Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

luxury handset posted:

politicans are supposed to care about the good of the country more than party politics and their own careers. obviously this is a bad and unworkable assumption but that's how it is intended to go

even if trump doesn't get removed from office there is still some merit in him being damaged by impeachment stuff going into an election

I might have phrased it poorly, the question was sarcastic not earnest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

Tbf, she did have to be dragged kicking and screaming in the most undignified manner possible. I honestly can't think of a way she could have dragged her feet more blatantly and obnoxiously.

I'm not a Pelosi fan. She should have loving given us more information. She should have loving bumbled less. She should have loving rallied the House troops more, as far as we know. But today was the only day I think we finally saw actual numbers for a large group of House Representatives coming out for actual impeachment support (on record / willing to be corrected on this). Lotta House member statements pro impeachment seemed to mention constituent calls?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

tangentionally related question: is anybody aware of any historical times where political norms get horribly broken and then things later return to normal (and remain a democracy), without intervening violence?

I mean, it kind of depends on what you mean by "norms," return to normal," and "intervening violence." But even though Andrew Johnson managed to permanently wreck Reconstruction, impeaching him at least allowed a small amount of healing in the country's political system to take place.

Otteration posted:

I'm not a Pelosi fan. She should have loving given us more information. She should have loving bumbled less. She should have loving rallied the House troops more, as far as we know. But today was the only day I think we finally saw actual numbers for a large group of House Representatives coming out for actual impeachment support (on record / willing to be corrected on this). Lotta House member statements pro impeachment seemed to mention constituent calls?

Yeah, but part of the speaker's job is to be a leader, not a follower. It would have been nice if she had stopped being so worried about those "front line" Dems and started, you know. Leading.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 25, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
e: gah, quote is not edit

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There's some stat that says countries generally go through a massive social upheaval every X years (I wish I could remember the exact figure) and all I remember is we've been overdue for at least a decade so

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That would make shockingly little sense for either of them to be the whistleblower

I agree but would like to know if it’s been ruled out.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

cheetah7071 posted:

What's the point of technically being able to remove presidents if nobody bothers to try until their term is almost up anyways no matter how egregious the crimes

Given how the country is now, it's bold to assume that this isn't the third year of an eight year presidency. It's entirely possible he would win the election

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Given how the country is now, it's bold to assume that this isn't the third year of an eight year presidency. It's entirely possible he would win the election

Don’t go to Vegas

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Don’t go to Vegas

Pretty sure the nation has not stopped being racist as poo poo

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ho hum

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1176664735263182848

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Otteration posted:

Another thing to consider on this point: the one thing Pelosi fans nearly unanimously call as a positive is her supposed ability to wrangle votes / control the house. So when she says she doesn't have the votes / Trump is self-impeaching / whatever the hell else, she's either bad at her job and unable to wrangle votes, or she didn't want to impeach in the first place (and therefore didn't try to get her people in line).

Or alternatively, to put it in graphic form:

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

luxury handset posted:

politicans are supposed to care about the good of the country more than party politics and their own careers. obviously this is a bad and unworkable assumption but that's how it is intended to go

Extremely true. We need to yell at them more than we have done so far.

luxury handset posted:

even if trump doesn't get removed from office there is still some merit in him being damaged by impeachment stuff going into an election

Extremely yep. And the orange poo poo smear is off to his tower to cower. And that bothers him so much. And maybe the rest of this "administration" shall now come under review.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

tangentionally related question: is anybody aware of any historical times where political norms get horribly broken and then things later return to normal (and remain a democracy), without intervening violence?

