Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Clitch posted:

Why do I get the feeling that this guy is the fat virgin doormat of his "friend" group?

I was thinking notable creep that's eager to take drunk girls home, hoping for an "oops".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

DemoneeHo posted:

My [29M] fiancee's [30F] "friend"/coworker slapped me for not giving my fiancee a Pokemon i caught. My fiancee doesn't want to push the issue because of office politics.

:eyepop:

Holy poo poo, I read the whole thing unspoiled and I thought he caught a baseball at a baseball game... what it actually is under the spoilers is 1000x crazier

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

DemoneeHo posted:

According to OP, his fiancée reported an inappropriate coworker to HR at her last job, only for her to get ousted instead. So i won't blame her for having little faith in HR

As for why they didn't press charges or even fight back against Janet, they are spineless.

Seems like a situation where the woman needs to step up. It's her coworker, stand up for your man for Christ sake.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dude could have called the cops and had Janet arrested.

OP said she was yelling at him while assaulting him in front of a thousand witnesses.

I would imagine her arrest would solve the whole work issue too because she'd probably get fired over it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

I misread this as saying there was a paragraph in the shape of a woman's breasts, which made the story a lot more baffling and interesting

Oh gently caress I read the same thing haha I had to go back and read it again.

Heffer posted:

I was thinking notable creep that's eager to take drunk girls home, hoping for an "oops".

It was already discussed that this probably isn’t the case since the friend group pushed him to take her home.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Maybe it was posted in the two pages I skipped to reply, but this is what I always think of when people talk about not having to wash your jeans:
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/not-washing-jeans-for-15-months-ok-healthwise-at-least-study

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I mean, shiny Ponyta is sweet as hell.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Beachcomber posted:

Rename it "1000 witnesses".

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Ok yeah that’s pretty legit.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Scuse me I think someone spilled grey poupon on your horse.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

Putting them in the freezer only makes the bacteria dormant, it doesn't kill them. It probably also introduces more moisture for them to live off of when they thaw out.

A freeze cycle kills about 80% of bacteria.
(80% is not very much. 99.999% is considered reasonable sanitation in the food industry, and sterilisation is about 99.9999999999%)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i saw a lysol ad once where the lady said "it kills 99.9 percent of all harmful GeRmS. and the other 0.1%? they'll probably just give up."

that level of scientifically bankrupt misinformation made me so goddamn heated that i decided to boycott the company

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Sagebrush posted:

i saw a lysol ad once where the lady said "it kills 99.9 percent of all harmful GeRmS. and the other 0.1%? they'll probably just give up."

that level of scientifically bankrupt misinformation made me so goddamn heated that i decided to boycott the company
They can't really say "that other 0.1? Those are the strongest survivors who will breed to create as many bacteria as before, but harder to kill and more dangerous than before."

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

pentyne posted:

Yeah office politics doesn't need to be a thing to press charges for assault.

Plus, HR allowing a supervisor facing charges for assault a subordinate's spouse to stay on in charge of said subordinate would be a slam dunk case. This isn't some workplace policy issue like some guy making weird comments in the office or cooking fish in the microwave, its an actual crime with tons of witnesses.

It's clear from the word salad and that both people were completely incapable of standing up for themselves that they are super, super passive people who can't handle confrontation and even go so far as to continue follow the orders of a "friend" who has blatantly disrespected and assaulted them because "I can't say anything she's my boss"

i'd say "you're cute" but you actually aren't

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

InediblePenguin posted:

i'd say "you're cute" but you actually aren't

This isn't some office gossip, a grown adult hauled off and struck another grown adult in the face in public and lost their poo poo at them.

I get that everyone is supposed to toughen up, kick the poo poo out of someone who attacks them, and never call the cops, but if you're standing by doing nothing while your partner is being physically assaulted because you are afraid of work consequences then you have something wrong in your head.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Bf [17M] wants me [17F] to "try to dress better" on a daily basis - recurring issue.
Hi Reddit,

I apologise if anyone thinks of this as immature. It's just that I can't understand why I feel so strongly against agreeing to his request.

