Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

folks, everyone wants to gently caress babe yoda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Vinylshadow posted:

"How can Star Wars make money?"

"Brilliant."

Legs and arms are too long, 2/10.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
"What if we took Yoda, but made him fucky?"

:hmmyes:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

YaketySass posted:

Legs and arms are too long, 2/10.

When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

quote:

The idea that the Force was awakening in all sorts of people instead of being confined to the Magic Space Jesus bloodline of the Skywalkers.

Mace Windu was not a Skywalker.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Necrotizer F posted:

The idea that the Force was awakening in all sorts of people instead of being confined to the Magic Space Jesus bloodline of the Skywalkers.

Serious question - when was this ever the case? The prequels literally had hundreds of non-Skywalker Jedi, and out of the six force-users in the OT, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Palpatine have no connection to the Skywalker bloodline. TLJ fans seem to think that "the force has been democratized, now anybody be a Jedi!" is some sort of rebuttal to the older films when it feels more like a solution in search of a problem. But I guess it's a moot point since Rey's heritage is getting retconned and I guarantee we're never seeing Broomstick Kid again.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The whole point with Anakin was that the force could exist even a slave like him, rather than being confined to the sorts of people that the Jedi care about.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 24, 2019

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Who the gently caress watched even just the OT and thought "Only skwalkers are jedi"?

Luke training a new generation of jedi is the basic idea almost everyone had about what might happen post ROTJ and I guarantee no one thought lukes students would just be his familys next generation.

The last jedi sucked and "democratising the force" is loving redundant.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

As much as I love TLJ, I feel like the broomstick kid scene would have been a really sweet final shot to close out the saga.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Asgerd posted:

Serious question - when was this ever the case? The prequels literally had hundreds of non-Skywalker Jedi, and out of the six force-users in the OT, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Palpatine have no connection to the Skywalker bloodline. TLJ fans seem to think that "the force has been democratized, now anybody be a Jedi!" is some sort of rebuttal to the older films when it feels more like a solution in search of a problem. But I guess it's a moot point since Rey's heritage is getting retconned and I guarantee we're never seeing Broomstick Kid again.

Assuming you limit it to Jedi/fomer Jedi, at the beginning of TFA there are three: Leia, Luke and Kylo who are all of the Skywalker bloodline. Granted that Snoke is something else. But my real point from before was about how chosen/super the various Skywalkers seemed to be in terms of their strength and speed of learning. The idea that Rey had power similar to theirs while being a "nobody" was cool to me and I'm annoyed that this is being retconned.

Up until The Force Awakens, everyone who used the Force had to be taught to do so. Even Anakin with his natural power still needed to learn to unlock that power from the Jedi. In TFA no one taught Rey to do what she did (at the time I even fanwanked that Kylo Ren had inadvertently taught her the Force when they were mind-linked as he was interrogating her). The kid in the stable is the first time we see someone use the Force without being taught to use it assuming you don't count Rey. And with the kid I think you have to count Rey.

Unless the final movie pulls some retconning bullshit (which it kind of already has with loving Palpatine), that's a huge change in the way that the Force works. Prior to TFA & TLJ, the Force was a kind of skill. Even if you were one of the few able to potentially use the Force, you still needed to be taught.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 24, 2019

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Luke pulled his lightsaber from the snow without being taught.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Necrotizer F posted:

Up until The Force Awakens, everyone who used the Force had to be taught to do so. Even Anakin with his natural power still needed to learn to unlock that power from the Jedi. In TFA no one taught Rey to do what she did (at the time I even fanwanked that Kylo Ren had inadvertently taught her the Force when they were mind-linked as he was interrogating her). The kid in the stable is the first time we see someone use the Force without being taught to use it assuming you don't count Rey. And with the kid I think you have to count Rey.

Unless the final movie pulls some retconning bullshit (which it kind of already has with loving Palpatine), that's a huge change in the way that the Force works. Prior to TFA & TLJ, the Force was a kind of skill. Even if you were one of the few able to potentially use the Force, you still needed to be taught.

I don't know, it's pretty well established that Force sensitive people use the Force intuitively all the time. It's why Luke and Anakin were standout pilots before they even knew what the Force was. Even Luke is able to do the lightsaber grab after, what, a cumulative 8 hours of training from Obi-Wan (none of which actually involved moving objects)?

The implication has always seemed to be that a Force user's ability to do Force Stuff is limited mainly by their belief and their imagination.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Necrotizer F posted:

Up until The Force Awakens, everyone who used the Force had to be taught to do so. Even Anakin with his natural power still needed to learn to unlock that power from the Jedi.

Anakin is the only human to survive a podrace. It is heavily implied that this is due to his force abilities. He does this before he even meets a jedi. No training required.

Of course you can also ask yourself how the very first force user learnt to do sweet tricks if you need to be taught it. If training from another is required, there can be no 1st force user, so evidently it can be self-taught.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Luke pulled his lightsaber from the snow without being taught.

Three years after being made aware of his powers.