Nixon's presidency ended amicably but also basically destroyed modern American politics to this day.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

Pretty sure the nationbattleground states have not stopped being racist as poo poo

I mean, the nation too. But the nation doesn't really matter in presidential elections.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

While I would love to see Trump impeached in disgrace, how are we gonna get by Cocaine Mitch?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So it’s beyond clear that Trump was up to deep underhanded poo poo with Ukraine going back months and months. Was all this effort and groundwork really just to get oppo dirt on Joe Biden’s son? Surely there must be some larger thing at work here right? Am I crazy to have the sneaking suspicion that this is the tip of some iceberg that involves Trump compromising our entire intelligence operation?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

skylined! posted:

Please do not claim silverbacks for the Left. He's a libertarian at best.

He’s not really ideological he’s just a sports better and data science nerd who turned to politics since the niche of people who actually try to guess what will happen versus make cool sound bytes is tiny there.

Treating politics like sports is a disturbing thing in its own way but I like his analysis as it’s generally a good place to go for “what is actually most likely to happen.”

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Don’t go to Vegas

“Possible” is very much on the table.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

While I would love to see Trump impeached in disgrace, how are we gonna get by Cocaine Mitch?

this is what i'm waiting for. mitch has to have a link to all of this, and if that's uncovered...my god, the fireworks. it will be better than seeing don go.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

I presume that's the new ambassador?
https://twitter.com/wiczipedia/status/1176659877348958214

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So it’s beyond clear that Trump was up to deep underhanded poo poo with Ukraine going back months and months. Was all this effort and groundwork really just to get oppo dirt on Joe Biden’s son? Surely there must be some larger thing at work here right? Am I crazy to have the sneaking suspicion that this is the tip of some iceberg that involves Trump compromising our entire intelligence operation?

Well, the whistleblowing was supposedly about more than that, though it's unclear if it's about more than one call, or about more than one topic.

What's also strange is that a lot of this story has been kinda public for quite a while... though not the blackmailsh aspect, of course.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/rollcall/status/1176657572541206529

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Arist posted:

She also could have expressed anything but pure antipathy towards the idea, which was incredibly demoralizing to the entire non-chud population.

When? Cite some specific examples. Because at worst she was noncommittal until more information was available. Even the "impeachment is off the table" was taken completely out of context.

Majorian posted:

Yeah, but part of the speaker's job is to be a leader, not a follower. It would have been nice if she had stopped being so worried about those "front line" Dems and started, you know. Leading.

speaker of the house they speak for the majority. the majority just came around in the last 72 hours, really in the last twenty-four.

this isn't hard it's just not what you want to hear.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Yeah because you can throw any 12D chess justification at it but impeachment was still morally correct months ago, kids in concentration camps have been suffering while she enacts her master plan, and people are supposed to do the right thing, not the thing that guarantees their desired result

I know that reading the thread is not en Vogue currently, but something being morally wrong and legally wrong are very different. Those things are bad and wrong and as far as the law of the land goes, not illegal. The law of the land is apparently at the whim of the current administration.

what we got in the last couple of weeks is something that we can explain almost in meme form to the Facebook news gathering dullards that vote in this country.

I dislike Nancy Pelosi but for completely reality-based reasons. The endless armchair quarterbacking and goal post on a conveyor belt poo poo is obnoxious. The support for impeachment literally just came.

Like in the last couple of days

Like there's a loving counter for it.

There is no one person that you can blame for all of this no matter how much you wish it is so. It turns out that the government is messy and complex. Things get that way when you try and govern based on a hundreds of years old document and a justice system that seems to be at the whims of the executive under this administration.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He's trying to act like a mob boss, trying to have dirt on everyone just in case. He's just incredibly dumb.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yes because we had so much legislation just flying through the Senate.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The most predictable thing ever happened.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Democrats: ...this isn't really a threat if you are already doing it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

It is possible to both impeach Donny and have Moscow Mitch blatantly wipe his rear end with the Constitution as he refuses to allow the trial.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

Another thing to consider on this point: the one thing Pelosi fans nearly unanimously call as a positive is her supposed ability to wrangle votes / control the house. So when she says she doesn't have the votes / Trump is self-impeaching / whatever the hell else, she's either bad at her job and unable to wrangle votes, or she didn't want to impeach in the first place (and therefore didn't try to get her people in line).

sausagebeingmade.png

Yep, she should have come out for impeachment on January 20, 2017. Don't know why it didn't happen, not sure anyone does yet. I tend to blame it on us, but that's me. :)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Bush v Gore.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Trump: "Democrats are pursuing impeachment instead of wonderful things for our country. Sad!"

