Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Catalyst-proof posted:

I see Executive Time is going well.

Someone’s crying into a bucket of KFC while slamming the Diet Coke button in between each sob. :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

evilweasel posted:

what he did is exactly what he was accused of doing in the russia investigation, except this time he did it directly, on tape

It's because he's gotten away with it once that he was so brazenly careless. (among other things)

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So when does Congress need to pass another budget bill to prevent another shutdown because Trump is gonna refuse to sign anything out of spite.

November 21st! Just in time for the holidays!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
“How dare you investigate a murder before you have all the facts!”

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So why actually “matters” with this? Like will Pelosi just say “oh we didn’t find enough evidence to actually begin hearings”? What’s the most likely scenario from here?

The way I understand-

Doing this starting bit of checking for what to impeach on
Probably go through the hearings interviews etc.
Trump and co stonewall and ignore subpoenas- nothing happens?
House votes to impeach
Goes to senate
Mitch doesn’t impeach?

I’m not trying to be pessimistic but what are the scenarios here?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ripoff posted:

Someone’s crying into a bucket of KFC while slamming the Diet Coke button in between each sob. :qq:

Don't doxx me please.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

evilweasel posted:

i am not pretending to tell you how the elections will turn out - not least, because predicting exactly how the spoiler effect plays out in each district in the UK is hard as balls when the tories ALSO have a spoiler - just that the people who look at the polls in the UK think that if Boris got the early election he wants, he would be favored. not guaranteed to win, but favored - and that is a loooooooooooong way away from the dead man walking that people think he would be.

the 'remain' strategy seems to be to force him into a delay in the hopes that it breaks his hold on the hard-right "leave" voters, they go back to the brexit party, and the brexit party plays the role of spoiler and torpedos him rather than the greens/libdems/etc playing the role of spoiler to labor

Elections after 2019-10-31, because Libdems declined Labour's proposal of vote of no confidence in the current government => form temporary national unity government of all opposition parties + Tory defectors => unity government requests A50 extension from EU and dissolves itself to trigger a general election.

Since that's not happening, the position where Boris Johnson is least likely to be able to cause immediate no-deal crashout is, paradoxically, as leading a government without majority. VONC, but no unity government, would mean no parliamentary oversight until after elections and Johnson gets to set the election date, which he'd set after the current Brexit day.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

evilweasel posted:

what he did is exactly what he was accused of doing in the russia investigation, except this time he did it directly, on tape

It's really amazing the degree to which his pathology is so underlined.

He did it and got away with it with the Russian investigation, and he turned around and did it again like, immediately. Immediately! The same fuckin thing!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

teacup posted:

So why actually “matters” with this? Like will Pelosi just say “oh we didn’t find enough evidence to actually begin hearings”? What’s the most likely scenario from here?

The way I understand-

House votes to impeach
Goes to senate
Mitch doesn’t impeach?

They're going to get the whistleblower report within a few weeks. Either that's as explosive as all of the desperate attempts to cover it up made it sound, and they press forward with that as the central claim and include all of his other assorted criminality, or that winds up being not good enough and things likely stall through the election.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

CubanMissile posted:

The party line. Chris Stewart is on CNN right now saying the same poo poo. Dems don’t even have the facts yet and will end up being “embarrassed” by this like they were about Kavanaugh. :rolleyes:

Even CNN seems baffled. They're going on about that Trump basically already admitted to most of it so.... you know, what's the deal?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

1glitch0 posted:

Even CNN seems baffled. They're going on about that Trump basically already admitted to most of it so.... you know, what's the deal?

you go to cnn with the cover-up you have, not the one you wish you had

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

senator kennedy just called for an investigation into joe biden's son, comparing it to a crime suspect being assaulted by the police?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Something mattered so much that evilweasel returned

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

teacup posted:

The way I understand-

House votes to impeach
Goes to senate
Mitch doesn’t impeach?

We are doing all that we can. We'll put together the evidence, use expanded subpoena power to investigate, and slap in on the table. If it is bad enough that voting against it will alienate center/center-right voters them the senate will fold and he will be impeached, if it isn't then he won't.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

dredging it back up because it's always fun to play "there's always a tweet"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/474134260149157888

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

teacup posted:

The way I understand-

House votes to impeach
Goes to senate
Mitch doesn’t impeach?

All six committees continue investigating, and likely turn up a fuckload more dirt with enhanced powers because this is now an impeachment inquiry. A vote is held, timing depending on public reaction and also what exactly is uncovered. It goes to the senate where ...??... anything goes.

Timing isn't great with the election in about a year; I think at this point ideally they uncover more obvious crimes in about six months and send it to the senate, allow the senate to not convict and the dem nominee to campaign on the many, many crimes uncovered that republican senators handwaived away.

Also politico is now up to 181 dems officially supporting impeachment inquiry, although they still show Pelosi as 'not yet' sooooo who knows.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

teacup posted:

The way I understand-

House votes to impeach
Goes to senate
Mitch doesn’t impeach?

buttloads of investigation of All The Crimes with improved subpoena power

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I think the president did some crimes

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

its not clear to me that actually matters, given that the trump playbook has just been running out the clock rather than winning in court on the previous subpoenas

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

senator kennedy just called for an investigation into joe biden's son, comparing it to a crime suspect being assaulted by the police?

He's melting down on MSNBC right now and it's great.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Dear Mr President,

Nice meltdown!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Ah, so the subpoena was sent to train in the hyperbolic time chamber?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah we might see a man stroke out on television.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

crimedog posted:

wrap it up folks

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

nine-gear crow posted:

OK I just tuned in and this is amazing, this guy sounds (and looks) like a loving muppet character

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

crimedog posted:

You would know

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

crimedog posted:

username/post combo :master:

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

I guess sleep reading through your fascist speech counts as a good day.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

"I agree chuck, and if you were right I would agree with you, but" haha what

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

teacup posted:

The way I understand-

House votes to impeach
Goes to senate
Mitch doesn’t impeach?

I mean your scenario is likely, but there is precedent for impeachment proceedings and the evidence uncovered during them cratering the support of a popular-ish Republican President. See: Nixon, Richard

Is that likely to happen? Probably not. But even in the worst case scenario, getting GOP senators to vote against acquittal can matter for next year’s election when turnout is likely to be super high already.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah we might see a man stroke out on television.

So you're saying he's gone even beyond Zell Miller for incoherent southern senatorial rage?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Tatsuta Age posted:

OK I just tuned in and this is amazing, this guy sounds (and looks) like a loving muppet character

Chuck grew a goddamn spine, this is great. Holy poo poo.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Tatsuta Age posted:

When even Chuck Todd thinks you’re full of it you are waaaaaay out there.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

FizFashizzle posted:

What does that even mean? Republicans are so used to democrats not doing anything they are spiraling. lol

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1176610789119184896

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

haahahahahahahahahahah the desperation is amazing.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1176610391058722816

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Lol after the muller report turned out to be useless I guess Trump figured he could get away with anything.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Reminder Kennedy is probably The Dumbest Senator.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

skylined! posted:

Reminder Kennedy is probably The Dumbest Senator.

I'm pretty sure Tom Cotton is still a senator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

He's definitely a very happy man looking forward to a bright and wonderful future.