Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

evilweasel posted:

the correct response to someone parroting trumps lies on this is actually not to agree with them FYI

No lie in "Biden loving sucks".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Edmund Lava posted:

There was no vote, but no one objected. So it passes without a record of how everyone voted. Nobody is really sure why, but I guess we’ll find out when the spin machine picks up.

Is this an example of where they didn’t object hoping a reasonable amount of other republicans would - and then completely lost that gamble?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

:lol:

It's almost like Congress was hamstringing itself for no reason

I look forward to debating evolution believers on how a bunch of democrats suddenly grew spines outside of divine intervention. :smugmrgw:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is there any point in releasing the transcripts without the whistleblower there to testify? Couldn't Trump just release any transcripts/blatantly edit what he releases otherwise?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Madkal posted:

Is there any point in releasing the transcripts without the whistleblower there to testify? Couldn't Trump just release any transcripts/blatantly edit what he releases otherwise?

At this point doctoring documents would not be out of the realm of believability but it would also more or less be giving Ukraine/other intelligence agencies an obvious source of blackmail over him and they whistleblower would have a pretty easy time of saying "that ain't what I wrote"

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Bill weld and Joe Walsh are having a Republican Primary debate right now. Lots of trash talking Trump. https://www.facebook.com/BusinessInsiderToday/videos/459362141331330/

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

No lie in "Biden loving sucks".

there is when you imply it’s because of the corruption allegations trump is trying to fake

not saying you have to like him, just that you can’t agree with a trump supporter that “they’re both crooks!” that’s literally trumps goal here

you want to say he sucks for any legit reason go right ahead

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Madkal posted:

the whistleblower is in touch with the dems and will say something if the docs are edited

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

USPOL Fall: The Spine, the Speaker and the Slushbrains

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

there is when you imply it’s because of the corruption allegations trump is trying to fake

not saying you have to like him, just that you can’t agree with a trump supporter that “they’re both crooks!” that’s literally trumps goal here

Believing that Trump is playing some sort of mind games that people are “falling into” is a old, dumb, lie.

They are both crooks. That’s not fulfilling a goal of trumps 4d chess game that’s just truth.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

evilweasel posted:

biden's influnece on obama's foreign policy while his son was an investor there was one giant ball of conflicts of interest and it was absurdly improprietous to not have any mechanisms to defuse this conflict

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My idiot representative:

https://twitter.com/RepMoBrooks/status/1176605049826529283?s=20

You can only impeach a president if they did something worse than Bill Clinton. :smug:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WeaponX posted:

Believing that Trump is playing some sort of mind games that people are “falling into” is a old, dumb, lie.

They are both crooks. That’s not fulfilling a goal of trumps 4d chess game that’s just truth.

I’m not corrupt you’re corrupt isn’t 4d chess it’s barely checkers

it’s literally the exact playbook he ran against clinton

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Curly Shuffle posted:

My idiot representative:

You can only impeach a president if they did something worse than Bill Clinton. :smug:

When you definitely know what the 14th amendment says

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
The only answer to any of the Biden stuff is "Biden is not president. And if he did something illegal, he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, stop trying to change the subject"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Curly Shuffle posted:

My idiot representative:

What the gently caress is this guy even citing?

Also, pressuring a country to give you dirt on your political opponent is less of a felony than lying about an affair? Really?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

anyone who actually believes these allegations against Biden is dumber than most trump voters, they are incredibly discredited and that there are people itt who get their facts from Rudy Giuliani is quite depressing

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

WeaponX posted:

Yeah say what you want about Trump it’s pretty clear the guy thinks no more than zero moves ahead at any given time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Curly Shuffle posted:

My idiot representative:

lol what does this guy think equal protection means

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Curly Shuffle posted:

My idiot representative:

I'll be honest, I prefer Mel.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

cheetah7071 posted:

It's just words op

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1176642035190849536?s=20

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Equal protection means if I get busted for an ounce of weed the cops have to let me go because hey come on some other guy got busted with like a pound of coke

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Some main thoughts on this:

1) Trump broke one of the cardinal rules of doing crimes, 'don't break the law in any way that the average person will understand.' The Ukraine poo poo can be summed up clearly in a ten word sentence and is visibly, ridiculously unethical. On top of that, the coverup was illegal and, worse still, utterly ineffectual. As far as committing crimes and getting away with them goes, those are both cardinal sins.

2) There's going to be a realignment in washington if this gains any traction at all because so much of the last few years has been utterly predicated upon the idea that you can just do anything and there are zero consequences and a lot of people have done a lot of corrupt poo poo or said or written things that in a slightly different political climate are going to look really bad at best or outright illegal/corrupt at worst. If law breaking has consequences all of a sudden, that's a big deal for members of congress. Aside from the legal exposure, the entire Trump debacle has the potential to be an albatross around the necks of the GOP for years if the dems play their cards at all correctly.

I really can't stress enough how utterly stupid it is to do a major crime that can literally be summed up in a headline. The mueller report had so much less impact because it took paragraphs to explain its conclusions.

Edmund Lava posted:

There was no vote, but no one objected. So it passes without a record of how everyone voted. Nobody is really sure why, but I guess we’ll find out when the spin machine picks up.

