Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

AKA, impeachment changes the calculus in Washington a shitload and forces Republicans onto the defensive

It's almost like all those people talking about how impeachment was useless were talking entirely out of their asses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The Glumslinger posted:

AKA, impeachment changes the calculus in Washington a shitload and forces Republicans onto the defensive

They'll pull out the knives for Trump if they sense the winds are turning.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
When is Pelosi going to speak?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

No Safe Word posted:

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1176594583804940288

Kinda surprising there wasn't some bizzarro defector like Cruz or Paul

warner already announced that the whistleblower contacted his committee directly. even nutjobs like Cruz or Paul know the report is going to be public soon enough, so there's no sense in throwing yourself on the grenade to try to cover it up. Bill Barr tried to cover it up when nobody knew the report existed; but now it's clear that if all legitimate channels to release it are blocked it's going to show up in an unmarked brown envelope in the Post and the NYT's offices.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think she's scheduled for 5PM

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

5p. Carried by every major network, and probably live on youtube.

Get ready for a loving avalanche of whataboutisms to come.

https://twitter.com/MariannaNBCNews/status/1176595895460057088

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

evilweasel posted:

if i had to bet, i would bet that he instead immediately moves it to a vote and doesn't let the senate debate the impeachment at all, rather than just refusing to do anything

however, there is one constitutional quirk that i have not seen discussed anywhere (doesn't mean it hasn't, I just have not seen it): under the constitution, during an impeachment trial, mitch may not be in charge

now, that means that Justice Roberts replaces Pence as presiding officer of the Senate (rather than Mitch, who is not an officer identified by the Constitution) but i wonder to what extent that means that Justice Roberts is now in charge of how the trial happens

Mitch: we want to adjourn for a week!

House: we don't want to adjourn!

Mitch: oh no we are now in disagreement as to when to adjourn, let me check my pocket constitution to see who can resolve this...oh look at this!

Trump: hay why don't you guys just adjourn until the year 2030

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

There Bias Two posted:

If that happens it will probably be a landslide. Once the party lines start cracking no one will want to be on the wrong side.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

So maybe she isn't using a select committee as a means to slow walk it and shove Nadler aside.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

That this has to loving happen

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1176594171211190272

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

goethe.cx posted:

One snag is that the senate sets the rules of procedure for the trial. So they could hold one but provide for hardly any opportunity to present evidence

The Ol' Kavanaugh

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I wonder if Ways and Means forgave him for all the nonsense he pulled with the budgets.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Tormented posted:

Is anything going to come from that? I haven't seen anyone talk about what will happen is Boris getting removed due to it?
I think the effect of the ruling is essentially that Parliament just goes back into session. There's nothing in the ruling that says anything actually happens to Boris.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I know people point to the impeachment trials for Nixon being the breaking of the dam regarding his approval rating leading in the end to him losing his parties support and the resignation but I’m having trouble believing that can happen again with the right wing media bubble that now exists to literally stop that from happening again. Not saying it’s not worth doing but I don’t know if the dam will ever break for him baring an economic meltdown.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

The Ol' Kavanaugh

And as it happens, guess who was bulldozed on the court to try and make sure Trump got off if he ever was impeached? It's like poetry. It rhymes.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Technically his ichor levels were too low to sustain consciousness, so no pinnochios awarded.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

So they're going to try to impeach him for everything they got?

"We're going to impeach him for..*unrolls a 16 foot scroll*...ok everyone, we're going to be here a while, get comfortable."

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

bird cooch posted:

Unfortunately due to the executive powers and his ability to run roughshod over the supreme Court there hasn't really been a lot of impeachable offenses that are clear-cut in all of that horrible mess

Really? All the nazi bullshit? Embezzling tens to hundreds of millions in government funds?

None of that's a good enough reason for the Democrats?

Caros
May 14, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

I do wonder if some of them are just crossing fingers that it isn't as bad as it sounds.

Trump has been Teflon for so much poo poo I can imagine at least a few of them thinking that it'll just show some light treason and with enough shouts of fake news we will be back to status quo by Monday.

Peraonally I hope they choke on this poo poo.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

goethe.cx posted:

One snag is that the senate sets the rules of procedure for the trial. So they could hold one but provide for hardly any opportunity to present evidence

the more i think about this, the more i think it would be wrong. the house is going to present the most one-sided view of trump's criminality possible before voting on impeachment. mitch gains nothing by blocking any discussion in the senate, because then the Democrats are the only ones who put their story out there. instead, i would expect him (to the extent he can, which I don't know) to put on every scrap of "trump innocent" evidence, and then move to a vote while minimizing the "trump guilty" evidence.

he will need the chance to give trump's defense opening/closing arguments after Pelosi ensures the House puts on the full case for the prosecution*

* if they impeach. i'm not making a prediction they will: just saying that if they actually hold a vote, Pelosi's going to ensure they get as public a record on the evidence as possible first.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So maybe she isn't using a select committee as a means to slow walk it and shove Nadler aside.

