Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Republicans won’t allow Dems the optics of a “bipartisan” support for impeachment. There will be no hall passes.

mcconnell doesn't have the power to give hall passes or to force anyone to do anything

the calculus that each republican will be looking at is:

1) guilty verdict: pisses off some amount of the base who will refuse to vote and/or gets you primaried
2) not guilty verdict: pisses off some amount of the "pursuadable" people who voted for them last time

what mitch thinks doesn't mean poo poo, they care about how many people they think are in each category above. for most republicans, they don't need anyone from #2 and its an easy not-guity. for collins/gardener, they may be in a no-win situation if and only if the impeachment gets traction with the public

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Clearly Pelosi vapes.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

McConnell will not bring it to the floor. He will name his new rule after a Democrat.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Republicans won’t allow Dems the optics of a “bipartisan” support for impeachment. There will be no hall passes.

What, are they going to withdraw NRSC support from Collins and Gardner? They're on the razor's edge as it is.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the way this got squishy dems onboard is really, really funny

slam all those icky browns in concentration camps and the centrists of the world don't bat an eyelash, but suggest that dear sweet Thadwick might have to get a real job and suddenly it becomes REAL important that they make use of their constitutional powers.
This... doesn't really seem like an accurate reading of the situation to me? It seems more like this is finally triggering impeachment because it's just so straightforward. Russia, the camps, and emoluments all get bogged down in poo poo about what powers the executive has and plausible deniability and whether being monstrous is actually illegal. "Trump directly asked a foreign leader to help smear his political opponent" is way easier to understand, and there's no levels of bureaucracy getting in the way of figuring out whom to blame.

Like the Dems have been poo poo about impeachment, but it seems disingenuous to suggest that they only care this time because a politician's relative happened to be tangentially involved in the situtation.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, what? I just got here, Is impeachment actually happening? Are the dems actually doing something?

We can pretty much guarantee that the impeachment will last through the house. However the Senate is still a hell of a mountain to climb. The best we can probably hope for is a solid record of republicans voting against obvious crimes.

This will basically be a tug of war between the right's dedication to the party vs their dedication to their own self interest.

There is the idea that impeachment inquiries will make people actually listen to subpoenas but we have no idea what will happen there

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, what? I just got here, Is impeachment actually happening? Are the dems actually doing something?

dems are doing something because it looks like trump got caught in brazen crimes and failed at the coverup, crimes that specifically they think might gain traction with the public

they'll move forward with impeachment if it gains traction with the public and quietly drop it if not, but pelosi is moving because the crimes are serious enough the people in swing districts (the ones she needs to keep a majority) swung hard with these revalations

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Flip Yr Wig posted:

What, are they going to withdraw NRSC support from Collins and Gardner? They're on the razor's edge as it is.

Shocked Collins hasn’t announced her retirement yet. Everything I’ve seen is that polling is looking ugly for her.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Sundae posted:

Why not?

I intend that as an earnest question. If the vote falls into his domain to execute (like, let's say, voting on a SC nomination), what stops him from just not bringing it?

'Shall' is constitutional speak for 'must'

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

McConnell will not bring it to the floor. He will name his new rule after a Democrat.

if i had to bet, i would bet that he instead immediately moves it to a vote and doesn't let the senate debate the impeachment at all, rather than just refusing to do anything

however, there is one constitutional quirk that i have not seen discussed anywhere (doesn't mean it hasn't, I just have not seen it): under the constitution, during an impeachment trial, mitch may not be in charge

quote:

6: The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

now, that means that Justice Roberts replaces Pence as presiding officer of the Senate (rather than Mitch, who is not an officer identified by the Constitution) but i wonder to what extent that means that Justice Roberts is now in charge of how the trial happens

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If McConnel refuses to bring impeachment to a Senate vote then Trump can never go on a victory lap about how he was declared innocent.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

bird cooch posted:

The legal remedy for breaking this law is impeachment.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If McConnel refuses to bring impeachment to a Senate vote then Trump can never go on a victory lap about how he was declared innocent.

just watch him

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Sundae posted:

Not yet. What we have so far is "Pelosi to announce a formal impeachment inquiry." She can still drag her heels and stall the clock for plenty of time until the next election.

The inquiry is what we wanted.

The actual vote is nice, but the inquiry was the part we all thought was them wasting an opportunity.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

evilweasel posted:

if i had to bet, i would bet that he instead immediately moves it to a vote and doesn't let the senate debate the impeachment at all, rather than just refusing to do anything

however, there is one constitutional quirk that i have not seen discussed anywhere (doesn't mean it hasn't, I just have not seen it): under the constitution, during an impeachment trial, mitch may not be in charge

now, that means that Justice Roberts replaces Pence as presiding officer of the Senate (rather than Mitch, who is not an officer identified by the Constitution) but i wonder to what extent that means that Justice Roberts is now in charge of how the trial happens

One snag is that the senate sets the rules of procedure for the trial. So they could hold one but provide for hardly any opportunity to present evidence

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

trump went on a victory lap about how a written report exonerated him when it specifically said in black and white it did no such thing

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

goethe.cx posted:

One snag is that the senate sets the rules of procedure for the trial. So they could hold one but provide for hardly any opportunity to present evidence

yeah but then you've got the vulnerable republicans needing to specifically vote for a cover-up

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Retro42 posted:

Shocked Collins hasn’t announced her retirement yet. Everything I’ve seen is that polling is looking ugly for her.

