Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

skylined! posted:

5p. Carried by every major network, and probably live on youtube.

Get ready for a loving avalanche of whataboutisms to come.

https://twitter.com/MariannaNBCNews/status/1176595895460057088

Imagine if we could parley this into cheney releasing all of his transcripts of his dealings with halliburton's multi-billion corruption during the iraq war/reconstruction

All these glorious options to sacrifice some bidens for some real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

skylined! posted:

5p. Carried by every major network, and probably live on youtube.

Get ready for a loving avalanche of whataboutisms to come.

https://twitter.com/MariannaNBCNews/status/1176595895460057088

Honest question, would Biden even have access to those transcripts anymore?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know people point to the impeachment trials for Nixon being the breaking of the dam regarding his approval rating leading in the end to him losing his parties support and the resignation but I’m having trouble believing that can happen again with the right wing media bubble that now exists to literally stop that from happening again. Not saying it’s not worth doing but I don’t know if the dam will ever break for him baring an economic meltdown.

The hearing are going to be broadcast everywhere, likely popping that Fox News bubble. They're certainly try to spin it, but it's going to be insane.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I will say, now that they're impeaching him, they need to take atleast some time to in comittee to really lay out this poo poo. Start calling in witnesses and put them on the spot, preferably with professional lawyers doing the questioning. Skipping right to a vote would be misplaying this, the time in the house before the final vote is their oppurtunity to make their case to the public. The Senate's rules sure as hell wont let them do it there.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Oh boy

https://twitter.com/ChrisMegerian/status/1176599489240535040

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

haveblue posted:

Isn't this exactly what May thought too?

i am not pretending to tell you how the elections will turn out - not least, because predicting exactly how the spoiler effect plays out in each district in the UK is hard as balls when the tories ALSO have a spoiler - just that the people who look at the polls in the UK think that if Boris got the early election he wants, he would be favored. not guaranteed to win, but favored - and that is a loooooooooooong way away from the dead man walking that people think he would be.

the 'remain' strategy seems to be to force him into a delay in the hopes that it breaks his hold on the hard-right "leave" voters, they go back to the brexit party, and the brexit party plays the role of spoiler and torpedos him rather than the greens/libdems/etc playing the role of spoiler to labor

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Christ, I get stuck in meetings all day and like 500 new posts in USPol and the Dems grew a spine. What a day.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I think the effect of the ruling is essentially that Parliament just goes back into session. There's nothing in the ruling that says anything actually happens to Boris.

Not immediately, but this is the one thing he was put in place to do. If he fucks it up and doesn't get Brexit done by Halloween, he's going to be no confidence'd back to the stone age.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've been nervous about impeachment but I think the timing is right.

You see if you're gonna come at the king, you best not miss.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Impactful, because you probably couldn't get the Senate to unanimously agree that the sky is blue.

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1176599864320385025?s=19

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

1glitch0 posted:

probably not, and biden certainly does not have the authority to declassify them and then release them

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

Isn't this exactly what May thought too?

Yeah, I don't think that Boris expects he will recreate his majority in an election, but the only way he can dig himself out is if he does despite the odds. It's a hail mary.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh my god imagine if trump decides to speak

https://twitter.com/ChrisMegerian/status/1176595123574104064?s=20

Please look away if this will....offend you

He is gonna spend the next couple of hours either rage tweeting or drugged up on a couch with his phone taken away

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

lol trump demanding the info be released because his lackies initiated a coverup on his behalf because he's so loving dumb he can't help but always be crimin' is completely believable.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Impactful, because you probably couldn't get the Senate to unanimously agree that the sky is blue.

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1176599864320385025?s=19

What exactly is the R's plan here? That the whistleblower report is a nothingburger, or are they drawing knives for Trump?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

I don't agree with this. Getting people to no longer vote for a bad actor is a good thing. Removing someone's ability to make the choice is not. Voter suppression bad, voter depression just peachy keen.

I want to argue that everyone should vote as a matter of principal but you’re 100% in the right here.

:allears: Here’s hoping some aide on the inside does a tell-all about Donny watching TV this evening.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Ornedan posted:

Really? All the nazi bullshit? Embezzling tens to hundreds of millions in government funds?

None of that's a good enough reason for the Democrats?

No it wasn't simple enough to explain to the Facebook mommies and daddies that are the majority of the American population.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

He's going to throw giuliani out of his penthouse window.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Here come the Tweets

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

ewiley posted:

What exactly is the R's plan here? That the whistleblower report is a nothingburger, or are they drawing knives for Trump?

Since it seems like the whistleblower can and will go speak directly to the House and Senate intel committees, so I'd guess they see there's not really any sense in trying to fight the release of the complaint. Better to be seen complying then spin it once it's out.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 24, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So who will be the first TV pundit to ask the question “was this actually a good day for President Trump?”