Also Trump: "If you don't stop letting me cheat, I'm gonna turn over the Monopoly board and go home!" :qq:"

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Justice Roberts will be the president of the trial. There's only going to be so much that McConnell can do in theory because each senator is going to have to look at what's presented to them and what's presented to the public and then vote.

So there's no winning easily or even likely in the Senate, but this being an impeachment will put McConnell in a little bit deeper water than normal.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

At least he'll finally shut up about the bill to fund the big beautiful wall.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sundae posted:

I said this in the last thread and I'll say it again--politicians take action to save their own asses, not the country.

F. W. de Klerk did not end apartheid in South Africa out of the goodness of his heart. He might have been one of the moderates, but he was a member of the very National Party that instituted apartheid and played ball with them from the first day he was in a political position to the last day of his presidency. He did it because it would lift the sanctions that the rest of the world made against South Africa and it took him getting elected president and his predecessor resigning because of their failing mental faculties and health. Ending apartheid was the right thing to do. It was a horrible institution that never should have existed in the first place and the only right thing to do with it was to end it. He did the right thing and he insists that he felt it was a horrible system. He did the right thing by releasing Nelson Mandela from prison. But don't ever for a second believe that a member of the National Party, the party that implemented apartheid, ended it because it was the right thing to do. It was to save their own asses.

This is not a defense of politicians who only move for positive change because it polls well. It's loving terrible and I wish people with better intentions were in positions of power, but that's the reality of political power. I would prefer someone who was an activist for LGBTQ rights to be the one to lead the charge in the House to get bills that protected their rights and allowed for same-sex marriage passed, but in the end it was a conservative Supreme Justice's dissent that was the cited reason to legalize same-sex marriage because he was in the losing side of a 5-4 decision.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 25, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

bird cooch posted:

speaker of the house they speak for the majority. the majority just came around in the last 72 hours, really in the last twenty-four.

this isn't hard it's just not what you want to hear.

I like how you just blatantly ignored (or perhaps didn't understand?) the point I made about being a leader and not a follower.

e:

bird cooch posted:

When? Cite some specific examples. Because at worst she was noncommittal until more information was available. Even the "impeachment is off the table" was taken completely out of context.

She flat-out and very testily refused to answer any more questions about impeachment from the press two weeks ago. Have you just not been paying attention until today?

Majorian fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 25, 2019

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So, hypothetically, can one be impeached, removed from office... and then run for that office again and potentially get reelected?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Majorian posted:

I like how you just blatantly ignored (or perhaps didn't understand?) the point I made about being a leader and not a follower.

and did you just rushed to make sweet internet burn instead of reading what I loving wrote?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i just love how its all going to poo poo for them this fast and the leaks are coming quick. its the loving overlook hotel and the ghouls forgot to make the meatpuppet check the boiler and now its blowing and now ghouls are screaming and running.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

bird cooch posted:

and did you just rushed to make sweet internet burn instead of reading what I loving wrote?

I did read what you wrote. What you wrote about the majority not appearing in the House until today was not a valid response to my point. Pelosi could have shown some leadership before today and made that majority appear sooner than almost three years into Trump's term.

Eiba posted:

So, hypothetically, can one be impeached, removed from office... and then run for that office again and potentially get reelected?

e: oops, misread. I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 25, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://twitter.com/StephenAtHome/status/1176656374798962691

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Eiba posted:

Theoretically, yes, IF the removal from office didn't bar them from holding office on the future.