Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will You Miss Indie Wrestling?
No it sucked
Yes
View Results

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Doors hurt real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

God drat Mance bouncing off of Shlak

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

that ending JESUS

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I don’t normally like triangle matches but that Warner/Shlak/Trenont dealie was a banger

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

"Everybody shout 'big red dick' in unison"

https://twitter.com/danchriswill/status/1175598651202314241 :nws: I guess.

J-Ro fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 22, 2019

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Is Prazak trashed?

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Very much so.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/HeyyImRob/status/1175602135947460608

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

https://twitter.com/DirtyDickinson/status/1175611578982567936

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

lol the Cornette chant

edit: uh oh

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Problematic uncle Tracy Smothers.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I have not heard the "f word" in so long that it was really loving jarring. But goddamn I love these old fuckers coming in and just cutting promos and getting so much heat from these crowds.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tonight we confirmed Marko Stunt fucks

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Goddamn that was a fun show. I love Dave Prazek and KG on commentary.

EDIT: Who was the big bastard that attacked Nick Gage?

VVVVV
Thanks!

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 22, 2019

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ricky Shane Page just signed his own death warrant

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from
GCW is the real #1 promotion

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

Pinche Rudo posted:

Is Prazak trashed?
Was he doing commentary on a show he wasn't in charge of running?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Prazak had also called the 2 BLP shows earlier in the day, so he'd been calling matches since like 12:15 (he showed up late to the first show). If he was trashed, he earned it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

He said spooky gas multiple times so my night was made.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

heel turn posted:

GCW is the real #1 promotion

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

i loved that tracy smothers promo/match(?) but it was too drat long by the end

awesome show though. much happier with this than i was with bloodsport 2

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah the whole NGI was a complete banger.

GCW World Title Nick Gage Invitational 4 Semi Final Three Way Death Match
Nick Gage (c) vs. Kody Rice vs. Matthew Justice
-I didn't know anyone in this match but I liked Kody Rice because he was big.

Nick Gage Invitational 4 Semi Final Three Way Death Match
Jimmy Lloyd vs. Orin Veidt vs. Yuko Miyamoto
-Jimmy Lloyd is slowly morphing into Zandig with hair and that's loving boss.

Mance Warner vs. Matt Tremont vs. SHLAK
-Mance got blood all over a fan, great poo poo

Alex Colon vs. Eric Ryan vs. Markus Crane
-BIG RED DICK

Four Way Match
Alex Zayne vs. Blake Christian vs. Gringo Loco vs. Jake Lander
-crazy flippy poo poo, several WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT moments

Singles Match
Marko Stunt (w/Logan Stunt) vs. Tracy Smothers
-went too long but was worth it because we found out Marko Stunt wants to gently caress Tracy's daughter

GCW World Title Nick Gage Invitational 4 Final Four Way Death Match
Nick Gage (c) vs. Alex Colon vs. Mance Warner vs. Yuko Miyamoto
-Match of the night, insane poo poo

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:woop:

https://twitter.com/GCWrestling_/status/1176307360270376961

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

i love that doors are somehow cheaper than tables now

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
“We love doors like Marty Jannetty loves whores”
-Joey Janela

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

lost my old email posted:

It probably also helps that doors tend to look thicker than tables but are essentially just an empty honeycomb structure with a slim board on each side, so they're easier to handle and take bumps through. Unless of course if they use tables made out of massive oak.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Germansimp posted:

It probably also helps that doors tend to look thicker than tables but are essentially just an empty honeycomb structure with a slim board on each side, so they're easier to handle and take bumps through. Unless of course if they use tables made out of massive oak.

If they cushion impact better and reduce the risk of the Bob Holly back injury, gently caress yeah kill everyone with doors (where context appropriate).

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

They always were, but the home and hardware stores drastically cut back their selection of cheap lovely wooden tables and replaced them with plastic tables.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tables always made sense in the ECW arena because it was a bingo hall, and on indy shows, they use them to do meet and greets and signings and concessions, but why are there just random tables under every ring that just, like, live there on wrestling shows?

Doors are an even bigger stretch and don't make sense at all ever.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

LividLiquid posted:

Tables always made sense in the ECW arena because it was a bingo hall, and on indy shows, they use them to do meet and greets and signings and concessions, but why are there just random tables under every ring that just, like, live there on wrestling shows?

Doors are an even bigger stretch and don't make sense at all ever.

It's wrestling, some things aren't worth overthinking. They are there because it looks cool and is relatively safe when people are thrown through them.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/PrayForPatrick/status/1176614487413141504

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

this sucks. everyone buy his charity shirt and then not wear it outside of a deathmatch show or people will get mad.

https://theindyconnection.com/products/g-raver-unkillable-benefit-tee

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

forkboy84 posted:

It's wrestling, some things aren't worth overthinking. They are there because it looks cool and is relatively safe when people are thrown through them.
I don't completely disagree, but it's a symptom of a greater problem. We say "just don't think about it" a lot in wrestling, and I honestly believe it's one of the biggest barriers of entry to creating new fans.