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Could he have come up with a term that makes him sound more like a sleepy baby who needs his nap.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

ewiley posted:

Probably get it to the senate so the presiding party can spin it as soon as possible.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
If Trump suddenly resigns and then books it out of the country I wouldn’t be half surprised. He stopped at Trump Tower to grab some briefcases of cash, a fake mustache/eyeglass combo, and new IDs so that his name is Tonald Drump.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

skylined! posted:

Probably get it to the senate so the presiding party can spin it as soon as possible.

Seems like a risky move, they must be pretty confident there's nothing solid in it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ringo Star Get posted:

If Trump suddenly resigns and then books it out of the country I wouldn’t be half surprised. He stopped at Trump Tower to grab some briefcases of cash, a fake mustache/eyeglass combo, and new IDs so that his name is Tonald Drump.

Yes I'm sure he will do a thing that his personality disorders won't even allow him to conceive of

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Ringo Star Get posted:

He knew this was going to happen, that's why he stole that jewelry earlier, to fund his getaway.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Please. It'll be John Miller.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

1glitch0 posted:

Ironically they'd probably be in the obama biden presidential museum or inevitably going to end up there

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The Glumslinger posted:

I will say, now that they're impeaching him, they need to take atleast some time to in comittee to really lay out this poo poo. Start calling in witnesses and put them on the spot, preferably with professional lawyers doing the questioning. Skipping right to a vote would be misplaying this, the time in the house before the final vote is their oppurtunity to make their case to the public. The Senate's rules sure as hell wont let them do it there.

I've been wondering how the Dems are going to gently caress this up next and rushing it through just to go through the motions in a token effort to appease the base would certainly be one way. Gotta get back to voting on pointless message bills.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

skylined! posted:

Yeah but it's going to the House, too.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

skylined! posted:

He's going to throw giuliani out of his penthouse window.

Rudy would just turn into a bat and fly away.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Holy poo poo the press conference started exactly on time. This truly is a historic day.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ewiley posted:

It's a non-binding resolution. Their plan is to pretend they're doing something while actually doing nothing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Thanks for loving up traffic for my commute home!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

bird cooch posted:

No it wasn't simple enough to explain to the Facebook mommies and daddies that are the majority of the American population.

"this guy broke the law by self-dealing" was piss-easy to explain. they just didn't want to. looking into blatantly, constitutionally illegal corruption was just not to be done. for reasons of decorum.

wonder what changed, between then and now.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Here we go.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I just want to say: I would absolutely love it if:
  • the impeachment inquiry wears him down enough to either rage quit or not seek re-election
  • Biden loses the nomination anyway

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Yeah, I don't think that Boris expects he will recreate his majority in an election, but the only way he can dig himself out is if he does despite the odds. It's a hail mary.

no

basically, think of Parliament like the House of Representatives. every district votes, the plurality winner takes the whole seat. it's not proportional representation.

about half of the UK is "leave" and about half is "remain", no need to get more precise than that.

labor is not a remain party. they have substantial amounts of "leave" voters and corbyn will not campaign on a "remain" platform. similarly, the tories were not a "leave" party - they had lots of "remain" voters.

beyond labor, there are some assorted left-wing parties, most notably the Liberal Democrats (formerly a strong third party, but then they sold their soul to join with the tories in a coalition government) who are the only party with a formal "remain" platform. on the right, there's the brexit party, a hard "leave" party. now, you can easily form a coalition when elected: if there's a majority of leftist seats they control parliament even if no one leftist party has a majority.

but that is not the case in the actual election. in a labor v. tories election, the real issue is how many seats that should go "left" or "right" get flipped via the spoiler effect (e.g. 10 conservative votes, 8 labor votes, 4 libdem votes goes to the conservatives despite a "left" majority; or 10 labor, 8 conservatives, 4 brexit). so even if Boris only has a solid 45% of the vote, and the other parties have 55% (numbers picked out of a hat) he has a very good chance of winning, IF he can eliminate the spoiler on his side.

that is what his plan basically has been: he's moved hard towards the brexit party to try to marginalize them and collect all of their votes, while playing on Labor's inability to come out as a hard "remain" party and thereby steal the conservative votes that he places at risk by going hard leave (corbyn being so far left also assists him there, making it easier to hold onto tory remainers). corbyn can't eliminate his spoilers without coming out as a remain party, and he's been more wishy-washy on that than may was.

as a result, boris is favored if he can call an early election, because he may have eliminated his spoiler while corbyn didn't eliminate his. that may change if he's forced past 10/31 and forced to extend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

So thrusday to hand over the complain or what....?