The only thing I can think of with Collins et. al. is that they need to keep up the facade of staying in the fight as long as possible to get as many bribes they can before they lose the primary or general. If they had an offer of a bullshit fluff position on a board somewhere, you’d see them announcing their retirement right away.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

bird cooch posted:

another poster posted:

When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside

That's the part I needed. I know what "shall" means constitutionally. It's also in the nomination clause as well and meant nothing there. In this case, the reason it's probably an actual must is because it specifically puts someone who isn't the SML in charge of the impeachment trial.

Thanks.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

He looks so particularly bad in this picture from today.

I took a few minutes in GIMP to try and see how thick the makeup is:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

This... doesn't really seem like an accurate reading of the situation to me? It seems more like this is finally triggering impeachment because it's just so straightforward. Russia, the camps, and emoluments all get bogged down in poo poo about what powers the executive has and plausible deniability and whether being monstrous is actually illegal. "Trump directly asked a foreign leader to help smear his political opponent" is way easier to understand, and there's no levels of bureaucracy getting in the way of figuring out whom to blame.

Like the Dems have been poo poo about impeachment, but it seems disingenuous to suggest that they only care this time because a politician's relative happened to be tangentially involved in the situtation.

still making it too complicated.

for the first time since the election of Donald Trump, democrats in congress have reason to believe they stand to lose something if he remains in power.

and that has motivated them in a way no amount of institutional disrespect or the little people suffering ever could.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

evilweasel posted:

mcconnell doesn't have the power to give hall passes or to force anyone to do anything

the calculus that each republican will be looking at is:

1) guilty verdict: pisses off some amount of the base who will refuse to vote and/or gets you primaried
2) not guilty verdict: pisses off some amount of the "pursuadable" people who voted for them last time

what mitch thinks doesn't mean poo poo, they care about how many people they think are in each category above. for most republicans, they don't need anyone from #2 and its an easy not-guity. for collins/gardener, they may be in a no-win situation if and only if the impeachment gets traction with the public

This isn't 100% true. McConnel's wife is secretary of transportation and one of the ways that he intimidates other republicans into submission is by threatening to cut highway funds.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

mdemone posted:

Lmao I just realized Mitt is gonna have to vote to acquit, I am deceased

Why? It's not as if his seat is in jeopardy or even in play until 2024, and if I'm not mistaken his status in Utah is more or less unassailable. Maybe he'll lose some clout with the Senate GOP but he's only there to stage a comeback for POTUS.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1176593611963752451
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1176594028160344066

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

MSNBC has a "Dems backing impeachment" ticker and it keeps going up

It was 175, they went to commercial and when they came back it was 178

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Hell yeah.

https://twitter.com/by_the_ppl/status/1176591931444383744

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

evilweasel posted:

Holy poo poo that's an interesting thought. If Roberts deliberately and openly tanks this thing in the senate you can move against the legitimacy of the conservative SCOTUS as well

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Ice Phisherman posted:

This isn't 100% true. McConnel's wife is secretary of transportation and one of the ways that he intimidates other republicans into submission is by threatening to cut highway funds.

Yeah this administration is so corrupt I had forgotten that’s a thing. Jesus, I hope that Trump achieves a moment of cognitive clarity and throws McConnel and his wife under the bus in these impeachment hearings

Edit: just called Rep. McBath and let her aides know that she did a good thing. Please remember to call and thank those who signed on to the impeachment proceedings!

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 24, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1176586090192539648

This sounds like a good way to approach it

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Sundae posted:

That's the part I needed. I know what "shall" means constitutionally. It's also in the nomination clause as well and meant nothing there. In this case, the reason it's probably an actual must is because it specifically puts someone who isn't the SML in charge of the impeachment trial.

Thanks.

I misread, my apologies.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ripoff posted:

Yeah this administration is so corrupt I had forgotten that’s a thing. Jesus, I hope that Trump achieves a moment of cognitive clarity and throws McConnel and his wife under the bus in these impeachment hearings.

Currently she's being investigated for conflicts of interest as well (namely using her position to benefit her family's shipping company) so that's fun.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://i.imgur.com/NPzubpd.gif

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mod edit: this is a gif of trump saying ITS HAPPENING with flashing background graphics; it's possibly epileptic fit inducing

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 24, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The rot of corruption in the Trump Administration goes so deep that I bet the White House janitor has committed at least one felony.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

loving christ between this and Boris Johnson getting owned for "Unlawfully suspending Parliament" it's been a hell of a day.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Feldegast42 posted:

Holy poo poo that's an interesting thought. If Roberts deliberately and openly tanks this thing in the senate you can move against the legitimacy of the conservative SCOTUS as well

I don't think he would, basically for the reason you identify, and also because Roberts will know the outcome of the trial is pre-ordained and will be canny enough to think that it will be better to have had the inevitable aquittal come from a "fair" trial. He doesn't need to answer to people who will be mad about hurting The Leader; he cares about the long-term power of the conservative SCOTUS majority and the republican party as a whole rather than Trump personally (not that many senators like Trump personally, but they answer to constituents that do).

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1176594583804940288

Kinda surprising there wasn't some bizzarro defector like Cruz or Paul

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

No Safe Word posted:

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1176594583804940288

Kinda surprising there wasn't some bizzarro defector like Cruz or Paul

AKA, impeachment changes the calculus in Washington a shitload and forces Republicans onto the defensive

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It is really embarrassing and depressing that this is what it takes to hold a rich and powerful man responsible for his massive crimes but gently caress it I'll take it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Solaris 2.0 posted:

loving christ between this and Boris Johnson getting owned for "Unlawfully suspending Parliament" it's been a hell of a day.

Is anything going to come from that? I haven't seen anyone talk about what will happen is Boris getting removed due to it?