But, if you can't trust the reporter from Playboy, who can you trust?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know people point to the impeachment trials for Nixon being the breaking of the dam regarding his approval rating leading in the end to him losing his parties support and the resignation but I’m having trouble believing that can happen again with the right wing media bubble that now exists to literally stop that from happening again. Not saying it’s not worth doing but I don’t know if the dam will ever break for him baring an economic meltdown.

it's all going to come down to what's actually in black and white in the tapes/report/things the report points to

it wasn't the hearings that sunk Nixon, it was the tapes where he openly and unmistakably orders crimes.

basically, you're looking for the exact sort evidence that would force the NFL or an NFL team to punish one of their star players for domestic violence or sex crimes.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Tormented posted:

Is anything going to come from that? I haven't seen anyone talk about what will happen is Boris getting removed due to it?

The UK thread is probably a better place to ask BUT, from what I can gather as an outside American wholly distracted by our own poo poo-show..

..he's hosed, but he doesn't care as his one and only goal is crashing out of Brexit come 10/31. A bunch of prominent UK politicians are calling for him to resign, and I think there are elections scheduled?

It's all confusing as hell and, unlike us here in the U.S., they only have a month to get their poo poo in order lol.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

Holy poo poo that's an interesting thought. If Roberts deliberately and openly tanks this thing in the senate you can move against the legitimacy of the conservative SCOTUS as well

Zero chance Roberts does anything even remotely controversial with it for this exact reason.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm

https://mobile.twitter.com/heatherscope/status/1176596891854880771

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

theflyingorc posted:

But, if you can't trust the reporter from Playboy, who can you trust?

Obligatory "I only read it for the articles" but doesn't Playboy have a respectable journalism department?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The UK thread is probably a better place to ask BUT, from what I can gather as an outside American wholly distracted by our own poo poo-show..

..he's hosed, but he doesn't care as his one and only goal is crashing out of Brexit come 10/31. A bunch of prominent UK politicians are calling for him to resign, and I think there are elections scheduled?

It's all confusing as hell and, unlike us here in the U.S., they only have a month to get their poo poo in order lol.

the reason Boris is pushing so hard for elections is that, under the UK system, he would probably win them (for the precise reason why third parties don't work well in FPTP elections: the opposition is scattered between parties, and he has unified leave voters with the tories, so he can win big with a plurality)

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I hear you, but I think the difference is supposed to be that the investigative committees pull out a shitload of dirty laundry, enough to the point where the people who are indifferent to politics start to understand the depths of the corruption and crimes through cultural osmosis.

Anecdotes =/= evidence and all, but I know of a trust fund kid who reliably votes republican but only from the standpoint of “I want to keep my house and need the tax breaks”. She’s also big into animal rescue orgs and helps out a shitload with charities. The point is to show people like her how disgusting the GOP has become and see if they’ll stay home, or write in Mickey Mouse.

Yes, doing this from the standpoint of stopping people from voting is poo poo, but with our two party system it’s pretty much the only option we have. :shrug:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Obligatory "I only read it for the articles" but doesn't Playboy have a respectable journalism department?

(they're not awful, but it's still pretty unlikely that Playboy's man in Washington is going to get an exclusive scoop on something this important with so many eyes on it)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It will be the actual test of the purpose of Fox News.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh my god imagine if trump decides to speak

https://twitter.com/ChrisMegerian/status/1176595123574104064?s=20

Please look away if this will....offend you

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

No poo poo, there isn't anything there, just like there wasn't with Her Emails or Uranium One.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This could be true given this

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this is true and it's been known for some time. there is no scandal there, it's been definitively disproven. trump and rudy want the ukranians to manufacture one: open an investigation, leak there's an investigation, knowing there's nothing there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

the reason Boris is pushing so hard for elections is that, under the UK system, he would probably win them (for the precise reason why third parties don't work well in FPTP elections: the opposition is scattered between parties, and he has unified leave voters with the tories, so he can win big with a plurality)

Isn't this exactly what May thought too?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Oh Donny, please speak and rage-spittle all over the first three rows of reporters.

Caros
May 14, 2008

evilweasel posted:

it's all going to come down to what's actually in black and white in the tapes/report/things the report points to

it wasn't the hearings that sunk Nixon, it was the tapes where he openly and unmistakably orders crimes.

basically, you're looking for the exact sort evidence that would force the NFL or an NFL team to punish one of their star players for domestic violence or sex crimes.

Yeah, pretty sure you're right on the money here. It isn't just a matter of Trump committing a crime, it is a matter of it being so blatant that it spills out into all manner of news and people hear his actual words day in and day out.

The closest Trump ever came to losing was Access Hollywood, because it was just so blatant that even republicans started to turn on him. At the time, they couldn't force him out of the nomination, but I think if you find something similar, with unconditional proof of a crime, you could see enough republicans swaying that you get the domino effect you usually see when a politician fucks up.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Ripoff posted:

Yes, doing this from the standpoint of stopping people from voting is poo poo, but with our two party system it’s pretty much the only option we have. :shrug:
I don't agree with this. Getting people to no longer vote for a bad actor is a good thing. Removing someone's ability to make the choice is not. Voter suppression bad, voter depression just peachy keen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Here's a stream for Pelosi's statement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDZf6AIhNIo