Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Got a First World Problem here.

I love Face ID Aware notifications where the preview only shows when the phone is unlocked. But I hate the same feature when I'm at home and I can't just look at the phone on the table next to me without picking it up. I can't seem to find a shortcut for this setting. Is there one? I'd like to have it automatically turn off when I'm at home or something. Shortcuts are new and exciting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

The stores get deliveries every day. You could definitely get one local before that date.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just place an order for the one you want.

Then every day however often you want just check Apple’s stock by going through the motions of ordering another phone. You can chose store pickup to see if any stores have that specific color/size in stock. If it does either make another order (and cancel the first one) or drive over and hope nobody grabbed it on your way there.

Worse case scenario nobody has stock and you get your phone in October. Best case scenario you get it sooner.

There’s also a website that checks stock automatically (istocknow?) but that site doesn’t load for me right now.
Thanks, y'all. This definitely appears to be the case, as everything except the color I want is back in stock locally.

Is the gold gold, or rose gold? I think I'd be into the former but not the latter.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Just gold, but the back is something of a cream color.

Rose gold hasn’t been a thing for Apple Devices for a number of years, but people keep calling the gold colors rose gold.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Is there something up with the mail app on 13? My phone yesterday quit showing the inbox for some reason and I camt get back to it. It shows every other folder (sent/junk etc)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Fedule posted:

I love Face ID Aware notifications where the preview only shows when the phone is unlocked. But I hate the same feature when I'm at home and I can't just look at the phone on the table next to me without picking it up. I can't seem to find a shortcut for this setting. Is there one? I'd like to have it automatically turn off when I'm at home or something. Shortcuts are new and exciting to me.

Go to Settings>Notifications>Show Previews> and change from "When Unlocked" to "Always"

edit: nevermind I didn't read your whole post.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Keystoned posted:

Is there something up with the mail app on 13? My phone yesterday quit showing the inbox for some reason and I camt get back to it. It shows every other folder (sent/junk etc)

Yeah, Mail in iOS 13 beta was broken. 13.1 should have it fixed, at least in my experience.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So I've gotten like a dozen or so text messages this morning and my phone (new iPhone 11) hasn't made a sound once. And suddenly I looked at my phone and I have a bunch of texts. It's been mostly working fine up until this morning. Silent switch isn't on, nor is Do Not Disturb mode. Is there anything else that might cause this behavior?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

So I've gotten like a dozen or so text messages this morning and my phone (new iPhone 11) hasn't made a sound once. And suddenly I looked at my phone and I have a bunch of texts. It's been mostly working fine up until this morning. Silent switch isn't on, nor is Do Not Disturb mode. Is there anything else that might cause this behavior?

Stupid question, but is your volume turned all the way down? Is there a bluetooth speaker or something attached that's turned down?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Stupid question, but is your volume turned all the way down? Is there a bluetooth speaker or something attached that's turned down?

No and no. The only thing I'm close to that could be affecting it in any way (though I'm not sure how) is a MacBook Pro.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s pretty broken but it is possible to get it to work correctly enough. I’m on a 13 beta but this is what works for me:

In regular DND settings screen set silence to Always. While Driving inherits it’s behavior from regular DND for unknown reasons. I’ve submitted this as a bug because it’s stupid behavior.

Set DNDWD to activate automatically

Get in car, open up maps (I don’t use Waze but presumably this will work the same) and set your route and start driving

After the car has been moving a little bit, swipe down from the top and notifications will change into a single notification saying they’re not gonna come through while driving. Often this action is what kicks it in for some reason. Siri will also change so it doesn’t display anything on the screen.

Yes it’s stupid it has to work this way. It’s only been a feature for multiple years.

Ah thanks, I'll give that a shot on my way home today!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
13.1 just dropped along with the new iPadOS and tvOS. Have yourself an update party.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I woke up this morning and my phone was turned off. Turned it back on and it was at 83% charge.

what

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

I woke up this morning and my phone was turned off. Turned it back on and it was at 83% charge.

what

ok

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
PYF phone charge levels from this morning.

100% for me

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They're asking why the phone powered off. :ssh:

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
The weird part was the phone turning itself off overnight.

I should have specified.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

FCKGW posted:

This wasn’t a 3D Touch feature though, the little magnifying glass had been in phones for a long time.

Oh, sorry, I got lost in the quoting and thought you were talking about 3D Touch'ing for trackpad movement on the keyboard. I miss the magnifying glass, too.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

nm

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

The weird part was the phone turning itself off overnight.

I should have specified.

Check the charger and cable.

Unless they are the ones that came with the phone then :shrug: keep an eye on it.