When you bring friends over to watch wrestling who only know who Hulk Hogan and The Rock and sometimes Goldberg and Austin are, the more times you have to say "I know it doesn't make sense, but just go with it" the less likely they're going to buy in.

The filing of most wrestling shows from the past few decades is they're seriously unapproachable. They're too long, they don't make sense, and they're full of things that we've all become numb to that just shouldn't happen very often if at all.

Up to a point, you should produce every wrestling show like it might be somebody's first. Superhero comics used to do that, and the moment they stopped, they began their long slide into irrelevance and subsequent rebirth into just being an idea farm for more popular media.

Similarly, to hold on to those fans, things need to matter, so the events of the past have to have weight. It's a balancing act. But making a show that makes sense, is approachable, and has continuity isn't some far-flung pipe dream. It's entirely possible to do.

If you make a show just for wrestling fans, the only people who'll watch it are people who are already wrestling fans.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

gently caress irish whips shoot style all the way baby but that battleARTS kind of style where you mix in all the other poo poo it is weird & good and i think jeff hardy was actually in battleARTS in his backyarder gimmick

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

gently caress irish whips shoot style all the way baby but that battleARTS kind of style where you mix in all the other poo poo it is weird & good and i think jeff hardy was actually in battleARTS in his backyarder gimmick

Man, how did I not know that Willow The Wisp was in battleARTS just months before The Hardy Boyz became a regular team in WWF? That's brilliant. Goes to Japan in 1998, does 2 dates, doesn't wrestle for a Japanese group again until Wrestle Kingdom V where he beats the ultimate loser Tetsuya Naito for the TNA championship.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Don't know why doors are your issue in a fed that features bundles of light tubes taped together

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Sub Rosa posted:

Don't know why doors are your issue in a fed that features bundles of light tubes taped together

that is just good... science? the arts? one of those

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

I don't completely disagree, but it's a symptom of a greater problem. We say "just don't think about it" a lot in wrestling, and I honestly believe it's one of the biggest barriers of entry to creating new fans.

When you bring friends over to watch wrestling who only know who Hulk Hogan and The Rock and sometimes Goldberg and Austin are, the more times you have to say "I know it doesn't make sense, but just go with it" the less likely they're going to buy in.

The filing of most wrestling shows from the past few decades is they're seriously unapproachable. They're too long, they don't make sense, and they're full of things that we've all become numb to that just shouldn't happen very often if at all.

Up to a point, you should produce every wrestling show like it might be somebody's first. Superhero comics used to do that, and the moment they stopped, they began their long slide into irrelevance and subsequent rebirth into just being an idea farm for more popular media.

Similarly, to hold on to those fans, things need to matter, so the events of the past have to have weight. It's a balancing act. But making a show that makes sense, is approachable, and has continuity isn't some far-flung pipe dream. It's entirely possible to do.

If you make a show just for wrestling fans, the only people who'll watch it are people who are already wrestling fans.

Eh. The same can be said with every television show. If Dr Gregory House is such a brilliant diagnostician then why does he get it wrong 5 or 6 times before he gets it right? Because drama.

Yes, there are plenty things in wrestling that can take you out of it, but "why are there tables under the ring?" is so minor. It's so you can put someone through a table. It's one step removed from "why do Irish whips work?" and it's because once upon a time wrestling wasn't worked and the fights went on forever and eventually interest waned. So they started working it, and as you work the match you start doing more and more staff that clearly isn't real. Irish whips. Huracarranas. 450 splash. How does a Russian Leg Sweep hurt the guy taking it and not the guy giving it when they both take back bumps?

If you sit down to watch a fantasy show you accept the logic that allows magic and dragons and elves to exist. If you watch a wrestling show you just know there's going to be an excess of tables under the ring.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sure, if you're picking fights with straw people? As long as we're doing that, how dare you call my mom a whore. Clearly you're too upset to be arguing.

There's conceits and then there's conceits. You're never going to have a version of pro wrestling that's realistic. That's not at all what I'm talking about. Tables aren't even a hill I'd die on here, by any stretch. They're just one example of a greater ethos that's been slowly taking over wrestling and that's the issue of cargo culting. Somebody said it about Dolph Ziggler earlier and I've got it on the brain.

Wrestling keeps doing things because it's been doing them without thinking of if it should, or why, or when. Too many things happen just because they happen. Every promo in WWE gets interrupted. Nobody ever comes to the ring, says a thing, then leaves, leaving us wanting more. Why are we doing this? Because we've been doing this. Because Austin and McMahon did this and it worked then, so that's what we'll keep doing because we know it works. Only it doesn't work.

That's more my point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

LividLiquid posted:

Sure, if you're picking fights with straw people? As long as we're doing that, how dare you call my mom a whore. Clearly you're too upset to be arguing.

valued coposter i was agreeing with you in slightly OTT fashion because i am having a bit of a weird one but be assured that i unironically enjoy shootstyle poo poo and also accept your wider point about not doing things a way just because that is the way it is done