We are both in the same school. Bf doesn't go over the top with his own clothing choices but he supposedly "tries" and regularly keeps up to date on fashion. I on the other hand do try hard to dress up well on some days and I don't on others. It is a simple matter that I am not always in the mood to be thinking about things I consider much more frivolous - my studies is more important to me. I've struggled with depression, body image problems, I have a perfectionistic streak, and have self-harmed before. Please help me understand what it is about his request that upsets me so much! This has been a recurring issue for us.

TLDR; Bf wants me to dress up nicely on a daily basis for school. I don't know why I feel so strongly against agreeing to his request. What should I do about it?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for reporting a pregnant coworker to management after discovering we’re all covering for her?

I am 5 months pregnant, coworker is 4 months pregnant, we work in a small team of 8 and often cover each other shifts, stay back when someone has appointments and generally help each other out. I have been really struggling with my pregnancy and have been careful to schedule appointments on my days off and to take as many precautions as I can to avoid impacting everyone else. Coworker, who is saying that she’s having a wonderful, enjoyable pregnancy, is showing up late, then going for a smoke and a coffee before starting. “I’m just running late, at OBGYN” quickly becomes and hour or more late, and isn’t being noted on her time sheets, so the person covering her isn’t getting paid for that time and it’s especially difficult for me when I’m already struggling physically to not know what time I’ll be able to go home. I recently learned that other coworkers have been covering a significant part of her tasks, because they feel badly for her having to do it whilst pregnant- tasks that I’m still doing and have been doing with ease.

Our manager is very accommodating and has made several offers to purchase alternative equipment and make changes in the workplace, that she has refused (as have I so far) because it’s easy to complete these tasks the way things are now. I know they are not aware that coworker simply isn’t doing those things, because our manager has asked me about it recently.

WIBTA if I discussed this with management? Other staff are complaining to me about the additional workload. I’m also being expected to put in additional effort at a time that I have no extra energy to give. Trying to bring it up with coworker hasn’t made a difference, and other staff have already told me they’re too tired to help me when I’m struggling because they’re already helping her. I’m worried that I’m just being petty about everyone fussing over her, when I’ve been working so hard to not impact the rest of the workplace.

Editing to add: The fact that she’s smoking is A) only relevant because it cuts into my time when I want to go home B) none of our business, whether we like it or not C) possibly because she may be cutting back slowly under doctors orders. I had to wean myself off medications because cold turkey would have significantly increased the risk of miscarriage. I’m not her doctor and you’re not either.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Dancer posted:

Q. Fiancé worried my genes will affect his son’s “package:”

If he's straight, he'll find a woman who prefers smaller dicks and learn to use his tounge and fingers.

If he's gay...look, speaking from experience, 8 or 9 inches is nice to look at, but it's hard to do much with. A more average or even somewhat small size is more fun to actually use.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for toppling over a girl's float and ruined her holiday?

We(9 college young adults) went for a short stay at the beach over the weekend. There were giant floats for rent and most of us were chilling on them on the water while enjoying the sun and breeze.

One of the girls, lets call her Lisa(good friend of my friend, not really close with me), had been constantly splashing me water and giggling away when I told her to stop. She was poking fun at the float I rented, a pink whale, which she said suited me(yeah, I am fat). She then kicked my float repeatedly until it toppled over, and I fell into the water as she laughed. Have to say the sea water was really salty, almost as salty as my feelings.

I swam up to Lisa(guess what, whales can swim!), grabbed hold of 1 end of her jellybean float, and with a sharp twist toppled over her float too. Lisa fell into the water with a scream. That would have been the end of my petty revenge, except that I did not know that Lisa could not swim, and the water was pretty deep there.

With the help of a friend and a stranger nearby we managed to drag Lisa to the shore. She was panicking so hard that she tore the strip on her bikini, and yeah, looked pretty much revealed. She also had makeups on her face which smeared with sea water and tears, guess she never intended to get wet at all. Lisa spent the rest of the holiday indoors and never stepped onto the beach again.

Even though nobody among us openly blamed me for it, I could sense the awkwardness in the air. Lisa completely avoided me and we haven't spoken a word til we parted.

Earlier on the friend who was close to Lisa messaged me and said that I should apologise to Lisa. I am not sure about that. I do feel a little guilty for toppling her float but on the other side, I think she asked for it. AITA?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

This is one of those stories where the person obviously in the right is just looking for validation?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is one of those stories where the person obviously in the right is just looking for validation?

