duds or having an unusable computer. I’d go with something from a different manufacturer that has the same specs. My HP Omen 15 has been doing just fine for me.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
In the epic story that was my razer blade stealth port catching fire, Razer support identified the charger as the issue. They issued an RMA, and gave me a working adapter once I returned mine. At least my laptop isn't broken. It seems to be working fine. I never considered the adapter cable short circuiting itself... despite it being the third charger for my RBS as the prior two just stopped working eventually. Whelp.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh dear what has this world come to, I'm considering getting that updated Razer Blade Stealth.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So am I. I'm just waiting to see what the Surface event shakes out and waiting to seem some actual reviews of the dGPU model to see what the thermals and performance are.

It's likely going to be a tossup between the 1650 stealth and the MAG-15 unless MS surprises us all with a thunderbolt port on one of the new Surfaces.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Helios 300’s have had a bit of a problem with either being DOA or bricking themselves within a week or two. Mine lasted three days and there’s still reviews going up on amazon about getting duds or having an unusable computer. I’d go with something from a different manufacturer that has the same specs. My HP Omen 15 has been doing just fine for me.

I looked this up and it doesn't seem to be all that common, I was able to find 4 reviews out of the 284 currently available for the 2019 model with this issue on Amazon, that's only around ~1.5% reporting this issue.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

bull3964 posted:

So am I. I'm just waiting to see what the Surface event shakes out and waiting to seem some actual reviews of the dGPU model to see what the thermals and performance are.

It's likely going to be a tossup between the 1650 stealth and the MAG-15 unless MS surprises us all with a thunderbolt port on one of the new Surfaces.

Yeah I'm hoping they update the Surface Book I like mine well enough but I want to upgrade as it sometimes decides there's no keyboard/mouse connected. That chin on the Razer Blade Stealth is fairly ugly and the battery is smaller. I wish more companies did 14 inch laptops I think that might be my favorite size.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 24, 2019

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
The Helios is consistently one of, if not the, cheapest laptop for the specs it has. Iffy build quality and higher DOA rates than normal should be expected.

For what it's worth, 1.5% DOA on something like a laptop is pretty bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but you also need to consider writing a review on Amazon is annoying and most people don't do it, but are more likely to if they have a complaint.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

DrDork posted:

The Helios is consistently one of, if not the, cheapest laptop for the specs it has. Iffy build quality and higher DOA rates than normal should be expected.

For what it's worth, 1.5% DOA on something like a laptop is pretty bad.

That 1.5% is self selected and people who have an issue with a product are far more likely to leave a review than people who have a good experience, so just because 1.5% of amazon reviews report this issue doesn't mean that we can assume that the actual DOA rate is 1.5%

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but you also need to consider writing a review on Amazon is annoying and most people don't do it, but are more likely to if they have a complaint.

id be more inclined to agree in this specific case if we didnt have like, 2 or 3 other generations of the same product to compare it to

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I looked this up and it doesn't seem to be all that common, I was able to find 4 reviews out of the 284 currently available for the 2019 model with this issue on Amazon, that's only around ~1.5% reporting this issue.

I counted 7 reviews on the 1 star just for straight up not powering on, and then there were more where it would turn on but blue screen repeatedly with use. They definitely have some severe QC problems. If you do buy one, I'd get it from amazon so you can just return it to them if/when it breaks in the first month, because the Acer tech support I got was terrible. Two hours on the phone being told to use ports and battery clips that weren't on that model before they agreed to send me a shipping label to mail it to a repair center. When they told me that it would be at least a two week turnaround I just said gently caress it and went for a refund through amazon.

EDIT: Correction- I posted this and noticed I missed two more pages of 1 star reviews and did a recount, bringing the total of "Will not turn on at all" reviews to 11.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 25, 2019

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I counted 7 reviews on the 1 star just for straight up not powering on, and then there were more where it would turn on but blue screen repeatedly with use. They definitely have some severe QC problems. If you do buy one, I'd get it from amazon so you can just return it to them if/when it breaks in the first month, because the Acer tech support I got was terrible. Two hours on the phone being told to use ports and battery clips that weren't on that model before they agreed to send me a shipping label to mail it to a repair center. When they told me that it would be at least a two week turnaround I just said gently caress it and went for a refund through amazon.

EDIT: Correction- I posted this and noticed I missed two more pages of 1 star reviews and did a recount, bringing the total of "Will not turn on at all" reviews to 11.

I just double checked and you're right. The amazon app was being stupid and not loading more reviews as I scrolled down while also not giving any error to let me know that something was wrong. :sigh:

Is there any brand of laptop that is actually reliable? I can find horror stories about all of them including high end ones. Shopping for a laptop feels like navigating a minefield.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

One overlooked "problem" with the smaller Surface Book is that the cpu is passively cooled, which means it will throttle under any moderately cpu demanding game.

CPU throttling in games really sucks, I'm experiencing it (power limit) with BFV and my 7700HQ and the fluctuation in frames is very noticeable.

Hoping the Stealth isn't a Max Q.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Is there any brand of laptop that is actually reliable? I can find horror stories about all of them including high end ones. Shopping for a laptop feels like navigating a minefield.

They all have something wrong with them, yeah. It's more a question of what sort of wrong-ness you're willing to accept at a given price point. The Helios, for example, has always had bad QC issues, but it's so cheap for what you get that it's still worth a recommendation. If you want less QC issues but more kinda confusing design issues, Dell and Lenovo have you covered. If you want sky-high prices and slick hardware with basically no customer support and almost a guarantee of suspiciously early mortality, Razor has a line of laptops with your name on it.

Honestly, Dell and Lenovo's laptops are probably the best for simple "it's not dead" reliability. They might have random other issues, but they'll at least turn on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

One overlooked "problem" with the smaller Surface Book is that the cpu is passively cooled, which means it will throttle under any moderately cpu demanding game.

CPU throttling in games really sucks, I'm experiencing it (power limit) with BFV and my 7700HQ and the fluctuation in frames is very noticeable.

Hoping the Stealth isn't a Max Q.

There are 15" laptops with the 1650 MaxQ in it that still have throttling issues. I would be real surprised if it was a full-fat one.