Not sure if the Death Star shot counts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Something that can be argued is that Luke grew up in an era where it felt like any knowledge of the Jedi had been suppressed. Uncle Owen made drat sure Luke didn't know about any of that poo poo as evident by Obi-Wan having to explain who and what the Jedi Knights were to Luke. Rey and broomstick kid had grown up in an era where the legend of Luke Skywalker and the Jedi were on the up-and-up across the galaxy.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Captain Splendid posted:

Man, these goalposts are shifting pretty quickly.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

garycoleisgod posted:

Anakin is the only human to survive a podrace. It is heavily implied that this is due to his force abilities. He does this before he even meets a jedi. No training required.

Of course you can also ask yourself how the very first force user learnt to do sweet tricks if you need to be taught it. If training from another is required, there can be no 1st force user, so evidently it can be self-taught.

Or the Force runs in cycles. At some earlier time the Force was "awake" and beings learned Force abilities. Then the Force went to "sleep" but some members who'd learned abilities were able to teach them to others who would have manifested them spontaneously but can't since the Force is "asleep."

All living beings draw upon the Force to some degree. When Han Solo attacks the trio of TIEs chasing Luke during A New Hope that was him unconsciously channeling the Force as a burst of skill/luck to let him punk Darth Vader in that moment. Figure Luke did something similar with his shot to take out the Death Star (though by that time he'd gotten at least a little training from Obi-Wan). Figure the same thing happened with Anakin during the pod race and later again the Trade Federation ship.

That all said, channeling the Force in a conscious, controlled manner (telekinetically sweeping a stable, for example) is much different and would normally be a technique that would need to be taught. But since the Force is "awake" some people are able to manifest that ability without training.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
nice fan fiction

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
when Han Solo said "May the Force Be With You" in A New Hope it's because he was a secret Jedi, that's also why he wasn't instantly vaporized when he chased all those stormtroopers down that hallway

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
there was a good meme deliberately juxtaposing donnie yen's character in rogue one with r2d2 and c3po in a new hope both walking through a hail of gunfire untouched because they are one with the force and the force is with them, which is basically that but unironically

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Asgerd posted:

It's the same phenomenon as people claiming that Black Panther was the first black superhero movie, Captain Marvel the first female superhero movie etc. Disney discovered that people buy into their narrative even if it's not true. And if you point it out they always qualify it in a weird way, like this:

Necrotizer F posted:

But my real point from before was about how chosen/super the various Skywalkers seemed to be in terms of their strength and speed of learning. The idea that Rey had power similar to theirs while being a "nobody" was cool to me and I'm annoyed that this is being retconned.

The only one who is really special in terms of strength was Anakin, who was supposed to be the chosen one. Luke is never shown to be especially strong or talented. The only person we see train in the movies is Luke so we can't really compare his speed of learning with anyone else. Kylo seems somewhat strong, but he also gets beaten by Rey and has a hard time with Snoke guards.

Captain Jesus fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 25, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Vinylshadow posted:

"Brilliant."

Fitzy Fitz posted:

a bunch of adults on the internet already want to gently caress this thing

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Asgerd posted:

Surely the EU has you covered if you're in need of broomstick boy adventures.

garycoleisgod posted:

It's not implied, it's outright stated by Qui Gon Jin when he stops Jar Jar from using his tongue to eat an apple. He says that Anakin has a Jedi's reflexes.

Captain Splendid posted:

In addition, he received some basics training from Obi Wan. Him going from there isn't that weird. While we only see him teaching lightsaber basics, but it's implied he taught more.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You can "democratise the Force" by making it so the Jedi are no longer the sole arbiters of the light side but TLJ is a bit muddled there too.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Captain Jesus posted:

It's the same phenomenon as people claiming that Black Panther was the first black superhero movie, Captain Marvel the first female superhero movie etc. Disney discovered that people buy into their narrative even if it's not true. And if you point it out they always qualify it in a weird way, like this:

The only one who is really special in terms of strength was Anakin, who was supposed to be the chosen one. Luke is never shown to be especially strong or talented. The only person we see train in the movies is Luke so we can't really compare his speed of learning with anyone else. Kylo seems somewhat strong, but he also gets beaten by Rey and has a hard time with Snoke guards.

Kylo did do that thing in TFA of catching and holding a blaster bolt mid-shot then redirecting it elsewhere. I don't think even Vader did anything like that. Luke went from untrained novice to master in four-five years. Whatever Leia learned let her survive and fly in the vacuum of space.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Luke and Leia had a metric gently caress ton of midichlorians like their old man did.

It’s like starting a game on level 50 when everyone else starts on level 1. Once he got the hang of it, it came naturally to him.

Darth Vader was a master podracer when he was, like, 8. In a sport where humans usually don’t succeed.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 25, 2019

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Necrotizer F posted:

Kylo did do that thing in TFA of catching and holding a blaster bolt mid-shot then redirecting it elsewhere. I don't think even Vader did anything like that. Luke went from untrained novice to master in four-five years. Whatever Leia learned let her survive and fly in the vacuum of space.