If by validation you mean masturbation yeah.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

blackmet posted:

If he's straight, he'll find a woman who prefers smaller dicks and learn to use his tounge and fingers.

If he's gay...look, speaking from experience, 8 or 9 inches is nice to look at, but it's hard to do much with. A more average or even somewhat small size is more fun to actually use.
I mean the problem is that 'asian men have small penises' is a harmful racial stereotype along the lines of 'black men have huge penises'. The latter is used to paint black people as oversexed and animalistic, the former is used to paint asian people as undersexed and cold, meanwhile white people have just the right balance of sex and intellect.

The 'so what if someone has a small penis' layer of it is just the first layer of bullshit here, the huge stinking shitpile is that fiance is a major racist. Penis size obsessions can at least be worked through.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Only refer to Lisa as "Lifejacket Lisa" in any response you make

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

No, her friends don't think she's in the right and while what she did is fair tit-for-tat it turns out that her actions were more harmful than those against her. She's not the rear end in a top hat (in her telling) but she should apologize.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for talking like the queen?

Me and my boyfriend both live in Essex. I'm originally from South Shields, and I lived there until I was 18, so I'm a Geordie, and I have a thick accent. For anyone unsure of what this accent is, look up Geordie Shore. My boyfriend is originally from Essex, and has a slight accent, but it's barely there, and you wouldn't notice it if you weren't paying attention.

I don't remember how it came up but we were talking and I said "canny". He then stopped the conversation to take the mickey out of my saying canny. I asked him what was so funny, and he said that it just sounds funny when I talk and use slang sometimes. I said that this wasn't the nicest thing to hear, because I'm already self conscious of my accent, which he knew. He doubled down and said that he couldn't explain why he found it so funny, it just was, and said it was like I was talking another language sometimes.

I can, when needed, do a pretty bang on RP accent, where I talk like the queen or someone on the old BBC shows, with no accent at all. So I said "is this more to your liking, darling?" in the accent. He told me to come off it, but I kept it going, and I am planning on keeping it going until he apologizes. I am also refusing to use slang, and am using full versions of words and the royal "we" and "one". I told him this by saying "one will refrain from utilizing such language upon the reception of an expression of regret from the opposing party".

He made the comments at around half 7 and it's nearly half 9 now, and in this time I've either not spoken or only spoken in the accent with the dialect. He's getting more and more frustrated with me but still hasn't said he's sorry in this time. Not only is this beginning to hurt my throat but I'm starting to regret picking a fight over it.

AITA?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

No, her friends don't think she's in the right and while what she did is fair tit-for-tat it turns out that her actions were more harmful than those against her. She's not the rear end in a top hat (in her telling) but she should apologize.

"I'm sorry your nice glass house got wrecked in the brick throwing fight you chose to start knowing full well that your house was much more fragile than mine."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for talking like the queen?

AITA?

Lol at someone from Essex only having a slight accent.

iustorum_anime
Apr 4, 2016

My [29F] husband [31M] has become obsessed with taking over his dad’s company since watching Succession on HBO

quote:

My husband and I were late to the party when it came to Succession on HBO. We finally binge watched the entire first season and all the current season 2 episodes (great show by the way.)

As a side note, my FIL owns a Halloween party type store and it’s not even his main hustle but he’s always been really into Halloween. My husband has become increasingly obsessed with “unseating” his father from the Halloween store and I think this has to do with Succession.

He told me after we watched Season 1 that he was troubled that his father hasn’t named a successor for the Halloween store (I thought he was joking.)

A few days later he posed this question directly to his dad who said nonchalantly that his sister (27) would most likely take over because she lives nearby and doesn’t already work full time but he obviously thought the question was odd because he’s 56 and not really close to being “unfit” to run a Halloween seasonal store.

Then my husband started trying to find evidence that his dad was no longer fit to run the store. He told me he had a meeting with the store “shareholders” but later I found out he had just accosted two teenage boys who had checked into his store on FB and informed them that the store clearly needed new management. He also asked me if I would consider consulting for the store part time remotely as a way to “unravel things from the inside.”

The weirdest thing is that this store is a labor of love and probably makes very little money.