I had an amazon cable that when I plugged it in it did the SOS thing lol.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: iOS 13.1 is here! Available in Software Update! :siren:

Jose Oquendo posted:

13.1 just dropped along with the new iPadOS and tvOS. Have yourself an update party.

Sorry to repost but I thought this needed emphasis since it's an important bunch of bug fixes.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Fedule posted:

I’d be surprised if that’s possible to be changed with Shortcuts in the first place, but if it can the 13.1 automated triggers would work I think (unless they got delayed again). Like set a home geo fence and enable and disable as you leave and come home.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
drat, I updated to 13.1 and thought it would fix this text message issue, but no such luck.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mahoning posted:

No and no. The only thing I'm close to that could be affecting it in any way (though I'm not sure how) is a MacBook Pro.
Long shot here, but is the MBP on and have Messages open in front? It’ll be receiving the messages and marking them as read maybe, and not alerting you on iPhone cause it’s assuming you already saw them on the Mac.

Maybe just restart the MBP and iPhone. Or turn iMessages off and back on or something.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: iOS 13.1 is here! Available in Software Update! :siren:
Now that it's out, is it safe to remove the iOS 13 beta profile since I'm running the latest 13.1 public beta? I won't have to restore anything if I do?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rageaholic posted:

Now that it's out, is it safe to remove the iOS 13 beta profile since I'm running the latest 13.1 public beta? I won't have to restore anything if I do?

Correct.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

iOS 13 was one of the buggiest x.0 release I’ve had experience with.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

My Mail app acted a little weird sometimes but 13.0 seemed fine to me otherwise. What were the big problems with it?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Weedle posted:

My Mail app acted a little weird sometimes but 13.0 seemed fine to me otherwise. What were the big problems with it?

I think most of mine were on the app side rather than iOS maybe (not sure how that whole dynamic works). Most of the ones I can pin on apple were with the music app (shuffle randomly turning on/off was the biggest annoyance, some album art wouldn’t ever show, volume would get stuck for a while, etc.).

Otherwise it is mostly apps crashing after a specific event, which is probably the dev since most of them are still there now that I’ve tinkered with it.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Is there any reason my wife’s iCloud backup for her phone is over 14GB whereas mine is only 1GB? We both have XRs.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Anybody used Mint Mobile for an appreciable amount of time and know of any red flags (besides the usual MVNO caveats, like maybe being low priority during congestion)? I'm month to month on Verizon now, and don't really care what towers I connect to, as it's rare that I'm not on wifi.

I've been weighing between Visible (Verizon,) Mint (T-Mobile,) and Cricket (AT&T). Visible and Cricket both have dealbreakers to me -- for Visible, it's 4G LTE or nothing, and forced 480p video streaming. Cricket charges $10/mo. for mobile hotspot, and that basically brings my bill up to Verizon prices.

Mint's the only one left, and I see no major downsides, I'm just a little skeptical of the "buy in bulk" nature of it all, as if there's some sort of benefit to buying cellular service in bulk. Seems kinda predatory, like they're tempting you to pay for a year upfront, with no refunds if you aren't happy with the service.

enojy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 24, 2019

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

LODGE NORTH posted:

Hi all, selling the XS Max is harder than any other phone. Thank you for tuning in.

How muchhhh?

E: Found the thread. Hmm, since its unlocked it should work up here in Canada if I pop a Rogers SIM in it, eh? I can prob pick it up at the border too so shipping is fine.

I'll see what I can do.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 24, 2019

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

enojy posted:

Mint's the only one left, and I see no major downsides, I'm just a little skeptical of the "buy in bulk" nature of it all, as if there's some sort of benefit to buying cellular service in bulk. Seems kinda predatory, like they're tempting you to pay for a year upfront, with no refunds if you aren't happy with the service.

I can't speak to Mint personally but this type of thing is very common, that's why a lot of phone "deals" on carriers are basically amortized - they make basically all their money from service charges and the like, so billing you for longer periods of time means more money.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ManSedan posted:

Is there any reason my wife’s iCloud backup for her phone is over 14GB whereas mine is only 1GB? We both have XRs.

Does she send lots of pictures in texts?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

enojy posted:

Anybody used Mint Mobile for an appreciable amount of time and know of any red flags (besides the usual MVNO caveats, like maybe being low priority during congestion)? I'm month to month on Verizon now, and don't really care what towers I connect to, as it's rare that I'm not on wifi.

I've been weighing between Visible (Verizon,) Mint (T-Mobile,) and Cricket (AT&T). Visible and Cricket both have dealbreakers to me -- for Visible, it's 4G LTE or nothing, and forced 480p video streaming. Cricket charges $10/mo. for mobile hotspot, and that basically brings my bill up to Verizon prices.