Related to #2 above:

Reminder that whatever the specifics were, they were so bad that a Trump appointee filed the highest level of whistleblower complaint possible and the DNI and the assistant DNI resigned over it. Word in the senate right now is probably that you don't want to end up on the wrong side of this wildly incompetent and politically toxic coverup

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

bird cooch posted:

The only answer to any of the Biden stuff is "Biden is not president. And if he did something illegal, he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, stop trying to change the subject"

No even that's too much. Never engage with the distractions at all or they will run with it.

"We're talking about Trump and what Trump did." is all that is needed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

there's a long answer to why the biden allegations are nonsense, but given that people itt appear to actually have thought "well that alcoholic nutbar on tv who will say anything to get on tv said something that might be useful to me politically" is a sound way of getting some facts we're going to need to simplify this.

what rudy has claimed biden did was get a prosecutor fired for opening an investigation into his son to protect his son.

here's the problem: the prosecutor had dropped the investigation that allegedly implicated biden's kid a year before biden (and the entire EU) advocated for him to be fired because the prosecutor was corrupt

you don't corruptly try to fire the prosecutor who DIDN'T investigate your kid to protect your kid

i hope this has been edifying to people who go "that rudy makes some good points, even if i disagree with him sometimes". there's much more about why it's utter nonsense, of course, but the above is more than enough and simple enough.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

nine-gear crow posted:

I've been loathe to defend Pelosi lately, but she really does have a good zinger game when it's needed.

She’s a jellyfish, all sting and no backbone.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I want him to say that to a lawyer just so I can watch a lawyer's head explode.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Numlock posted:

and will inherit the earth :v:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I'm sure Diamond and Mike Mulvaney are very confident, yeah.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

Edmund Lava posted:

This is what happens when Dems move quickly enough that GOP doesn't have time to receive marching orders and ready the spin machine. None of the Senators know what the play is and they scamper away like the cowards they are.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Some main thoughts on this:

1) Trump broke one of the cardinal rules of doing crimes, 'don't break the law in any way that the average person will understand.' The Ukraine poo poo can be summed up clearly in a ten word sentence and is visibly, ridiculously unethical. On top of that, the coverup was illegal and, worse still, utterly ineffectual. As far as committing crimes and getting away with them goes, those are both cardinal sins.

2) There's going to be a realignment in washington if this gains any traction at all because so much of the last few years has been utterly predicated upon the idea that you can just do anything and there are zero consequences and a lot of people have done a lot of corrupt poo poo or said or written things that in a slightly different political climate are going to look really bad at best or outright illegal/corrupt at worst. If law breaking has consequences all of a sudden, that's a big deal for members of congress. Aside from the legal exposure, the entire Trump debacle has the potential to be an albatross around the necks of the GOP for years if the dems play their cards at all correctly.

I really can't stress enough how utterly stupid it is to do a major crime that can literally be summed up in a headline. The mueller report had so much less impact because it took paragraphs to explain its conclusions.

Related to #2 above:

Reminder that whatever the specifics were, they were so bad that a Trump appointee filed the highest level of whistleblower complaint possible and the DNI and the assistant DNI resigned over it. Word in the senate right now is probably that you don't want to end up on the wrong side of this wildly incompetent and politically toxic coverup

agreed. thats why i think their "might" be a chance the GOP shanks him over this. they care about their grift and their various bullshit and if this poo poo explodes and takes off(which seems likely) they want to sever hard.

Numlock posted:

drat

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

negativeneil posted:

This is what happens when Dems move quickly enough that GOP doesn't have time to receive marching orders and ready the spin machine. None of the Senators know what the play is and they scamper away like the cowards they are.

they didn't object because they knew the report was coming out one way or another, and there's no percentage in being a hero in a failed coverup: either it's a dud and you crow about your transparency or it's something, and you can carefully decide how far to stick your neck out knowing what you're actually dealing with

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

drat! I was really hoping for something in those transcripts! Oh well. Still, better hand them over anyway just to be sure

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1176620642642186240?s=19

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
like say you're going through your day as DNI, you're looking over reports about how the US just blew up 50 farmers in Afghanistan for zero reason, you're reading about the death toll of the famine from the american supported saudi-imposed blockade in Yemen, you're reading the latest about how American farm exports in various sectors have fallen to near zero because of the trade wars, you're reading about threats to concentration camps from jewish never again activists

Then some Trump corruption poo poo comes across your table that is so bad that you decide to resign?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/ajdukakis/status/1176636594645868544?s=20

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Curly Shuffle posted:

My idiot representative:

So brilliant of the founding fathers to write an amendment citing an administration that would not happen for 120 years

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

DeeplyConcerned posted:

drat! I was really hoping for something in those transcripts! Oh well. Still, better hand them over anyway just to be sure

I was initially a bit afraid the transcripts would be harmless, but after Trump attempted a mulligan with Pelosi and now with the White House playing down the whole thing this will probably end up being something insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ripoff posted:

I was initially a bit afraid the transcripts would be harmless, but after Trump attempted a mulligan with Pelosi and now with the White House playing down the whole thing this will probably end up being something insane.

I still don't think they'd be so quick to comply if they knew it was damning. They'd fight more. Maybe it's just me.