Around this time I realized he was just trying to act out Succession. I accused him of it and he said it’s crazy, it has nothing to do with the show and he just really feels the Halloween store is not safe without a named successor.

Then the sexual stuff got weird. I’m not a stranger to kinks, but he’s now asking me to blow him and spit his load into his mouth. Which is fine, but again this is from Succession. Now that we are watching Season 2 he’s developed a humiliation fetish and just wants me to call him a pathetic worm while he masturbates in the bathroom. He also denies this being related to Succession.

The final straw was when he actually suggested we move 200 miles to live closer to the Halloween store. I’m legitimately worried he could quit his job.

I’m highly concerned this little role play might revolve into drug use. I wouldn’t mind it if it was a joke but literally everything he says is a line from Succession. For example he now says “gently caress off” all the time and asked if a framed portrait in our house would be “too Saddam.” He then denies he’s doing Succession and tells me I’m micromanaging his language.

He is still plotting to take over the Halloween store and our sex life is already ruined so now I’m afraid our financial life is next. If he quits his job to “take over” the store we will be broke. This isn’t the first time he’s become weirdly obsessed with a TV show but in the past I’ve usually been able to ignore it. What do we do?

TLDR: my husband is making some bad choices in order to act out the HBO show Succession and he denies this.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
...im not sure how to intro this one really

AITA for Calling My Little Sister an Entitled Twat After She Suggested She Should Get Extra Votes When She Lost a Family Vote?

quote:

This story really isn't complicated. My family and I have a rule of every big decision goes to a family vote between the five of us, and the majority gets their way. Even though my twin brother and I have moved out, we still get a vote on things that concern us, like family vacation.

Normally, what we do is vote on a location, then we'll figure out how long we can go. We usually try for six days, that way, everyone gets to pick something major for one day, then we can all vote on something for the last.

My sister was particularly miserable this year. We went to NYC for WrestleMania. Family vote was for WrestleMania. My choice was Raw. My twin brother chose Smackdown. Mom chose NXT, and Dad chose the Hall of Fame. Sis chose to go to the Met and was disappointed. She wanted to go to a Broadway show "because the museum sucked," and we voted no because drat, those are expensive!

Well, a few days ago, she brought up the idea that the loser should get extra votes the next time around. Uh-huh. No way. That's not how voting works. We don't say, "Well, Senator Whatsherface lost the last three votes, so she gets four this time," or "Representative Whathisface is feeling left out, so he gets two votes." That's not how voting. She's 17. It's time to stop the coddling. And I said as much.

She got upset and pointed out how even though my brother and I don't live at home anymore, we still get equal say, and that it's not fair. She threw up the basement gym and how a home theatre "would've been shared more." No, it wouldn't've. We have five TVs in that house, and we still fight over the big screen in the living room. Besides, as my brother pointed out, he and I paid half, and Mom and Dad paid half for the remodel, so if anyone shouldn't have gotten a say, it's the person not contributing to the bill.

She went on and on. She wanted a little lap dog. We got a Doberman. Well, first of all, any dog is a lap dog if you try hard enough. Second of all, the local ASPCA had just shut down a breeding kennel, so we rescued him instead of paying $600 for one. Third of all, we're not the sort of people a little frou frou dog needs. The need somebody who take them to the groomer and put bows in their hair, not somebody who is going to look a mud puddle and think "I bet I can get a big splash out of that." It ain't fair to the dog.

We don't watch TV with her. Honey, I tried, but, let's be real, I have watched every episode of Gossip Girl with you, and I still don't get it.

Apparently, she has latched onto this idea that she deserves extra votes, and I don't know where it came from. She said we were being "unfair" and called me a bitch. I called her an "entitled twat" and a "whiny brat."

Mom texted me a little bit ago, saying that sis was still mad at me for being a dick, but I don't really feel like one. I mean, I was harsh, but I don't know that I would say I was out-of-line.