I've been on it for the past year and honestly I love it. I think they usually have some kind of trial sim you can use, that's how I started out when I transferred from Fi. I can't personally speak to their customer service/refunds since I've never had to use them but they do have a pretty active subreddit where their reps post. Also, I'm on a Pixel but my ex was on it the same time as me with her XR and had no problems

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Sorry, forgot to include the 13.1 release notes from Apple.

Note the activation of U1 features..

Apple posted:

iOS 13.1 includes bug fixes and improvements, including AirDrop with Ultra Wideband technology on iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max, suggested automations in the Shortcuts app, and the ability to share ETA in Maps.

AirDrop
– Ability to select who you want to AirDrop to by pointing from one iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max to another using the new U1 chip with Ultra Wideband technology for spatial awareness

Shortcuts
– Suggested automations in the Gallery personalized to your daily routine

– Personal and home automations for automatically running shortcuts based on triggers

– Home app support for shortcuts as advanced actions in the Automation tab

Maps
– Share ETA to send your estimated time of arrival while your route is in progress

Battery Health
– Optimized battery charging to slow the rate of battery aging by reducing the time your iPhone spends fully charged

– Performance management feature for iPhone XR, iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down, including the option to disable this feature if an unexpected shutdown occurs

– Notifications for when Battery Health is unable to verify if a new, genuine Apple battery is in iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and later

This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements. This update:
– Adds a link to the Me tab in Find My to allow a guest to sign in and locate a missing device

– Includes notifications for when the display on your iPhone is unable to be verified as a new, genuine Apple display in iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max

– Addresses issues in Mail that could cause incorrect download counts, missing senders and subjects, difficulty selecting or flagging threads, duplicate notifications or overlapping fields

– Fixes an issue in Mail that may prevent background downloading of email messages

– Addresses an issue that could prevent Memoji from correctly tracking facial expressions in Messages

– Fixes an issue where photos might not display in the Messages details view

– Fixes an issue in Reminders that prevented some users from sharing iCloud lists

– Resolves an issue in Notes where Exchange notes may not show up in search results

– Addresses an issue in Calendar where birthday events could appear multiple times

– Addresses an issue that could prevent third-party sign in screens from appearing in the Files app

– Fixes an issue that could cause Camera orientation to appear rotated when swiping to it from the Lock screen

– Addresses an issue that could cause the display to sleep while interacting with the Lock screen

– Resolves issues where app icons could appear as blank or as a different app on the Home screen

– Resolves an issue that could prevent supported wallpapers from switching appearances when – changing between Light and Dark modes

– Addresses stability issues when signing out of iCloud from Passwords & Accounts in Settings

– Fixes an issue where signing in to update Apple ID settings could fail repeatedly

– Fixes an issue that could prevent the device from vibrating when connecting to a charger

– Addresses an issue that could cause people and groups in the Share Sheet to appear blurred

– Fixes an issue that could prevent alternate words from displaying when tapping on a misspelled word

– Resolves an issue where multilingual typing could stop working

– Addresses an issue that could prevent switching back to the QuickType keyboard after using a third-party keyboard

– Fixes an issue that could prevent the edit menu from appearing when selecting text

– Fixes an issue where Siri may not read Messages in CarPlay

– Addresses an issue that could prevent sending a message using third party messaging apps in CarPlay

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Since upgrading to the 11 pro max Instagram doesn't let me look at timestamps in DMs, swiping to the left just does nothing. Anyone else seen this? On other devices it's fine? I've even reinstalled the app and rebooted. IDKWTF

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ddogflex posted:

Since upgrading to the 11 pro max Instagram doesn't let me look at timestamps in DMs, swiping to the left just does nothing. Anyone else seen this? On other devices it's fine? I've even reinstalled the app and rebooted. IDKWTF

It’s working for me on my iPhone 11. Are you swiping from the middle of the screen? It doesn’t seem to work if you start the swipe from the right side of the screen.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Mahoning posted:

It’s working for me on my iPhone 11. Are you swiping from the middle of the screen? It doesn’t seem to work if you start the swipe from the right side of the screen.

Yeah I've tried from everywhere. Ugh. I love goofy bugs like this. I use gram DM as my primary communication so this is FUN!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's probably something the Instagram devs are going to have to fix, so you might be waiting a very long time as they are notoriously incompetent and bad at what they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

I said come in! posted:

It's probably something the Instagram devs are going to have to fix, so you might be waiting a very long time as they are notoriously incompetent and bad at what they do.

This is exactly my fear. Hahaha. Goddamnit. They truly take forever to fix ANYTHING.