Kylo catching the blaster bolt does stand out because it's never been done in the movies before but it's also the only notable thing he did. I disagree that the movies show Luke become a "master" in the OT. He doesn't do anything that would surpass what we see regular jedi do in PT. He beats Vader but Vader is not really trying to beat him at that point. We don't know what other jedi can learn during 4-5 years because the movies don't show us.

For all we know what Leia did is something that any force user could do. She just pulls herself back to the spaceship through space.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Surviving slighty-longer-than-normal periods without air has been seen before, being in a vacuum doesn't kill you nearly as quickly as you'd think and she was still hosed up for a while after.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

"Brilliant."

Alternate version of Revenge of the Sith where Anakin turns on the Jedi after Padme gives birth to this thing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MrFlibble posted:

Who the gently caress watched even just the OT and thought "Only skwalkers are jedi"?

Luke training a new generation of jedi is the basic idea almost everyone had about what might happen post ROTJ and I guarantee no one thought lukes students would just be his familys next generation.

The last jedi sucked and "democratising the force" is loving redundant.

It's a solution in search of a problem created in Force Awakens with Kylo Ren being a relative and not just some particularly notable student who went bad.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Lucas proved time after time that he does not understand his own work. Best example was when he killed off The Force as mystical energy in the universe and made it measurable by bacteria count. Next he would have given us Stormtroopers with DBZ style midi-chlorian goggles:"Retreat TK-421, his midi-chlorian counter is over 9000, we have no chance!!".

quote:

“There weren’t enough visual or technical leaps forward.

This is so Lucas - the movie's best and most emotional moments happened when the characters interacted with each other, simple backgrounds, atmospheric lighting, no fancy CGI, full focus on the actors. Like: Luke, Ben and R2 in Ben's hut on Tatooine. Han and Greedo. Han and Leia kiss while on the Falcon. Luke meets Yoda. The Vader, Luke and Emperor finale. The huge special effects fireworks only served as background for the real drama. That's no innovation either, but classic Shakespeare, see Macbeth.

Coming up with garbage like the Whills shows it once again. This would take even more away from the main characters, the whole moral conflict, namely if someone uses the Force for the common good - or gives in to his own desires, falls flat on it's face. It no longer matters, since the game is rigged by some unseen cabal.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

Lucas proved time after time that he does not understand his own work. Best example was when he killed off The Force as mystical energy in the universe and made it measurable by bacteria count. Next he would have given us Stormtroopers with DBZ style midi-chlorian goggles:"Retreat TK-421, his midi-chlorian counter is over 9000, we have no chance!!".

I think you could read the talk of midichlorian count as being an indictment of the Jedi and their understanding of the Force.

But that aside, I think the Disney movies have done a lot to demonstrate that Lucas was pretty canny in his desire not to just try rehashing the beats and tone of the OT. Maybe the direction he took the Prequels in was misguided and disappointing, but he was 100% correct not to try recapturing the same lightning in the same bottle. That's a fool's errand.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 25, 2019

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think that's some classic "prequels are so confused you can read everything both ways" BS. The midichlorians angle is mainly pushed by qui gon, who lucas seems to think is the wisest and least misguided jedi. If anything I think the intent is that the other jedi are indicted for not understanding the importance of the midichlorians, which is backed up by lucas's ST era comments. This is just extremely poorly explained, conveyed, and was heavily downplayed in the subsequent films after the initial backlash

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

But it was good when the force was a mystical thing. The more the force is explained the more the story morphs into something else. It's great if Lucas wants to explore other scifi tropes, but he lost sight of why people like the original movies.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

qui gon is right about some things but he's still a prequel era jedi. he's wrong about his superiority over alien races, he's wrong about ignoring the slavery on tattoine, he's wrong about focusing on midichlorians as much as the rest of the jedi

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

He's very in love with the weird story that he wants to tell and seems to fundamentally not understand why other people don't like it

He understand Star Wars fans don’t like his work: he doesn’t care

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

But it was good when the force was a mystical thing. The more the force is explained the more the story morphs into something else. It's great if Lucas wants to explore other scifi tropes, but he lost sight of why people like the original movies.

Again he didn’t care. He purposely set out to do something different

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I said he doesn't understand why people don't like his new ideas. I quoted him above talking about how he knows people don't like them.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think that's some classic "prequels are so confused you can read everything both ways" BS. The midichlorians angle is mainly pushed by qui gon, who lucas seems to think is the wisest and least misguided jedi.

Quigon is a Jedi fundamentalist whose misguided wrecklessness ends up letting Sheev rise to power.

Fans want it both ways, where being a Jedi is pure spirituality and mysticism, but you also get objectively-existing videogame powers with which to launch cars through the air and pwn robots. But you can't actually have it both ways. Once the psychic powers become measurable, they enter the realm of the objective and you eliminate faith.

Faith means saying that Jar Jar and the droids are just as strong. And that's something Quigon doesn't believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lots of people(not Star Wars fans) like the prequels also. So. Not really sure what your point is.