Edit: It seems to need clarifying, but my sister's first choice for her day was to go to the Met. She was disappointed, and she wanted to go to a Broadway show in addition to having already went to the museum. Nobody else was allowed to pick two things on their day.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you can't swim maybe don't go into water where you can't stand???? or learn to swim???? idk

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

if you can't swim maybe don't go into water where you can't stand???? or learn to swim???? idk

Arm floaties duh.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

"I'm sorry your nice glass house got wrecked in the brick throwing fight you chose to start knowing full well that your house was much more fragile than mine."
It's amazing how many people fail to realize that pulling a prank invites retaliation.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

...im not sure how to intro this one really

AITA for Calling My Little Sister an Entitled Twat After She Suggested She Should Get Extra Votes When She Lost a Family Vote?
She's 17. It's time to stop the coddling.
This is a bold statement for a guy who still expects his parents to give him a vote over what to watch in the TV room despite not even living in the same house.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

He charges a small amount because he's not comfortable with charging more. If you do anything creative or arty even just as a dumb hobby you're likely to wind up with people in your social circle hassling you to give them free poo poo all the loving time, and the usual advice for dealing with a family of mooches is to set a pro rate for your labor and always stick to it (cause if you make an exception and anyone else hears about it, the others will never stop demanding one of their own). The OP's just sorta bungling the whole thing cause he lacks the confidence it takes to tell people no.

Even going this route can backfire on you. I offered to repair a roommate's guitar one time, I said I would do it the next day and he offered me like $10 and some beers which I accepted for it and then he came home at 6 and was mad that it wasn't done (edit: in time for his practice, which was cancelled anyway) because he'd PAID ME.

Like bro if you took this to a shop it they would have charged you for an hour of bench time even though it's a 15 minute repair so like $50+ and you wouldn't have got it back the next day anyway, don't expect pro service levels for bubblegum prices, gently caress

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

MagusofStars posted:

This is a bold statement for a guy who still expects his parents to give him a vote over what to watch in the TV room despite not even living in the same house.

Yeah, it's really conspicuous that the one kid who still lives in the family home is the one who never gets her preferences considered or taken seriously. Time to go to an out-of-state college and never look back.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Smirking_Serpent posted:

OP should apologize by saying, "Sorry for almost drowning you after you nearly drowned me"

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Tetramin posted:

I had a stepdad that used to say that he’d bury cats up to their head and run them over with the lawn mower. I still wonder every once in a while if he was serious, I wouldn’t be surprised either way

He was lying. I mean come on, just think of the logistics involved in trying to bury a cat up to its head.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

blackmet posted:

the issue is that the dude fetishizes asian women because he is a weeb but is also racist against asians because he is a weeb.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mill Town posted:

Even going this route can backfire on you. I offered to repair a roommate's guitar one time, I said I would do it the next day and he offered me like $10 and some beers which I accepted for it and then he came home at 6 and was mad that it wasn't done (edit: in time for his practice, which was cancelled anyway) because he'd PAID ME.

Like bro if you took this to a shop it they would have charged you for an hour of bench time even though it's a 15 minute repair so like $50+ and you wouldn't have got it back the next day anyway, don't expect pro service levels for bubblegum prices, gently caress

In general, just don't. Whatever your profession is, providing services for a fee for your friends/family is a fool's errand. Do it for free or refuse the business.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not getting my wife an expensive gift for her birthday because I got promoted at work?

I’ve recently gotten a promotion at work. With the salary increase it should help make us a little more comfortable at home (we have a 1 year old) to add onto it.

Anyways, my wife’s birthday was a few days ago and we had her family over and a few of my family to celebrate the occasion.

I actually got her a few things (one of them was a household appliance, the rest was personal things for her that she had wanted) the household appliance thing pissed her the hell off by the way.

So I spent what I would say a reasonable amount of time trying to get her a nice gift, and basically spent a few hundred dollars on her for her birthday.

Well... when she opened the gifts she was not happy. The look on her face said it all. She made a passive aggressive comment because others took notice of her dislike. It went something like “Oh I was expecting a little more money to go into this” she played if off as not upset in front of people, as soon as they left she confronted me though.

“Seriously... this is all you got me? Where is that extra money going to go to if you’re going to be cheap with me on my birthday?” Even with the promotion, I was planning not to spend anymore than I usually spend.

cold as HELL, she was as serious as you can be. It hurt. I mean I spent time looking for gifts. Thought she would like them and got her a card. Yet somehow she’s still making me feel guilty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Never give someone a kitchen appliance as a birthday/holiday gift unless they specifically ask for it.

My father bought my mother a Salad Shooter for Christmas, 30 years ago. She has never let him forget it.